PDA

View Full Version : Greendot Moneypaks

Unicorn
01-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Does anyone deposit using greendot moneypaks? In my area they have stopped selling them. Im not sure why. I thought maybe it was due to scammers. I do not use a debit or credit card for deposits. So im looking for a wagering site that accepts prepaid visa or mastercards or some other way to deposit easily. Does anybody else have this problem?

horses4courses
01-11-2015, 09:52 PM
There have been some recent scams involving Greendot packs.

I don't believe the product itself is flawed, it's just that it has
become a handy way for scammers to get paid.
Retailers who handled the product were having to become
watchdogs on the lookout for scams - hence their reluctance.

Here are some examples:

http://www.scambusters.org/greendot.html

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2014/09/bamboozled_how_to_end_moneypak_scams_if_you_cant_c atch_the_con_artists_kill_the_offending_cards.html

Unicorn
01-11-2015, 09:58 PM
Thank you for the info.

FocusWiz
01-11-2015, 10:01 PM
In one area near here there were supposedly scams threatening shut off of utilities unless payment was made. Payment was not able to be made by any means except through the GreenDot MoneyPaks.

The stores initially put up signs warning people not to pay anyone with these, but they continued to sell them. Quite a few stores no longer carry them.

I think the "flaw" (if you can call it that) is that unlike paying a person with a credit card, paying someone with a MoneyPak number allows them to spend it somewhat anonymously. If you pay a scammer with a credit card, they need a way to clear the transaction (usually requiring a merchant account). The MoneyPak number can be used by the scammer as if he bought the item himself/herself (no account setup required to spend the face value of the card).

Unicorn
01-11-2015, 10:14 PM
It seemed like a very nice and simple way to fund wagering accounts.

FocusWiz
01-11-2015, 10:20 PM
I agree. It is a pity that some are using it for negative purposes. Such is life.

Stoleitbreezing
01-12-2015, 04:16 PM
I've been funding my Twinspires account using Greendot Money Pack deposits for a few months now. It was my only alternative to buy in as my debit card and credit cards always blocked the deposit requests I made to the site. I found it convenient and it also provided me the ability to set a limit and keep it since I only got what I wanted to spend on the card.

At first I bought them from Walgreens but they wanted me to show ID and it took an hour for the funds to finally transfer to the card. I didn't want to wait the hour so I went to CVS and found it only took 30 minutes to transfer funds if purchased there. I also never had to show an ID for them to scan like Walgreens did. Recently, I went to CVS and found they removed all the Green Dot Money Packs from the endcap display. It didn't make much sense to me thinking they ran out as they had several cards available at all times on multiple hooks. I asked the cashier, but she didn't seem to know or care what I was talking about.

On my last trip to the gas station Speedway I noticed they had GDMPs so I bought one and put 50 or so on the card. I never purchased from Speedway before so I asked the cashier how long it would take for the funds to transfer and was told it should transfer "right away". I got the impression he wasn't entirely sure, so when I arrived home in 5 minutes I tried deposting and it transferred to my Twinspires account. I guess it is a immediate thing for Speedway. I'm not sure where you're located, but I would recommend going to Speedway.

I'm located in South Eastern Wisconsin.

Teach
01-12-2015, 05:57 PM
I'll echo some of the sentiments that have been made about Green Dot. I used to get them at a local CVS Pharmacy near me in the Greater Boston area. However, I too sadly learned that all the stores (at least the ones I've tried) have pulled them. I've tried CVS, Rite Aid and Walmart. No luck. There are other possibilities a little further afield but I'll likely call before I start running around trying to find one. I do remember one of the clerks telling me about a concern over "money laundering". I do know that TwinSpires limited you to 20 Green Dots per month.

On a similar note, have any of you tried Money Gram. My concern is that I don't like to give out information that I don't have to; that's why I stopped buying Green Dots at Walgreen's (plus the hour delay). Getting back to Money Gram, I was told that you speak to them (Money Gram) via a "special" phone (I had trouble believing that). That you provide them with some information, e.g., your name, address, where the deposit is going, etc. and then after you make your deposit you're good to go.

