PDA

View Full Version : American Sniper

RunForTheRoses
01-17-2015, 11:33 AM
-------Some Minor Spoilers-----

I just finished watching this and Wow! I didn't know his full story, just vaguely that he served in Iraq or Afghanistan (I think just Iraq) and had written a book. So the ending took me by surprise.

It was a good solid movie by Clint, made you think about recent American History in a not uncritical way. Thumbs up as they say.

baconswitchfarm
01-17-2015, 11:43 AM
I thought it was great. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
01-17-2015, 11:52 AM
His murderer is in jail awaiting trial.

Tom
01-17-2015, 11:56 AM
I go to very few movies, but this one is one I want to see on a big screen.

RunForTheRoses
01-17-2015, 12:22 PM
I go to very few movies, but this one is one I want to see on a big screen.

You should. I got a screener copy and when I was watching it thought it would be much better on a big screen.

RunForTheRoses
01-17-2015, 12:27 PM
His murderer is in jail awaiting trial.

Very tragic, sad that there were no warning signs, guy was in crazy stuff overseas-6 IEDs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvised_explosive_device and he gets killed in US.
I also see he had a feud with Jesse Ventura and the estate was sued (and Jesse won). Not sure what that was all about, my guess is maybe book people told him to tell some good stories to sell copies OR it was true. If untrue I can see why JV is/was upset.

Tom
01-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Ventura is a classes pig.
They don't come any lower.

Dave Schwartz
01-17-2015, 06:04 PM
I thought that the movie was beyond amazing.

For one thing, the detail was amazing, especially some subtleties that could be easily overlooked.

IMHO, this is a 5-star movie.

jballscalls
01-17-2015, 06:10 PM
Can't wait to see it. I'm a big Bradley Cooper fan and Clint.

MutuelClerk
01-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Powerful. If you think the The Hangover is all Bradley Cooper is about. You're wrong. Really well acted. Really well done. I don't watch the Oscars anymore, seeing Hollywood orally gratify itself isn't my thing. But this movie is outstanding. Must see.

Grits
01-18-2015, 11:25 PM
I read American Sniper, Chris Kyle's autobiography when it was released in 2012. It is an outstanding book. A story that needed to be told, and I'm truly glad this SEAL did so. Also, I knew, in 2013, what happened to him. And knew, not long after, that there was a film in the works with Eastwood and Bradley Cooper, both producing. One directing, one in the starring role.

Gentlemen, if you don't see any film this year. See this one. See it in IMAX if possible.

Bradley Cooper's performance is incredible. He spent months with Kyle's wife and children and other family members. He looked at family albums, videos, etc, etc. He learned everything about the man. Too, he tricked out at 225 lbs for the film, gaining 40 lbs of muscle mass. Again, to create his character. When the film opens, there's BC on a rooftop, "on the gun". In his usual position, lying behind his rifle. ..... Always wearing a ball cap and those wrap around sunglasses, CPO Kyle, and most often, simply, Kyle, didn't like wearing his helmet. But it saved his life at one point. No other details, just go see it.

As all of social media is saying....you will leave the theater able to hear the sound of a pin drop. This movie is about a war, its about a war hero that will never, ever be forgotten. But more importantly, its about the struggle, the hardship some of these troops are facing when they are deployed and when they return home, back to family, back to civilian life. Most have seen, multiple deployments.

When it was over, tears were streaming down my face. I sat a bit. All I could think was----Please, let this movie get the attention it needs to help these men. Let it win the Oscar for best film of the year. Let Bradley Cooper win for his epic performance.

This film matters a lot. Unlike many made today. And this soft spoken, handsome Texan and those sunglasses will be remembered always, not only for what he did as a SEAL, but as a husband and father, and what he did, too, to help other's suffering.

This weekend, its opening broke all box office records. Tomorrow, it'll be the talk of newscasts. Hope you all will see the film.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-american-sniper-shatters-records-with-90-2-million-weekend-1201408252/

Clocker
01-18-2015, 11:50 PM
Hope you all will see the film.

I intend to see it, but I really hate going to the movies, so I can wait until it comes out on DVD. The people that NEED to see it won't, because they have already prejudged (as in "prejudice") the subject matter.

newtothegame
01-19-2015, 12:01 AM
I'll assume Michael Moore doesn't like the movie.....

