PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Awards

thespaah
01-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Untappable Wins Eclipse Award for top 3 YO Filly.
Of note..Untappable was named first on all 265 ballots, making her a unanimous choice.
Last time:....Blame.....Champion Older Horse of 2010.
Now up......3 YO colt.....
The nominees.....
Bayern
Shared Belief.
California Chrome
Winner.......CC...Steve Coburn accepts.....Wearing that cowboy hat.....UGH....
And now.....Horse of the Year.....

thespaah
01-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Alex Waldrop of the NTRA to name the nominees..
Bayern
California Chrome
Main Sequence...
And the winner is .....California Chrome..
And here once again...The Cowboy Hat......

taxicab
01-17-2015, 11:21 PM
The only surprise to me was Chad Brown not getting the nod for trainer.
I'm glad Untapable was a unanimous choice......she really deserved it.
Victor Espinoza was the rider of 2yo Male/2yo Filly/3yo Male/HOY.....pretty good year for Victor.
And a good night for City Zip....sire of Dayatthespa & Work All Week.
Connections of Chrome rolled the dice on the grass,that might of sealed the deal.......if he loses the Hollywood Derby he gets nothing.

marksinger
01-18-2015, 12:09 AM
I loved that California won. Well deserved.
I watched most of the awards on Hrtv. Very enjoyable.
It was very down to earth .

JustRalph
01-18-2015, 02:49 AM
Can't believe the pissed off cowboy wins HOY by a 2-1 vote?

rastajenk
01-18-2015, 07:03 AM
He made a good effort to redeem himself, and maybe voters appreciated that, in a way. It's not as if he was pissed off all year, he just had a bad week.

Tom
01-18-2015, 09:17 AM
It's about the horse, not the horse's ass.

Izzy2742
01-18-2015, 09:38 AM
It's about the horse, not the horse's ass.
:ThmbUp:
I'm sure many people "like" this quote

Redboard
01-18-2015, 09:47 AM
I believe the win in the Hollywood Derby clinched it for him. That was a gutsy move by the connections to run him there. I know it wasn’t the greatest of fields but surface matters- he could very well have finished up the track. I can’t remember the last time we had three 3YrOlds of this quality since Hard Spun, Curlin, & Street Sense. Makes for an interesting 2015.

PaceAdvantage
01-18-2015, 04:14 PM
I believe the whole thing was ridiculous.

#1 - it was ridiculous to think Coburn would have any effect on the voting...for the most part, voters aren't that shallow and they KNOW it's about the HORSE, not the owner, when it comes to these two awards (3yo & HOY).

#2 - it's ridiculous to think voters WERE THAT SHALLOW THIS YEAR, that they allowed what in reality was a NON-ISSUE to somehow taint the virtue of Bayern...the ridiculous notion that he somehow created a huge advantage for himself at the start of the BCC with his non-foul. Look at the overhead view again to see just what a farce that notion was.

So, it's all ridiculous.

It's obvious this vote has become nothing but a popularity contest except in the most obvious of years.

No way does California Chrome deserve Horse of the Year with his dismal showings after the Triple Crown and his abysmal head-to-head record against Bayern.

Stillriledup
01-18-2015, 04:26 PM

#1 - it was ridiculous to think Coburn would have any effect on the voting...for the most part, voters aren't that shallow and they KNOW it's about the HORSE, not the owner, when it comes to these two awards (3yo & HOY).

#2 - it's ridiculous to think voters WERE THAT SHALLOW THIS YEAR, that they allowed what in reality was a NON-ISSUE to somehow taint the virtue of Bayern...the ridiculous notion that he somehow created a huge advantage for himself at the start of the BCC with his non-foul. Look at the overhead view again to see just what a farce that notion was.

So, it's all ridiculous.

It's obvious this vote has become nothing but a popularity contest except in the most obvious of years.

No way does California Chrome deserve Horse of the Year with his dismal showings after the Triple Crown and his abysmal head-to-head record against Bayern.

You can make a case in many years that some other horse deserved it. You know?

If the horse that many made a case for in many years won, the other people would have made a case for the actual winner.

