PDA

View Full Version : is it my computer or this website?

davew
01-09-2015, 09:47 PM
keep getting sent to a crap page

lemode-mgz.com

webpage about fit mom daily

GameTheory
01-09-2015, 09:55 PM

lemode-mgz.com

Your computer.

ArlJim78
01-09-2015, 09:55 PM
must be you. having no issues like that.

Overlay
01-09-2015, 09:59 PM

lemode-mgz.com

Whether it's my computer or not, it's happening to me, too, and only when I'm on this site (even if I'm logged out as a user).

FantasticDan
01-09-2015, 10:12 PM
I was just bitching about this to my wife, so count me as three. It only seems to be affecting my iPad, not my desktop.. and it started a few days ago.

whodoyoulike
01-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Add me to the list. Started just a little while ago but, only when I was viewing only one of the threads. Didn't notice it earlier today.

GameTheory
01-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Hmmm...I take it back, sounds like it is a rogue google ad. Lots of other places having the same problem, but seems to be tied to certain ads on certain platforms.

Tom
01-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Me too, last couple of days.
Another thing, I have had the screen lose laa the test a couple of time....all I get in place of thread titles, etc. is ____________ ______ __________

Have to exit the site then come back on.

ReplayRandall
01-09-2015, 11:09 PM
It happens only on page 3 of the thread "Horse of the year"..........

MONEY
01-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Me too.

It began after I clicked on a link in post #118 in the "12 killed in Paris."thread.

I cleared my browsing history and the hijacking stopped.

PhantomOnTour
01-09-2015, 11:15 PM
I blame Obama

Jeff P
01-09-2015, 11:29 PM
Count me in as well.

I "solved" it for Chrome (at least so far as getting ME a temporary solution) by disabling JavaScript before visiting this site.

From what I can tell the rogue 'ads' are using JavaScript to cause Chrome (and likely other browsers) to redirect away from this site to web pages designed to deliver malware.

So far Malwarebytes has been 100% effective in removing malware recently picked up.

-jp

PaceAdvantage
01-10-2015, 03:38 AM
I have seen a popup appear...but it happens maybe once every couple of weeks at most. And I've never been infected with any malware or viruses from this website.

To be sure, I just scanned my PC with Hitman, Malwarebytes and MSE, and all three returned a clean bill of health.

I can assume I'm on this site at least as much or more than anyone else...lol

As for Tom's observation that text can disappear, to be replaced by lines...try the following and see if this helps (I think this is happening only in Chrome):

Type the following into the Chrome web address bar:

chrome://flags/

Then "Disable DirectWrite"...I believe it's the third option from the top...see if that helps...

tucker6
01-10-2015, 07:09 AM
I have seen a popup appear...but it happens maybe once every couple of weeks at most. And I've never been infected with any malware or viruses from this website.

To be sure, I just scanned my PC with Hitman, Malwarebytes and MSE, and all three returned a clean bill of health.

I can assume I'm on this site at least as much or more than anyone else...lol

As for Tom's observation that text can disappear, to be replaced by lines...try the following and see if this helps (I think this is happening only in Chrome):

Type the following into the Chrome web address bar:

chrome://flags/

Then "Disable DirectWrite"...I believe it's the third option from the top...see if that helps...
Thank you!! Interesting that when I went to that chrome site, it was the only thing dis-enabled on my computer. Let's see if this works.

MJC922
01-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Hmmm...I take it back, sounds like it is a rogue google ad. Lots of other places having the same problem, but seems to be tied to certain ads on certain platforms.

Yeah something about adwynne.com through google ads.

tucker6
01-10-2015, 09:52 AM
took me two minutes just now to get into the site, because as soon as PA screen came up, it went straight to other ads like Good Houskeeping, etc. Mike, I think you have an issue, as I'm not getting it on any other site.

Tom
01-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Thanks, PA, I will give it a try.
It is only on Chrome that it happens.

FantasticDan
01-10-2015, 10:27 AM
took me two minutes just now to get into the site, because as soon as PA screen came up, it went straight to other ads like Good Houskeeping, etc. Mike, I think you have an issue, as I'm not getting it on any other site.Yeah, it's not just a pop-up as PA mentioned, it's a full redirect. And it's been happening for me on iOS/Safari, not Chrome. The Good Housekeeping in particular..