"My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren't heroes. And invaders r worse

2:40 PM - 18 Jan 2015"

This was apparently his tweet today.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/michael-moore-american-sniper-oscars-clint-eastwood-selma-1201353007/

rastajenk
01-19-2015, 09:06 AM
I intend to see it, but I really hate going to the movies, so I can wait ...It looks like an emotional overload to me, so I too will wait until I can absorb it nearly alone in my friendly confines.

So Michael Moore, who recently held a place on moviedom's Board of Governors, can't separate movie-making from its subject? No wonder he was a one-termer.

ArlJim78
01-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Clint's next movie is about Michael Moore.
The working title is American Diaper

RunForTheRoses
01-19-2015, 09:27 AM
I read American Sniper, Chris Kyle's autobiography when it was released in 2012. It is an outstanding book. A story that needed to be told, and I'm truly glad this SEAL did so. Also, I knew, in 2013, what happened to him. And knew, not long after, that there was a film in the works with Eastwood and Bradley Cooper, both producing. One directing, one in the starring role.

Gentlemen, if you don't see any film this year. See this one. See it in IMAX if possible.

Bradley Cooper's performance is incredible. He spent months with Kyle's wife and children and other family members. He looked at family albums, videos, etc, etc. He learned everything about the man. Too, he tricked out at 225 lbs for the film, gaining 40 lbs of muscle mass. Again, to create his character. When the film opens, there's BC on a rooftop, "on the gun". In his usual position, lying behind his rifle. ..... Always wearing a ball cap and those wrap around sunglasses, CPO Kyle, and most often, simply, Kyle, didn't like wearing his helmet. But it saved his life at one point. No other details, just go see it.

As all of social media is saying....you will leave the theater able to hear the sound of a pin drop. This movie is about a war, its about a war hero that will never, ever be forgotten. But more importantly, its about the struggle, the hardship some of these troops are facing when they are deployed and when they return home, back to family, back to civilian life. Most have seen, multiple deployments.

When it was over, tears were streaming down my face. I sat a bit. All I could think was----Please, let this movie get the attention it needs to help these men. Let it win the Oscar for best film of the year. Let Bradley Cooper win for his epic performance.

This film matters a lot. Unlike many made today. And this soft spoken, handsome Texan and those sunglasses will be remembered always, not only for what he did as a SEAL, but as a husband and father, and what he did, too, to help other's suffering.

This weekend, its opening broke all box office records. Tomorrow, it'll be the talk of newscasts. Hope you all will see the film.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-american-sniper-shatters-records-with-90-2-million-weekend-1201408252/

The ending definitely got me emotionally. Cooper did really get Kyle's look and mannerisms down in subsequent stuff I've seen of the real hero. Also, the movie was in no way a jingoistic, America is always right type of movie.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Michael Moore is like Other People's Farts - he toots every once in a while so everyone remembers just how much we can't stand him.

Let's Roll
01-19-2015, 01:00 PM
It looks like an emotional overload to me, so I too will wait until I can absorb it nearly alone in my friendly confines......
I was worried about an overload myself and fully intended to see this later on DVD, when I could see it over the course of a few sittings. I had read the book and knew it was a handfull. Then I heard the reviews and saw a few posts here so I changed my mind and saw it in the theater yesterday afternoon.
Eastwood and the actors did a great job, I can see how this could win some awards.No matter though, this is a wonderful tributre to Chris Kyle and his family. 2 thumbs up !

Mystic
01-20-2015, 10:53 PM

Well said. I saw it yesterday and this is the best movie I have seen in years. The place was packed to the gills and at the end, everyone stayed out of respect and to somehow honor Chris Kyle. What a true hero he was and I know I for one will never forget him or what he gave to this county.

God bless him and God bless America!

cj
01-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Ventura is a classes pig.
They don't come any lower.

Say what you will about Ventura, not a fan myself, but he won a lawsuit that is usually a very difficult one to win. The burden of proof was on him. He'll win another against the publisher most likely.

The truth is that Chris Kyle lied and was caught. Jesse did nothing wrong here.

That said, I look forward to seeing the movie.

ReplayRandall
01-21-2015, 03:28 PM

Wait for the DVD.....overrated....

JustRalph
01-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Say what you will about Ventura, not a fan myself, but he won a lawsuit that is usually a very difficult one to win. The burden of proof was on him. He'll win another against the publisher most likely.

The truth is that Chris Kyle lied and was caught. Jesse did nothing wrong here.