Why not just honor the winner and accept that the winner of the award is horse of the year? Why is that so hard.?

PaceAdvantage
01-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Why not just honor the winner and accept that the winner of the award is horse of the year? Why is that so hard.?I'll repeat what I just wrote to someone else in another thread:

Do you ever actually read the shite you post up here at times?

I could post the same exact drivel to you every time you complain and FAIL TO HONOR a steward decision somewhere in the universe... :lol:

Stillriledup
01-18-2015, 05:17 PM
I'll repeat what I just wrote to someone else in another thread:

Do you ever actually read the shite you post up here at times?

I could post the same exact drivel to you every time you complain and FAIL TO HONOR a steward decision somewhere in the universe... :lol:

One steward making the call isnt the same as a LOT of voters making a call. If there were 99 stewards voting and it was first to 50 wins, i would have much more tolerance for decisions they made.

Also, when i dont "honor" the stewards decisions, i'm arguing for the faster horse who got placed down....with your situation, you're arguing for a horse who finished "2nd/3rd" who didn't get placed first.

PaceAdvantage
01-18-2015, 05:18 PM
You've baffled me with bullshit. Congrats.

Stillriledup
01-18-2015, 05:20 PM
You've baffled me with bullshit. Congrats.

:lol:

Just call me the Baffler!

Broad Brush
01-18-2015, 06:34 PM
The awards went pretty much as I expected. I was rooting for Bayern because he has been good to me. I am happy for CC though..he deserved it too. The only thing I really dislike is the stupid trend of giving Older Male to Turf horses. I don't get this. There are many years the Turf Male is weak and the Award goes to a 2nd rate Euro who beat 3rd rate US horses in the Breeder's Cup. But no matter how bad and how un-special these horses are they always get an Award, like most all other divisions. We all complain when Older Stars don't stick around. Then when they do and they beat each other (gee hopefully good racing) then they get no Champion. Why? To give it to a Turf Horse who would get beat 50 lengths in any tough Dirt race.

PaceAdvantage
01-18-2015, 07:27 PM
Tells you just how bad the older dirt horses have been lately...

Grits
01-18-2015, 08:46 PM
The only surprise to me was Chad Brown not getting the nod for trainer.
I'm glad Untapable was a unanimous choice......she really deserved it.
Victor Espinoza was the rider of 2yo Male/2yo Filly/3yo Male/HOY.....pretty good year for Victor.
And a good night for City Zip....sire of Dayatthespa & Work All Week.
Connections of Chrome rolled the dice on the grass,that might of sealed the deal.......if he loses the Hollywood Derby he gets nothing.

I watched, hoping, too, that Chad would get Trainer Of The Year.

Maybe next.... Pletcher's had a corner on it for quite some time now. I hope his mantle and bookcases have a truss system under them.

taxicab
01-19-2015, 03:03 AM
I watched, hoping, too, that Chad would get Trainer Of The Year.

Maybe next.... Pletcher's had a corner on it for quite some time now. I hope his mantle and bookcases have a truss system under them.
With some foundation to it.....that's a Six Pack for trainer Todd.
When Bobby's Kitten took the speed of light train home I thought that had locked up the Eclipse for CB.......whoops. :eek:
Nice to see you back on the board G.... :)

mostpost
01-19-2015, 02:13 PM

So, it's all ridiculous.

You are such a pouter. The two year old who lives in 108 doesn't pout as much as you do. Dismal showings after the triple crown? He finished sixth in the Pennsylvania Derby after being off for three and a half months and probably a work or two form his best effort. And he was not persevered with. No, he would not have beaten Bayern in that race, but he might have moved up a few lengths and positions.

Then he finished third, beaten a neck and a nose in the richest, most prestigious race of the year. Despite the opinion of some, including you(?), California Chrome did not have a perfect trip in the BCC. He was three wide around both turns. In spite of the extra effort this cost him, he was able to gain 2.25 lengths on Bayern in the final quarter mile.

Finally, Bayer switched to a completely new service in the Hollywood Derby, and won a Grade 1 race on the turf. Not dismal at all in my opinion.

