PDA

View Full Version : Roman Zappa....I mean Chapa in trouble

JustRalph
01-18-2015, 08:57 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/twice-banned-for-buzzers-chapa-under-investigation-in-texas/#.VLxNq1TlWDg.twitter

cj
01-18-2015, 09:07 PM
He should get a choice of punishments, either pay all the bettors that had money on the 2nd place finisher, or get buzzed himself every day for the next year five or six times a day...and of course never be allowed to ride again.

Hmmm, Broberg and Asmussen employed him...shocking!

EMD4ME
01-18-2015, 09:17 PM
He should get a choice of punishments, either pay all the bettors that had money on the 2nd place finisher, or get buzzed himself every day for the next year five or six times a day...and of course never be allowed to ride again.

Hmmm, Broberg and Asmussen employed him...shocking!

Sorry, I was a few minutes behind in posting this. Didn't see it was already posted.

Sick of the cheating. Enough already. Handle is down so much, someone do something.

Stillriledup
01-18-2015, 09:22 PM
Sorry, I was a few minutes behind in posting this. Didn't see it was already posted.

Sick of the cheating. Enough already. Handle is down so much, someone do something.

Roman Zappa! Love it!

Some_One
01-18-2015, 09:34 PM
He'll get a year suspension which will be reduced to 15 days on appeal by a judge to be served in 2017. That's usually how it goes in America.

EMD4ME
01-18-2015, 09:36 PM
He'll get a year suspension which will be reduced to 15 days on appeal by a judge to be served in 2017. That's usually how it goes in America.
Do you think the photographer keeps his job or gets any flack for snapping that shot?

horses4courses
01-18-2015, 09:36 PM
Roman Zappa! Love it!

That would make him Dweezil's brother?

Grits
01-18-2015, 09:45 PM
He should have to wear it. In his underwear. Every race.

In the words, of American Sniper, Chief Petty Officer, Chris Kyle

....."this POS needs to be lit up".

jballscalls
01-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Do you think the photographer keeps his job or gets any flack for snapping that shot?

why would the photographer get fired? All he/she did was their job.

Tall One
01-19-2015, 08:46 AM

Article noted that it was a photography company, so for all we know, the photo was taken by a unmannned camera. Great shot none the less catching that shit eating smirk on Chapa's face at 10-1..you see his stats for the meet? 7 starts...5-1-1. :eek: (literally).

They should ban this guy for life.

EMD4ME
01-19-2015, 09:39 AM

If it was a track employee who inadvertently caused the track to get some bad PR, I was just wondering if he/she would be blacklisted or something to that effect. I HOPE not. He/She SHOULD get a promotion and a bonus.

rastajenk
01-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Coady Photography (http://coadyphotography.com/) typically uses two or more photographers shooting from different angles: the typical win-picture at the finish line, and one from inside the rail, as well as paddock shots, winner's circle activity, etc. I'm guessing Chapa didn't realize that, or isn't up to speed on modern photography resolution.

EMD4ME
01-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Coady Photography (http://coadyphotography.com/) typically uses two or more photographers shooting from different angles: the typical win-picture at the finish line, and one from inside the rail, as well as paddock shots, winner's circle activity, etc. I'm guessing Chapa didn't realize that, or isn't up to speed on modern photography resolution.

Glad he didn't realize. Let him rot.

bello
01-19-2015, 10:01 AM
He beat me in the race 8 Groovy Stake as te two I used finished second and third or I would have taken down the P5....This guy really need to go to jail, but he won't

EMD4ME
01-19-2015, 10:59 AM
He beat me in the race 8 Groovy Stake as te two I used finished second and third or I would have taken down the P5....This guy really need to go to jail, but he won't

Funny you say that, that was a carryover pick 5 that handled well and paid 9K or so. He cost me the pick 4 which paid almost 8K.

I'm in the same boat.

bello
01-19-2015, 12:37 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/sports/new-light-on-seamy-role-of-buzzers-in-horse-racing.html?_r=0

Yeah, another fine upstanding individual allowed to stay in the game.

Birds of a feather huh!