There is some evidence that the guy Kyle punched said he was Ventura. There is also evidence that Kyle was shit faced when it happen too. Several of the "witnesses" were drinking heavy. I tend to think if he was drunk, He should have left it out. I know you've been around Seal types who are drinking, it can be a free for all.

cj
01-21-2015, 05:22 PM
There is some evidence that the guy Kyle punched said he was Ventura. There is also evidence that Kyle was shit faced when it happen too. Several of the "witnesses" were drinking heavy. I tend to think if he was drunk, He should have left it out. I know you've been around Seal types who are drinking, it can be a free for all.

Fair enough, maybe lying was a stretch. Maybe it was a drunken mistake. Either way you are 100% correct, it should not have been included.

Grits
01-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Ventura was awarded 1.8 million. He was seeking upwards of 10 million. Chris Kyle's estate has earned over 6 million on the book alone, prior to the film. That's a lot, or at least, to me, it is.

Kyle's widow attempted to get the charges against her husband dismissed. She also attempted to get the trial moved to Dallas instead of Minnesota, where Ventura, of course, resides. She was not successful with either.

Ventura had wise counsel, who knew that a defamation suit can be filed anywhere. It doesn't have to be in the state or the city where the incident was alleged to have happened. He knew his chances would be better in his own state with "locals" seated as jurors. Currently, I've read, he is filing further suit against the book's publisher, William Morrow, and I'm not sure, but, possibly, the film itself. I have read, too, that this part of the book IS being removed from future printings.

With the book's publication, this is Bill O'Reilly's interview with Kyle. It is the first question that Kyle is asked. And he doesn't flinch. But then, who would expect him to?

He could be a liar. I don't know. But if he is, he's a good one. :(

Still, I'll have respect for him... and every person that's served.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421782837&v=FxyjErVkLj8&x-yt-cl=84359240

Please, I'm not that sharp, embed the link.

JustRalph
01-21-2015, 08:36 PM
You would think that Ventura would be recognizable? Maybe not......

MutuelClerk
01-21-2015, 09:51 PM
I could never rip on Jesse The Body Ventura. After all what's more scripted? Wrestling or politics? No business like show business. Regardless, great movie.

FantasticDan
01-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Every movie rewrites history. What American Sniper did is much, much worse. (http://www.vox.com/2015/1/22/7859791/american-sniper-iraq)

davew
01-22-2015, 01:54 PM
I like the sheep, wolf, wolfdog analogy, just not the way described in your article. Screenwriters try to turn stuff into a 2-3 hour movie - I think they did a good job and would not care if half of it was 'wrong'.

Clocker
01-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Every movie rewrites history. What American Sniper did is much, much worse. (http://www.vox.com/2015/1/22/7859791/american-sniper-iraq)

Did you agree with that opinion after you saw the movie?

JustRalph
01-22-2015, 02:46 PM

Worse than the lies in the Anti fracking films? Worse than the lies and slurs hurled at at Repubs and people in the south everyday by Hollywood?

I doubt it. But I haven't seen the film yet. I'll reserve total judgement, unlike left wingers who have gone after the film without having seen it

davew
01-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Worse than the lies in the Anti fracking films? Worse than the lies and slurs hurled at at Repubs and people in the south everyday by Hollywood?

I doubt it. But I haven't seen the film yet. I'll reserve total judgement, unlike left wingers who have gone after the film without having seen it

don't forget the state of the union self-delusion address

mountainman
01-22-2015, 02:56 PM
People are complex. Clearly, he was both an inspiring American hero and self-aggrandizing liar. Our expectation that our idols stand above reproach is unfair to them and sets us up for disappointment. I don't care that he invented ridiculous stories of shooting people from atop the superdome. It's enough for me that he served our country with such devotion and valor.

But I believe he fabricated the Ventura incident, ruined the man's reputation, and that Ventura has every right to recoup from a widow raking in millions on her late husband's legend and good name.

Dark Horse
01-22-2015, 02:58 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they got the idea from Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards, where a Nazi war propaganda movie celebrates a sniper. That movie was released in 2009, this book was written in 2011, and now the movie. No thanks.

Tom
01-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Ruined this reputation?
Or the one where he wears a tin foil hat and hides on an island?

Tom
01-22-2015, 03:28 PM
Ralph......where are your pants?:eek:

FantasticDan
01-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Did you agree with that opinion after you saw the movie?I haven't seen the movie, nor do I have an opinion on the article.. I merely saw it and posted it here, where I knew there was a thread.

Fully intend to see the movie at some point, I see all of Clint's directorial efforts.

