PDA

View Full Version : Where They Play For Pay - Divisional Playoff Round

NJ Stinks
01-10-2015, 10:04 AM
No time like the present to dazzle one another with astute observations and/or picks in this week's Divisional Playoff Round. Or swing and miss as is more likely the case. :)

I'll fire the first shots. I'm going against the old guys. Peyton is going to be 39 in a couple months. I believe he had enough trouble in playoff games when he was 29. Maybe the Broncos are just so much superior to the Colts and maybe they aren't. I intend to play the guy in his prime and see where the chips fall.

Same deal with 37 year old Tom Brady. Brady won his first 10 playoff games and has about a .500 winning percentage in the playoffs since he last won a Super Bowl in 2004. Maybe the Patriots are so good this year that young Tom Brady is not required. I'm going to find out by backing a Baltimore team that does not appear to have reason to dread the trip to Foxborough.

Anybody else have an opinion/selection to express on this weekend's NFL playoff games?

Valuist
01-10-2015, 11:13 PM
I've got news for ESPN; the Patriots were NOT the best team in the NFL this season, and neither were the Packers, Broncos or Colts. Once again, its Seattle. For all the nonsense the talking heads spew about it being nothing but a passing game, Seattle is the best team because they are the most physical. Teams pay a price after they play Seattle. I've said it before; they were not only the best team from last season, but the season before that, and this one.

RXB
01-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Seahawks are very good but I don't think they're quite as dominant as they were last season. They've won 10 of their last 11 but look who they played during that stretch:

Carolina (7-8-1)
New Orleans (7-9)
NY Giants (6-10)
Lost to Kansas City (9-7)
Arizona (Palmer out, sub-.500 after his injury)
San Fran (8-8)
Philly (10-6)
San Fran again
Arizona (down to Lindley at QB by this point)
St. Louis (6-10)
Carolina again

Not exactly a murderers' row.

Stillriledup
01-10-2015, 11:37 PM
No time like the present to dazzle one another with astute observations and/or picks in this week's Divisional Playoff Round. Or swing and miss as is more likely the case. :)

I'll fire the first shots. I'm going against the old guys. Peyton is going to be 39 in a couple months. I believe he had enough trouble in playoff games when he was 29. Maybe the Broncos are just so much superior to the Colts and maybe they aren't. I intend to play the guy in his prime and see where the chips fall.

Same deal with 37 year old Tom Brady. Brady won his first 10 playoff games and has about a .500 winning percentage in the playoffs since he last won a Super Bowl in 2004. Maybe the Patriots are so good this year that young Tom Brady is not required. I'm going to find out by backing a Baltimore team that does not appear to have reason to dread the trip to Foxborough.

Anybody else have an opinion/selection to express on this weekend's NFL playoff games?

37 huh?

Wasn't Bonds 37 when he hit all those Home Runs?

NJ Stinks
01-11-2015, 04:03 PM
That no catch call was supreme BS. Bryant took a couple steps before falling to the ground.

And I ain't no Dallas fan.

RXB
01-11-2015, 04:10 PM
That no catch call was supreme BS. Bryant took a couple steps before falling to the ground.

The way that rule is, it's incomplete. I hate the rule, or at least the way it gets interpreted in a case like this where he's got complete control for a couple of strides and then the ball came loose only because he stretched his arm for the end zone. But that's how the rule is, so the ref has to overturn.

Stillriledup
01-11-2015, 04:12 PM

LOL now the NFL can say "See, we dont fix games for Dallas" That's big for them after last week.

RXB
01-11-2015, 04:13 PM
PS, Seahawks' fans can probably make their Super Bowl plans because I can't imagine Green Bay beating them with a one-legged QB. Green Bay's O-line dominated the Cowboys' front four in pass protection; not going to happen against Seattle.

horses4courses
01-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Seahawks are very good but I don't think they're quite as dominant as they were last season. They've won 10 of their last 11 but look who they played during that stretch:

Carolina (7-8-1)
New Orleans (7-9)
NY Giants (6-10)
San Fran (8-8)
Philly (10-6)
San Fran again
St. Louis (6-10)
Carolina again

Show me any other team that wouldn't lose 2, or more, of those games.
Seattle is the #1 seed for a reason.
They have the majority of the best athletes.

They're not a lock to win it all - it just takes one bad game.
But, they are worthy favorites.

thaskalos
01-11-2015, 04:16 PM
The refs must have decided to even things up for that terrible call against Detroit last week. They must feel that two wrongs make a right. :rolleyes:

burnsy
01-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Carolina (7-8-1)
New Orleans (7-9)
NY Giants (6-10)
San Fran (8-8)
Philly (10-6)
San Fran again
St. Louis (6-10)
Carolina again

Somewhat true, but then again San Fran, Arizona and the Rams could of won some of these other divisions. Its a league of parody, they are not way better....but the question becomes who is better than them? Put it this way.....if Aaron Rodgers comes hobbling in there next week and his calf is not healed up.....he's a sitting duck and probably won't last the entire game.

