PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Poker Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

proximity
11-07-2015, 10:17 PM
My early session tonight recouped about 75% of Friday night's losses. Not sure if I am going back for a "late" session upon the conclusion of the live CT races.

???what happened to the charm city caravan??? :confused:

proximity
11-07-2015, 10:46 PM
That final hand would have gone differently in no limit.

yes, in my game if wooderson saw the flop, he wouldn't have made it to the turn. he'd still have high school girls and redheads though. :)

proximity
11-10-2015, 02:06 AM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=48232761&postcount=1692

really?

a seven stars member?

the host didn't intervene????? :confused:

now someone has stolen this guy's diamond card (thought he was 7*s?) and drained his comps for three free meals?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=48581438&postcount=1811

and another poster even confirms that horseshoe rarely checks ids for points transactions? uhhh? that's news to me as they've checked my id easily 95% of the time and 100% at a restaurant.

do you know this guy whizz?? he has even worse luck than I do. :confused:

proximity
11-16-2015, 01:23 AM
haven't been playing a lot lately primarily due to an electrical problem with my car. the battery barely made it back from the last atlantic city trip and I replaced that but the car kept getting worse. it made it back from Charles town last week but the next night a surge knocked out both headlights following a small 1-2 nl win at the racino.

so far i'm 0-2 in attempts to get it fixed and this week i'm betting on the local dealership.

on the felt things aren't much better as I dropped 198 in a 1-2 session at pen. only won about ten hands in the game and couldn't hit a single flush or straight. once with an ace high draw and a pair my own "bet the turn" (see dilane thread) backfired on me as I got check raised by over $125 and ended up folding. other than that it would always be one high card and one low card. most decent hands I got were always in early position.

the loss put me down 470 for the year although I've gotten $560 of bonus money from bad beats and hot seat drawings. still though my goal is to win thousands of dollars in a year and it looks like i'm going to fail again. ahead only $441 in game winnings since the start of last year's thread, hundreds a year is seeming more like my reality.

game -198 (1/2 nl)
year -470 (35-32)

ManU918
11-19-2015, 04:51 PM
From the looks of yesterdays vote and everything I've been reading it seems as if internet poker will be available in Pennsylvania within a few months.

proximity
11-22-2015, 02:10 AM
haven't been playing a lot lately primarily due to an electrical problem with my car.....
so far i'm 0-2 in attempts to get it fixed and this week i'm betting on the local dealership.

after two failed attempts to get my car fixed i'm pleased to announce that the local dealership came through and i'm back on the road again.

for this week's action I pointed the car towards horseshoe Baltimore and this was no random decision as $65 of promotional chips, 2000 reward credits ($20), high hourly comps, and $75 of macy's gift cards were waiting for me when I arrived.

horseshoe DESTROYS my local racino (penn national); an embarrassment that doesn't even have paper towels in the bathrooms let alone poker comps.

i arrive at horseshoe around 3:00 face a short wait until i can get a seat at 3/6 hold 'em. when i do get a seat I come in guns a blazin' and raizin' 77 like i'm dilawdudesp or roy cooke or one of the west coast greats. sevens are good and for once we're off to a positive start.

it's short lived though.

KJ and AK both flop top two and lose. AA loses. QQ loses. TT loses. 99 loses. and around 7:00 when I lose with KJ again, i'm down almost $130.

but then JT suited flops trips and I go on a short handed run, cutting my deficit to under $60 by 8:00 when 56 suited flops a flush draw from the big blind.

the flop checks around and in addition to my flush draw I pick up an open ended straight draw on the turn. I check but face a bet and a raise when the action comes back around to me. I actually take some time to call here, a fact that a well dressed player at the table doesn't appreciate when I eventually river the winning flush. when you consider the rake, bad beat, dealer tip, extra losses on the river if my flush wasn't good..... i didn't think this particular hand was as clear cut as he was trumpeting.... but i didn't say anything in "defense" instead choosing to let our results do the talking.

and tonight the results would speak loud and clear as JJ put me up $48 before KQ finished the job as my fast playing friend was heading for Russell street.

great benefits at horseshoe and a winning game.

it was good to be on the road again.

game +68 (3/6)
year -402 (36-32)

proximity
11-23-2015, 12:52 AM
back at the beautiful horseshoe Baltimore for another exciting session of 3/6 limit hold em !!

being the good sport that I am I help open the table short handed and as usual my good deed fails to go unpunished as I quickly fall behind.

i'm again flopping some excellent hands for short handed play but one player who we'll call yokozuna hangs in several times to go runner-runner on me.

proximity: AK
yokozuna: Q3

flop: A65
turn: 2
river: 4

rinse and repeat.

sometimes you have to wonder how long these players can last and today I note that it takes yokozuna about three hours to tap his initial buy in.

five minutes after yz's rebuy I strike with quads to move ahead $2 and manage to stay around even for the next several hours while it takes another two hours before yokozuna completely cracks, starts straddling every hand, and eventually taps.

finally around 7:40 I go on a run with QQ dragging two pots for me within ten minutes to put me up nearly $100.

meanwhile at the high stakes table behind ours I notice the presence of cuserounder who is the author of my favorite 2+2 dot com "poker goals and challenges" thread:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/174/poker-goals-challenges/2014-i-aint-trying-survive-im-trying-live-no-limit-1406092/

like my 2014 proximity poker tour thread here at pa, this kid started last year too but has really done well. one of my favorite poker threads to follow.

back at our low stakes table I eventually move ahead over $100 when I flop two pair with AJ and turn a full house.

shortly after 10:00 though some mouth breather comes in and delays the game by requesting a wash and I go completely card dead. the game is moving slower than a fat three legged turtle crawling up a mountain.... backwards. almost falling asleep between hands, I get up to go downstairs and get a five hour energy at the gift shop. (yes, they check my id) :rolleyes: the big blind's only two hands away from me but the game's moving so sloooooooowly that I still don't miss it.

eventually with the clock approaching 1:00 am I can take no more and look down at one final hand: KK.

I raise. Lucifer calls with A5 off.

flop: T84
river:3

cowboys are easy to raise...
but they're harder to fold.
they'd rather give you a bad beat than diamonds or gold.....

game +13 (3/6)
year -389 (37-32)

tucker6
11-23-2015, 06:49 AM
eventually with the clock approaching 1:00 am I can take no more and look down at one final hand: KK.

I raise. Lucifer calls with A5 off.

flop: T84
river:3

How did you bet this hand?

proximity
11-23-2015, 04:30 PM

i'm utg (it's my last hand) and raise pre. every other street i bet.

how are you tucker? any recent games?

Track Collector
11-26-2015, 12:58 AM
meanwhile at the high stakes table behind ours I notice the presence of cuserounder who is the author of my favorite 2+2 dot com "poker goals and challenges" thread:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/174/poker-goals-challenges/2014-i-aint-trying-survive-im-trying-live-no-limit-1406092/

like my 2014 proximity poker tour thread here at pa, this kid started last year too but has really done well. one of my favorite poker threads to follow.

Do you realize the trouble you are causing by showing this link to people like me? I'm now on page 28, but there are currently 234 pages in this thread! :faint:

If I read something like 6 pages a day, I'll be up-to-date by the end of the year. :ThmbUp: :D

ManU918
11-26-2015, 01:14 AM
Unfortunately I have to go to her Moms house tomorrow for Thanksgiving so for the first time in my life on Thanksgiving eve I decided not to go out and get shitfaced. Instead I went to Chester to play in their Wednesday night PLO tournament and shipped it. Only a $40 buy-in...I walked with just under $600. That's good for just about two bullets in next weeks opening Parx Big Stax event ($330).