Amazing how all the scumbags find each other and find ways to cheat the public. I think Chapa swept the Stakes series at SH this weekend, with a little help from his old friend the ZAPPA.

Piece of crap.

lamboguy
01-19-2015, 12:44 PM
He should have to wear it. In his underwear. Every race.

In the words, of American Sniper, Chief Petty Officer, Chris Kyle

....."this POS needs to be lit up".that's a good one!

thaskalos
01-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Don't worry, folks. Only Chapa is doing it.

green80
01-19-2015, 01:31 PM
They have a picture of the device in his hand and the track says they are going to do an "investigation". What else do we need?

thaskalos
01-19-2015, 01:38 PM
They have a picture of the device in his hand and the track says they are going to do an "investigation". What else do we need?

Well...how do they know that the "device" in his hand wasn't just a stick of lip balm? Some say that he got his last name from his continuous battle against a severe case of chapped lips.

Shemp Howard
01-19-2015, 01:55 PM
“I made an error in judgment. We all make mistakes, however this is about accountability. This was my wake-up call. I also want to apologize to the owners, trainers, and my agent for my lapse in judgment and the embarrassment I have caused.” :eek:

Stoleitbreezing
01-19-2015, 02:09 PM
“I made an error in judgment. We all make mistakes, however this is about accountability. This was my wake-up call. I also want to apologize to the owners, trainers, and my agent for my lapse in judgment and the embarrassment I have caused.” :eek:

Is there a new link where Zappa said this?

bello
01-19-2015, 02:39 PM
Did he really say this.....How about apologizing to the bettors you piece of crap. You cost me 9k. And if you read this I will personally lobby any track you show up at to ban your cheating ass!

Stoleitbreezing
01-19-2015, 03:40 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/89694/jockey-chapa-suspended-pending-investigation

Zappa is now summarily suspended pending further investigation.

Donttellmeshowme
01-19-2015, 04:18 PM
He's done. 5 yrs minimum.

JustRalph
01-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Look at the horse

Stoleitbreezing
01-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Look at the horse

I immediately focused on his hand at first, but seeing this picture again and focusing on the horse's face its clear to me his eyes are looking to his side apparently due to a jolt by Zappa. Very sad to see this horse treated this way by a known cheater. Racing needs to ban this guy for life.

bello
01-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Look at the horse

Says it all doesn't it?

Stoleitbreezing
01-19-2015, 04:33 PM
He's done. 5 yrs minimum.

Should be lifetime ban. No more chances for this guy.

JustRalph
01-19-2015, 04:35 PM
I immediately focused on his hand at first, but seeing this picture again and focusing on the horse's face its clear to me his eyes are looking to his side apparently due to a jolt by Zappa. Very sad to see this horse treated this way by a known cheater. Racing needs to ban this guy for life.

Not sure you can go that far, he could be looking at another horse, but it sure looks like he is keen

biggestal99
01-19-2015, 04:40 PM
Horses hae to be trained to a machine horse and to respomd properly to the machine.

Meet a trainer once and he gave me this story.

He claimed a horse who was running great, but when it ran for him, nothing.

So he went to the groom of the old trainer and said he'd tell him for a c note

MACHINE

so next out he put a machine rider up. Bang wns by 5 at 50-1

The horse never forgot his old training.

Allan

Peter Berry
01-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Life.

Jail.

Next.

Stoleitbreezing
01-19-2015, 04:44 PM
Not sure you can go that far, he could be looking at another horse, but it sure looks like he is keen

This picture was taken from the infield where the photographer was located. I thought the horse drew away and the rail was clear of another horse?

Stillriledup
01-19-2015, 05:12 PM

Apologize to the owners? He's apologizing for making those owners horses run faster? :D

JustRalph
01-19-2015, 06:08 PM
This picture was taken from the infield where the photographer was located. I thought the horse drew away and the rail was clear of another horse?

Didn't know that :ThmbUp:

Guess we need to look for a replay

Robert Fischer
01-19-2015, 06:35 PM
Don't worry, folks. Only Chapa is doing it.
That is a relief.