Have any forum members used Money Gram? How did that work out? Did you feel that any personal information was compromised? In this day and age of scams and identity theft, the less I have to provide in the way of personal information, the better.

Longshot6977
01-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Does anyone deposit using greendot moneypaks? In my area they have stopped selling them. Im not sure why. I thought maybe it was due to scammers. I do not use a debit or credit card for deposits. So im looking for a wagering site that accepts prepaid visa or mastercards or some other way to deposit easily. Does anybody else have this problem?

I used GDMP's from Rite Aid over the summer. I haven't bought one since about Aug'14 (YAY!) I don't know if they are still sold in my area of central NJ. I would add money on it and be home within 5 minutes and made deposits to TVG with no delays. Just don't reload them. Buy a new GDMP each time. I'm sure if you use their store locator you will find them locally.

Robert Goren
01-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Do a better job of wagering and you won't have to reload.

FocusWiz
01-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Do a better job of wagering and you won't have to reload.What a novel idea!

I think I will try that.

Stoleitbreezing
01-12-2015, 08:45 PM
I'll echo some of the sentiments that have been made about Green Dot. I used to get them at a local CVS Pharmacy near me in the Greater Boston area. However, I too sadly learned that all the stores (at least the ones I've tried) have pulled them. I've tried CVS, Rite Aid and Walmart. No luck. There are other possibilities a little further afield but I'll likely call before I start running around trying to find one. I do remember one of the clerks telling me about a concern over "money laundering". I do know that TwinSpires limited you to 20 Green Dots per month.

On a similar note, have any of you tried Money Gram. My concern is that I don't like to give out information that I don't have to; that's why I stopped buying Green Dots at Walgreen's (plus the hour delay). Getting back to Money Gram, I was told that you speak to them (Money Gram) via a "special" phone (I had trouble believing that). That you provide them with some information, e.g., your name, address, where the deposit is going, etc. and then after you make your deposit you're good to go.

Have any forum members used Money Gram? How did that work out? Did you feel that any personal information was compromised? In this day and age of scams and identity theft, the less I have to provide in the way of personal information, the better.

I've never used moneygram to fund into a gaming site. My friend would use it to fund and cash out from 5dimes when he bet sports. He had to make it out to people with multiple names i.e. Juan Jose Antonio Flores from somewhere in central america. Then would be questioned by the Wal-Mart clerk if he knew who that person was. Lol.

I prefer to keep it anonymous and won't use them if I can help it.

turninforhome10
01-12-2015, 09:35 PM
I've been funding my Twinspires account using Greendot Money Pack deposits for a few months now. It was my only alternative to buy in as my debit card and credit cards always blocked the deposit requests I made to the site. I found it convenient and it also provided me the ability to set a limit and keep it since I only got what I wanted to spend on the card.

At first I bought them from Walgreens but they wanted me to show ID and it took an hour for the funds to finally transfer to the card. I didn't want to wait the hour so I went to CVS and found it only took 30 minutes to transfer funds if purchased there. I also never had to show an ID for them to scan like Walgreens did. Recently, I went to CVS and found they removed all the Green Dot Money Packs from the endcap display. It didn't make much sense to me thinking they ran out as they had several cards available at all times on multiple hooks. I asked the cashier, but she didn't seem to know or care what I was talking about.

On my last trip to the gas station Speedway I noticed they had GDMPs so I bought one and put 50 or so on the card. I never purchased from Speedway before so I asked the cashier how long it would take for the funds to transfer and was told it should transfer "right away". I got the impression he wasn't entirely sure, so when I arrived home in 5 minutes I tried deposting and it transferred to my Twinspires account. I guess it is a immediate thing for Speedway. I'm not sure where you're located, but I would recommend going to Speedway.

I'm located in South Eastern Wisconsin.

Same here, was buying them at Walgreens, before the inquisition started. They also work good for paypal and keep my credit card off the web. The clerk at Walgreens stated, "This is to protect the country from money being sent to terrorists". Really. Went to 7-11, in and out the door, no ID and available after 30 minutes.