JustRalph
01-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Ralph......where are your pants?:eek:

I've shunned style for sexiness in the form of Captain Zapp Brannigan

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6B9JHwZq8l0

6B9JHwZq8l0

Dark Horse
01-23-2015, 05:02 AM
Two questions:
1) was this guy such a hero before, in true hero fashion, he wrote a book about ... err... himself?
2) do all snipers get a funeral worthy of a US president?!

If I may. Who told him to write the book? Almost certainly the army. Talking about their kills is frowned upon in the sniper culture; a good army boy would never step out of line to make himself the center of attention, but here the army strongly approves of it (!). Who benefits from this movie? The army. Heroes are good for recruiting new cadets. Who killed him? The army. Why? That's a tough one... Even so, given the outrageously grandiose scale of this funeral, I would - carefully - suggest to look in the direction of the movie's powerful ending.

Hollywood's Pentagon channel tried something similar with Jessica Lynch. We no longer live in the days of Apocalypse Now and Deer Hunter. These days a war propaganda movie gets the highest critical acclaim. An Eastwood flick will be well done. That's not the question. The question is why we get a war propaganda movie at a time when most of the American public wants the troops to come home.

RunForTheRoses
01-23-2015, 07:14 AM
Two questions:
1) was this guy such a hero before, in true hero fashion, he wrote a book about ... err... himself?

If I may. Who told him to write the book? Almost certainly the army. Talking about their kills is frowned upon in the sniper culture; a good army boy would never step out of line to make himself the center of attention, but here the army strongly approves of it (!). Who benefits from this movie? The army. Heroes are good for recruiting new cadets. Who killed him? The army. Why? That's a tough one... Even so, given the outrageously grandiose scale of this funeral, I would - carefully - suggest to look in the direction of the movie's powerful ending.

Hollywood's Pentagon channel tried something similar with Jessica Lynch. We no longer live in the days of Apocalypse Now and Deer Hunter. These days a war propaganda movie gets the highest critical acclaim. An Eastwood flick will be well done. That's not the question. The question is why we get a war propaganda movie at a time when most of the American public wants the troops to come home.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your contention that the Military/Dept of State/Government would amp up support through some good press/propaganda (which appears to have happened with Jessica Lynch) most of your points either don't hold through or could be explained in other ways.

You have heard complaints about low pay for military personnel? After serving all those tours in the go go early '00s he probably wanted to make some change (see below, I'm no expert but this is not unprecedented).

That's really quite an open ended question and quite conspiracy minded. Do you think the Pentagon knew he was going to die? At 38? Maybe they hired the ex-military who killed him?
More likely, he was a young, well liked, family guy who was renowned to many in the military (and Texans do seem to often be at the patriotic forefront) and had gotten cut down very unexpectedly. I believe it was an organic outpouring of sadness/honor.

<<<If I may. Who told him to write the book? Almost certainly the army. Talking about their kills is frowned upon in the sniper culture; a good army boy would never step out of line to make himself the center of attention
<<< Who killed him? The army. Why? That's a tough one... Even so, given the outrageously

There was another recent book by Marcus Luttrell. I guess you could argue he is part of the recent propaganda push too. What about (one of?) the biggest War Heroes in American History:

http://www.amazon.com/To-Hell-Back-Audie-Murphy/dp/0805070869

WW2, the Big One.

Also, you keep saying Army. He was a Navy Seal.

mountainman
01-23-2015, 07:22 AM
Ruined this reputation?
Or the one where he wears a tin foil hat and hides on an island?

Just curious, sir: What kind of hat compels a man to perch atop the superdome and shoot American citizens with a high-powered rifle?

Dark Horse
01-23-2015, 07:38 AM

That's really quite an open ended question and quite conspiracy minded. Do you think the Pentagon knew he was going to die? At 38? Maybe they hired the ex-military who killed him?
More likely, he was a young, well liked, family guy who was renowned to many in the military (and Texans do seem to often be at the patriotic forefront) and had gotten cut down very unexpectedly. I believe it was an organic outpouring of sadness/honor.

Maybe so. Then again, veterans these day go straight to the top of the terrorist suspect list... And many others are left to rot in the streets. While I totally respect the West Point tradition, and true heroes as Patton (who also died a suspect death, after he became a little too critical), I don't buy the presidential funeral in this case. It's too Hollywood-perfect. Of course, they knew about the movie, so it wouldn't be strange to blow the event out of proportion. But if that is the case the question would be where the Hollywood-production really begins and takes over from real life.

