PDA

View Full Version : Freehold: Thursday, January 8

Teach
01-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Race One:

#1 Gorilla Monsoon gets my nod in the opener. The Cam’s Card Shark-bred gelding draws the pylons after a decent qualifier from an outside starting post. Teamster Steve Smith should have this gelding on or near “the engine”. In this frigid weather, the rail should be a particularly good place to start from. After my top pick, it’s anybody’s guess who can complete an exotic. I’ll mention a few names and numbers. Yet, I must profess I don’t have a great deal of conviction on any of the following: #8 Cyber Attack does have an early turn of foot, but it may take some doing for Dave Pinkney, Jr. to get this gelding near the lead; if, in fact, he does decide to leave at all. #3 Quick Celebration has the most capable Jim Marshall in the bike; he might be a factor. Yet, in his last, after gaining the front end, this gelding faded like a poor dye job. #6 Roadshark Warrior is a 6-year-old first-time starter (I thought I’d seen everything); he might be able to complete a gimmick. He did finish third in a fast qualifier.

Race Two:

#5 Quality Closer looks like the real deal, the genuine article. This nicely-bred gelding - as The Beatles might have said - may be Joe and Barbara Bongiorno’s “Ticket To Ride”. If this 3-year-old can easily make the top, it’s going to take some doing to collar him. This Blissful Hall-bred’s most recent qualifier was impressive. If you’re looking to complete an exotic, I’ll toss out some possibilities: #2 Every Advantage gets a significant driver switch to Eric Abbatiello. I can’t see this nicely-bred 4-year-old gelding staying at the 20-1 morning line. #4 Howaboutakiss is 2nd time Lasix; that helps. The gelding is the sort who’s capable of completing a tri. Oh, one other possibility: #3 Niyama. Admittedly, nothing to write home about, but to complete a gimmick; well, that’s a possibility.

Race Three:

“Smitty’s” got a shot with #7 Lil’ Miss Flight. Let me state unequivocally that although this 4-year-old mare has a shot at getting all the enchiladas, she’s far from a lead-pipe cinch. For one, she been the proverbial bridesmaid throughout her career. Oh, she’s succeeded – on several occasions - in catching the bridal bouquet, but she’s never “taken the veil”. Steve Smith will have to break alertly with this distaffer from her outside starting post. This can become even a more difficult task given the cold and windy weather conditions. If I’m not mistaken, a northerly wind at Freehold helps down the backstretch but not when they leave the starter’s car. Others to consider: #1 Emerald Bling. Kyle’s got the rail and under these harsh racing conditions that’s not a bad place to be. One win in 25 lifetime starts is hardly a ringing endorsement; yet in this field… Also: #3 High Flying. Solid qualifier. And #2 MeetmeinVegas.

Race Four:

#4 Algebra is my pick here. The mare drew outside and still finished third in here last. She now move mid-pack to the four slot. There's a chance Joe Bongiorno will take her to the top. That might not be a bad move under these harsh conditions. Only one win in in 28 starts in 2014 is not particularly reassuring; yet in this field this aged mare has a distinct shot. I also like #3 Endless Desire. She’s hit the tote in her last two. Then, there’s #7 Whirlwind. Eric Abbatiello will have to overcome the outside starting post. Finally, #1 Dream Ball draws the pylons. Might surprise. Should not be overlooked.

Race Five:

#1 No Tears Here draws inside after starting on the outside in in his last and finishing fifth. There’s something to be said, ad nauseum, for having an inside starting post under these conditions. Jim Marshall’s a solid reinsman. His .303 UDR speaks volumes. #2 Tough Love is certainly “a player” “The Harvard Man” (I’m not talkin’ ‘bout “The Crimson”), Pat Berry (He’s originally from Harvard, IL.) is a capable driver. This Blissful Hall-bred gelding should not be overlooked. Then, there’s #3 Commit with Joe Bongiorno. I think this Western Hanover-bred gelding would have preferred an off track (not going to happen). Yet, still might be good enough to complete a gimmick. #7 McSocks will have to overcome the outside starting post; yet at his best, this McArdle-bred gelding might be part of an exotic.