Teach
01-13-2015, 12:35 PM
I decided to go the money order route to fund my ADW account. I just can't give out information that might be compromised. It's just that a money order will take a few days via USPS to reach Lexington, KY. In the meantime, I went to a 7-11 in a neighboring town. They did have Green Dot cards, but they were different from the "scratch-off the numbers" on the back. The Money Pak talked about "reloading" card (account). I don't have an account. Basically, I didn't have any way of reloading (no established account). The clerk didn't seem to understand, either.

In the past, I'd give the clerk money, plus the $5 vig. I'd get a receipt that said "activated". I waited the half-hour. Typed in the scratched off numbers and voila! my account was credited with the amount of money I'd given the clerk.

If anyone can shed some light on this "new" Green Dot approach, I'd be very appreciative.

Stoleitbreezing
01-13-2015, 01:08 PM
I decided to go the money order route to fund my ADW account. I just can't give out information that might be compromised. It's just that a money order will take a few days via USPS to reach Lexington, KY. In the meantime, I went to a 7-11 in a neighboring town. They did have Green Dot cards, but they were different from the "scratch-off the numbers" on the back. The Money Pak talked about "reloading" card (account). I don't have an account. Basically, I didn't have any way of reloading (no established account). The clerk didn't seem to understand, either.

In the past, I'd give the clerk money, plus the $5 vig. I'd get a receipt that said "activated". I waited the half-hour. Typed in the scratched off numbers and voila! my account was credited with the amount of money I'd given the clerk.

If anyone can shed some light on this "new" Green Dot approach, I'd be very appreciative.

There are two different Green Dot cards available that i've seen. One is the Green Dot Money Pak which has the scratchable code or activation number on the back and the other is a Green Dot Prepaid Card. The prepaid cards are just like a prepaid visa card but from the company Greendot. I saw some greeen dot prepaid cards that look like gold colored credit cards. These I don't think you can use on ADWs like Twinspires. You have to look for the "ALL Green" cardboard ones that say "Green dot Money Pak" on them and has a gray strip like a lotto ticket to scratch off on the back. If they say something else or it looks like a credit card then its the wrong one.

thaskalos
01-13-2015, 02:01 PM
There are two different Green Dot cards available that i've seen. One is the Green Dot Money Pak which has the scratchable code or activation number on the back and the other is a Green Dot Prepaid Card. The prepaid cards are just like a prepaid visa card but from the company Greendot. I saw some greeen dot prepaid cards that look like gold colored credit cards. These I don't think you can use on ADWs like Twinspires. You have to look for the "ALL Green" cardboard ones that say "Green dot Money Pak" on them and has a gray strip like a lotto ticket to scratch off on the back. If they say something else or it looks like a credit card then its the wrong one.

And if you DO buy the reloadable credit card by mistake...you can't get your money back from the place that you bought it. You'll have to call the phone number on the back of the card, and mail the card in for a refund...which may take as long as 3 weeks to get to you.

turninforhome10
01-13-2015, 09:43 PM
I did find something kind of odd about moneypak and Twinspires. If you load a pak after 0200 and before 0400, the load can get "lost" and not show up as a deposit until you contact customer service. Don't do this on a Saturday night. :bang:

Stoleitbreezing
01-13-2015, 10:33 PM
I did find something kind of odd about moneypak and Twinspires. If you load a pak after 0200 and before 0400, the load can get "lost" and not show up as a deposit until you contact customer service. Don't do this on a Saturday night. :bang:

That is odd. I've never had a problem, but I've only transferred in the afternoon. How were they able to confirm funds?

turninforhome10
01-14-2015, 09:26 PM
That is odd. I've never had a problem, but I've only transferred in the afternoon. How were they able to confirm funds?
I had to call and ask them to activate the money that was already in my account. It was weird.

TonyMLake
01-14-2015, 11:03 PM
Do a better job of wagering and you won't have to reload.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to seem rude. I haven't had to put any money in my account in a few years; however, my girlfriend does in fact load with Green Dot Money Paks. She gets them at CVS and it takes about an hour or so for them to be activated. She hasn't had any trouble with them working at TVG. I actually like that she does this because it doesn't expose MY bank account or credit card data... hehe... she's actually a pretty good bettor though, to be fair.

pacer
01-16-2015, 08:19 AM
I get them at CVS and fund xpressbet money there immediately

Canarsie
01-16-2015, 09:30 AM
I bought one at a Walgreens around six months ago. They asked for my drivers license and scanned it. That whole process took around thirty seconds the cashier took longer to count the money.

