PDA

View Full Version : Handicap/watch races

zico20
01-16-2015, 01:09 PM
Since I started posting here I have been curious as to how many people knowing they are NOT going to bet a particular race after looking at it for a couple of seconds actually take the time to keep handicapping it for fun to see if they were right. Also, does anybody watch any specific type of race without handicapping it because it looks interesting. I know some people stick to a certain circuit and don't hardly ever look elsewhere.

For me, I watch just about every stake race even if I don't handicap it. I also will handicap a few races a day that I want to watch even though I know have no intention of betting it. An example would be Ride on Curlin and General A Rod the past two days. I knew I wouldn't bet either race and they were not stakes races but I watched them anyway and looked at the PPs for a little bit because they were of interest to me.

Does anybody else spend their time studying races they know they are not going to bet. Or does everybody do it.

Overlay
01-16-2015, 01:43 PM
It's hard for me to know definitely in advance that I will not be playing any particular race, since how the public bets the race affects my determination of whether the race offers any favorable wagering situations. The closest that I might come to it would be if a brief look at the past performances would indicate that the race (at whatever class level or racing circuit) was likely to have a prohibitive, legitimate favorite to a degree where other horses in the race would not be worth the risk of betting, even if I felt that they might go off as overlays.

Stoleitbreezing
01-16-2015, 01:46 PM
I think a lot of horsesplayers will review the pps for a while and not bet a race(s) is because they want to see how the track is playing or what running style is most advantageous. I looked over the pps for the new Oaklawn meet recently so I can compare my thoughts with the race replays from my ADW account. Then I'll use that information to see if there were any biases or trainer angles to look for over the next few days.

I'm part of a syndicate and will also follow trainers or syndicate horses that I don't have a financial interest in just to see how they do. Like you i'll follow horses who've competed on a high level before and may be coming back from layoff of injuries to see how they perform. I added that horse TOUGH SUNDAY to my equibase stable mail, due to his unfortunate/unusual upbringing where he beat the odds just to get to the track. there is a link somewhere on this site with his story.

I find maiden races most interesting for various reasons and enjoy watching those types of races.

zico20
01-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Here is an example. The first today at Aqueduct had a 4 horse field with a 1-5 shot. No show wagering of course. The 1-5 shot ran last and their was a bridge jumper to a certain degree for the place pool. Most people don't even look at 4 horse fields, let alone a cheap race with a big favorite. I looked at the PPs for fun with no intention of wagering.

Also, I like to study and watch ANY race where there is a potential bridge jumper. I am curious as to why people will risk huge amounts on a certain type of horse.

luisbe
01-16-2015, 02:43 PM

Also, I like to study and watch ANY race where there is a potential bridge jumper. I am curious as to why people will risk huge amounts on a certain type of horse.

Because a 5% ROI in no more than 2 minutes is huge.

thaskalos
01-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Because a 5% ROI in no more than 2 minutes is huge.
It's a "5% ROI" only if you never lose.

Tom
01-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Unless you lose.
Ergo, the bridge.

luisbe
01-16-2015, 04:16 PM
It's a "5% ROI" only if you never lose.
Absolutely. Extended in time depends on what you bet. Some people bet on claimers!!!