Race Six:

I find this to be one of the tougher races on today’s card to handicap. There are four of five horses that I can make a case for; yet I can’t quite put my finger on the one that I believe will prevail. Well, here goes. The logical is #1 Jim’s Guy with Joe Bongiorno. But this June’s Baby-bred horse has been off for over a month since winning in this company in late November. What’s the horse’s conditioning like? Is he ready? Then there’s #4 Willy Mucha. The Real Artist-bred gelding has competed against better at various tracks but has had very little to show for his efforts. Add to that the chauffering services of Eric Abbatiello. A couple other names I’ll mention that might well be worthy of consideration are: #2 What’s The Story. Normally, this horse wouldn’t make my radar screen; yet give the track and weather conditions and this horse’s starting post I’m reluctant to toss him out of any gimmicks. Finally, this is an off-the-wall, [I]viejo loco pick. Yes, you can say: “Tu sei pazzo!” I’m tempted to toss in Lupara. Yes, #3 Lupara. Has shown nothing and done little in recent tries, but not too long ago this Artsplace-bred gelding was a solid campaigner. He turned in a 1:53.2 at Harrington, DE last year on their half-mile oval. If this horse, just from memory, can reprise anything like that?

Race Seven:

#2 Muscles Yankee is a lightly raced Muscles Princess-bred mare who gets a driver switch to one of the top trotter reinsman campaigning at the Freehold Raceway oval: Jim Marshall. I’ve watched many Freehold races over the years and Jim Marshall handles trotters as well as anybody. Certainly worthy of consideration. Others to consider are: #3 Touch of Charm. Vinny Ginsburg is an ever-improving driver from the Fusco-Ginsberg clan. His horse appears to be the main threat to the top pick. Then, there’s #1 MusclesLikeParty. He draws the pylons and can certainly contend. Should not be ignored in your gimmicks. Finally, #4 Colonel Lovett has been campaigning at Oxon Hill, MD, a.k.a. Rosecroft. Although he’s been away from the pari-mutuel scene for a while, he might just pick up the pieces in an exotic.

Race Eight:

I’m giving my lukewarm, tepid nod to #1 NY Ice. The gelding could do nothing in his last in the slop in the Catskills. Of course, he did start from outside. I’m just hoping that this aged gelding can return to a form from yesteryear (as a 4-year-old he recorded a lifetime mark of 1:52.3 at Pocono Downs). I’m not expecting that; yet, if he can get even mildly close to that kind of mark he would become a contender. Eric Abbatiello returns to the bike for trainer Tony Telymonde. #8 Brent Montana starts from the extreme outside. In his last, he obliterated similar company; only that start was from the number four starting post on a sloppy track. It may take a little more doing from the extreme outside. Pat Berry is certainly capable of getting the job done; the question is will he, or won’t he – leave? #2 Truly My Way is capable of getting part here. Jeff Stafford trains and drives. A solid qualifier signals readiness. Finally, #4 Officer Candidate has turned in some respectable time at Rosecroft. Prior to that at Batavia, this Cam Fella-bred gelding had two wins and a second in the races shown. Might complete an exotic.

Race Nine:

#2 Polished Perfection is my pick here. The mare closed nicely in her last to finish third. Any slight improvement puts this Blissful Hall-bred mare in the winner’s circle. Steve Smith is certainly capable of guiding this Big Towner-bred under the wire first. Others to consider are: #4 Wattaqueen could do little from her outside post in her last; she now starts in the middle of the field. Chris Lems (he campaigns at Vernon Downs) is a capable reinsman. Another distaffer to consider is #6 Simple Twist Of Fate. This American Ideal-bred mare may well be out and going as the gate pulls away. If so, and she can clear, she becomes an immediate factor. Finally, #3 Handsoffmycreampuf had a troubled qualifier in her last; yet if she can stay flat….?

Race Ten:

In the finale, a superfecta race, I’m gonna play a hunch. I don’t usually do this so I’ll let you know where I’m coming from. A couple night’s ago I’m watching one of the history channels when I notice they’re doing a program on “Wild Bill” Hickok, one of the legends of “The Old West”. Anyway, when Hickok was killed, he was playing poker. The last hand of poker he ever played before he was shot dead in Deadwood, Dakota Territory was two pair: Aces and Eights. To this day it’s called “A Dead Man’s Hand”. So, my pick here, without too much conviction, is Eric Abbatiello’s horse, #1 Itsadeadman’shand. I guess the main thing that concerns me was that this horse was winless in thirty tries last year. The horse you’re gonna have to consider is #4 Beau Rivage N. This is a classy veteran pacer who has tons of back class and the services of Jim Marshall. Yet, I can’t quantify this…but something tells me that this gelding will finish second or possibly third. #2 Caviart Spencer might take advantage of his inside starting slot and be part of this last-race super. Also, #3 Fifty-Fifty is capable of picking up the pieces and adding value to your gimmick play.