I was able to use it immediately after that and it was done in one transaction. If push came to shove would I use it again? Absolutely it was easier than ordering fast food from the drive through or the counter.

At the age of sixty three I have given up trying to ultra maintain my privacy yet I am proud of each and every person who chooses to do so. My back is so bad sometimes I have a hard time using an electronic pen to complete a purchase.

But for those who don't want to give up their id I understand completely and back them 100%. It boils down to personal choice and the ones who choose to maintain their privacy are a strong lot and should be RESPECTED.

SirRabbit
01-16-2015, 10:46 AM
It may be a headache to some and a blessing to others, but the stores will be doing away with Green Dot in the near future.

Unome
01-16-2015, 11:40 AM
They are doing away with the MoneyPack people use now but are coming out with a different version of it.

Stoleitbreezing
01-16-2015, 01:54 PM
It may be a headache to some and a blessing to others, but the stores will be doing away with Green Dot in the near future.

I've noticed the CVS by me pulled them a week ago. I think Walgreens still has them on hand. Do you have a link with the date they are to be removed?

Stoleitbreezing
01-16-2015, 02:08 PM
NVM I found the below link. I'm not sure how I fund my Twinspires account going forward now. Guess I'll need to do a money order.

http://www.cspnet.com/category-news/general-merchandise/articles/green-dot-pulling-moneypak

PASADENA, Calif. -- In a decision based in part on concern over "victim-assisted" fraud, financial services company Green Dot has opted to discontinue its MoneyPak loadable debit-card product.

Noting the decision in a statement to a U.S. Senate hearing on fraud committed against the elderly last month, the Pasadena, Calif.-based company said it would "sunset" the product as of early in first-quarter 2015.

On the company's quarterly investor's call in late July, Green Dot founder, CEO and president Steven Streit said that the "benefit" of getting rid of MoneyPak is twofold: First, moving to reloading debit-card products at the register via card swipe (Green Dot's newest option) is a "more intuitive customer behavior, easier to teach for the new customer, easier to train for the cashier."

Second, "it really completely eliminates the opportunity for this third-party victim-assisted fraud, which I'm sure you've read about in the news quite a bit, has been a real challenge for us with that MoneyPak product," Streit said.

He called the entire fraud issue--which has been reported in news articles and blogs from Wyoming to New York--"a shame because it's a teeny tiny. If you look at the nefarious … use of the MoneyPak product, it's a tiny piece of that product, maybe less than 1% or 0.5% of all transactions."

But in terms of people affected, "it's just too much to deal with and so the answer is get rid of the product, get rid of that fraud and push all reloads to strictly swipe."

The company's "SwIT" or swipe interface technology first debuted at Bentonville, Ark.-based Walmart about a year ago, and since then, Green Dot has moved quickly to remove the original MoneyPak product out of all Walmarts and a couple of dollar-store retailers.

Originally, customers bought a MoneyPak product, which came with a personal identification number or PIN. They would use that number to go online and load the money onto a prepaid card.

Scammers would call unsuspecting targets, convince them they were officials with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or some other organization and get them to buy a MoneyPak product for a set dollar amount. Then the criminal would ask the victim for the PIN number and drain the account.

Ultimately, dropping MoneyPak will benefit Green Dot, Streit said. "It will save expenses; it will cut down on a lot of refunds and other things we've done to try to make customers whole," he said. "We'll protect our brand and our brand image, and we'll also facilitate a way easier and more logical method of reloading for our prepaid cardholders."

Green Dot Corp. is a bank holding company that owns Green Dot Bank, a state member bank located in Provo, Utah. It is regulated by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the State of Utah Department of Financial Institutions. The company has more than 600 domestic employees and offices in Pasadena, Calif.; Palo Alto, Calif.; Bentonville, Ark.; and Provo, Utah.

Longshot6977
01-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Is this issue with GDMPs just for the reloadable card? Or will they still let you buy them, scratch the number, then enter the number (for TVG deposits)? Anyone know?