This is only like the third PLO tournament I've ever played in. It's a sick game. The best PLO cash players in the world must make sick amounts of money. The swings in the game make NLH look like a joke. Twice tonight someone rivered quads on me when I turned the nut full house.

proximity
11-26-2015, 01:24 AM
Do you realize the trouble you are causing by showing this link to people like me? I'm now on page 28, but there are currently 234 pages in this thread! :faint:

idle hands are the devil's plaything.

stay busy my friend. :)

proximity
11-26-2015, 01:44 AM
Unfortunately I have to go to her Moms house tomorrow for Thanksgiving ......

they're watching the eagles, right?

ManU918
11-26-2015, 05:27 AM
they're watching the eagles, right?

Oh yea. Well no but I will be. I go because I know if I have complete control of the tv. She made me promise her since I haven't been there in 6 months that I would make an appearance either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday because her brother is coming down from Boston with his wife and niece (2 year old niece "has been asking for me since April"). She (the 2yo) is the only one in the family I like. Last time I was there we bonded while watching Daniel Tigers Neighborhood, which beats the shit out of listening about what Fox News had to say earlier in the day. After 8 years they (her family) know what to expect. I walk in say hi and go right to the tv. Her family knows/has as much interest in sports as I do in ballet. It's ****ing horrible. Still after 8 years the thought of going to her parents house drives me up a ****ing wall. When I get to the corner of her parents house I get the same feeling I did when I was walking into 7th grade (Sister Nancy's classroom). A talk ugly nun who looked like Mr. Ed and was the meanest bitch on earth. **** my life.

proximity
11-27-2015, 01:19 AM
Oh yea. Well no but I will be. I go because I know if I have complete control of the tv. She made me promise her since I haven't been there in 6 months that I would make an appearance either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday because her brother is coming down from Boston with his wife and niece (2 year old niece "has been asking for me since April"). She (the 2yo) is the only one in the family I like. Last time I was there we bonded while watching Daniel Tigers Neighborhood, which beats the shit out of listening about what Fox News had to say earlier in the day. After 8 years they (her family) know what to expect. I walk in say hi and go right to the tv. Her family knows/has as much interest in sports as I do in ballet. It's ****ing horrible. Still after 8 years the thought of going to her parents house drives me up a ****ing wall. When I get to the corner of her parents house I get the same feeling I did when I was walking into 7th grade (Sister Nancy's classroom). A talk ugly nun who looked like Mr. Ed and was the meanest bitch on earth. **** my life.

damn....

ManU918
11-27-2015, 04:29 AM
damn....

You playing anywhere this weekend?

proximity
11-27-2015, 06:04 PM
You playing anywhere this weekend?

tonight: driving knish's truck.

tomorrow: morning power nap and hopefully horseshoe Baltimore. maybe sands or pen though.

sunday: colts vs bucs.

thaskalos
11-28-2015, 01:32 AM

tomorrow: morning power nap and hopefully horseshoe Baltimore. maybe sands or pen though.

I hope your money is on the bucks.

ManU918
11-28-2015, 04:12 AM

After watching the Jameis Winston Hunting Ground segment I hope someone ends his career and the Colts win by 50.

proximity
11-29-2015, 07:10 PM

after a massive $5 no limit win on thanksgiving at pen I end up going to the sands for my weekend game and that (as usual) turned out to be a big mistake.

was pretty card dead for the first five hours before a flush from the bb finally got me back to even around 7:00.

the next hour was an absolute disaster.

I raised and lost with AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 88, KQ, and finally AQs gets rivered as the clock strikes 8:00.

eventually I do win with TT, pick off a heads up bluff attempt with QQ following an ace high flop, and i'm within $60 of even when (again heads up) I flop a set with AA.

but the villain hangs in with T8 off to river a straight and after losses with QQ and AQs I decide to throw in the towel and use my remaining sands comps on an orange chicken wok.

plenty of donkeys at the sands but I can't beat them. $107 loss drops my record to 3-5 and -$725 at the sands since the start of 2014's proximity poker tour thread. and probably ends any hopes for a profitable 2015. :(

game -107 (3/6)
year -491 (38-33)

dilanesp
11-30-2015, 12:22 PM

Take your choice:

Bet-3-bet flop
Bet-call turn (and x/call river if you were raised)
Bet-call river

Or:

Bet-call flop (and x/raise the turn if you were raised)
Bet-call turn (and x/call river if you were raised)
Bet-call river

Those are basically the only two correct plays in a limit game. You do not fold KK on that board.

proximity
12-07-2015, 04:08 AM
when you lose money with kk, you're going to struggle for the year.

i'm losing almost every game with kk and down $491, i'm struggling for the year.

still a month to go though and started my comeback attempt with two games at horseshoe Baltimore and a game at penn national.

THURS (horseshoe)

arrived later than usual at horseshoe and didn't start playing until 8:45 and it wasn't until 12:05 that I won a hand outside of the blinds. until that point I had played only ten hands with nine losses and a chop.

by 12:30 however I managed to win two more pots and sneak to within nine dollars of even and shortly after 1:00 I river aces full of kings to hit a high hand that eventually held up and would push my net (after tips) bonus total to $1010 for 2015!!

$61 game profit for the session.

FRIDAY (horseshoe)

i'm ahead early in this one and I four bet KK when a guy to my right three bets with 84 suited. of course the kings get cracked though when an eight hits the flop and a four comes on the turn. ten minutes later I fold 84 suited face up. (yes, I know I have all kinds of issues) :rolleyes:

hours later the table actually breaks and at the new table i'm in a total god seat just to chairs to the left of AUNT HORTENSE!!

this is great except for the fact that i'm totally card dead for hours until I get KK against aunt Hortense's 76 off. seven on the flop and of course running sixes on the turn and river. :bang:

finally it's after 4:00 am and I raise KK again and a villain calls two cold with A4 off. safe flop but of course she hangs around to turn the ace. $217 loss in one of the worst games of my horseshoe career. :bang:

SATURDAY (penn national)

get off to a fast start with four queens but take some tough losses short handed late. hang on for another single digit "win" at penn national. ($3)

year -644 (40-34)
ytd net
bonus $ $1,010

proximity
12-07-2015, 04:21 AM

i'm losing almost every game with kk and down $491, i'm struggling for the year.

still a month to go though and started my comeback attempt with two games at horseshoe Baltimore and a game at penn national.

THURS (horseshoe)

arrived later than usual at horseshoe and didn't start playing until 8:45 and it wasn't until 12:05 that I won a hand outside of the blinds. until that point I had played only ten hands with nine losses and a chop.

by 12:30 however I managed to win two more pots and sneak to within nine dollars of even and shortly after 1:00 I river aces full of kings to hit a high hand that eventually held up and would push my net (after tips) bonus total to $1010 for 2015!!

FRIDAY (horseshoe)

i'm ahead early in this one and I four bet KK when a guy to my right three bets with 84 suited. of course the kings get cracked though when an eight hits the flop and a four comes on the turn. ten minutes later I fold 84 suited face up. (yes, I know I have all kinds of issues) :rolleyes:

hours later the table actually breaks and at the new table i'm in a total god seat just to chairs to the left of AUNT HORTENSE!!

this is great except for the fact that i'm totally card dead for hours until I get KK against aunt Hortense's 76 off. seven on the flop and of course running sixes on the turn and river. :bang:

finally it's after 4:00 am and I raise KK again and a villain calls two cold with A4 off. safe flop but of course she hangs around to turn the ace. $217 loss in one of the worst games of my horseshoe career. :bang:

SATURDAY (penn national)

get off to a fast start with four queens but take some tough losses short handed late. hang on for another single digit "win" at penn national. ($3)

year -644 (40-34)
ytd net
bonus $ $1,010

proximity
12-07-2015, 04:23 AM

THURS (horseshoe)

FRIDAY (horseshoe)

SATURDAY (penn national)

year -644 (40-34)
ytd net
bonus $ $1,010

proximity
12-07-2015, 04:33 AM

THURS (horseshoe)

FRIDAY (horseshoe)

SATURDAY (penn national)

year -644 (40-34)
ytd net
bonus $ $1,010

Rookies
12-07-2015, 07:35 AM
Uhhhh... Proximity, I think we got that you were getting bushwhacked on Cowboys, the first time- sir. ;)

proximity
12-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Uhhhh... Proximity, I think we got that you were getting bushwhacked on Cowboys, the first time- sir. ;)

sorry, still getting used to this windows 10. :)

how are you doing rookies? going to fla again this winter??

