PDA

View Full Version : Enslaved by Smart-phones

mountainman
01-14-2015, 09:00 PM
Sunday-Observed elderly couple stopped at red-light in next lane. Each whipped out a phone and began pecking away, heads lowered, completely transfixed.

Monday-Went to gym. 6 others on on aerobic-stationary bike, elliptical machine, treadmill, etc..-equipment. All but one were tapping on phones while working out. Lone exception was fit, serious looking female running fast on treadmill. Checked her out again 2 or 3 min later, and she, too, was then pecking on a phone-and still running very hard.

Tuesday-Popular sports-bar for wings and burgers. Counted 40 patrons. 37 were immersed in smart phones. The three who were not had stood up and were peering over the shoulders of adjacent patrons w
ho did have phones. The outcasts looked miserable and desperate to be included.

Today-Old pal who owns nice Italian restaurant had traced his stolen phone to local high school girl who apparently lifted it while bussing tables there. Pal tells cops to back off and instead calls girl's parent's who apologize profusely. Parents call pal back 15 min later..put daughter on who apologizes in tears, begs pal to not send police, but instead come to her house and pick up his phone. Pal arrives at house..warm, appreciative greeting from parents. Daughter walks in (so
bbing uncontrollably and asks pal : "If I volunteer to be put in jail, can I keep the phone?"

cj's dad
01-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Couples come into bars and pay zero attention to each other while they text away-pitiful!!

snickster
01-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Couples come into bars and pay zero attention to each other while they text away-pitiful!!

I don't have a cell phone. I don't think I ever will. NSA does not know who I am. lol.

ReplayRandall
01-14-2015, 09:37 PM
I don't have a cell phone. I don't think I ever will. NSA does not know who I am. lol.

A+ post......:ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
01-14-2015, 09:37 PM
"If I volunteer to be put in jail, can I keep the phone?"

Both hilarious and sad.

thaskalos
01-14-2015, 09:47 PM
My smart-phone is so smart...it not only finishes the words that I am trying to type, but it also redials the number of the call I just ended...in case I forgot to say something and need to dial that number again.

Clocker
01-14-2015, 09:59 PM

They are texting messages to each other. It's the only way moderns know how to communicate.

Tom
01-14-2015, 10:28 PM
My favorite app on my phone is.....the OFF button.
It is off 80%of the time.

Best damn app I ever had, and it was FREE!

JustRalph
01-14-2015, 10:52 PM
My favorite app on my phone is.....the OFF button.
It is off 80%of the time.

Best damn app I ever had, and it was FREE!

Some phones check in with towers even when turned off. If you really want to be invisible, pull the battery, and hit the power button on and off a couple of times

RunForTheRoses
01-15-2015, 06:36 AM
There are a lot of good uses for a cellphone which I like. Yesterday, I went to a cafe for lunch solo and while I was waiting for my food, instead of just staring into space, busted out my cellphone. Can read the newspaper, check PA forums, play Trivia Crack,etc. It is great for waiting at the Drs office, for an oil change, etc.

I do hate the most egregious users of them, also walking down a busy NYC street you will see some fool texting away or talking away oblivious to everyone else and getting in the way. I've seen soccer moms speeding along texting away.

There is also danger in multitasking too much. This blog by Timothy ferris I would recommend, he talks about the dangers of modern technology among other stuff.
http://fourhourworkweek.com/blog/