Abysmal head to head record against Bayern? What???? They split the Preakness and the Pennsylvania Derby. Each horse had an excuse in the race they lost. Each horse finished out of the money. I think I could argue convincingly that the Preakness had the stronger field, had a larger purse and a better Grade designation than the Pennsylvania Derby, but I am willing to say the results of the two races offset.

That means you are basing your judgement of an abysmal head to head record on a difference of a neck and a nose. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mostpost
01-19-2015, 02:21 PM
I can't speak for those who had votes, but I think the incident at the start of the BCC had no effect on the chances of Shared Belief, Moreno or California Chrome. I think Bayern won the race legitimately, but that victory was not nearly enough to overcome what California Chrome did the rest of the year.

Stillriledup
01-19-2015, 04:08 PM
You are such a pouter. The two year old who lives in 108 doesn't pout as much as you do. Dismal showings after the triple crown? He finished sixth in the Pennsylvania Derby after being off for three and a half months and probably a work or two form his best effort. And he was not persevered with. No, he would not have beaten Bayern in that race, but he might have moved up a few lengths and positions.

Then he finished third, beaten a neck and a nose in the richest, most prestigious race of the year. Despite the opinion of some, including you(?), California Chrome did not have a perfect trip in the BCC. He was three wide around both turns. In spite of the extra effort this cost him, he was able to gain 2.25 lengths on Bayern in the final quarter mile.

Finally, Bayer switched to a completely new service in the Hollywood Derby, and won a Grade 1 race on the turf. Not dismal at all in my opinion.

Abysmal head to head record against Bayern? What???? They split the Preakness and the Pennsylvania Derby. Each horse had an excuse in the race they lost. Each horse finished out of the money. I think I could argue convincingly that the Preakness had the stronger field, had a larger purse and a better Grade designation than the Pennsylvania Derby, but I am willing to say the results of the two races offset.

That means you are basing your judgement of an abysmal head to head record on a difference of a neck and a nose. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WHILE conveniently ignoring that CC was "Forced" to race back in 2 weeks after the derby and was on this Triple Crown "chase" which is taxing on a horse, especially those who raced in all 3 legs. If Bayern raced in the Derby and Preak and then ran in the Belmont, he might have been beaten a long way in there, no way Bayern's campaign maps out exactly how it mapped out if he was in all 3 TC legs.

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2015, 07:59 AM
You know what? None of this matters any longer...the votes are in...moving on...

My parting observation will be that the only horse to get 100% of the votes in her division, Untapable, wasn't even a finalist for HOY and that's a crime, and shows just what a joke this year's voting turned out to be...

Fager Fan
01-20-2015, 12:41 PM
You know what? None of this matters any longer...the votes are in...moving on...

My parting observation will be that the only horse to get 100% of the votes in her division, Untapable, wasn't even a finalist for HOY and that's a crime, and shows just what a joke this year's voting turned out to be...

Why? That only means she was tops in her division, and she got the divisional award for it. There's certainly no evidence that she was better than Chrome or Bayern or Shared Belief, so why should she be awarded as if she was?

clocker7
01-20-2015, 12:44 PM
It's just a vote, guys. And thinking that it was a robbery ... well. It could have gone several other ways and I would not have had higher blood pressure.

Rack 'em up in 2015 and see if they can settle matters convincingly this time. If they stay pretty much intact, it is not going to be boring.

mostpost
01-20-2015, 02:51 PM
Translation: I finally realized that my arguments are foolish and shortsighted, so I am going to skulk away and hope everyone forgets I was ever here.

Untapable dominated a weak division and was crushed the only time she faced male three year olds. That is why she was not a finalist.

raybo
01-20-2015, 03:33 PM

So, it's all ridiculous.

Agreed! And, take a look at the only American horse that finished in the top 10 in the international voting for best horse. It sure as heck wasn't CC - LOL.

MargieRose
01-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Agreed! And, take a look at the only American horse that finished in the top 10 in the international voting for best horse. It sure as heck wasn't CC - LOL.

