PDA

View Full Version : track record day at Mahoning Valley

davew
01-06-2015, 02:18 PM
First 4 races all set track records (5F, 6F, 5.5F, 6F)

the record set in the 2nd race at 6 furlongs only lasted 2 races until the 4th.

I wonder how many more today on this 'frozen' track

Appy
01-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Surely you're not insinuating there are biases in play... :D

elhelmete
01-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Isn't it year 1 of racing?

rastajenk
01-06-2015, 03:10 PM
More like Month #2.

rrpic6
01-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Amazing job by the Track Superintendent and Maintenance crew! Monday was brutally cold, wind chills below zero, the actual temperature barely in the teens. Tuesday was even more amazing, as there was two inches of snow overnight and more bitter cold. Tip your hat to the jocks that stayed aboard too. That's the work ethic in this area to a tee.:jump:

RR

EMD4ME
01-06-2015, 06:39 PM
First 4 races all set track records (5F, 6F, 5.5F, 6F)

the record set in the 2nd race at 6 furlongs only lasted 2 races until the 4th.

I wonder how many more today on this 'frozen' track

Or maybe they fixed the incredulously incorrect beams?

Stillriledup
01-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Amazing job by the Track Superintendent and Maintenance crew! Monday was brutally cold, wind chills below zero, the actual temperature barely in the teens. Tuesday was even more amazing, as there was two inches of snow overnight and more bitter cold. Tip your hat to the jocks that stayed aboard too. That's the work ethic in this area to a tee.:jump:

RR

I agree. Kudos to the jocks who rode and the horses as well as the track for running races, the backstretch workers who had to bear the cold to make sure their horses got back to the barn and cooled out and so on. I do appreciate tracks racing thru "conditions" Hats off to everyone, well done.

EMD4ME
01-06-2015, 06:51 PM
I agree. Kudos to the jocks who rode and the horses as well as the track for running races, the backstretch workers who had to bear the cold to make sure their horses got back to the barn and cooled out and so on. I do appreciate tracks racing thru "conditions" Hats off to everyone, well done.

I agree, in an era where the slots driven racetracks cancel at the threat of a drop of rain, that is appreciated.

rrpic6
01-06-2015, 06:59 PM
This was on the local news tonight.
http://wkbn.com/2015/01/06/horses-race-in-snowy-conditions-at-austintown-racino/

RR

tanner12oz
01-06-2015, 08:58 PM
They cancelled for tomorrow

duncan04
01-06-2015, 09:49 PM
They cancelled for tomorrow

Not surprised. Temperatures in single digits and wind chills below zero expected

appistappis
01-06-2015, 11:53 PM
I love the big fields here....if you were on the bias Monday you couldn't help but make money. We had a big day

Ruffian1
01-07-2015, 07:21 AM

RR

Sounds hard to believe but track supers like it when they get 2 inches of snow before or during that bitter blast. It actually acts like a blanket and helps insulate the track and helps it stay workable once it is blown off. It also gives the workers a night off to sleep so they don't have to run the trackers all night long, which I assume they do there, when it's single digits.

They do at most of the eastern tracks on the bad winter nights.
The maintenance crew really works their tails off when the weather is brutal. Hats off to those behind the scenes workers.

cj
01-07-2015, 10:51 AM
I agree, in an era where the slots driven racetracks cancel at the threat of a drop of rain, that is appreciated.

There are some issues for sure, I take times with a grain of salt there.

arw629
01-07-2015, 01:15 PM
I'm pretty sure the comment above about the beams is dead on.....I live in the area and not only was racing cancelled but school was too!