Get that villain out of here so we can go back to honest business.

Stillriledup
01-19-2015, 06:44 PM
That is a relief.

Get that villain out of here so we can go back to honest business.

Exactly. That's what happened with Babe Dutrow, slap him with a 10 year ban and scare everyone straight.....trainers have been honest ever since.

Ruffian1
01-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Look at the horse

Can anyone post a replay??

I know, I am being lazy. Sorry about that.

Donttellmeshowme
01-19-2015, 08:26 PM
Look at the horse

Definitely a machine

EMD4ME
01-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Definitely a machine

They should ban him for life in the North American Continent. But before doing that, they should offer him a leniency on his ban if he chirps. Help us find out which trainers and other jocks are using a battery and when they did.

JustRalph
01-19-2015, 11:10 PM
Race 9 on the 17th

http://shrp.com/samhouston.asp

for the life of me, if he shocked that horse........ I can't tell

Frost king
01-20-2015, 12:37 AM
Was he whipping or scrubbing the horse?

taxicab
01-20-2015, 01:35 AM
Can anyone post a replay??

I know, I am being lazy. Sorry about that.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/HOU/2015/1/17/9/richard-king-s

Ruffian1
01-20-2015, 08:20 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/HOU/2015/1/17/9/richard-king-s

Thank you !

Guess we need to see where the joint went if indeed he carried one. I would start there.

Donttellmeshowme
01-20-2015, 08:49 AM
Thank you !

Guess we need to see where the joint went if indeed he carried one. I would start there.

Its probably on the track on the clubhouse turn

Tall One
01-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Was he whipping or scrubbing the horse?

He tapped him a few times right handed, but didnt look like he was getting into him that much "Coming out of the clouds". Seemed to have a lot of horse under him and looked to be scrubbing late. Looked like an Eddie D ride on AP Indy, really.

Could he have been putting on an Oscar performance? Maybe. Bet he was $hitting his pants when the stewards called that inquiry after the finish.

/:eek:

Fager Fan
01-20-2015, 12:49 PM

I'm against cheating of any sort so I'm for harsh punishment here. But from what I know, from people who have personally tested out both a whip and a buzzer, a buzzer is MUCH kinder to a horse than the whip. So, if we're going to talk about treatment of the horse in racing, then maybe we should taking away the whip.

thaskalos
01-20-2015, 12:53 PM
I'm against cheating of any sort so I'm for harsh punishment here. But from what I know, from people who have personally tested out both a whip and a buzzer, a buzzer is MUCH kinder to a horse than the whip. So, if we're going to talk about treatment of the horse in racing, then maybe we should taking away the whip.
I was never able to understand this.

If the buzzer is really "much kinder" to a horse than a whip, and the whip is LEGAL...then what need is there for a buzzer?

cj
01-20-2015, 01:32 PM

I find that VERY hard to believe.

bello
01-20-2015, 01:58 PM

If the buzzer is really "much kinder" to a horse than a whip, and the whip is LEGAL...then what need is there for a buzzer?

Being "kinder" and making are horse go faster are two different things. The battery makes a horse go faster and its use cheats the betting public who now are not betting into an even playing field.

thaskalos
01-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Being "kinder" and making are horse go faster are two different things. The battery makes a horse go faster and its use cheats the betting public who now are not betting into an even playing field.
Oh...I didn't know that a "kinder" method of punishment is enough to entice a horse to run faster than if it were subjected to a "harsher" punishment method. Thanks for telling me.

bello
01-20-2015, 02:05 PM
You totally miss my point, but that is ok.

thaskalos
01-20-2015, 02:11 PM
I got your point...but I disagree with it.

I'll believe that a battery is "kinder" than a whip...when D.Wayne Lukas agrees to get zapped by one.

thaskalos
01-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Here is what a pretty famous, and now deceased, trainer told me many years ago:

There are electrical shocks...and then there are hand-held "batteries". The horses are tortured with electrical shocks in the morning...and the hand-held batteries are used during the race, to recreate the "buzz" of the electrical shock...and entice the horse to run faster, for fear that the horse will otherwise be subjected to the entire "electrical shock treatment".

