PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct cancels 1-14-15

ReplayRandall
01-14-2015, 12:02 PM
No Aqueduct today, 1-14-15.

CJ, are you sure? It's 22 minutes until the 1st race, and pools are rising.

pandy
01-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Wow, for Aqueduct to cancel today, temperatures in the mid 30's, that is odd. How can they say that there is nothing wrong with the track? If there was nothing wrong with the track, they would be racing.

ReplayRandall
01-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Just posted now on NYRA website:

Due to continued frigid temperatures and out of a continued abundance of caution for the safety of our jockeys and our equine athletes, the New York Racing Association has cancelled live racing at Aqueduct Racetrack for Wednesday, January 14.
Aqueduct and the Belmont Cafe at Belmont Park will remain open for simulcasting.

Live racing is scheduled to resume at Aqueduct Racetrack on Thursday, January 15.

titans1127
01-14-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm guessing with wind chills in the teens they figured its best to not race but this must stem from the breakdowns from last week as NYRA doesn't usually cancel unless its super cold or extremely windy

lamboguy
01-14-2015, 12:25 PM
does anyone know if the riders didn't want to ride, or if this was just a management decision?

i was just told they found some frozen parts of the track, so they wanted to be on the safe side.

the problem i see is that they can find this almost any day during the winter, it is 30 with no wind today. this time of year the temperature doesn't get to much warmer most of the time.

EDIT BY CJ: Meant to move the beginning part of this post to new thread too but forgot, so added it here.

Robert Fischer
01-14-2015, 01:31 PM
Heyy err on the side of caution right?

Caught me by surprise, and i'm not privy to any inside info, but I can't complain.
This was my day today.
This was my day. I had the stars lined up and I was going to cash big time.
However, I'd rather the horses and jockeys be safe. :ThmbUp:

onefast99
01-14-2015, 03:36 PM
Seems the anti freeze in the dirt must be a bit suspect if you are finding "frozen"particles on the track. Parx had this issue several years back I haven't heard them cancelling for that reason in a long time.

LAP_520
01-14-2015, 07:20 PM
" According to management, there were frozen clods of dirt parsed throughout the inner track after a rainy Monday was followed by below-freezing temperatures Tuesday. Less than an hour before post, the temperature was 30 degrees. Temperatures were expected to rise above freezing during the afternoon.

“We could probably run two and a half hours from now but not now, and I’m going to err on the side of caution with everything that’s going on,” said Martin Panza, NYRA’s senior vice president of racing operations. "

http://www.drf.com/news/frozen-dirt-inner-track-forces-wednesday-cancelation

lamboguy
01-14-2015, 07:34 PM
none of us can really argue when they say they did it for safety reason's. the track management really doesn't want to cancel, it cost them money to get the track ready and now get nothing for it when they cancel.

if they are going to cancel every time the temperature is 30 degree's, they might be better off taking a better look at not running the meet at all because most of the time the temp is below 30 in the winter time in New York.

Robert Goren
01-14-2015, 08:56 PM
none of us can really argue when they say they did it for safety reason's. the track management really doesn't want to cancel, it cost them money to get the track ready and now get nothing for it when they cancel.

if they are going to cancel every time the temperature is 30 degree's, they might be better off taking a better look at not running the meet at all because most of the time the temp is below 30 in the winter time in New York.If parts of the track is frozen and part are not, they are going to have breakdowns.

Stillriledup
01-15-2015, 02:21 AM
Feels awesome to spend minutes and even hours handicapping this stuff to hear about a cancellation in 30 degree weather.

Real soft.

burnsy
01-15-2015, 07:25 AM
Its not just the temp that day with freezing conditions, its the temp leading up to the cancellation. The last couple days were really cold in NY, even down there. Tuesday was brutal all day and Tuesday night was the coldest night so far. It was probably 10 to 15 above down there (if that) because up here it was 14 below zero Tuesday night. Even though its a little warmer in NYC and Long Island than upstate. I don't know where you guys live but this week has been brick! This is the "dreaded" time of year in the Northeast. I laugh when people down south bitch about 35 and 40 degree weather......some years we don't see that until March.

badcompany
01-15-2015, 10:49 AM
I ran around the reservoir in Central Park, on Tues. There was a lot of ice on that track. If not careful, busting one's ass was a distinct possibility.

Tom
01-15-2015, 10:50 AM
Just south of me, it was -28....that's -:2::8: without wind chill!:eek:

OTM Al
01-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Feels awesome to spend minutes and even hours handicapping this stuff to hear about a cancellation in 30 degree weather.

Real soft.

You are right. They should run no matter what and allow no scratches so as to not inconvenience players.....

dirty moose
01-15-2015, 11:02 AM
You are right. They should run no matter what and allow no scratches so as to not inconvenience players.....

You should know by now, they don't care about the players....

OTM Al
01-15-2015, 11:08 AM
You should know by now, they don't care about the players....

Ummm...yeah. I think the lives and well being of the riders and the horses comes well before the player's "inconvenience" on this one. Don't you?