Rookies
12-07-2015, 07:21 PM
sorry, still getting used to this windows 10. :)

how are you doing rookies? going to fla again this winter??

Mandatory, yearly check off! :ThmbUp:

In February.

BTW, really liked that other posting blog. Player seems really sharp about every situation and number and he is going all out to make a living at the game. :jump:

dilanesp
12-09-2015, 03:24 PM

In my online database, there was a stretch where I lost 12 out of 14 times in limit with pocket kings (overall, they won 71 percent of the time).

The variance in limit is astounding.

proximity
12-09-2015, 07:58 PM
it's been a tough year but i'm not quitting on 2015 yet and really can't as horseshoe is giving me gift cards every week (basically buying Christmas presents for my family) and since back around thanksgiving i'm also getting a 20% bonus applied to 2016 on all tier credits earned for the rest of the year.

so that will give me somewhat of a head start on 2016 but unfortunately the extra tier credits aren't really helping for 2015 since I won't make it to diamond aspirations 1 level due to all the time I missed when I was sick and didn't have full confidence in my car.

for 2016 i'm going to keep grinding with a goal to play at the shoe whenever possible. in addition to 3/6 i'm also going to start playing some 1/3 there so I can arrive earlier and have some longer sessions.

proximity
12-10-2015, 05:14 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/199/poker-venues/horseshoe-baltimore-baltimore-md-faq-op-added-2014-09-09-a-1469944/index126.html

sometimes I think of getting an account "across the street at that other site" as our esteemed colleagues manu and charmcity refer to it but for here and now I only post here at p.a..

now i'm not saying things are perfect here. but here in poker I will always post the TRUTH..... good or bad.

and the truth is that while hs balt may allow this vaping stuff in the poker room, it isn't really a factor at all. PERIOD. in fact I don't recall ever playing with a player "vaping" at the table. I may have spotted one or two doing this at other tables.....in ALL MY TIME THERE.

and btw I paid special attention on my last trip and my id was checked EVERY SINGLE TIME 100% whenever I redeemed any of the comp points that I've earned.

so don't believe the lies and misrepresentations about horseshoe on other sites. we may not always win here in the paceadvantage poker forum but we will always tell the truth.

end of rant....

proximity
12-12-2015, 06:06 PM
my next visit to horseshoe baltimore is going well.

we're two hours in and i'm threatening to move ahead $100 when suddenly out of the corner of my eye i spot two kids VAPING at a vacant table while waiting to enter a game. :faint:

and that isn't all.

they both have racks of white chips.

now that isn't how i buy in but it does indicate that these "vapers" are waiting for 3/6 limit..... and they are.

and naturally as luck would have it they both enter my game. :rolleyes:

the floor is scrambling to get these two new shooters players cards as they take their seats with their stacks of whites and deluxe power vapers. it's quite possibly their first ever visit to a live casino and the circumstances are so improbable that i come up with a conspiracy theory that they've been sent to vape on me by live! casino. ;)

between the two of them though they probably only fire off about a combined five vapes during the game. the vapes go high into the air and just kinda float across the room. overall, i just don't see the big deal? especially when a casino comps the way horseshoe does.

in the end though my horseshoe streak of vaping-less play is broken. :faint:

on the felt i suffer a tough loss with QQ and go 0-1 with KK but hold on for a $42 win.

better than usual but not nearly good enough to rally back into contention. indeed, plans for a winning 2015 could soon be..... up in smoke.

game +42 (3/6)
year -602 (41-34)

ManU918
12-13-2015, 05:26 PM
sometimes I think of getting an account "across the street at that other site" as our esteemed colleagues manu and charmcity refer to it but for here and now I only post here at p.a..

My suggestion would be to begin posting over there. You're a poker player and can learn a lot from interacting with posters there. A lot of sharp people who can walk the walk not full of posters who just talk the talk. Sure there are some bad seeds like every forum has but for the most part its a good spot. The other thing that they offer is something called a moderator. Are there trolls across the street? Yes... BUT trolling or multi-accounting will get you suspended/banned. Here either the brass are multi-accounting as the trolls or they just don't care about the quality of the forum. I've never seen a forum in my life have no one outside of the owner holding people accountable for ridiculousness then here. Imagine if Mason Malmuth was the only moderator at 2+2... It would be a nightmare.

proximity
12-14-2015, 12:15 AM
My suggestion would be to begin posting over there. You're a poker player and can learn a lot from interacting with posters there. A lot of sharp people who can walk the walk not full of posters who just talk the talk. Sure there are some bad seeds like every forum has but for the most part its a good spot. The other thing that they offer is something called a moderator. Are there trolls across the street? Yes... BUT trolling or multi-accounting will get you suspended/banned. Here either the brass are multi-accounting as the trolls or they just don't care about the quality of the forum. I've never seen a forum in my life have no one outside of the owner holding people accountable for ridiculousness then here. Imagine if Mason Malmuth was the only moderator at 2+2... It would be a nightmare.

you have to admit that we do learn a lot here.

hell, this week alone just in sports we learned that bill belichick isn't that good of a coach but that he's better than tony dungy (a complete moron) and also that horses in the jungle can fly!! :jump:

ManU918
12-14-2015, 08:16 AM
you have to admit that we do learn a lot here.

hell, this week alone just in sports we learned that bill belichick isn't that good of a coach but that he's better than tony dungy (a complete moron) and also that horses in the jungle can fly!! :jump:

This is true. Also, lets not forget that we have an MLB scout (supposedly) who is an active poster (multiple accounts) who made $160,000 last month alone but is playing in the Riderup tournament where 1st place is $200. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

PaceAdvantage
12-14-2015, 03:41 PM
My suggestion would be to begin posting over there. You're a poker player and can learn a lot from interacting with posters there. A lot of sharp people who can walk the walk not full of posters who just talk the talk. Sure there are some bad seeds like every forum has but for the most part its a good spot. The other thing that they offer is something called a moderator. Are there trolls across the street? Yes... BUT trolling or multi-accounting will get you suspended/banned. Here either the brass are multi-accounting as the trolls or they just don't care about the quality of the forum. I've never seen a forum in my life have no one outside of the owner holding people accountable for ridiculousness then here. Imagine if Mason Malmuth was the only moderator at 2+2... It would be a nightmare.What the hell are you talking about? I'm not the only moderator here. PLENTY of posts are deleted by someone OTHER than me.

I VET each and every new registration here. I've taken out a plethora of muti-account attempts at registration. You really don't know what you're talking about.

Have I ALLOWED people back who have been banned before? Yes I have, but it happens very rarely.

Are you that pissed that I haven't made you a moderator yet? You do realize moderators have no power to ban anyone. Only I get that privilege. I certainly take advice from others and act on it. But there is only one person who actually pushes that button.

PaceAdvantage
12-14-2015, 03:42 PM
This is true. Also, lets not forget that we have an MLB scout (supposedly) who is an active poster (multiple accounts) who made $160,000 last month alone but is playing in the Riderup tournament where 1st place is $200. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:So you know for a fact he's not a scout? If you can show that to me, I will ban him in a heartbeat.