Also, you keep saying Army. He was a Navy Seal.

My mistake. Should have said Armed Forces.

RunForTheRoses
01-23-2015, 07:43 AM

I basically disagree with the argument made in this article. I saw this movie (I thought it was good not mind blowingly so, would probably give it a 7 maybe even a 7.5 on the imdb scale, definitely no Full Metal Jacket or Apocalypse Now but it didn't aim to be) and I don't think it was a jingoistic rattle but rather, to me, more antiwar.
He did seem to have a problem with some truth:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/30/the-complicated-but-unveriable-legacy-of-chris-kyle-the-deadliest-sniper-in-american-history/

I know its WaPo but it does raise some questions, the Ventura incident was probably him spreading some blarney to sell some books, he was probably not fully adept at public speaking. I think the original allegation came on the Opie and Anthony show, they probably made him feel that he was amongst his buddies not realizing many others will hear.

I don't want to make this too long but going back to the article and the sheepdog stuff, maybe I'm too stupid but I did not see those comments as a metaphor for the whole movie. To me it was just about how his father was a big factor in his life. There was another scene where he beats up a bully and his father says something like beating up bullies is good but I don't ever want to see you be the bully.

<<< The film finds time for entire scenes of Kyle viewing TV news reports about al-Qaeda's 1998 bombings of US embassies, and the planes hitting the Twin Towers on 9/11. And when Kyle gets to Iraq, his commander explains that they are hunting the leaders of al-Qaeda in Iraq. The inference we're supposed to gather is clear: that Kyle is fighting the same people who attacked America in 1998 and 2001.

Uh, to me it did give a background to why he joined the military at a fairly old age.

<<<As ....points out, this depiction of the war is breathtakingly dishonest. The Iraq War was not a response to 9/11: this was a war America chose, officially based on reports of weapons of mass destruction that were implausible at the time, and that have since been proven false.

I pretty much agree with this politically but the war DID happen and this is a snapshot of one soldier's journey. To me the movie confirmed many of my disagreements with it-Marines going door to door knocking in people's homes, the Koran scene, the battle fatigue and PTSD which many of the soldier's comment on including Kyle's brother which led to dehumanization and incidents like Abu Ghraib.

The twitter comments at the end are disconcerting but I guess this can happen with many movies. Clockwork Orange was banned for two decades in the UK because of copycat killings.

Tom
01-23-2015, 07:43 AM
Hats don't compel anything.
But you knew that.

RunForTheRoses
01-23-2015, 07:48 AM
Maybe so. Then again, veterans these day go straight to the top of the terrorist suspect list... And many others are left to rot in the streets. While I totally respect the West Point tradition, and true heroes as Patton (who also died a suspect death, after he became a little too critical), I don't buy the presidential funeral in this case. It's too Hollywood-perfect.

My mistake. Should have said Armed Forces.

I think it is important that we do not become a war state. War is hell. If it is necessary you go in and get out, WW2 lasted four years for the US, Afghanistan is "over" now at 14 years. There is also the military-industrial complex to worry about.
http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.html

Dark Horse
01-23-2015, 08:31 AM
I think it is important that we do not become a war state. War is hell. If it is necessary you go in and get out, WW2 lasted four years for the US, Afghanistan is "over" now at 14 years. There is also the military-industrial complex to worry about.
http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.html

This movie is one, of many, expressions of the military industrial complex. That's why I mentioned the same kind of movie within the Inglorious Bastards movie. The propaganda angle is easy to see when some other nation does it, but when it's in our own face people's clarity becomes clouded with false patriotism.

As to Afghanistan, heroin production is at an all-time high, after the Taliban nearly wiped out the poppy fields, and US troops are protecting the crop. Go figure. The realities of these wars are so far from what the powers-that-be want us to believe, it's absolutely sickening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIkLYlaZ6kY

mountainman
01-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Hats don't compel anything.
But you knew that.

Yeah,,I respect you tom, and your point of view, And I greatly respect Chris Kyle. But when a private citizen is picking off looters, I sure hope he can distinguish between a twinkie and a flat-screen television.

Tom
01-23-2015, 09:32 AM
We're good.
I agree, private citizens have no business doing that for sure.
Only if it is their store being looted.

I just think suing a dead Seal's wife is the bottom of the barrel.