I deleted all cookies and website data across the board. We'll see if it keeps happening.

davew
01-10-2015, 10:45 AM
I am using internet explorer

it is a google redirect - a search has found some other message boards with same issue.

I used internet options and deleted all cookies and browsing history, and it has not happened since.

I suspect it was something in the 12 dead in France thread, a link or a link on a linked page.

Dave Schwartz
01-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Guess I dodged a bullet here because (coincidently) I cleared cache and history yesterday.

PA, can you elaborate on what that fix you suggested actually does?

TJDave
01-10-2015, 12:44 PM
It only seems to be affecting my iPad, not my desktop.. and it started a few days ago.

Same, same

Dave Schwartz
01-10-2015, 01:15 PM
If it is just on one device as opposed to all, then surely there is a component of installation (i.e. malware).

TJDave
01-10-2015, 01:33 PM
This is site specific. Only happens on PA. Apparently, IE is blocking the redirect where Safari is not.

Dave Schwartz
01-10-2015, 01:54 PM
TJ,

Perhaps it exploits a flaw in the forum software being used. That might make the most sense. Thus, any forum that you visit that uses this software (and similar version) would be susceptible to exploit.

Then there would be the browser component. As you said, it appears that Chrome does not prevent the re-direct.

If the issue exists in Chrome on one device and not another, then it would be logical that there has been a local installation of something.

If it were the site itself, then the re-direct would occur on every machine that is running Chrome.

whodoyoulike
01-10-2015, 03:58 PM
JeffP and others...

Thanks, I cleared the history in Chrome from beginning of time yesterday without a re-occurrence so far. I also viewed the "12 killed" thread earlier yesterday but, my re-direct was when I was in another thread.

After I cleared the history in Chrome, I noticed the "automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google" was unchecked. I've re-checked it.

boxcar
01-10-2015, 06:41 PM
You Firefox users, install No-Script on your 'puters and you probably won't have any problems.

PaceAdvantage
01-13-2015, 08:32 AM
I use chrome extensively and have never been redirected anywhere ever...

tucker6
01-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Interesting that I had problems after entering the Paris bombing thread here a week ago. I deleted cookies, never re-entered this thread, and all was well. Went to another website yesterday and entered a Paris bombing thread, and viola, the problem cropped up again. Deleted cookies and all is well again. With that limited sample size, I'm willing to bet that there is a virus of some sort on one of the attachments in those similar threads.

JustRalph
01-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Interesting that I had problems after entering the Paris bombing thread here a week ago. I deleted cookies, never re-entered this thread, and all was well. Went to another website yesterday and entered a Paris bombing thread, and viola, the problem cropped up again. Deleted cookies and all is well again. With that limited sample size, I'm willing to bet that there is a virus of some sort on one of the attachments in those similar threads.

It's not a virus. It's a redirect. It's set off by some older code on one of those websites. Probably related to an ad.

It's a malicious ad (I guess you could call it malware) that some advertiser has probably provided to a news site and the news site isn't aware. In fact it's probably two pieces of software working in concert. Very small but only effective if you have both pieces. I haven't been redirected at all. I Use safari on the iPad mostly, but also chrome on my desktop.

PaceAdvantage
01-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Interesting that I had problems after entering the Paris bombing thread here a week ago. I deleted cookies, never re-entered this thread, and all was well. Went to another website yesterday and entered a Paris bombing thread, and viola, the problem cropped up again. Deleted cookies and all is well again. With that limited sample size, I'm willing to bet that there is a virus of some sort on one of the attachments in those similar threads.So two different paris bombing threads on two different websites ended up redirecting you?

That's interesting...but not surprising...if google ads was being used on both sites and serving up the same ad due to the content of the paris bombing thread.

If someone could tell me the actual ad, I can easily ban it from being shown here by google ads...

tucker6
01-14-2015, 07:12 AM
So two different paris bombing threads on two different websites ended up redirecting you?

YES.

I can't remember all of them (might be three different ads, but one was Good Housekeeping).

Alwaysonpoint36
01-14-2015, 10:05 AM
YES.

I can't remember all of them (might be three different ads, but one was Good Housekeeping).