Way to take this thread off topic by the way...and you want to be my latex salesman?

proximity
12-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Way to take this thread off topic by the way...and you want to be my latex salesman?

manu would be a good mod in sports.

the topic here (me losing with kings every game) was getting depressing, so i kinda appreciated the detour. :)

hopefully i win this week to at least make the thread's stretch run interesting!!

ManU918
12-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Are you that pissed that I haven't made you a moderator yet? You do realize moderators have no power to ban anyone. Only I get that privilege. I certainly take advice from others and act on it. But there is only one person who actually pushes that button.

I could careless about having the capability of banning a poster. I offered to be a moderator because it seems that you come and go in spurts. Whereas when I'm playing poker, watching horses, etc I always have my iPhone, iPad or laptop open browsing around and it would be no sweat to keep an eye on things. Clearly you think things are copacetic.

PaceAdvantage
12-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Well let me offer the olive branch of peace and make sure this doesn't get too out of hand. I just wanted to clear up the misconception that I am the only moderator on here. cj is a moderator here and is around often enough.

I could always use extra help around here of course, and no I don't think things are copacetic. I appreciate you offering to help and I will probably take you up on your offer, if you're still interested.

ManU918
12-15-2015, 04:57 PM
So you know for a fact he's not a scout? If you can show that to me, I will ban him in a heartbeat.

Come on Mike...Shouldn't it be the opposite? Why should I have to prove anything? I'm not the one claiming to be a scout that made $160,000 in November (Most scouts don't make half of that amount in a season let alone a month). If I were a scout and was going to talk about it on a public forum then I would identify myself. Similar to how CJ puts himself out there. CJ doesn't post here just claiming to be someone in the industry who creates figures. People know who he is, where he works, etc.

I didn't take the thread off topic. Go back and read my post. I was giving Proximity advice. If he's trying to get better at poker then he should communicate with poker players. Just as if a horse player is trying to improve his/her game they should come here and absorb information from the people who know what they are talking about.

ManU918
12-15-2015, 05:14 PM
Well let me offer the olive branch of peace and make sure this doesn't get too out of hand. I just wanted to clear up the misconception that I am the only moderator on here. cj is a moderator here and is around often enough.

I could always use extra help around here of course, and no I don't think things are copacetic. I appreciate you offering to help and I will probably take you up on your offer, if you're still interested.

I know CJ is a moderator and he is definitely someone who I have a lot of respect for (see my previous post).

I'd be happy to help in anyway that I can. I just don't want this place turning into a troll hangout. Let's see how many of these trolls show up to the next meetup you have (If you ever have one at Toga again).

Rookies
12-16-2015, 10:39 AM
I just don't want this place turning into a troll hangout. Let's see how many of these trolls show up to the next meetup you have (If you ever have one at Toga again).

Maybe my memory is failing, but I have enjoyed Proximity's TWO Poker threads (even though I don't play Hold 'Em... but learn here and other places) and I simply don't recall hardly any trolling- here.

And I have showed up every year for the past 5 at the tents at the Spa, whether or not an event was official, or not. Others do or don't, depending on their own life choices, I presume.

ManU918
12-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Maybe my memory is failing, but I have enjoyed Proximity's TWO Poker threads (even though I don't play Hold 'Em... but learn here and other places) and I simply don't recall hardly any trolling- here.

And I have showed up every year for the past 5 at the tents at the Spa, whether or not an event was official, or not. Others do or don't, depending on their own life choices, I presume.

I never said trolling took place in either of Proximity's threads.

Correct... But the point I'm trying to make is if there was a PA meetup 10 feet away from where some of the posters live on this forum they still wouldn't show their face.

proximity
12-17-2015, 04:53 PM
luckily the main troll here doesn't seem to be much of a poker fan. :)

proximity
12-19-2015, 08:53 PM
wells we are in deep stretch in our race for 2015 poker glory and at -$602 for the season things are looking a bit bleak.

but it wasn't over when the germans bombed pearl harbor and it ain't over now.

there's still some games to be played and for this week's action we find ourselves back in the familiar confines of horseshoe baltimore.

in a welcome break we would start strong.

KK sees a flop of J84 with two clubs and two callers to the turn.

turn: J.

not the best card but i toss out another bet and again both villains call.

river: 2 c.

i plan to check and call here (dilane?) but the hand checks around and KK is good! :faint:

anyhow i wouldn't get kings again in the nearly 12 hour session but overall i ran relatively well..... with one hiccup.

a few hours in one player was dealt into the game ON THE BUTTON and i kinda stopped the dealer but (greedily) looking down at AJ told him to "just let it go." (we were the only ones who noticed/knew)

you know the rest.

ace high flop but (of course) a smaller ace picks up two pair on the turn before the dealt button player (with QQ :rolleyes: ) rivers a third queen to win the pot. :bang: :bang:

afterwards i'm shaking my head (and rolling my eyes) about the hand in bemused frustration and the ace with two pair picks up that QQ shouldn't have been dealt in but some other players at the table insist that you can be dealt in on the button and the button says that he can post** to enter the game on the button (why would you do this even if you could since you can get in for free at horseshoe when the button passes? lol)

sigh....

anyhow i even text the best dealer in maryland who says "noooooooooooo"
and later that "can't enter game on button. that's a no no."

but i don't go to horseshoe to argue with other players so i just let it go and return my focus to the reason that i do go to horseshoe..... TO WIN.

and outside of several losses with 99 i am winning and holding steady when i'm not.

it's getting late and i have to get back to p.a. (and p.a :) ) but i'm flirting with my best game of the year and the game is good.

the sheriff and the mayor (see prior reports) is getting drunk two beers at a time and raising with atc (any two cards). the player on my left is getting pounded with ridiculous bad beats but a deaf player two seats to his left continues to straddle his big blind (and ONLY my neighbor's big blind... no other hands) every orbit!!

yes, the guy straddles second to act pre-flop and only second to act pre-flop every orbit!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

there's a strong player on my right but overall it's donkey city.

i miss two flush draws and an open ended straight draw in my quest for a new (2015) top but eventually i pick up AK in one of the aforementioned straddled pots and drag the pot when an ace flops and half (+) the table fails to improve.

A2 suited flops two pair and rivers an ace.

with a $750 bad beat let my river bet get raised PLEASE!!

but AAA22 is good and we'll have to settle for a $276 win and our best game of the year.

bummer.

game +276 (3/6 lim)
year -326 (42-34)

** must be nice to have the option to be able to "post" after looking down at QQ. :rolleyes:

ReplayRandall
12-19-2015, 09:33 PM
but it wasn't over when the germans bombed pearl harbor and it ain't over now.

Congrats on your nice win......You have a Yogi Berra sense of humor when it comes to history.... :lol:

proximity
12-19-2015, 10:15 PM
Congrats on your nice win......You have a Yogi Berra sense of humor when it comes to history.... :lol:

thought our esteemed colleague delta lover might appreciate the reference. ;)

proximity
12-20-2015, 01:01 AM
game +276 (3/6 lim)
year -326 (42-34)

it's been a tough campaign but with this win I actually pull back ahead for 2015 in limit hold 'em.