How I continued playing this game after that, I'll never know...

Stillriledup
01-20-2015, 02:28 PM

There are electrical shocks...and then there are hand-held "batteries". The horses are tortured with electrical shocks in the morning...and the hand-held batteries are used during the race, to recreate the "buzz" of the electrical shock...and entice the horse to run faster, for fear that the horse will otherwise be subjected to the entire "electrical shot treatment".

I've never heard the tortured stuff, i've heard other similarly appalling stuff, its disgusting to say the least, i don't know how these people don't get outed and tossed into jail. Tracks would lose business if people knew i guess, no real reason for the track to "Catch" people doing dirty deeds, nothing really in it for them financially.

Stillriledup
01-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Ironically enough, "BUZZERLOB" wins race 2 at SH.

bello
01-20-2015, 02:31 PM

There are electrical shocks...and then there are hand-held "batteries". The horses are tortured with electrical shocks in the morning...and the hand-held batteries are used during the race, to recreate the "buzz" of the electrical shock...and entice the horse to run faster, for fear that the horse will otherwise be subjected to the entire "electrical shock treatment".

They use cattle prods between the legs in harness racing. That is one reason tou see drivers prod horses with the whip by bushing it between their legs dwon the lane.

bello
01-20-2015, 02:33 PM
On a lighter note....

I Just couldn't resist betting the #5 horse BUZZERLOB trained by Steve Asmussen in race 2 at Sam Houston

Healthy $15.40

Fager Fan
01-20-2015, 04:28 PM

And the whip isn't used to make a horse go faster? They both do the same thing, and neither will get a horse to go faster than he's capable of going.

Donttellmeshowme
01-20-2015, 04:47 PM
And the whip isn't used to make a horse go faster? They both do the same thing, and neither will get a horse to go faster than he's capable of going.

I disagree a buzzer will make them go faster.

Stillriledup
01-20-2015, 04:53 PM
I disagree ......a buzzer will make them go faster.
ftfy

Stoleitbreezing
01-20-2015, 05:03 PM

I was wondering what people think about "flagging" where the jockey will show the horse the whip but not hit him. I remember reading an article about jockey techniques and seeing a 3D model of a jockey and horse as it discussed the techniques. I believe the Jockey they mentioned was Russell Baze who in some way helped in the article or research. I tried finding the article link, but I haven't found it yet. It said that some jockeys use flagging techniques as they believe the whip can be counterproductive in some circumstances. Anyone know the link or have an opinion on flagging and why its not used as much as whipping?

biggestal99
01-20-2015, 05:10 PM

Let me come at you with a cattle prod to see how fast you can go lol

Its inhumane treatment of a horse, plain and simple. Its the reason spurs, machines etc are not used in tb racing.

Allan

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2015, 11:58 PM
Don't worry, folks. Only Chapa is doing it.Remember when I told everyone how much more pervasive this was than people think, even on the major circuits, and some told me I didn't know what I was talking about?

If you're caught using one of these things, you should be automatically banned for life...this is one of those unforgivable offenses in my opinion.

thaskalos
01-21-2015, 12:14 AM
Remember when I told everyone how much more pervasive this was than people think, even on the major circuits, and some told me I didn't know what I was talking about?

If you're caught using one of these things, you should be automatically banned for life...this is one of those unforgivable offenses in my opinion.

I remember...and I agreed with you then, and now. This shameful practice is widespread and well known...and the "insiders" are sitting there laughing about it.

RXB
01-21-2015, 12:39 AM
Roman Chapa gets caught with buzzer first time, suspended 19 months. Second time, four years. This time... ??

So, why don't cheating trainers get the same strict types of punishment right from the first offence onward?

Stillriledup
01-21-2015, 04:20 AM
Roman Chapa gets caught with buzzer first time, suspended 19 months. Second time, four years. This time... ??

So, why don't cheating trainers get the same strict types of punishment right from the first offence onward?