Robert Fischer
01-23-2015, 08:55 PM
this type of movie is not my thing, and i'm not in the 'target' audience

Sounds like it was entertaining and emotional. :ThmbUp:

Grits
01-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Gentlemen, you all may have viewed this website in the past. I'm not familiar with it. For anyone that doesn't care to go to the theater, American Sniper, Birdman, Taken 3, Wild, Imitation Game, Seventh Son, Into The Woods, and other current films are able to be viewed.

http://free-movie-home.com/

Many have watched American Sniper at the movie theater and then returned home to watch it in its entirety, several times, at this website.

I don't get how films are, just released, yet already online for free? Surely, there's a catch. I'll pray for your computers not to be infected. I clicked on the site, but not to download. I'm chicken. Worse, it seems like I'm stealing.

I've wanted to see Michael Keaton's performance in Birdman. Its not here in my city yet.

davew
01-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Bill Maher doesn't like it

He is just a psychopath patriot
In the opening scene he is about to shoot a young kid
(holding a big hand grenade/bomb running towards a tank and group of soldiers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ4JqrE6REE

Tom
01-24-2015, 03:05 PM
What would you do but shoot him?
It had to be done, but it has to affect you doing it.

PaceAdvantage
01-29-2015, 09:08 AM
Any movie that gets liberals this riled up...that produces articles such as the one linked above that meticulously tries to tear the film down step by step...is a movie worth seeing in my opinion.

horses4courses
01-29-2015, 09:27 AM
Any movie that gets liberals this riled up...that produces articles such as the one linked above that meticulously tries to tear the film down step by step...is a movie worth seeing in my opinion.

Always good to see Hollywood pulling in those box office dollars.

Tom
01-29-2015, 10:02 AM
But you have no problem when it is an anti-American movie, right?

Hey, some mid-west restaurants are now banning Michael "Tubby" Moore and Seth Rogain, or whover the hellhe is, from eating there.

Michael Moore banned for a meal.....irony!:lol:

horses4courses
01-29-2015, 10:46 AM
But you have no problem when it is an anti-American movie, right?

Our thoughts on what is anti and pro American are quite different.

Tom
01-29-2015, 11:02 AM
So you are opposed to Hollywood making lots of money, but then you support MM, who makes a lot of money with crockumentaries.

Gotta have notes on your sleeves to keep track of it all? :lol:

reckless
01-29-2015, 11:49 AM
. . .
Hey, some mid-west restaurants are now banning Michael "Tubby" Moore and Seth Rogain, or whoever the hell he is, from eating there.

Michael Moore banned for a meal.....irony!:lol:

Could you imagine if that happened ... the collapse in farm and land values world-wide; the 1000s of restaurants that will close their doors; all those sous chefs and line cooks losing their jobs plus the cancelling of Food Network shows such as Restaurant Impossible and Beat Bobby Flay ... if a fat slob such as Michael Moore is barred from eating at restaurants?

horses4courses
01-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Could you imagine if that happened ... the collapse in farm and land values world-wide; the 1000s of restaurants that will close their doors; all those sous chefs and line cooks losing their jobs plus the cancelling of Food Network shows such as Restaurant Impossible and Beat Bobby Flay ... if a fat slob such as Michael Moore is barred from eating at restaurants?

If it's true, it's discrimination.
Probably worth a lawsuit, too.

HUSKER55
01-29-2015, 11:56 AM
was michael more and bill maher ever in the military?

How would they know?

Tom
01-29-2015, 12:45 PM
No shoes, no shirt, no CLASS, no service.

johnhannibalsmith
01-29-2015, 12:49 PM
If it's true, it's discrimination.
Probably worth a lawsuit, too.

If they don't serve him because they think that he's a jerk it is discrimination?

davew
01-29-2015, 02:07 PM
If they don't serve him because they think that he's a jerk it is discrimination?

It might be for safety reasons, as they know their main clientele.

Tom
01-29-2015, 02:18 PM
Relatives of Seals have already thanked several of the owners for this.
I think if MM showed up to get his name in the news, he might have legitimate fears of a sniper. :)

Clocker
01-29-2015, 02:19 PM

Any tort lawyer worth his share of a settlement could prove discrimination on the basis of mental disability.

Tom
01-29-2015, 02:21 PM
mental disability.

Well, in that case, there is judicial precedence. The could ban MM because the airlines, as a health concern, have already banned nuts from their airplanes.