Definitely Good Housekeeping. The past 3 days i was redirected there while not logged in on my iphone. Browsed again today.....nothing :confused::confused:

Augenj
01-15-2015, 10:04 AM
This may be it -

Google nixes widespread malvertising attack (http://www.infoworld.com/article/2870790/security/google-nixes-widespread-malvertising-attack.html)

FantasticDan
01-15-2015, 10:14 AM
This may be it -
Google nixes widespread malvertising attack (http://www.infoworld.com/article/2870790/security/google-nixes-widespread-malvertising-attack.html)Nice work, that sure sounds like it. Good news.. :ThmbUp:

tucker6
01-15-2015, 10:37 AM
nice. Thank you!!

FantasticDan
01-31-2015, 07:51 PM
FYI - For the last couple days I've been redirected from PA on two different iPads to a domain named admin.appnext.com, which then automatically opens the iTunes App Store to a random app to purchase.

Grits
02-01-2015, 12:48 AM
This has happened on my Ipad, as well. No other site, only here at PA.

PaceAdvantage
02-02-2015, 07:59 AM
The redirects are coming from GOOGLE ADS, not my website. This is a known problem on Google ads...if you went to another site using Google ads and that offending ad came up, you'd be redirected there as well.

I'm trying to identify the offending ad...if anyone has a clue, let me know...

If not, I will just shut off Google Ads until the problem is fixed.

This is a major pain in the ass, and there are lots of people royally pissed at Google for dropping the ball like this...this should not be happening...

It's pretty obvious they don't have any real human beings reviewing the ads that are submitted to their system...

sammy the sage
02-02-2015, 07:57 PM
well the "Asian, Russian, South American ads all seem legit...hope you're making some nice coin of those! ;)

Augenj
02-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Once upon a time I had a greyhound board for adopters and racing people. I installed Google AdSense and waited for the profits to roll in. They used to pay you when you accumulated $100 in ad revenue and every $100 after that.

Just as my total reached $99 and before I got a dime from them, I received an email that my site was guilty of "click fraud" where somebody was clicking too often on my Google ads and therefore it was fraudulent. Whereupon, they shut my piece of the pie down. I could appeal but I had to provide proof in my logs that I didn't have click fraud, not an easy task with thousands of entries and not a clue about which IP address(es) was doing this. They could have told me but they didn't, probably because there WAS no click fraud.

I gave up but years later, a class action lawsuit was filed against Google about refusing Adsense payments but I never heard the outcome. Some of the plaintiffs were due some big bucks but never received anything. Other web sites have never had a problem with them so I suspect a few rogue Google employees were responsible. As for me, no more AdSense.

davew
02-02-2015, 08:51 PM
I end up clicking the ads on the right because they are so close to my scroll bar, not because I want to go there.

As far as what ads are causing this - when it happened to me. I never made it to the site to see the ad (thankfully a few weeks since it happened).

Grits
02-03-2015, 10:18 AM
This occurred again, just now, on my laptop, not my Ipad. Though, this time I was directed to a site saying "this website is offline". I hit the back key, and came back to here.

Problematic... I know you're working on it, PA.

PaceAdvantage
02-04-2015, 02:36 AM
I've just gone through 3 or 4 days worth of posts, and haven't been redirected yet...so hopefully, Google has eliminated the problem ad(s).

Apparently, it seems these ads are taking advantage of a known flaw in Adobe flash...although others claim it is a flaw in Java...

Adobe will be releasing a patch shortly, if they haven't already...

OTM Al
02-04-2015, 09:05 AM
I've just gone through 3 or 4 days worth of posts, and haven't been redirected yet...so hopefully, Google has eliminated the problem ad(s).

Apparently, it seems these ads are taking advantage of a known flaw in Adobe flash...although others claim it is a flaw in Java...

Adobe will be releasing a patch shortly, if they haven't already...

The Adobe makes sense as this started hitting me right after the latest version Adobe Flash 16 Active X was installed.

Augenj
02-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Yet another article on this:

Malicious Advertisements (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2879732/malicious-advertisements-on-major-sites-compromised-many-computers.html)

Tom
02-04-2015, 12:30 PM
I had Flash turned off for a long time, and just updated it.
Then the problems started, and not just here.
It's back off again.

davew
02-07-2015, 10:44 AM
I haven't had any redirects in a few weeks, but the last few days some pages take forever to load or even freeze up.