This is similar to cheating in baseball a corked bat vs PEDs. The PED guys get WAY more punishment and public scrutiny, the guys who cheat with a "prop" essentially get away with it and don't really have their legacy tarnished, as much.

Look at Geo Brett w Pine tar. He used more than the regulations allowed, and it turns out that he's not viewed as a cheater...for some reason.

JustRalph
01-21-2015, 05:55 AM
You really think that a little extra pine tar made any difference?

If so, come on man?

Donttellmeshowme
01-21-2015, 10:18 AM
I agree the pine tar didnt help

Stillriledup
01-21-2015, 03:28 PM
You really think that a little extra pine tar made any difference?

If so, come on man?

This is the argument that Patriots fans are using, that they would have won anyway. Its ok to cheat as long as it 'doesnt make a difference'?

cj
01-21-2015, 05:48 PM
This is the argument that Patriots fans are using, that they would have won anyway. Its ok to cheat as long as it 'doesnt make a difference'?

Enough about the pine tar and Patriots, get back on topic everyone.

summersquall
01-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Jockey Roman Chapa has been charged with a felony by the Harris County district attorney in connection with his alleged use of an illegal electrical device while riding Quiet Acceleration to victory in the Richard King Stakes at Sam Houston Race Park in Houston, Texas, on Jan. 17. http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/chapa-charged-with-felony-for-alleged-buzzer-use/

Stillriledup
01-26-2015, 10:38 PM
Jockey Roman Chapa has been charged with a felony by the Harris County district attorney in connection with his alleged use of an illegal electrical device while riding Quiet Acceleration to victory in the Richard King Stakes at Sam Houston Race Park in Houston, Texas, on Jan. 17. http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/chapa-charged-with-felony-for-alleged-buzzer-use/

Its pretty funny how he's a felon for trying to make horses go faster, but jocks who make horses go slower are not felons. Makes sense.

fmolf
01-27-2015, 06:28 AM
Nothing short of a lifetime ban will do.He needs to be made an example of.

MutuelClerk
01-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Give the guy a nice warm bath and his buzzer.

thespaah
01-27-2015, 01:41 PM
I vote for 'bunga bunga'

Tom
01-27-2015, 08:53 PM

Tony Black talks about this in detail on Byk last week.
Specific conversation about this guy and buzzers in general.

EMD4ME
01-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Its pretty funny how he's a felon for trying to make horses go faster, but jocks who make horses go slower are not felons. Makes sense.

Great point....

Stoleitbreezing
01-27-2015, 09:08 PM
:p Tony Black talks about this in detail on Byk last week.
Specific conversation about this guy and buzzers in general.

Can you post the link?

luisbe
01-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Last minute wire: Picture was photoshopped.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/89827/jockey-chapa-faces-felony-race-fixing-charges

SansuiSC
01-29-2015, 07:01 PM
It was just featured on ABC's World News Tonight with the caption
"FELONY FINISH"
Stating Felony Charge: Unlawful Influence On Racing

Commentary by Barry Abrams, Host, ESPN "In The Gate" Podcast.

MargieRose
01-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Fox News reported on it this morning. Hope they (and the others) follow up, when this jockey is found guilty and sentenced to the max...of which nothing less would be acceptable.

I like the idea of walk-through metal detectors for anyone coming within fifteen feet of the horse prior to any race, including those at the gate.

Some_One
01-30-2015, 09:22 AM
Are there any photos of Chapa taken from inside where it appears he wasn't using a buzzer? Just wondering what the difference in the grip looks like with his left hand.

Brogan
01-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Are there any photos of Chapa taken from inside where it appears he wasn't using a buzzer? Just wondering what the difference in the grip looks like with his left hand.
That picture IS the inside, and it shows his left hand. His right hand should be holding the stick and the rein, so the grips would not be comparable.

Some_One
01-30-2015, 10:58 AM
That picture IS the inside, and it shows his left hand. His right hand should be holding the stick and the rein, so the grips would not be comparable.

Let me rephase, are there any pictures of any other races of Chapa taken from the inside to compare grips.

Brogan
01-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Let me rephase, are there any pictures of any other races of Chapa taken from the inside to compare grips.
My bad.