RunForTheRoses
01-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Left wingers, Michelle says its OK to like the movie:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/michelle-obama-praises-american-sniper-article-1.2098028

Grits
02-01-2015, 05:00 PM
And breaking records.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-american-sniper-sets-super-bowl-weekend-record-with-31-8-million-1201420720/

fast4522
02-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Could it be because Clint Eastwood's chair is never empty.

cj's dad
02-02-2015, 10:05 AM
I just finished watching the movie. I found the topic and Kyle interesting but I thought the movie itself was somewhat disjointed.

I thought that "Kill the Messenger", another movie based on fact was better than AS.

Next in line are "The Interview" and "7th Son".

davew
02-02-2015, 11:25 AM
I just watched The interview on Netflix streaming - took over a week because it was weak. I can't decide what movie genre it supposed to be - do they have one for stupid comedy?

horses4courses
02-02-2015, 12:55 PM
I couldn't go beyond the first 15 minutes of "The Interview"
Lame :ThmbDown:

PaceAdvantage
02-04-2015, 02:07 AM
I liked the Interview...didn't think I would...but if you go into it knowing that it's a Seth Rogen movie, you know what you're getting into...it made me laugh, and that's all it was meant to do...

Grits
02-10-2015, 11:00 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/10/us/trial-in-killing-of-chris-kyle-american-sniper-model-sets-town-on-edge.html?_r=0

Jury consist of 10 women and 2 men. Fair trial???

“The death happening here, that makes it more personal,” said Chick Elms, 68, a co-owner of the Grand Entry, a Western wear shop. “They’re not seeking the death penalty, which I think is hogwash.”

Mr. Routh’s lawyers, Warren St. John and Tim Moore, have included the movie and the local support for Mr. Kyle in their legal case, asking the judge to postpone the trial. They cited the popularity of the movie, its release in local theaters, the bomb threat and Gov. Greg Abbott’s decision to declare Monday last week, the two-year anniversary of Mr. Kyle’s death, Chris Kyle Day in Texas.

The judge, Jason Cashon of Erath County District Court, denied their request. Mr. Routh’s lawyers also asked the judge to move the proceedings out of Erath County, describing “so great a prejudice” against their client that he could not get a fair trial.

Judge Cashon turned down that motion as well, but it was clear last week as prospective jurors crowded the courtroom that he had concerns about the publicity surrounding the case.

TJDave
02-10-2015, 11:22 AM
Jury consist of 10 women and 2 men. Fair trial???

This guy couldn't get a fair trial in downtown Kabul.

Grits
02-10-2015, 11:33 AM
This guy couldn't get a fair trial in downtown Kabul.

I shouldn't laugh, but I have, TJD. Really! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The last paragraph of this story caught my eye.... PTSD? Beyond help, insane? Hhhmmm. Yet, you're sane enough to know, both of these men are unaware that you're getting ready to kill them. And, you're sane enough to easily recognize which of the two is the most lethal, so you take him out first?

If, these are his exact words, they might be what gets him in a Texas prison ward's mental hospital for the rest of his life.

Mr. Routh said that neither Mr. Kyle nor Mr. Littlefield had known he was going to shoot them, and that the one he had shot first was “the one I could clearly identify,” referring to Mr. Kyle. “I knew if I did not take his soul, he was going to take mine,” he said.

burnsy
02-11-2015, 09:17 PM
We're good.
I agree, private citizens have no business doing that for sure.
Only if it is their store being looted.

I just think suing a dead Seal's wife is the bottom of the barrel.

The movie is good but its not as good as people talk about it. Plus, its not Jesse's fault they embellished and talking or revealing stuff like this is sort of against the "Seals" code. I was in the Navy in the 80's, we went to El Salvador, Lebanon, Libya and Somalia. All the crap that people blame on Bush and Obama was happening 30, 40 years ago. It didn't go hyper sensational and become a money maker for the media until 9/11. This has been going on for decades. I was on a ship off shore of Lebanon when the Marines barracks was bombed, 30 something years ago. When we went to Somalia we were told to look like civilians and warned that if we were kidnapped, other than looking for us there was nothing they could do....and they were not going to pay a ransom. Black Hawk down happened a few years later. All the crap people are crying about now.......has been happening for a long, long time. When we went to these places there were always Seals and Cryptologist with us....real bad asses. Most of them don't want people talking about what they do. That might of pissed him off as much as lying about him. Like or not its like the mob or a biker gang...you don't run your mouth. I saw St. Vincent about a Vietnam vet, its a way better movie. The American Sniper is alright but as usual the media is milking the shit out of it.

PaceAdvantage
02-12-2015, 01:31 PM
St Vincent was very good...but his being a Vietnam Vet was by no means the focus of the film.

