PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of movies...Fury...

PaceAdvantage
01-18-2015, 03:47 PM
I thought this was an excellent movie...has to rank right up there among the best WW II movies made in recent times...

Anyone else see it? Surprised it got shut out of any Oscar nominations...guess American Sniper (which I haven't seen) and Imitation Game (also haven't seen yet) was enough for the Academy and Fury would have been "too much war at the top"

In any event, I highly recommend this one if you haven't seen it and are roaming around On-Demand for something to watch...

It IS brutal in its depiction of war...but hey...it's war...

davew
01-18-2015, 04:05 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but releases on Netflix dvd on 1/27 so will see it soon after that.

fast4522
01-18-2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks Mike, up here we have RED BOX and that movie will be in the machines on Tuesday.

baconswitchfarm
01-18-2015, 05:19 PM
I thought this was an excellent movie...has to rank right up there among the best WW II movies made in recent times...

Anyone else see it? Surprised it got shut out of any Oscar nominations...guess American Sniper (which I haven't seen) and Imitation Game (also haven't seen yet) was enough for the Academy and Fury would have been "too much war at the top"

In any event, I highly recommend this one if you haven't seen it and are roaming around On-Demand for something to watch...

It IS brutal in its depiction of war...but hey...it's war...

I have seen both movies and sniper was better. With that said , I mean sniper was a 9 and fury was 7.5 . They were both really good movies. The only thing about fury was that I thought the guy from "walking dead " really gave a better performance than Brad Pitt. That guy is for sure going to start getting bigger roles. For people who enjoy war movies both movies are must see.

zico20
01-18-2015, 05:48 PM
I saw Fury and I thought it was boring. The movie dragged on, especially the raft scene. Being a history buff, the time spent in the POW camp was nothing I didn't already know. If someone has no idea what life was like, then yes I would recommend it. But for me, I didn't learn anything new that I didn't know going in.

For someone who knows nothing about WW2 then I would rate it a 7 out of 10. For everyone else. it gets a 3 of 10.

baconswitchfarm
01-18-2015, 07:14 PM
I saw Fury and I thought it was boring. The movie dragged on, especially the raft scene. Being a history buff, the time spent in the POW camp was nothing I didn't already know. If someone has no idea what life was like, then yes I would recommend it. But for me, I didn't learn anything new that I didn't know going in.

For someone who knows nothing about WW2 then I would rate it a 7 out of 10. For everyone else. it gets a 3 of 10.
I think you have some confusion .

zico20
01-18-2015, 07:28 PM
I think you have some confusion .

Like what.

baconswitchfarm
01-18-2015, 07:32 PM
Like what.

Like you are not talking about the movie that is the topic of the thread.

PaceAdvantage
01-18-2015, 07:38 PM
I saw it last night...and don't recall any raft scene... :eek: :lol:

But maybe I'm blocking it out due to it being such a bore...

rastajenk
01-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Sounds like maybe he's talking about Unbroken.

zico20
01-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Like you are not talking about the movie that is the topic of the thread.

You are right. But I did see The Fury. I was thinking about Unbroken. However, I thought Fury was boring to. Not enough action in it for me. The scene where they were in the womens' house was way too long. There have been much better movies war movies.

Grits
01-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Fury came and went, here, very quickly. Not even sure it stayed a full week.

Dahoss2002
01-19-2015, 12:36 AM
I enjoyed it. Very long time since I seen a movie bout WW2. Really liked the comradery of the tank crew and how the new guy finally fit it. Have not seen American Sniper yet but Im sure it is great as well.
"Enemy at the gates" was another good sniper movie from ww2. Wish they would do one about Carlos Hathcock from the Vietnam war.

RunForTheRoses
01-19-2015, 09:24 AM
I just saw Fury and it was a real good solid movie. Did a good job of showing the horrible elements of war. I think it is not getting as much recognition is that it did not show a full heroic journey, just a little brief meetup with the denizens of the Fury tank.

delayjf
01-19-2015, 06:36 PM
It finally showed up in my local 2 dollar movie theater - I'm all in.

delayjf
01-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Saw it last night. WOW - it was intense. Great movie

davew
01-31-2015, 12:29 PM
watched it on Netflix dvd

Definitely one of the best WWII movies I have seen.

I actually liked it more than American Sniper, but it could be that Brad Pitt is a better actor.

Grits
01-31-2015, 06:11 PM
I actually liked it more than American Sniper, but it could be that Brad Pitt is a better actor.

Pitt's a fine actor, really like him, but he's been nominated 3 times for his acting roles and has yet to take home the Oscar. I thought he would win for Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Cooper has been nominated, this year now makes three years straight. This has only happened for 9 actors in Academy history. I thought he was a lock for Silver Linings Playbook.

Michael Keaton has already won a GGlobe for Birdman and Eddie Redmayne has won a SAG for The Theory of Everything.

Nothing's a lock.

fast4522
01-31-2015, 06:23 PM
I just saw Fury and it was a real good solid movie. Did a good job of showing the horrible elements of war. I think it is not getting as much recognition is that it did not show a full heroic journey, just a little brief meetup with the denizens of the Fury tank.

I agree with you, I watched it Wednesday night. I watch so many movies that I need to contrast the type movies that every other or maybe two action or comedies abut.

tucker6
01-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Just saw the Loft today in the theater. Brilliant acting and directing. A must see for anyone who like a great whodunit. Five guys own a loft where they cheat on their wives until a woman is found dead in the bed. Awesome movie. Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

PaceAdvantage
02-04-2015, 01:34 AM
Just saw the Loft today in the theater. Brilliant acting and directing. A must see for anyone who like a great whodunit. Five guys own a loft where they cheat on their wives until a woman is found dead in the bed. Awesome movie. Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.Really? It got one of the worst ratings I've seen lately on rottentomatoes.com (a whopping 9% out of 100 approval rating).

Usually, RT's ratings are spot-on...better than IMDB in my opinion...

Then again, RT's ratings are higher up on the "snob factor" scale than most movie rating sites...

Dave Schwartz
02-04-2015, 01:00 PM
we rented it on red box last night. My impression was that there was no plot, be on "war is ugly." that message was sent in the first 20 minutes.

However, by the end of the movie, we both agreed it was an excellent picture.

Regarding Rotten Tomatoes: movies that are generation specific - targeting twenty-somethings often get inflated ratings for the first couple of weeks. After that, the ratings seem to come into line.

Conversely, movies aimed at Baby Boomers are often underrated for the first couple of weeks.

For my tastes, IMDb does a great job of rating movies that have been out for a while. A 7+ rating on IMDb just about guarantees a good show for my tastes.

tucker6
02-04-2015, 02:36 PM
interesting posts. RT gives Loft a 9 out of 100. IMDb gives it a 6.9 out of 10. However, just like anything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It didn't do well at the box office apparently, but then again neither did It's a Wonderful Life. I thought it was suspenseful. Certainly better than a 9 out of 100. Haters gonna hate. :D

FantasticDan
02-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Watched Fury a couple nites ago.. I'd give it a B+. Sure, the caricatures were heavy-handed, but the overall quality of the production more than compensated. Rough movie. Certainly demonstrated that war is anything but glorious.

In this article, a WW2 tank veteran says the reality was even worse than the movie:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/oct/24/fury-movie-tank-veteran-sherman-verdict-realistic