Cholly
01-30-2015, 04:32 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/horse-ownertrainer-pish-shocked-over-chapa-buzzer-allegations/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

JustRalph
01-30-2015, 04:42 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/horse-ownertrainer-pish-shocked-over-chapa-buzzer-allegations/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

Pish posh!

whodoyoulike
01-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Last minute wire: Picture was photoshopped.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/89827/jockey-chapa-faces-felony-race-fixing-charges

Since, I speak a little horse. You can see in the picture, the horse's eyes are saying WTF!!!

horses4courses
02-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Jockey accused of cheating in race at Sam Houston Race Park appears in court

http://www.click2houston.com/news/jockey-accused-of-cheating-in-race-at-sam-houston-race-park-appears-in-court/31135956

http://www.click2houston.com/image/view/-/31136128/medRes/2/-/maxh/360/maxw/640/-/kcq3vdz/-/jockey-in-court-2-jpg.jpg

joecam
02-08-2015, 10:42 AM
That is horrendous. Look at the horse's eyes...he's terrified. I hope that jockey is never allowed to race again. He needs an electric prod used on him. Piece of filth animal abuser. NONE of the people involved should be allowed to EVER participate in horse racing again..

joecam
02-08-2015, 10:48 AM
I vote for 'bunga bunga'
Three guys are captured by a tribe of natives in a far off land. They are brought before the tribal leader who gives them a choice. He says, "what will you have, death or bunga?". The first guys thinks, hmmm wonder what bunga is. "I'll take the bunga". The tribal leader says, "good". Then a dozen tribal members line up and give it to him in the rear. The tribal leader turns to the second guy and gives him the choice, death, or bunga. The second guy thinks, hmm, that bunga thing is pretty nasty. But death is permanent, "I'll take the bunga". Tribal leader says, "good", and a hundred tribesmen line up and give him the bunga. The tribal leader gives the choice to the third captive. He thinks a while, hmm, first it was a dozen, then it was a hundred, I don't know man. Heck with it, "I'll take death". The tribal leader says, "good, death .... by bunga".

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2015, 02:13 PM
That is horrendous. Look at the horse's eyes...he's terrified. I hope that jockey is never allowed to race again. He needs an electric prod used on him. Piece of filth animal abuser. NONE of the people involved should be allowed to EVER participate in horse racing again..To be fair, plenty of horses look like that during a race...might have nothing to do with whether or not he's using a buzzer...

But it makes for some good anthropomorphic discussion.

Stillriledup
02-10-2015, 02:34 PM
It might also be a race at night and if it is, there is a huge spotlight near the finish line, that could be a factor in what the horse "thinks" he sees vs how he's feeling from a shock. Also, the horse is running full speed with a ton of adrenaline flowing, we don't even know if the horse feels that shock at that point, if there even was a shock at that point...its hard to just assume the horse has "wild eyes" because of it.

Stoleitbreezing
02-10-2015, 05:15 PM
The corrupt and compromised hang around together it seems. Hard for me to believe he walks free when he's represented by someone with glaring character and image problems worse then him.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/indicted-former-judge-to-represent-chapa-court-hearing-delayed/

Robert Fischer
02-10-2015, 05:32 PM
It might also be a race at night and if it is, there is a huge spotlight near the finish line, that could be a factor in what the horse "thinks" he sees vs how he's feeling from a shock. Also, the horse is running full speed with a ton of adrenaline flowing, we don't even know if the horse feels that shock at that point, if there even was a shock at that point...its hard to just assume the horse has "wild eyes" because of it.

it could be either way
maybe it's the way that same horse would look regardless

maybe it had something to do with the fact that we know the horse was conditioned to a stimuli that causes pain and/or a fight-or-flight response

Difficult to know for sure exactly what is behind his facial expression and eyes. It really matters little either way. Either way, -when most people look at the picture, they will associate the expression that looks traumatized with the cruel stimulus that we know happened to have also taken place. Even if we could some how know for sure that his frightened appearance was somehow unrelated, it would do little good.

