PDA

View Full Version : Frankly my dear I don't give a F...

DJofSD
01-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Expose about not giving a f*ck (contains offensive language). (http://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-****)

Greyfox
01-10-2015, 12:23 PM
75 years ago it used to be "I don't give a darn."
60 years ago it used to be "I don't give a damn."
50 years ago it became "I don't give a shit."
25 years ago it became "I don't give a rat's ass."
We're more sophisticated today and it's become "I don't give a f...k.":rolleyes:

Clocker
01-10-2015, 12:29 PM
If you feel compelled to explain why you don't give a f***, then you really do give a f***. In which case, you are not qualified to write an article about not giving a f***.

DJofSD
01-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Well, the writer claimed there is a limited number to give out, so he likely wrote the piece knowing he just used one. But then maybe he didn't give a f*ck.

Dave Schwartz
01-10-2015, 12:43 PM
If you feel compelled to explain why you don't give a f***, then you really do give a f***. In which case, you are not qualified to write an article about not giving a f***.

In some odd kind of way, this makes way more sense than I like to admit.

:lol:

DJofSD
01-10-2015, 12:44 PM
In some odd kind of way, this makes way more sense than I like to admit.

:lol:
Do you mean in a Monty Python argument clinic kind of way?

Dave Schwartz
01-10-2015, 12:49 PM
LOL - Yes.

BTW, when I read articles like this, I use this tool. Give it a try. You will be amazed at what it does for your reading speed and comprehension.

Take the tes, to see where you are starting, then ust add the app to your toolbar (or device) and watch the words fly by.

http://www.spritzinc.com/

mostpost
01-10-2015, 02:56 PM
I would comment on all this, but I really.......you know.

banacek
01-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Makes me think of the only part of the new Gambler movie I liked: John Goodman's "f*** you speech". He should win best supporting actor just for it.

(Caution: Language warning :blush: )

NiiaoUnkMvQ

whodoyoulike
01-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Back in my day, I used to feel this way. F*ck, I still may.

DJofSD
01-11-2015, 09:52 AM
LOL - Yes.

BTW, when I read articles like this, I use this tool. Give it a try. You will be amazed at what it does for your reading speed and comprehension.

Take the tes, to see where you are starting, then ust add the app to your toolbar (or device) and watch the words fly by.

http://www.spritzinc.com/

Did I miss it or is this app just for *NIX platforms, not for Windows?

As I recall from a course I took (could have been, yes, Evelyn Wood), the key technique is to jump from a cluster of words to another, comprehending more than one word at a time. This app just speeds things up but one word at a time, no?

BTW, thanks Dave.

sammy the sage
01-12-2015, 07:19 AM
TIMES WHEN USING THE “F” WORD WAS ACCEPTABLE

There are only ten times in history where the”F" word has been considered acceptable for use.
They are as follows:

10. "What the @#$% do you mean, we are sinking?"
Capt. E.J. Smith of RMS Titanic, 1912

9. "What the @#$% was that?"
Mayor Of Hiroshima, 1945

8. "Where did all those @#$%ing Indians come from?"
Custer, 1877

7. "Any @#$%ing idiot could understand that."
Einstein, 1938

6. "It does so @#$%ing look like her!"
Picasso, 1926

5. "How the @#$% did you work that out?"
Pythagoras, 126 BC

4. "You want WHAT on the @#$%ing ceiling?”
Michelangelo, 1566

3. "Where the @#$% are we?"
Amelia Earhart, 1937

2. "Scattered @#$%ing showers, my ass!"
Noah, 4314 BC

and number 1 is ....

... wait for it

.... wait for it

1. "Aw c'mon. Who the @#$% is going to find out?"
Bill Clinton, 1998

Dave Schwartz
01-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Did I miss it or is this app just for *NIX platforms, not for Windows?

I use it on Windows. Downloaded the free app from the website.

As I recall from a course I took (could have been, yes, Evelyn Wood), the key technique is to jump from a cluster of words to another, comprehending more than one word at a time. This app just speeds things up but one word at a time, no?

There is a process:

1. Stop sub-vocalizing.
2. Use your finger to get your eyes to follow across page.
3. Read wider than single word. (Learn 2 words, then 3, then 1/3 of page, etc. eventually expand to entire page width if you can. I never got past 1/2 page width.)
4. Practice page turning as it becomes a bottleneck.
5. Practice.

I have had several conversations with these guys about expanding the speed and the width. They're of the opinion that single word is optimum.

I am seriously considering taking the time to write a little app for my use that:
1. Allows me to copy text onto a page.
2. Does what their app does but is more programmable.

Robert Goren
01-12-2015, 02:43 PM
My dad told me that the people who use foul language are trying to get people to look at them and have other way of doing it. I have yet to run across a case where my dad was not correct.

Tom
01-12-2015, 03:38 PM
What are you #$^@%&* talking about, Bobby?

Dave,

Evelyn Wood - I took that one Saturday just prior to starting college.
Very worthwhile course....gisting and scanning and clumping.

The most effective use I got out of it all is I can zip through junk email
in a flash! :D

GaryG
01-13-2015, 10:58 AM
This is really good advice. When I was young I didn't give a F about anything, I did what I wanted when I wanted with no regard for the consequences. Now, like most of us, I give too many F's about trivial ass things like snow to shovel and yesterday's Pick 4. I am liberated from that now, thank you DJofSD.

DJofSD
01-13-2015, 11:31 AM
This is really good advice. When I was young I didn't give a F about anything, I did what I wanted when I wanted with no regard for the consequences. Now, like most of us, I give too many F's about trivial ass things like snow to shovel and yesterday's Pick 4. I am liberated from that now, thank you DJofSD.
Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water.
After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water.