RXB
01-11-2015, 04:21 PM
Show me any other team that wouldn't lose 2, or more, of those games.

New England lost their meaningless last game, lost by five at Green Bay, won every thing else in their last dozen, including absolutely whipping four playoff teams. So there's one team that I think wouldn't lose two or more against that soft slate.

RXB
01-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Somewhat true, but then again San Fran, Arizona and the Rams could of won some of these other divisions. Its a league of parody, they are not way better....but the question becomes who is better than them? Put it this way.....if Aaron Rodgers comes hobbling in there next week and his calf is not healed up.....he's a sitting duck and probably won't last the entire game.

What would Arizona have won with Lindley at QB? From Palmer to Stanton was bad enough, from Stanton to Lindley was the end of any hopes. The Rams, please, they were 6-10 and were using Shaun Hill at QB late in the season. San Francisco was strictly an ordinary team. The NFC West wasn't as strong this season as last season, especially after Arizona was decimated by the QB injuries.

thaskalos
01-11-2015, 04:29 PM
New England lost their meaningless last game, lost by five at Green Bay, won every thing else in their last dozen, including absolutely whipping four playoff teams. So there's one team that I think wouldn't lose two or more against that soft slate.
Are you saying that you like New England's chances against Seattle, should they meet in the Super Bowl?

Stillriledup
01-11-2015, 04:30 PM
The refs must have decided to even things up for that terrible call against Detroit last week. They must feel that two wrongs make a right. :rolleyes:

After last week, a LOT of people were thinking "refs in the NFL fix games, and they do it for the Cowboys because of Jerry, Christie, etc" So, if you are a ref and you know that your co-workers are being questioned for game fixing for helping the Cowboys win, wouldn't it be a good idea to show everyone that you DONT help the cowboys win? Yeah, its a good idea.

RXB
01-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Are you saying that you like New England's chances against Seattle, should they meet in the Super Bowl?

I'm saying it should be a competitive game. Do you need a reminder of what New England did against some quality teams?

Cincy 43-17
Denver 43-21
Indy 42-20
Detroit 34-9

Those last three were in consecutive games. Has any other team ever killed three teams with 10 or 11 wins by 20+ points three weeks in a row? Where is this idea coming from that New England would be a piece of cake for Seattle?

RXB
01-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Sorry, that should read 11 or 12 wins, not 10 or 11. Even more impressive.

RXB
01-11-2015, 04:50 PM
if Aaron Rodgers comes hobbling in there next week and his calf is not healed up.....he's a sitting duck and probably won't last the entire game.

He has a significant calf injury; it won't heal until the offseason. Calf injuries are SOB's; I know from personal experience.

thaskalos
01-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Those last three were in consecutive games. Has any other team ever killed three teams with 10 or 11 wins by 20+ points three weeks in a row? Where is this idea coming from that New England would be a piece of cake for Seattle?

I never said piece of cake. I think it will be an entertaining game...with Seattle winning by at least 7.

The reason I asked you was because, the way you were comparing the schedules of the two teams...it appeared as if you considered them to be of equal quality.

RXB
01-11-2015, 05:24 PM
I never said piece of cake. I think it will be an entertaining game...with Seattle winning by at least 7.

If you think one team should be favoured by 7 or more on a neutral field, that's a big gap in quality.

thaskalos
01-11-2015, 06:43 PM
If you think one team should be favoured by 7 or more on a neutral field, that's a big gap in quality.
I think Seattle will be favored by 3.5

RXB
01-11-2015, 06:55 PM
I think Seattle will be favored by 3.5

But we're talking about what YOU THINK they should be favoured by, and you said that you think Seattle will win "by at least 7."

thaskalos
01-11-2015, 06:59 PM
But we're talking about what YOU THINK they should be favoured by, and you said that you think Seattle will win "by at least 7."
Yes...I think Seattle will win comfortably. It's the only team without a noticeable weakness...IMO.

Stillriledup
01-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Sea -7.5 vs GB opener at Pinny.

burnsy
01-11-2015, 07:02 PM
He has a significant calf injury; it won't heal until the offseason. Calf injuries are SOB's; I know from personal experience.

That's what I kind of thought but wasn't sure. I pulled a groin muscle once and it took weeks to go away. It will be tough for GB to win if he can't move around. That's their best weapon vs. a team like Seattle. I don't think New England would be a piece of cake but they would need a perfect game to beat Seattle. Plus, they have wins like that every year and its not enough to best some of these defensive teams. New England could not stop the run yesterday and they couldn't run.....that does not bode well vs. Seattle. If they get Brady on the run or hit him, it will be hard for them to win. That's what usually gets them beat. Forget the regular season, yesterday New England struggled doing things you have to do to beat teams like Seattle. If they count on Brady passing 50 times...like yesterday...good luck.

tucker6
01-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Peyton played like garbage today. 21/40, 152 yards. Sanchez-like...