Stillriledup
02-10-2015, 05:42 PM
it could be either way
maybe it's the way that same horse would look regardless

maybe it had something to do with the fact that we know the horse was conditioned to a stimuli that causes pain and/or a fight-or-flight response

Difficult to know for sure exactly what is behind his facial expression and eyes. It really matters little either way. Either way, -when most people look at the picture, they will associate the expression that looks traumatized with the cruel stimulus that we know happened to have also taken place. Even if we could some how know for sure that his frightened appearance was somehow unrelated, it would do little good.

No doubt, its hard for the experienced racewatcher to look at that pic and make a case for Chapa....so there's no way the layman would ever be able to look at the pic and not think the horse is being buzzed at that very moment.

whodoyoulike
02-10-2015, 05:43 PM
The corrupt and compromised hang around together it seems. Hard for me to believe he walks free when he's represented by someone with glaring character and image problems worse then him.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/indicted-former-judge-to-represent-chapa-court-hearing-delayed/

You just have to realize, that former judge sees no wrong doing in his clients actions. And, probably doesn't understand why anyone is even upset.

After all, he was a judge. Was he elected or appointed?

horses4courses
03-02-2015, 07:51 PM
.Ray Paulick ‏@raypaulick 47s48 seconds ago
Texas Racing Commission stewards suspend jockey Roman Chapa 5 years, fine him $25,000 - maximum permitted - for use of electrical device 1/2

Ray Paulick ‏@raypaulick 27s28 seconds ago
2/2 Roman Chapa has until Thursday to appeal. Case referred to Texas Racing Commission exec director who has authority to up fine to $100K

Stillriledup
03-02-2015, 08:15 PM

Funny how a guy gets 5 years for trying his hardest to win while guys who specifically drug horses to make them go slower get much less than 5 years.

Stillriledup
03-02-2015, 08:16 PM
So, since "Zappa" is the only guy getting 5 years, he's certainly not the only guy using a "machine" i guess the ruling means its ok to use a buzzer as long as you don't accidentally show up on a photograph from the infield camera man (because we don't ever catch you otherwise)?

Stoleitbreezing
04-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Roman Zappa is now accused of the same violation in the same race with the same horse in 2014. Looks like they may be going through all his win photos to see if there is evidence of the buzzer. Looks like a lifetime ban is forthcoming soon.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/91049/chapa-allegedly-committed-same-offense-in-14#ixzz3WBhAUDlJ

Stillriledup
04-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Roman Zappa is now accused of the same violation in the same race with the same horse in 2014. Looks like they may be going through all his win photos to see if there is evidence of the buzzer. Looks like a lifetime ban is forthcoming soon.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/91049/chapa-allegedly-committed-same-offense-in-14#ixzz3WBhAUDlJ

Its amazing to me that a guy who's trying to WIN, gets a lifetime ban (if it comes to that) but trainers who give "slow down drugs" or instruct their jocks to pull horses back, are given wrist slaps. Same happened w Pete Rose, he bet on his team to win, he tried hard to win and cash his bet, and got a lifetime ban.

Appy
04-02-2015, 11:18 PM
"Its amazing to me that a guy who's trying to WIN, gets a lifetime ban"

Cheating is not winning. If you get away with it and spend the winner's purse, you did not win it. You stole it. Big difference between a winner and a thief.

PaceAdvantage
04-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Its amazing to me that a guy who's trying to WIN, gets a lifetime ban (if it comes to that) but trainers who give "slow down drugs" or instruct their jocks to pull horses back, are given wrist slaps. Same happened w Pete Rose, he bet on his team to win, he tried hard to win and cash his bet, and got a lifetime ban.You're amazing to me.

Stillriledup
04-06-2015, 06:59 PM
"Its amazing to me that a guy who's trying to WIN, gets a lifetime ban"

Cheating is not winning. If you get away with it and spend the winner's purse, you did not win it. You stole it. Big difference between a winner and a thief.

I'm not condoning trying "too" hard to win, just trying to make a comparison between those who are "trying" and those who are trying to lose on purpose. Seems like trying too hard thru cheating is much worse than stiffing.