2015 stats:

limit +33 (34-27)
no limit -359 (8-7)

not sure what i'm going to do for the few games I have left in 2015?

my original plan was to go to ac on the 30th and 31st and possibly play in the 10-20 limit @ borgata like i'm always talking about but part of me just wants to "book a win" in limit and at least be able to ride the momentum of back to back winning years (in limit) into 2016, if that makes any sense?

another main option is to stay home and try to grind out some no limit wins on the 30th and 31st to make a run at a winning no limit (and overall) year as well. this option would allow me to be fresh to attack horseshoe on new year's day.

for 2016 I have a goal to play at horseshoe as much as possible and make diamond aspirations 1 (40,000 tier credits) in total rewards!!

dilanesp
12-25-2015, 08:53 PM
Prox, you sure there's no 8/16 (or even 4/8) you can play in 2016? 3/6 is a raketrap, even if you play reasonably well.

proximity
12-25-2015, 11:24 PM
Prox, you sure there's no 8/16 (or even 4/8) you can play in 2016? 3/6 is a raketrap, even if you play reasonably well.

i could play 4/8 consistently at maryland live! which does rake $1 less and is only a slightly longer drive than horseshoe. however i do prefer 3/6 at horseshoe for several reasons, the most important being the higher and more flexible comps. (there is only so much food i can eat at maryland live!) the jackpots are also easier to hit at horseshoe (so you have a better chance of getting some of your rake back) and they also aggressively reward tier caesar's total rewards tier credits so i can make diamond and have legitimate shots at aspirations 1 and possibly 2. as a diamond member there i am also getting table play there every week (sometimes multiple times) and frequent gifts. in recent weeks i got $75 of gift cards a week for either best buy or macy's which was a BIG help in my holiday shopping. i also prefer the look, feel, and atmosphere of horseshoe's poker room and casino.

generally casinos in this region struggle to consistently field any bigger limit games. parx is over two hours on the turnpike ($) and atlantic city is three hours (perfectly timed through philly at midnight) but you can find bigger games there.

i believe borgata will "tier match" my caesar's diamond card with their black card (?) and that is one option for 2016. i'll definitely try 10/20 there sometime but it's just too far to be a consistent game for me.

anyhow, hope i'm not boring the forum with all the 3/6 reports and best of luck to everyone here in both poker and ponies for 2016!!

proximity

proximity
12-25-2015, 11:54 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1752421&postcount=648

it's a year later and i would like to thank paceadvantage members RED KNAVE and CHARM CITY WHIZZ who strongly encouraged me to pursue total rewards diamond status in the waning days of 2014.

the pain was temporary (twas but a scratch ;) ) but the pride of diamond is forever!! :)

Red Knave
12-27-2015, 09:23 AM
anyhow, hope i'm not boring the forum with all the 3/6 reportsJust the opposite.

I was in Vegas for 2 weeks at the end of Oct/early Nov and all I do is play lower level hold-em tournaments (i.e. $60 +/- entry fee). I thought about you every time my AAs and KKs got cracked, King flushes lost to Ace flushes and flopped straights lost to rivered boats. "If it wasn't for bad luck ..."
Anyway, I hope to read more of your journey in the pages of PA in the future.
Best of the Season and have a terrific 2016.

Rookies
12-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Proximity, never asked you this before, so I don't know whether you've answered the following question. Since you are scrupulously up to date on posting your record, enquiring minds want to know, how do you survive- since you haven't become a sudden millionaire on your relative, up & down, Hold 'em success?

Most of us, unless we were independently wealthy, would have to work, at least sometime on the side. Perhaps you do, but I haven't seen much mention of it.

And again, good luck going forward! :ThmbUp: This thread is a delight. ;)

Red Knave
12-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Most of us, unless we were independently wealthy, would have to work, at least sometime on the side. Perhaps you do, but I haven't seen much mention of it.
He's mentioned driving Knish's (http://www.pokernews.com/news/2009/10/pokernews-op-ed-the-philosophy-of-knish-7442.htm)truck several times. ;)

And again, good luck going forward! :ThmbUp: This thread is a delight. ;)Double ditto.

proximity
12-28-2015, 11:12 PM
i do have a job where i usually put in 38-46 hours a week but since the position is a long way from being commensurate with my background it is kind of a source of personal shame and the topic is generally best avoided on the internet where everyone else is a "winner."

so in many, many ways i am a loser and a failure but DO NOT feel bad for me because (albeit only recently) i have reached a point where i actually ENJOY my life and feel positive about the future. :)

ManU918
12-29-2015, 03:49 AM
i do have a job where i usually put in 38-46 hours a week but since the position is a long way from being commensurate with my background it is kind of a source of personal shame and the topic is generally best avoided on the internet where everyone else is a "winner."

so in many, many ways i am a loser and a failure but DO NOT feel bad for me because (albeit only recently) i have reached a point where i actually ENJOY my life and feel positive about the future. :)

That's because very few people on the internet are honest about their life. You are. Unfortunately in business a lot of times it comes down to who you and not what you know. Hopefully in 2016 you'll hit a BBJ and can give knish the keys to his truck back.

Also... Anyone who determines someone a winner/loser because of the persons job is a piece of shit.

proximity
12-29-2015, 06:40 AM
hopefully i do hit a bbj (or at least for once get a room share in ac, lol) in 2016 but i probably wouldn't quit my job as MOST days i actually don't mind going to work.

ironically TONIGHT did have the potential to be one of those rare nights where i didn't want to work (was going to take off early for a.c.) but they really need me there and i don't have to be back until monday......so a.c. is out but after tonight i do hope to find the energy to get in five straight days of poker!! :)

proximity
12-31-2015, 01:06 AM
wells it hasn't been the best year for this corner but there are still two days left to erase our $326 deficit and rejoin the exclusive world of poker winners.

we'll finish out the campaign with some 1-2 no limit games at america's favorite juice pit: penn national.

now aside from being an historic breeding ground for juice trainers penn national is also famous for its high poker rake, ridiculously high racing takeouts, and insultingly embarrassing comps for games requiring any skill.

if you're a real gambler there ain't much good to say about the place.

the bathrooms don't even have paper towels. :bang:

however, they did unveil the makeover of the center "hollywood on the roof" section of the casino and for that i will give them credit for a job well done!!

back in the poker room we start off with KK getting checkraised all-in by AK following a flop of all low cards. incredibly there's no ace on the turn or river and we're off to a positive start!!

later, with the whole table in the hand, i limp in too with 97 off from the button. both the 5-4-x flop and 8 turn get checked around and i river a miracle 6 for the nuts.

however (probably from playing too much limit this year) i just call (looking for non 7 overcalls) when only a loose player just to my right is the only one who bets here. but one of the players who checked also just calls with a seven and the loose player did have a seven too...... so i lost money since both players would've called my min raise. :bang:

in my "defense" i thought for sure any 7 would bet out at this pot after the tepidly played flop and river and i didn't absolutely put the bettor on a seven either. an early position 7 could've check-raised too which would've allowed me to reraise and collect on the crying call(s). i do think my mistake was (despite the bettor's range) expecting overcalls from too many non seven hands given my own range and the combined probability that at least one of us had a seven.

moving on, it wouldn't have mattered as i would've actually lost the money anyway in another limped pot where i overlimped early with AQ off.

flop: AAK.

i bet $5 here and get raised by a late position player but i HAVE to be good here 100%.

i shove, he calls and yes, he tables limped kings. :faint: :faint: :faint:

no ace, queen, or running pair and i'm forced to rebuy. :mad:

however, after a frustrating loss when i couldn't raise out another field of limpers with AK from the small blind i wake up with AA on the button.

there's a small raise and the guy (kk) with all my chips re-raises!!

i shove and hold off an early player who calls with 88 and the man with all my chips who has KK again and for some reason never challenges 88 to a side pot?? :confused:

anyhow no 8 on the turn or river so maybe a foul, but no harm, and i'm back ahead for the game.

after another win with a pair and flush draw it's getting late and with a long week ahead of us i decide to call it a night.

unfortunately my AQ lost the battle of the limpers but in the end, despite a little rust on my no limit armor, i was able to hang tight and win this poker war!!