Teach
01-18-2015, 10:14 AM
In answer to Longshot6977, I believe that the scratch-off the number version of GDMP that we've known and loved is going...going...gone! I saw a new version (cardboard) not the Visa or MasterCard at a local 7-Yo Eleven. The clerk knew nothing about the new, no numbers, version. I checked GDMP website. It appears you're going to need to establish an account, giving name, address, city or town, social security number and city in which you met your wife. Sorry, got carried away; I'm sure they're not asking the last one. Yet, who knows. The dealer-breaker for me is my social. In this identity-theft world - as Tony Soprano woulda said - "Fuhgettaboutit!"

Stoleitbreezing
01-19-2015, 03:19 PM
In answer to Longshot6977, I believe that the scratch-off the number version of GDMP that we've known and loved is going...going...gone! I saw a new version (cardboard) not the Visa or MasterCard at a local 7-Yo Eleven. The clerk knew nothing about the new, no numbers, version. I checked GDMP website. It appears you're going to need to establish an account, giving name, address, city or town, social security number and city in which you met your wife. Sorry, got carried away; I'm sure they're not asking the last one. Yet, who knows. The dealer-breaker for me is my social. In this identity-theft world - as Tony Soprano woulda said - "Fuhgettaboutit!"

I believe they are still keeping the "credit card looking" GDMPs and just doing away with the cardboard scratchable ones. What information is needed for Money orders? Anything more then usual?

Canarsie
01-20-2015, 10:49 AM
This is no lie and I have the emails to back it up. When I attempted to deposit $50 into my TVG account it took five business days. I did choose to keep the option to re enter my info every time because betfair has been hacked repeatedly.

When I called a lady kept on going blah, blah, blah, about money laundering. I said "hey it's 50 dollars not grand. She basically called me an idiot (I choose not to discuss that) and told me she worked on wall street for eighteen years. If anyone at TVG thinks this is a fairy tale I'm sure the conversation is recorded and I will make all the info I have readily available. They specifically state "you are able to make one deposit up to $100 once every five banking days". That is written in their email reply.

Charges and withdrawals and done in an instant now. When I paid my chiropractor the amount came up on my phone within 10 seconds of it being completed. The receptionist said "wow". Yet $50 or $100 has to wait a week for you to wager most people would head over to a fantasy site.

Stoleitbreezing
01-20-2015, 01:59 PM
This is no lie and I have the emails to back it up. When I attempted to deposit $50 into my TVG account it took five business days. I did choose to keep the option to re enter my info every time because betfair has been hacked repeatedly.

When I called a lady kept on going blah, blah, blah, about money laundering. I said "hey it's 50 dollars not grand. She basically called me an idiot (I choose not to discuss that) and told me she worked on wall street for eighteen years. If anyone at TVG thinks this is a fairy tale I'm sure the conversation is recorded and I will make all the info I have readily available. They specifically state "you are able to make one deposit up to $100 once every five banking days". That is written in their email reply.

Charges and withdrawals and done in an instant now. When I paid my chiropractor the amount came up on my phone within 10 seconds of it being completed. The receptionist said "wow". Yet $50 or $100 has to wait a week for you to wager most people would head over to a fantasy site.

So depositing using GDMP takes 5 business days to clear and can only be $100? That just for TVG or Twinsipires too? I've not bought one for a while and not sure if anything changed.

Grits
01-20-2015, 02:43 PM

This is disappointing to learn. Someone told me, long ago, to go with these. Just the G.Dot Money Pack. Not reloadable. I did, right away, and I've had no problem with them. They've gone through like a breeze with the new balance in place, minutes later.

If this is the case with the newly issued cards--requiring one's SS#?
No more. That's a deal breaker. Why make things so very difficult?

thaskalos
01-20-2015, 03:01 PM
So depositing using GDMP takes 5 business days to clear and can only be $100? That just for TVG or Twinsipires too? I've not bought one for a while and not sure if anything changed.

I buy them in $500 increments at my local CVS...where they ask for your SS#, but they barely look at it. :)

And Twinspires credits me for my deposit instantly.

Grits
01-20-2015, 03:21 PM
I buy them in $500 increments at my local CVS...where they ask for your SS#, but they barely look at it. :)

And Twinspires credits me for my deposit instantly.

