PDA

View Full Version : Harry V. Jaffa

Overlay
01-16-2015, 12:07 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/12/us/politics/harry-v-jaffa-conservative-scholar-and-goldwater-muse-dies-at-96.html

His name might not have much recognition outside of scholarly circles, but Harry V. Jaffa passed away last weekend at the age of 96. I note his passing for two reasons: first, because he is remembered as the contributor of the most quoted lines from Barry Goldwater's 1964 acceptance speech at the Republican national convention in San Francisco (see YouTube excerpt below); and, second (from a personal standpoint), because I was notified prior to my freshman year in college that he was to be my faculty advisor. However, by the time I arrived on campus, he had gone on sabbatical, and I don't believe that I ever even got to meet him during my entire time at college.

--375PlwiCw&spfreload=10&noredirect=1

Greyfox
01-16-2015, 01:24 AM
Sorry Tim.

I remember Goldwater quite well, and did not want him to win.
Harry V. Jaffa, never heard of him and apparently you never met him.
As an after thought, I never met anyone over the age of 94 who didn't want to die. Fact.

RunForTheRoses
01-16-2015, 06:38 AM
I do remember him from the National Review. I remember thinking Claremont Mckena must be a real oasis in the SoCal sun. Did you go there? Good school(s). R.I.P.

Overlay
01-16-2015, 08:37 AM
I do remember him from the National Review. I remember thinking Claremont Mckena must be a real oasis in the SoCal sun. Did you go there? Good school(s). R.I.P.
At the time that I (and falconridge) started there (back in 1972), the school was still male-only Claremont Men's College. (Scripps College -- one of the other four Claremont Colleges, along with Pomona College, Harvey Mudd College, and Pitzer College -- was (and still is) a women's college.) CMC went co-ed the year after I left. However, they wanted to preserve the name-recognition and reputation associated with the CMC acronym, so benefactor Donald McKenna (a member of the first group of trustees of the college when it was established in 1946) came to the rescue with the right initial (as well as with a sizable endowment to the school), and the college incorporated his name in recognition of that.

The weather was generally wonderful (even on the days when smog obscured the view of Mount San Antonio (aka Mount Baldy) in the nearby San Gabriel Mountains. I started out there as a political science major with the intention of becoming an attorney, but got diverted from that path on two separate occasions (long story), which (along with other circumstances) leads me to believe in retrospect that the law was not my "intended" vocation. (My son and his wife, who both graduated from Harvard Law School, are carrying on admirably in that regard. Maybe my "law gene" was recessive, so my generation was skipped. :) )

I would imagine that the admission of women starting in 1976 may have made the student body less conservative politically over time than it was when I went there, but I have no way of knowing.

Overlay
01-16-2015, 08:58 AM
At the time that I (and falconridge) started there (back in 1972), the school was still male-only Claremont Men's College. (Scripps College -- one of the other four Claremont Colleges, along with Pomona College, Harvey Mudd College, and Pitzer College -- was (and still is) a women's college.) CMC went co-ed the year after I left. However, they wanted to preserve the name-recognition and reputation associated with the CMC acronym, so benefactor Donald McKenna (a member of the first group of trustees of the college when it was established in 1946) came to the rescue with the right initial (as well as with a sizable endowment to the school), and the college incorporated his name in recognition of that.
I should add that, when the college was considering its name change, I generously offered to donate my last name, so that the school would have become Claremont Maas College, but my pockets apparently just weren't deep enough! :D

Overlay
01-16-2015, 09:11 AM
I remember Goldwater quite well, and did not want him to win.
I was in fourth grade that fall, and used to get an occasional ride to or from school with a neighboring family that was vehemently pro-Goldwater, so the drive gave me my daily dose of conservative campaign rhetoric.

Shemp Howard
01-16-2015, 11:03 PM
In your heart you knew he was right.:ThmbUp:

Overlay
01-16-2015, 11:39 PM
In your heart you knew he was right.:ThmbUp:
The two standard comebacks to that from Johnson supporters that I recall from the campaign were:

"In your heart, you know he's right. . .FAR right."

and

"In your guts, you know he's nuts."

Clocker
01-17-2015, 12:37 AM
An article about Jaffa. There are several others on the topic at that site.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2015/01/walter-berns-and-harry-v-jaffa-rip.php