game +62 (1/2 nl)
year -264 (43-34)

proximity
12-31-2015, 02:38 PM
i usually enjoy the articles by alan schoonmaker in card player magazine but some comments about "locus of control" in the december 9 edition.

i'm not going to go over all 13 questions and while i didn't score 12 or 13 (very external locus) i'm obviously external locus (loser) or wouldn't be commenting.

one question i will go over is #1 regarding my "misfortunes."

the "winner's" answer is obviously 1B, that "people's misfortunes result from the mistakes they make."

looking at recent (personal) misfortunes was it my "mistake" that my car was totaled by an uninsured driver in west virginia? that i got incredibly sick from a tick bite on easter? that i got no cure and a $500 doctor bill for nothing more than an "uhh do you think it (the tick) is still inside you? that my non-smoking mother got lung cancer? and yes, that i'm losing for the year with KK... a hand the late dick mitchell's proverbial drugged monkey will win 60-70 cents on the dollar with?

are these misfortunes and unhappy things due to mistakes? or maybe are they at least partly due to bad luck?

it's true that my external locus self hasn't achieved "great career success" but i never totally blamed "outside forces" for my "circumstances." and if i can lose with the second best hand in poker over the course of 77games....while still only being down $264 for the year.... then how much of a loser am i? why should i feel confident about the challenge of posting winning years? and how much "physically healthier" do i have to be for poker when horseshoe big gun cuserounder is just getting around to deadlifting bodyweight? which arm is he using?

locus and poker? do i get upset about bad luck??

not just yes, but HELL YES!!

am i supposed to pretend i'm happy about losing with KK all the time?

am i upset about incompetent dealers?

what even is that? how incompetent? in general, no i'm not upset about any dealers.

am i upset about idiotic players?

i admit i don't like it when they crack KK all the time and i'm not going to pretend i'm mr stoic "that's poker" when they're stacking my chips but rarely (no, not never) do i "tap the tank." and as a psychologist do you really think it's healthy to go around stifling my emotions all the time?

do i ever delay the game by requesting setups (washes)?

no.

do i ever change seats for superstitious or non strategic reasons?

no.

why do so many players have an external locus?

an important reason why there are far more losers than winners is because so many players have an external locus?

NO!!

there are far more losers because of the rake, bad beat and dealer tip.

shouldn't 50 percent of society be internal and 50 percent external?

i think a better question for a professional psychologist is what percentage of the population of gamblers external locus?

why do we start gambling and reading card player in the first place?

on the internet (even this great website) everybody's a winner with a great tony robbins life of health, wealth, and happiness. but where are these people in the real world of gambling? i'm not standing beside them watching the 13th at pocono or sitting beside them in poker at 2:30 am at bally's or tropicana?

cliff's notes: it's a gambling magazine. we're going to be mostly external locus. losers AND winners alike. it's 2:30 am on a thursday at tropicana. where are all these internal locus winners?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpeLSMKNFO4

proximity
01-01-2016, 01:06 AM
needing a $265 win to move ahead for 2015 i headed out to penn national for one final game of 1/2 no limit hold 'em.

after an early win with kk (!!) things were looking good and at +97 i'd get my big chance to give the year an alcoa fantastic finish when i flop the nut flush draw and call a bet from a solid player in early position.

short stack A beside me calls and then short stack B shoves. the solid player just calls and i call but then (the deeper) short stack A also shoves. the solid player calls again and i call.

blank on the turn and i check behind.

a final diamond on the river though will do it for me but it doesn't come.

i'm ahead for most of the remainder of the game but never get another big chance to go out a winner for the year.

in one final hand i raise KK to $25 and fold out the table except for another short stack with $28 who shoves with 66.

no six hits the board but four clubs fall.

the villain flips over the six of clubs. :)

i want to thank EVERYONE who comes into the poker section here and reads my posts and makes posts of their own. i again want to thank red knave and charm city whiz for encouraging me to become diamond at the end of 2014. i again want to thank charm city whiz and ronsmac for coming to horseshoe for my 2015 diamond dinner. and final thanks to track collector for starting the 2015 thread and for his friendship and support through the years.

game +54 (1/2 nl)
year -210 (44-34)
bonus $ 1,010

RunForTheRoses
01-01-2016, 10:49 AM
i usually enjoy the articles by alan schoonmaker in card player magazine but some comments about "locus of control" in the december 9 edition.

i'm not going to go over all 13 questions and while i didn't score 12 or 13 (very external locus) i'm obviously external locus (loser) or wouldn't be commenting.

the "winner's" answer is obviously 1B, that "people's misfortunes result from the mistakes they make."

looking at recent (personal) misfortunes was it my "mistake" that my car was totaled by an uninsured driver in west virginia? that i got incredibly sick from a tick bite on easter? that i got no cure and a $500 doctor bill for nothing more than an "uhh do you think it (the tick) is still inside you? that my non-smoking mother got lung cancer? and yes, that i'm losing for the year with KK... a hand the late dick mitchell's proverbial drugged monkey will win 60-70 cents on the dollar with?

are these misfortunes and unhappy things due to mistakes? or maybe are they at least partly due to bad luck?

it's true that my external locus self hasn't achieved "great career success" but i never totally blamed "outside forces" for my "circumstances." and if i can lose with the second best hand in poker over the course of 77games....while still only being down $264 for the year.... then how much of a loser am i? why should i feel confident about the challenge of posting winning years? and how much "physically healthier" do i have to be for poker when horseshoe big gun cuserounder is just getting around to deadlifting bodyweight? which arm is he using?

what even is that? how incompetent? in general, no i'm not upset about any dealers.

i admit i don't like it when they crack KK all the time and i'm not going to pretend i'm mr stoic "that's poker" when they're stacking my chips but rarely (no, not never) do i "tap the tank." and as a psychologist do you really think it's healthy to go around stifling my emotions all the time?

no.

no.

an important reason why there are far more losers than winners is because so many players have an external locus?

NO!!

i think a better question for a professional psychologist is what percentage of the population of gamblers external locus?

on the internet (even this great website) everybody's a winner with a great tony robbins life of health, wealth, and happiness. but where are these people in the real world of gambling? i'm not standing beside them watching the 13th at pocono or sitting beside them in poker at 2:30 am at bally's or tropicana?

cliff's notes: it's a gambling magazine. we're going to be mostly external locus. losers AND winners alike. it's 2:30 am on a thursday at tropicana. where are all these internal locus winners?

Happy New Year Prox!

You should read some Albert Ellis (there's many free resources on the web-seminars,etc). Could help you in life and on the felt:

http://albertellis.org/

proximity
01-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Happy New Year Prox!

You should read some Albert Ellis (there's many free resources on the web-seminars,etc). Could help you in life and on the felt:

http://albertellis.org/

thank you run4 and happy new year to you too.

i'll check the site out more when i get some time after this weekend's games.

for 2016 my main poker goal is more positive. basically to put in the time to get 40,000+ caesar's tier credits to make diamond aspirations 1.

i'll make a tour thread if enough people post that they are interested.

Track Collector
01-01-2016, 01:02 PM

Without a doubt almost everyone knows and wants your continued poker dialog. A new 2016 thread has been created and is awaiting YOUR input. :jump:

Thanks to for your continued friendship! It was YOU and your PaceAdvantage poker postings that inspired me to give Texas Holdem a try, and a serious quest (to be profitable) will continue in 2016.

Year 2015 was perhaps a sophomore jink, and clearly on the negative side. :blush: I'll post some final stats hopefully in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I'll be making the much longer drive to the Horseshoe due to their superior comps. Charles Town has almost non-existent comps, but at least the drive is much closer for me.

Rookies
01-01-2016, 05:30 PM

for 2016 my main poker goal is more positive. basically to put in the time to get 40,000+ caesar's tier credits to make diamond aspirations 1.