Oh, and there were a couple of racing scenes at Belmont Park, so that right there bumps it up a couple of notches automatically... :ThmbUp:

RunForTheRoses
02-12-2015, 08:04 PM
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/evidence-surfaces-chris-kyles-killer-was-not-suffering-ptsd-terrorist-sympathizer

JustRalph
02-12-2015, 08:33 PM
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/evidence-surfaces-chris-kyles-killer-was-not-suffering-ptsd-terrorist-sympathizer

Lots of talk like that early on.... I don't think it's true...... I don't even think that's a picture of the guy in the article. From the pic's I am viewing on the local news here (trial coverage) It doesn't look like him.....but you never know.

If it is true, it's going to come out during this trial. The guy has plead insanity

RunForTheRoses
02-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Lots of talk like that early on.... I don't think it's true...... I don't even think that's a picture of the guy in the article. From the pic's I am viewing on the local news here (trial coverage) It doesn't look like him.....but you never know.

If it is true, it's going to come out during this trial. The guy has plead insanity

Yeah, I'm not sure if I agree or not, just throwing it out there.
I was also going to post a Salon article featuring a Sniper who doesn't like the movie. Anyone interested can google.

Grits
02-13-2015, 09:50 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/11/us/eddie-ray-routh-profile-american-sniper/

How did this man become a Marine? How was he even allowed in? Seriously. The armed forces are not rehab....or am I missing a great deal.

Court documents say that Eddie Routh "has a long history of drug and alcohol use. From high school, while in the Marines and after his discharge from the Marines, the defendant has smoked marijuana, drank alcohol excessively, smoked 'K2' or 'spice' (synthetic marijuana) and potentially marijuana laced with PCP or formaldehyde."

On the day of their deaths, Kyle texed his friend, Chad Littlefield, standing a few feet away from him, "dude's straight up nuts".

All of this is so tragic.....

Grits
02-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Guilty -- Life in prison without parole.

RIP Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/02/24/jury-in-american-sniper-trial-finds-eddie-ray-routh-guilty-of-killing-navy-seal-chris-kyle-and-chad-littlefield/

burnsy
02-27-2015, 09:07 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/11/us/eddie-ray-routh-profile-american-sniper/

How did this man become a Marine? How was he even allowed in? Seriously. The armed forces are not rehab....or am I missing a great deal.

On the day of their deaths, Kyle texed his friend, Chad Littlefield, standing a few feet away from him, "dude's straight up nuts".

All of this is so tragic.....

You are missing a lot and obviously never were in the military. Many young men that join are in trouble or leading troubled lives. When I went in many years ago judges were giving kids two choices go to jail or sign up. Its not as bad today but you don't get many Scholarship candidates in the military. I flunked out of college to get there. Some boys are made into men, some never change and some are changed by the horrific nature of war....whether they smoke dope and drink or not. I don't have to read the article that someone posted to believe that some snipers are pissed about all the media attention and movie. They don't want people to know or re live it. Can you blame them? A friend of mine died two weeks ago from cancer, he was older than me and served in Vietnam....after he died it was revealed that he had two Bronze Stars. No one knew and he wanted it that way. It is tragic, these guys basically lost their lives before they even got home. ALL of the people involved in this tragic event had PTSD in one form or another......the guy doing the shooting as well as the people that got shot. They handed a loaded gun to a guy that should never have one! Because of loyalty and empathy, they were not thinking well themselves at the time. It has less to do with smoking pot or drinking, heck, when I was in that was a prerequisite. The "Texas" crowd will play that card but the truth is if you see enough blood and guts....with women, children and your own buddies getting blown up........you will be changed forever.....no amount of dope or alcohol will make you better or change it but it might help you forget about it for a few hours......Obviously, this guy was an unstable character, but some of them are the best soldiers and some turn out to be menaces...its a crap shoot. The reality is we need all of these guys....those are the types that do this job........Johnny and Mary "clean sheets, primrose" would not last a day. They shit their pants when the "Jihads" make a scary video of people getting there heads chopped off. These guys lived "it"......not a video or movie. Thank God, I was never in a battle situation but I know many that were and whatever happens after that you can't really blame them. Everyone promises them the world....but when they get back the promises are in reality are "empty" ones. Its a sad joke of a situation. Blaming this poor bastard will get the situation no where. But it makes society feel better to blame someone....they are too cheap and scared to face it...that's why these guys died and this guy is going away.....No one really helps them.......