PDA

View Full Version : Brass Dice

098poi
01-10-2015, 12:10 PM
(I wasn't sure what thread to put this in)

I may have posted this story before but I will do so again. When I was in my 20's and lived in Los Angeles I used to go to Las Vegas a lot. Many times I would lose all my money and cash my plane ticket in for one last shot only having to hitchhike home or take a bus. One time I lost everything and I called a friend in LA. He wired me enough money to get a bus home. I got the money and I said I am going to get something out of this so I went to the souvenir shop and bought these brass dice for about $8 I think. I took the bus back to the Greyhound in downtown LA (a lovely place, make sure you visit if you are ever in the area). My friend came down to pick me up. In the car he was balling me out a little how I lose money and others have to bail me out etc. Then I said, "Yeah but look what I got", and pulled out my brass dice! I was serious, I really thought I had something. He shook his head and burst my bubble about how $8 dice is hardly worth the few hundred dollars I lost and all the headaches involved. I always kept them as a reminder of my gambling problem.

Fast forward 30 or 35 years. I now live in Massachusetts and took the dice with me. In about an hour from right now I am returning my leased Nissan Altima and will probably get a new one. I have ripped my room up and down to find the spare electronic key which if you don't return they charge you 2 or 3 hundred dollars. In the last drawer I looked (I thought it was a spare underwear drawer) A-HA, I found it, right next to my brass dice. So I am in a better mood now and can trade in my car with a clearer head.

whodoyoulike
01-10-2015, 04:41 PM
(I wasn't sure what thread to put this in)

I may have posted this story before but I will do so again. When I was in my 20's and lived in Los Angeles I used to go to Las Vegas a lot. Many times I would lose all my money and cash my plane ticket in ... I took the bus back to the Greyhound in downtown LA (a lovely place, make sure you visit if you are ever in the area)...

You must have been one of the wealthy 20 somethings to be able to afford plane fare.

And, I used to use the Greyhound which I believe was in Burbank.

098poi
01-10-2015, 06:02 PM
I think it was like $80 round trip. Western Airlines, i don't think they are around anymore but I don't know.

whodoyoulike
01-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Oh, I believe you're correct. Round trip by bus was around $20. A "nice" long ride.