ABSOLUTELY!

Your honesty, humility and entertainment character traits vouche for themselves! :ThmbUp:

garyscpa
01-01-2016, 10:43 PM

Keep writing. I check for new posts every day. :ThmbUp:

proximity
01-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Without a doubt almost everyone knows and wants your continued poker dialog. A new 2016 thread has been created and is awaiting YOUR input. :jump:

only three people want to see a thread here, so i think there certainly is doubt.

heard from whiz last night. not about the thread but he was going to play at horseshoe but i never saw him. maybe he was watching bravopokerlive and got scared off by the waiting list?

charm city whizz
01-02-2016, 01:43 PM
only three people want to see a thread here, so i think there certainly is doubt.

heard from whiz last night. not about the thread but he was going to play at horseshoe but i never saw him. maybe he was watching bravopokerlive and got scared off by the waiting list?

Yeah had a hard time getting out of bed yesterday after being up for like 30 hours and got hung up watching dead bowl games

And please do the 2016 poker thread we all love reading them, I'll even post my poker figured and embarrass myself on here.....trust me more then 3 people want you to continue

ManU918
01-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Was tied up with the Mummers parade yesterday... Do the thread... I'll make a cameo at some point.

proximity
01-03-2016, 01:31 AM
.....trust me more then 3 people want you to continue

i can see you're right.

we're up to a whole five now. :rolleyes:

all five are pretty solid posters but still only a handful. the interest just doesn't seem to be here.

if i take it to 2+2 i will let everyone here who expressed interest know.

i'll give it some time though.

ctownraces@bp
01-03-2016, 02:14 AM
Proximity this is my favorite thread to read on pace hope you continue to post it's a great read. Best of luck to you at the tables and maybe we will get the chance to meet up someday at Charles town.

therussmeister
01-03-2016, 05:45 AM
i can see you're right.

we're up to a whole five now. :rolleyes:

all five are pretty solid posters but still only a handful. the interest just doesn't seem to be here.

if i take it to 2+2 i will let everyone here who expressed interest know.

i'll give it some time though.
This thread has 20,865 views up till now.

garyscpa
01-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Red Knave
01-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Proxmity, you know I'm out here waiting but don't write it for anyone but yourself.

foul
01-03-2016, 10:38 AM
I check this thread everyday and I don't play poker.........

foul

proximity
01-05-2016, 02:31 AM
paceadvantage isn't the only site i follow on the internet, but it's certainly my favorite and the ONLY one i post on.

i lurked for a long time and then finally started posting eight years ago but it doesn't seem that long. "proximity" was supposed to be the password, lol.

there are a lot of great threads, posts, and posters here but the best thing about paceadvantage to me is getting to meet posters in real life and understand better where they're coming from when they make posts.

there's NEVER been a paceadvantage poster i've met irl and not liked.

it usually takes me a long time to feel comfortable around people and not forming new relationships quickly is certainly a major personal flaw in my life. but yet there are people i've met through paceadvantage that i feel i can text or even call anytime about horseracing, poker, gambling, or anything else.

there are also many other posters here who responded to my poker posts with advice, constructive criticism, and encouragement. it would be great if i could meet these posters in person and thank them but i'll probably never get to meet them all so saying "thank you" here is probably the best i can do.

one poster, replayrandall, says in that stupid tom brady thread that he doesn't care for my "i'm taking my thread to 2+2" threat.

well idk replayrandall and he hasn't been here that long but just from his posting body of work here i have to say that i do respect his opinion and as such his post does bother me. so let me clear up that my possibly posting the reports elsewhere isn't meant to be a "threat" but an opportunity to expose my live poker experiences to others and possibly get feedback and form friendships with players who frequently play in the same casinos that i do. and as frightening and uncomfortable as making a new account and getting trolled by 21 year olds who haven't yet had the first downswing of their gambling careers is for this introvert, i do feel that i'm doing a disservice to myself for at least not considering it.

so that is why i'm considering it.

--proximity

thaskalos
01-05-2016, 02:38 AM

no.

no.

NO!!

No...these unfortunate happenings in your personal and poker-playing life WEREN'T your "mistakes". But it IS your mistake if you think that these things happen to you alone. I won't comment on the more serious health problems that your mom and you have/are struggling with...for fear that you might think that I am trivializing your ordeal. But I feel I must say something about the "bad luck" that you are experiencing at the poker table...while holding premium hands.

I was at a casino in Elgin IL, last night, with a friend of mine...and I sat at a 2/5 no-limit holdem game there for about 3 hours. Here is what happened right before I chose to terminate my poker session:

I had started with the $300 maximum buy-in, and I had built it up to a little over $1,000...mainly as a result of busting a drunk who insisted on going all-in preflop on almost every hand. He went all-in for $200 the first time that I got there, and he collected the blinds. He repeated this twice more...collecting the blinds both times. And then he went all in UTG, and was called by a late-position player...who held pocket Jacks. Alas...the drunk held AK, and doubled up when the King showed on the turn. We thought that the drunk would come to his senses now that he nursed a bigger stack...but we were mistaken. He now started going all-in every OTHER hand...and he was creating havoc at our table. And then I woke up with pocket Queens on the big blind, and I eagerly anticipated his all-in move. When he didn't disappoint me, I almost beat him to the pot with my stack. I ended up busting him, and he left angrily...much to the delight of the remaining players.

Anyway...there I sat with over $1,000...and I made up my mind to leave the next time the blinds got to me. There were several pretty-big stacks at the table...and the biggest one belonged to a heavy-set young Oriental player, who had about $2,500 in front of him. And that's when the fateful hand arrived:

In the cut-off seat...I looked down and found your beloved pocket Kings. There were 2 callers in front of me...so, I made it $35 to go...hoping that my position would hide the strength of my hand. The Oriental with the big stack called on the big blind...and there was another middle position caller in front of me. With $112 in the pot...the flop came:

4...K...8, rainbow.

The middle position player checked to me...and I bet $75. To my great delight...the Oriental RAISED it to $250 with no hesitation...and I felt that there was no reason to slow-play my hand. I called "all-in", and he called me with hardly any delay at all. And, when the Jack and the 10 of clubs came on the turn and the river, thus putting 3 clubs on the board...he tabled the A-4 of clubs...and dragged in the monster pot. He had wagered over $1,000 on bottom pair, an overcard...and a backdoor flush draw.

And...as he started stacking his chips at the same time that I got up to leave...he turned to his astonished neighbor...and told him in a matter-of-factly manner:

"My hand had the equity to make the play. When you have this many outs...the hand practically plays itself".

And the neighbor, an older and wiser player, shook his head and replied:

"You are wrong about the hand, friend...but I can't blame you for this move that you made. It isn't YOUR fault; it's this freaking GAME! It mocks us...and laughs at our expense. It punishes the decent player...and makes the fool think that he knows how to play."

I heard the older guy's comment, and found myself chuckling as I walked up the stairs to go find my friend...even though hearing the comment cost me over $1,000.

SRU has started a thread here somewhere...about athletes and teams with "heart". The assumption being, of course, that the athlete needs "heart" in order to do his best...in a game where his participation is rewarded with a multi-million dollar guaranteed contract. But if such a player needs "heart" in order to do his best...then, what about the player who makes all the right moves, and, as a reward, finds himself walking to his car with empty pockets? And then has to pick himself up...and do the same thing again tomorrow? What does THIS guy need?

I enjoy reading your posts here, Proximity...even if I don't post in your thread anymore. I initially intended to post some of my OWN poker exploits here in this thread...but I rejected the idea for fear that no-one would believe the things that I would be reporting. People would think that I am making things up...just so I could have something amusing to say. And you bring such honesty and integrity to your posts here...that I don't wish to color this thread with any comments of my own, which might appear as if they are made up.

