PDA

View Full Version : Preakness Eve

OTM Al
05-10-2004, 02:26 PM
...or Friday the 14th for the unimaginative :)

Pretty interesting card posted up at DRF. Would as soon not have to go to work Friday and watch these (grumble grumble) than go Saturday.

The 8th, BC Distaff looks like some fun with Nonsuch Bay and Smok'n Frolic probably taking a lot of the action.

the 9th and 10th, Ms. Preakness and Black Eyed Susan look like second level competiton, but faily competitive up and down.

Then of course the Pimlico Special. Will give a cheer for Funny, but don't really think he has a shot against these. Might make it up for place if he gets a good trip, but frankly don't see him beating Midway Road or Southern Image. Ole Faunty will likely give him a decent run too and we always have Evening Attire trying to get up for yet another place.

Will be rooting for Smarty the next day, but it looks like a 3 horse race, with Smarty and Lion Heart up and Imperialism closing at the end. Don't even see any decent value in the exotics on that one as I can't see anyone else up there (I really have very little faith in the Cliffs Edge) so all in all just like with the derby, the day before looks a lot better.

Bubbles
05-10-2004, 04:55 PM
I don't see Lion Heart staying on for anything more than 3rd in the Preakness. Him, Water Cannon, maybe Rock Hard Ten, they'll all be going out for the lead early. Smarty'll be stalking those, and going around the turn, LH and WC will tire, leaving Smarty and RHT, with MAYBE Imperialism closing.

OTM Al
05-10-2004, 05:06 PM
My bad. Forgot about ol RHT. Must agree with your analysis. Smarty just doesn't want to be directly behind Water Cannon when he begins his backward drift. The race could become playable if, and only if, the locals just look at Water Cannon's record of late and don't realize he doesn't belong in anything above state bred stakes competition. A few more entries wouldn't hurt either, but I would be surprised if 10 do run saturday.