I do the same at Walgreen, Thask. Though, as noted, I've not bought one requiring my SS# and signing up for any kind of account. Have you been asked to open some kind of Green Dot account?

thaskalos
01-20-2015, 03:26 PM
I do the same at Walgreen, Thask. Though, as noted, I've not bought one requiring my SS# and signing up for any kind of account. Have you been asked to open some kind of Green Dot account?

No...I never opened any sort of account with them.

I once bought the Green Dot reloadable credit card at Walgreens, because I thought that was what was required...but Twinspires told me that I couldn't use it to make a deposit. I called the phone number on the back of the card, and was told to mail the card to the main office in order to get my refund. It took about 3 weeks.

Stoleitbreezing
01-20-2015, 03:48 PM

Walgreens will always ask for IDs on GDMPs. Like someone else said earlier, they are concerned about potential money laundering so I think they have to scan your driver's license to avoid liability.

I think i'll need to deposit in a bigger amount before they are eventually phased out.

Grits
01-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Walgreens will always ask for IDs on GDMPs. Like someone else said earlier, they are concerned about potential money laundering so I think they have to scan your driver's license to avoid liability.

I think i'll need to deposit in a bigger amount before they are eventually phased out.

I know, they've always done this. I made the mistake that Thask made once--bought the wrong reloadable card. Gave it to my younger brother, told him, "Merry Christmas Early." .... Brothers watch over their sisters. <3

Stoleitbreezing
01-20-2015, 04:52 PM
I know, they've always done this. I made the mistake that Thask made once--bought the wrong reloadable card. Gave it to my younger brother, told him, "Merry Christmas Early." .... Brothers watch over their sisters. <3

That is funny. I'm sure others have made the same mistake. :lol:

BuddyOscar
01-21-2015, 01:41 PM
I've bought maybe 10 of these over the years at Walgreens and never once showed an ID.

Stoleitbreezing
01-21-2015, 03:49 PM
I've bought maybe 10 of these over the years at Walgreens and never once showed an ID.

I'm amazed by this. Both IL and WI locations I've been to, anything to do with alcohol, cigarettes, and prepaid cards they always scan your ID. For cigs and beer I get it. For GDMP I don't agree with what they do.

Canarsie
01-22-2015, 08:36 AM

Sorry I didn't write out what happened more clearly my bad.

It took five business days for a check to clear the GDMP was credited instantly.

The lady who spoke to me about money laundering should be fired. She was obnoxious and every time I proved what she said was wrong she got more biligent and touting how long she worked on Wall Street. She basically said the tvg faq was clearly wrong and she was 100% right. If that was a new customer they might have said 'screw it I'll play fantasy sports at least I'll get treated in a civil manner".

Stoleitbreezing
01-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Sorry I didn't write out what happened more clearly my bad.

It took five business days for a check to clear the GDMP was credited instantly.

The lady who spoke to me about money laundering should be fired. She was obnoxious and every time I proved what she said was wrong she got more biligent and touting how long she worked on Wall Street. She basically said the tvg faq was clearly wrong and she was 100% right. If that was a new customer they might have said 'screw it I'll play fantasy sports at least I'll get treated in a civil manner".

This level of customer service for horseplayers is all too commonplace. The OTBs, Tracks, and ADWs need to be mindful of the horsesplayers instead of what this example shows.

BettinBilly
01-29-2015, 10:35 PM
I used a GDMP just once to open one of my ADW accounts. The $5.00 service fee was a bit of a turn off, and I just didn't like having to go to a store and buy a new card every time for an extra five bucks. I know it's not that much but it adds up and it seemed high. So I have a dedicated Visa I use to fund. I'm fairly certain that for a while, I did use a MC or Visa DEBIT card and it went through at TVG no problem. Same with TwinSpires and Expressbet, although I may have used a regular Visa or MC. I simply can't remember. TVG only charges $3.00 per deposit (I think) which is the lowest of any of the big three ADW sites.

It is a shame none of the sites take American Express. Amex SERVE is a free prepaid card, and you can reload it at any Wallmart or CVS at no charge. That would be the ticket for guys that don't want to or cant use their bank credit or debit cards.