JustRalph
01-15-2015, 11:17 AM
This thread is deep with one of two things

Lunacy, or sarcasm. Tough to tell.........

dirty moose
01-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Ummm...yeah. I think the lives and well being of the riders and the horses comes well before the player's "inconvenience" on this one. Don't you?

Yes I do. I speaking in the general way the tracks could care less about us.

OTM Al
01-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Yes I do. I speaking in the general way the tracks could care less about us.

The correct phrase is couldn't care less. If they could care less, then there is still lower they can go. Further, tracks are inanimate I don't believe they have the opportunity to care one way or another. Dirt does not have the capacity to care about you. The people that work there however are a different matter. Many care about their patrons, so painting everyone who works at a track with such a broad brush is wholly inaccurate and really quite insulting. Of course if you treat them all that way, I can hardly blame them for getting to the point where they couldn't care less about you.

OTM Al
01-15-2015, 11:28 AM
This thread is deep with one of two things

Lunacy, or sarcasm. Tough to tell.........

Yes, especially given the one I commented on.

dirty moose
01-15-2015, 11:39 AM
The correct phrase is couldn't care less. If they could care less, then there is still lower they can go. Further, tracks are inanimate I don't believe they have the opportunity to care one way or another. Dirt does not have the capacity to care about you. The people that work there however are a different matter. Many care about their patrons, so painting everyone who works at a track with such a broad brush is wholly inaccurate and really quite insulting. Of course if you treat them all that way, I can hardly blame them for getting to the point where they couldn't care less about you.

Are you always this anal? Or did I happen to touch a nerve? You should lighten up, life is too short to be so wound up.

OTM Al
01-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Are you always this anal? Or did I happen to touch a nerve? You should lighten up, life is too short to be so wound up.
Nope, just showing you my complete disdain for your ridiculous statement.

Stillriledup
01-15-2015, 12:02 PM

This has nothing at all to do with the "lives and well being" of anything. The only way to make sure that the lives of horses and jockeys are at no risk is to never run horse races. When you card winter racing, you card the racing knowing the temps will be very cold and there will be other elements, every day that horse races are run in winter, there's probably a little more chance for danger....but they are the ones who carded the races knowing all this in advance, its not like we sprung it on them that it might be in the 30s or colder in NY in January.

OTM Al
01-15-2015, 12:04 PM
This has nothing at all to do with the "lives and well being" of anything. The only way to make sure that the lives of horses and jockeys are at no risk is to never run horse races. When you card winter racing, you card the racing knowing the temps will be very cold and there will be other elements, every day that horse races are run in winter, there's probably a little more chance for danger....but they are the ones who carded the races knowing all this in advance, its not like we sprung it on them that it might be in the 30s or colder in NY in January.

When you handicap winter racing, shouldn't you know the same things?

dirty moose
01-15-2015, 12:09 PM

Man you got all the answers don't you! You must be the guy running nyra...

bello
01-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Man you got all the answers don't you! You must be the guy running nyra...

Do I have an over\under on breakdowns today

Stillriledup
01-15-2015, 12:22 PM

Before i handicap winter racing, i check the weather forecast. When i see the little cloud with the little sun peeking out on the little cartoon graphic on weather dot com and the temp is 30 or something like that, i expect them to race, most tracks do.

cj
01-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Before i handicap winter racing, i check the weather forecast. When i see the little cloud with the little sun peeking out on the little cartoon graphic on weather dot com and the temp is 30 or something like that, i expect them to race, most tracks do.

Just like handicapping, you have to look deeper than that.

bello
01-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Let's hear what Maggie has to say.

cj
01-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Do I have an over\under on breakdowns today

Almost sounds like you are rooting for breakdowns. Hope I'm wrong.

bello
01-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Almost sounds like you are rooting for breakdowns. Hope I'm wrong.
No, My comment belongs in the sarcastic category.

dirty moose
01-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Lots of sensitivity around here today.

cj
01-15-2015, 12:54 PM
No, My comment belongs in the sarcastic category.

Got it, my mistake, sorry.

bello
01-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Got it, my mistake, sorry.

Not at all....Just a weak attempt on my part anyways.....And I of course hope not to see any today, but the #8 just fell after the finish line. Hopefully not a breakdown. If we see many today that may be the end of winter racing in NY for a spell.

cj
01-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Not at all....Just a weak attempt on my part anyways.....And I of course hope not to see any today, but the #8 just fell after the finish line. Hopefully not a breakdown. If we see many today that may be the end of winter racing in NY for a spell.

It isn't looking good, even if it is just a fluky thing.

Prytanis
01-15-2015, 05:39 PM
It isn't looking good, even if it is just a fluky thing.
It was announced at the track that they walked the horse back to the barn!

Prytanis
01-15-2015, 06:18 PM
It was announced at the track that they walked the horse back to the barn!
Sadly she was euthanized.

PaceAdvantage
01-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Lots of sensitivity around here today.Look int the mirror yourself

dirty moose
01-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Lol I never said I wasn't.

Tom
01-17-2015, 11:52 AM
So the Interborough is the 3rd today. Seen a few stakes races at the 3rd lately.
Why run your feature so early in the card?

In case you can't get 9 in and have to cancel?