Wonder if next year is his last, unless this year is his last. His passes were not crisp.

thaskalos
01-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Peyton played like garbage today. 21/40, 152 yards. Sanchez-like...

Wonder if next year is his last, unless this year is his last. His passes were not crisp.
If he tried a Hail Mary at the end of the game...how close to the end zone do you think he would have gotten?

tucker6
01-11-2015, 09:03 PM
If he tried a Hail Mary at the end of the game...how close to the end zone do you think he would have gotten?
His arm was completely dead today. He threw a 20 yard pass that required zip and it had an arc to it. Never saw that before from him. I always say that a QB can go from All Pro to nothing in a year at this age (38), and we may be seeing that from Peyton.

horses4courses
01-11-2015, 09:08 PM
His arm was completely dead today. He threw a 20 yard pass that required zip and it had an arc to it. Never saw that before from him. I always say that a QB can go from All Pro to nothing in a year at this age (38), and we may be seeing that from Peyton.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Denver in the off-season.
I can't imagine John Elway, and those in charge of the Broncos,
to stand idly by if Peyton is damaged goods.

tucker6
01-12-2015, 06:16 AM
Interesting Peyton stat I came across this morning from yesterday's game.

He was 20-25 for 104 for passes that traveled 5 yards or less.

He was 6-21 for 107 for passes that traveled 5 yards or more.

Of those passes that went five yards or more, he was 2-12 for 49 yards if he tried to pass 15 yards or more.

This is one set of stats that don't lie from the visual of the game. The Colts said after the game that they forced Peyton to beat them deep as they didn't think he could. And he didn't.

RXB
01-12-2015, 12:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12154238/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-played-torn-right-quad-last-month-season

Torn right quad is the word on Manning.

tucker6
01-12-2015, 01:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12154238/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-played-torn-right-quad-last-month-season

Torn right quad is the word on Manning.
Makes you wonder how big the league fine will be for not reporting it for four straight weeks.

RXB
01-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Yes, I guess there is a disclosure issue.

I'm sure the quad injury was a problem but Manning hadn't played very well for a month prior to that San Diego game where he apparently tore the quad. I think it exacerbated the situation but wasn't the sole reason for his performance decline.

Clocker
01-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Makes you wonder how big the league fine will be for not reporting it for four straight weeks.

From the linked article:

Broncos doctors knew about the injury, and Manning did what he could to intentionally conceal the injury from as many people as possible, sources said. Manning had been listed on each of Denver's injury reports following the Dec. 14 game as having an injured thigh. Listing the severity on the report is not required.

NJ Stinks
01-12-2015, 02:04 PM
A few points:

1. When I said I was going against Peyton and Brady in the first post in this thread, I had no idea Manning would struggle like he did. I just figured getting a 7 point head start with Luck and Flacco were decent bets. No way do I believe the Peyton we saw yesterday was just a guy who played like he was too old to be on the field. There was definitely something wrong yesterday - and now we get confirmation that there was.

2. Whoever decided to rush 3 guys most of the 2nd half against GB was wrong. Rodgers was a shade of his usual awesome self yesterday because of his injured calf. The Cowboys should have been blitzing - not laying back.

3. Now we are stuck with GB and their wounded QB trying to make a game of it in Seattle. It won't be much of a game IMO. On the other hand, Dallas against Seattle would have been a game to look forward to.

4. If I was booking bets next week, I would not accept a bet on Seattle unless I was getting at least 13 points. (I expect the real line to go up to 9 or 9.5 by Sunday barring a new significant Seattle injury.)

5. All Carolina needs is a better QB. Newton may fit the bill eventually. Or maybe not.

tucker6
01-12-2015, 02:26 PM
A few points:

5. All Carolina needs is a better QB. Newton may fit the bill eventually. Or maybe not.
Cam just makes some god awful decisions in games. He is an above average QB what I'd rank from 10th to 12th and no higher. IMO, that means you can't win a SB with Cam without a strong defense and/or better offensive help. He alone cannot carry a team like Brady, Rodgers, etc. Not even close.

tucker6
01-12-2015, 02:27 PM
new reports say it was a strained quad, which means a slight tear to Peyton's quad. Probably a severe charley horse effect.

proximity
01-12-2015, 06:49 PM
This is one set of stats that don't lie from the visual of the game. The Colts said after the game that they forced Peyton to beat them deep as they didn't think he could. And he didn't.

idk if the colts forced him to do anything but he challenged our strength (the corners) way too much and as de facto offensive coordinator must take a lot of the blame.

Stillriledup
01-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Imagine having "inside info" on this injury. Could have made a LOT of money betting against this guy.