A purely superficial ranking seemingly based on only one concrete "number" which, IMO, is not sufficient for determining a "best" anything in horse racing.

The sole North American horse included in the LONGINES Top Ten horses of 2014 was the Bob Baffert trained 3yo BAYERN (USA)[125] who won a gripping Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) at Santa Anita from the GB trained 3yo TOAST OF NEW YORK (USA)[124] and the fairytale story that was CALIFORNIA CHROME (USA)[124] who failed to win the U.S Triple Crown at Belmont Park having already won the Kentucky Derby (G1) and the Preakness (G1).

http://www.ifhaonline.org/resources/WTRRankings/LWBRR_PressRelease.asp?pid=51

thaskalos
01-20-2015, 04:06 PM
The Eclipse Awards are just an event where the trainers and the jockeys get a chance to dress up in their Sunday-best. Who cares?

Stillriledup
01-20-2015, 04:08 PM
The Eclipse Awards are just an event where the trainers and the jockeys get a chance to dress up in their Sunday-best and pat themselves on the back. Who cares?

Fixed that for ya. :D

thespaah
01-20-2015, 04:19 PM

Ya know what? I never thought of that. The fact that Untapable was not even a consideration for HOY....

MargieRose
01-20-2015, 04:23 PM
A purely superficial ranking seemingly based on only one concrete "number" which, IMO, is not sufficient for determining a "best" anything in horse racing.

The sole North American horse included in the LONGINES Top Ten horses of 2014 was the Bob Baffert trained 3yo BAYERN (USA)[125] who won a gripping Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) at Santa Anita from the GB trained 3yo TOAST OF NEW YORK (USA)[124] and the fairytale story that was CALIFORNIA CHROME (USA)[124] who failed to win the U.S Triple Crown at Belmont Park having already won the Kentucky Derby (G1) and the Preakness (G1).

P.S: CA Chrome was included in the top ten of this list from the beginning of the year. Bayern kicks in at the end of the year because of his "elite race" BCC win...A good example of simple concrete thinking in the abstract world of horse racing.

Fager Fan
01-20-2015, 04:36 PM
P.S: CA Chrome was included in the top ten of this list from the beginning of the year. Bayern kicks in at the end of the year because of his "elite race" BCC win...A good example of simple concrete thinking in the abstract world of horse racing.

I wouldn't care how any American horse ranks on an international list. The judges on these international lists are foreign-based and very familiar with turf racing and seemingly not very knowledgable on dirt racing. The last horse to be tops on an international list was probably Cigar.

raybo
01-20-2015, 04:36 PM

Sometimes it is valid to look at a more "unbiased" view. I also think that there probably weren't too many "stars in the eyes" Chromies, or "damn that bully Bayern", amongst the voters in that international voting. Whether or not they looked at year long performances or not, I have no idea. And, neither do you know that they used only a single race in their determinations. I suspect most of them looked at overall performances for all horses being considered.

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2015, 11:42 PM
Why? That only means she was tops in her division, and she got the divisional award for it. There's certainly no evidence that she was better than Chrome or Bayern or Shared Belief, so why should she be awarded as if she was?Chrome isn't better than Bayern. Bayern beat Chrome 2 of 3 times. And the one time Bayern lost to Chrome (Preakness), Bayern had a pretty nightmarish trip. You can't say the same for Chrome the two times he lost to Bayern.

Yet, Chrome is not only top 3yo, but HOY! :lol:

There is no evidence that California Chrome is a better horse than Bayern. None. We have solid, head-to-head results to back this up. Even at 10 furlongs, where I'm sure most would surmise Chrome should be better than Bayern.

So I'll ask you...why?

Oh, and to answer your question. Horse of the Year doesn't mean the horse that will beat all the other horses up for the award if they were to all race against each other.

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2015, 11:46 PM
(Hidden away in quote, but transcribed here for posterity --> Translation: I finally realized that my arguments are foolish and shortsighted, so I am going to skulk away and hope everyone forgets I was ever here.