But I can't leave without telling you that this is a TREACHEROUS game...and it's this way for ALL of us. Some people think that "proper play" is the most difficult part...but that's not even CLOSE to being true. The most difficult part is being beaten to a pulp by absolute IDIOTS...and then picking yourself up so they could beat you up AGAIN. And AGAIN! And all along knowing that you are probably the best player at the table.

Many people speak of "variance"...but few know what this word really MEANS. Knowing what this word really means comes with a lot of pain and anguish...and you are experiencing your share of this right now. Instead of cursing your fate...I advise you to compliment yourself for having the brains to sit in the smaller games, while you are getting your "education". ALL of us should have been as smart...

thaskalos
01-05-2016, 03:10 AM
paceadvantage isn't the only site i follow on the internet, but it's certainly my favorite and the ONLY one i post on.

i lurked for a long time and then finally started posting eight years ago but it doesn't seem that long. "proximity" was supposed to be the password, lol.

there are a lot of great threads, posts, and posters here but the best thing about paceadvantage to me is getting to meet posters in real life and understand better where they're coming from when they make posts.

it usually takes me a long time to feel comfortable around people and not forming new relationships quickly is certainly a major personal flaw in my life. but yet there are people i've met through paceadvantage that i feel i can text or even call anytime about horseracing, poker, gambling, or anything else.

there are also many other posters here who responded to my poker posts with advice, constructive criticism, and encouragement. it would be great if i could meet these posters in person and thank them but i'll probably never get to meet them all so saying "thank you" here is probably the best i can do.

one poster, replayrandall, says in that stupid tom brady thread that he doesn't care for my "i'm taking my thread to 2+2" threat.

well idk replayrandall and he hasn't been here that long but just from his posting body of work here i have to say that i do respect his opinion and as such his post does bother me. so let me clear up that my possibly posting the reports elsewhere isn't meant to be a "threat" but an opportunity to expose my live poker experiences to others and possibly get feedback and form friendships with players who frequently play in the same casinos that i do. and as frightening and uncomfortable as making a new account and getting trolled by 21 year olds who haven't yet had the first downswing of their gambling careers is for this introvert, i do feel that i'm doing a disservice to myself for at least not considering it.

so that is why i'm considering it.

--proximity

ReplayRandall is a smart guy...but he can be a little abrupt. :)

You put a lot of time and effort into your posts...and I don't blame you for desiring a bigger audience. But, along with more "attention"...your posts there might also attract some hard-biting criticism about your play. Some of those guys at that other site consider themselves to be genuine "experts"...and they are a little too free with their unsolicited advice.

If you don't consider yourself too thin-skinned...then, go for it. :)

proximity
01-05-2016, 03:18 AM
I enjoy reading your posts here, Proximity...even if I don't post in your thread anymore. I initially intended to post some of my OWN poker exploits here in this thread...but I rejected the idea for fear that no-one would believe the things that I would be reporting. People would think that I am making things up...just so I could have something amusing to say. And you bring such honesty and integrity to your posts here...that I don't wish to color this thread with any comments of my own, which might appear as if they are made up.

But I can't leave without telling you that this is a TREACHEROUS game...and it's this way for ALL of us. Some people think that "proper play" is the most difficult part...but that's not even CLOSE to being true. The most difficult part is being beaten to a pulp by absolute IDIOTS...and then picking yourself up so they could beat you up AGAIN. And AGAIN! And all along knowing that you are probably the best player at the table.

Many people speak of "variance"...but few know what this word really MEANS. Knowing what this word really means comes with a lot of pain and anguish...and you are experiencing your share of this right now. Instead of cursing your fate...I advise you to compliment yourself for having the brains to sit in the smaller games, while you are getting your "education". ALL of us should have been as smart...

sir you have so much great to say and such a tremendous talent for saying it that you should NEVER hesitate to post for any reason.

i see your join date too of jan 2006. ten years of posting so THANK YOU.

and your bottom paragraphs about treachery of the games show anyone who has been there that you're not just talking the talk but also walking the walk.

when the going gets tough, always remind yourself that it wasn't over when the germans bombed pearl harbor.... and it ain't over now!! ;)

ManU918
01-05-2016, 10:32 AM

You can be honest... I wont hold it against you.

ronsmac
01-05-2016, 12:17 PM
That's because very few people on the internet are honest about their life. You are. Unfortunately in business a lot of times it comes down to who you and not what you know. Hopefully in 2016 you'll hit a BBJ and can give knish the keys to his truck back.

Also... Anyone who determines someone a winner/loser because of the persons job is a piece of shit.I'm honest about my life. It kind of sucks but nobody wants to listen to a cry baby. Lol.

ronsmac
01-05-2016, 01:19 PM

heard from whiz last night. not about the thread but he was going to play at horseshoe but i never saw him. maybe he was watching bravopokerlive and got scared off by the waiting list? Four.

proximity
01-05-2016, 06:13 PM
You can be honest... I wont hold it against you.

ok, there is that crybaby ronsmac always bellyaching about his stressful life of cashing signers and fighting off asian dimes at the horseshoe. :D

ManU918
01-05-2016, 06:33 PM
ok, there is that crybaby ronsmac always bellyaching about his stressful life of cashing signers and fighting off asian dimes at the horseshoe. :D

LOL... You playing at Sands at all this week? Should be some nice cash games going during their Deep Stacks Main Event.

proximity
01-05-2016, 10:41 PM
LOL... You playing at Sands at all this week? Should be some nice cash games going during their Deep Stacks Main Event.

no, i have a resolution to play at horseshoe baltimore as much as possible. i'm getting promo chips three days this week in addition to the regular great treatment!!

proximity
01-09-2016, 02:22 AM
sorry for all the drama but i did think about it and have decided to continue posting the poker reports here at paceadvantage and only here at paceadvantage.

a main factor was that i somewhat underestimated the demands of balancing the poker trips with the rest of my life. so far i'm making it to the casinos and writing down some game notes when i get home and it will just be a matter getting the time to log in here and put together solid game reports that can at least rival those of 2014 and 2015.

we're a family here at paceadvantage and this is the family i want to go to diamond aspirations level(s) with!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1YnwozHawA

see you tomorrow in track collector's 2016 thread!!

--proximity

charm city whizz
01-09-2016, 07:30 AM
sorry for all the drama but i did think about it and have decided to continue posting the poker reports here at paceadvantage and only here at paceadvantage.

a main factor was that i somewhat underestimated the demands of balancing the poker trips with the rest of my life. so far i'm making it to the casinos and writing down some game notes when i get home and it will just be a matter getting the time to log in here and put together solid game reports that can at least rival those of 2014 and 2015.

we're a family here at paceadvantage and this is the family i want to go to diamond aspirations level(s) with!!

--proximity

You get diamond aspirations I'll be impressed

My goal this poker year is to play 520 hours, that's only 10 a week so won't be hard

Plan on finally grasping the no limit side of poker as I'm ready to write the obituary on limit poker besides vacation best of luck to all on here!!

ManU918
01-09-2016, 08:42 AM
McKeehen keeps rolling. Watched the entire final table of the $100K PCA Super High Roller buy-in last night. He finished 2nd for a cool 1.2 million.

PaceAdvantage
01-13-2016, 06:44 PM

--proximityGlad to hear it! I read every word of this thread and would hate to see it go.

proximity
01-13-2016, 11:35 PM
Glad to hear it! I read every word of this thread and would hate to see it go.

thanks pace for reading the thread and for this great site. and thanks again to everyone who offered feedback.... track collector, rookies, garyscpa, charm city, manu, ctraces, russmeister, red knave, foul, thask, ronsmac.....