Untapable dominated a weak division and was crushed the only time she faced male three year olds. That is why she was not a finalist.You wouldn't be addressing me this way (and I like the way you nest your cheap shot in my quote so that it doesn't automatically appear here...but I fixed that for you), if you weren't such a tool and carry over your venom from off-topic to horses.

You probably don't even realize what a dick you are to me in the racing topics...but that's fine...I'll take it all day long and dish it back out just as sweetly.

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2015, 11:51 PM
Untapable dominated a weak division and was crushed the only time she faced male three year olds. That is why she was not a finalist.Dominating your division should have easily qualified for HOY this year...this was a WEAK year...

It's how Favorite Trick won HOY...so don't give me the cut and dried BS...it's often times never black and white...

She most certainly deserved to be a finalist...but for many of the voters, I'm guessing name recognition and popularity weigh heavy...something tells me there are way too many voters for the Eclipse Awards...what is it up to now? A couple of hundred altogether?

mostpost
01-21-2015, 12:18 AM
Chrome isn't better than Bayern. Bayern beat Chrome 2 of 3 times. And the one time Bayern lost to Chrome (Preakness), Bayern had a pretty nightmarish trip. You can't say the same for Chrome the two times he lost to Bayern.

Yet, Chrome is not only top 3yo, but HOY! :lol:

There is no evidence that California Chrome is a better horse than Bayern. None. We have solid, head-to-head results to back this up. Even at 10 furlongs, where I'm sure most would surmise Chrome should be better than Bayern.

So I'll ask you...why?

Oh, and to answer your question. Horse of the Year doesn't mean the horse that will beat all the other horses up for the award if they were to all race against each other.
Just what happened to Bayern in the Preakness? He stumbled slightly and got off a little slowly at the start. The same has happened to many horses who went on to win their races. He was in a little tight the first time past the stands, but by the finish line the first time he he was outside and in the clear. By the far turn he was within two lengths of California Chrome and in the clear in fractions that were well within his capabilities. Yet when CC made his move, Bayern was unable to respond. You may say that Bayern does not like to race when he is not on the lead or when he is challenged early in a race. I say yes that is true which is exactly why he should not be Horse of the Year.

mostpost
01-21-2015, 12:26 AM
You wouldn't be addressing me this way (and I like the way you nest your cheap shot in my quote so that it doesn't automatically appear here...but I fixed that for you), if you weren't such a tool and carry over your venom from off-topic to horses.

You probably don't even realize what a dick you are to me in the racing topics...but that's fine...I'll take it all day long and dish it back out just as sweetly.
First of all, it wasn't a cheap shot, it was an absolutely accurate assessment of how you act both here and in off topic. Secondly, there is no venom involved. What I say to you is far less egregious than what other posters say to or about me in off topic. You are just one of those people who is ultra sensitive about yourself and tone deaf when it comes to others. Particularly those whom you perceive as your enemy.

PaceAdvantage
01-21-2015, 12:29 AM
First of all, it wasn't a cheap shot, it was an absolutely accurate assessment of how you act both here and in off topic. Secondly, there is no venom involved. What I say to you is far less egregious than what other posters say to or about me in off topic. You are just one of those people who is ultra sensitive about yourself and tone deaf when it comes to others. Particularly those whom you perceive as your enemy.Funny, I feel the exact same way about you.

Except I don't tend to take my BSing in off-topic into other arenas on here.

For instance, Barn32 and I have, I believe, mixed it up in off-topic in the past, but we are two buds in the trenches over in the trading sub-forum on here...helping each other out.

There are plenty of others on here whom I don't agree with politically, but that doesn't carry over into other topics here.

You seem to be the exception. That's fine...like I said, I can take it, and dish it right back at you.

Some_One
01-21-2015, 12:32 AM

The European method for these type of awards is based on best individual efforts and they have, the Classic was a better result, that's why I think they got it right, CC got a 124 for the Derby and Classic, Bayern got a 125 for his Classic and Just a Way a more then deserving rating of 130 for his monster performance in the Duty Free. I would have just switched ratings between Able Friend and Epiphaneia.

Just checking, last year they also gave the Classic a 125, Derby 120. In 2012 Classic 125 again, Derby 125.