PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee leaving Fox News

Robert Goren
01-04-2015, 07:56 AM
"(CNN)Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor, is ending his weekend program on Fox News -- effective immediately -- as he contemplates another run for president.
"I won't make a decision about running until late in the spring of 2015, but the continued chatter has put Fox News into a position that is not fair to them," Huckabee wrote in a letter to supporters Saturday evening released before his show started airing.

"The honorable thing to do at this point is to end my tenure here at Fox so I can openly talk with potential donors and supporters and gauge support," he added."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/03/politics/huckabee-saturday-announcement/

As democrat, this guy scares me because if he get the GOP nomination(a big if), he could win the general election. I have kinda gotten use to candidates who have no chance. I have been hoping for a Romney repeat or a Rand Paul candidacy. Unlike 2012, there is going a plethora of GOP heavy hitters running in 2016. Jeb, Christie, Rubio, Ryan, Huckabee and couple of tea partiers thrown for good measure, the GOP race will be interesting.

Tom
01-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Relax, Bobby - it is squirrel season and he just got a new Jiffy Popper.
Gonna be busy for a while.

JustRalph
01-04-2015, 10:55 AM
He can't beat em in the primaries

This isn't 2008

reckless
01-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Two US Senate seats in Arkansas was open the last few years. Mike Huckabee was an 'obvious' candidate in both instances and probable winner.

Yet, he chose not to run. This puts him in the camp of non-serious candidates.

He'll get some media play early because of his nice personality and Fox TV show recognition but is finished, tired and broke after an eighth of a mile.

Clocker
01-04-2015, 11:53 AM
I don't see him getting the nomination. His appeal is too narrow, and whatever he achieved as governor is now obscured in the public mind by his career as a Fox media personality.

He would have even less chance in the general election, unless he was running against a flaming moonbat like Warren. He had no charisma and his policies don't offer bread and circuses for low information voters. And while Obama's race was a forbidden topic, Huckabee's religion wouldn't be. I think it would be a big straw man for the left to attack.

Robert Goren
01-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Reagan proved that you can't underestimate the power of folksiness. I wouldn't vote for him, but I know several people who will.

Clocker
01-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Reagan proved that you can't underestimate the power of folksiness.

Reagan show a lot more administrative ability as a union leader and governor of California. And he also had a tough side that was demonstrated when needed.

boxcar
01-04-2015, 01:44 PM
He can't beat em in the primaries

This isn't 2008

Can any of the ol', tired "R" retreads beat anything in the primaries?

JustRalph
01-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Huckster can't run from his record of raising taxes more than once

reckless
01-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Huckabee also pardoned a career criminal and murderer who promptly murdered more two people in relatively short time after the pardon.

ArlJim78
01-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Huck please. Give it up.

Robert Goren
01-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Can a right wing nut who is hated by other right wing nuts be all bad? In seriousness, with Huckabee, it is not about the issues or even his record. It is about his charisma and does the GOP want to nominate somebody that voters like as a person and would vote for even though he is far to the right of where they are politically? Getting the nomination is going to be his biggest problem, not the general election. He could win the general, not a sure thing, but he has a chance which is more than can be said for most of the candidates the GOP posters on this forum like.

Clocker
01-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Can a right wing nut who is hated by other right wing nuts be all bad?

Why is everything about hate for liberals? Someone says Huckabee is unelectable, they must hate him. Someone objectively points out problems with ObamaCare, they must hate Obama.

I have some disagreement with some of Huckabee's policies, but he would be a better president than any Democrat on the scene, and most of the Republicans. But I don't think he can win the nomination.

Tom
01-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Unlike democrats, we are concerned with principals, not people.
Putting any old fool who can win is not what we want - that is how we got Clinton, Obama....we want people who will advance the right ideas.

Why do we have primaries?
So that the voice of the people is not accidentally heard.

You lefties would better off clustering around Miss America.

DJofSD
01-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Unlike democrats, we are concerned with principals, not people.
Putting any old fool who can win is not what we want - that is how we got Clinton, Obama....we want people who will advance the right ideas.

Why do we have primaries?
So that the voice of the people is not accidentally heard.

You lefties would better off clustering around Miss America.
RG, what he said.

ArlJim78
01-05-2015, 04:41 PM
and now today Santorum is making noise about 2016. I guess Huntsman will be next.
please just kill me now.

reckless
01-05-2015, 05:36 PM
I am with you ArlJim and others on the tired, failed rethreads. Just stay home and leave the playing field open to those that have a winnable message and could win.

Now, that being said, I believe that the reason Santorum, Huckabee, Huntsman and probably Rick Perry are entering or thinking openly about entering the race is because they know that Jeb, Chris Christie and Mittens are being pushed by the GOP establishment, and they know as well as I do -- ;) ;) -- that those three cannot win in November 2016 against Hillary or any other Democrat as well.

Clocker
01-05-2015, 05:36 PM
and now today Santorum is making noise about 2016. I guess Huntsman will be next.
please just kill me now.

We have programs for horses that can't run any more. Why can't we do the same for politicians?

DJofSD
01-05-2015, 05:39 PM
We have programs for horses that can't run any more. Why can't we do the same for politicians?
"They shot horses, don't they?" will now take on a whole new meaning.

JustRalph
01-05-2015, 05:45 PM
please just kill me now.

Reading my mind :bang:

Santorum has been in campaign mode for the last year. He is liked by the "very religious" base

TJDave
01-05-2015, 07:00 PM
He is liked by the "very religious" base

"Very religious" Catholic base, maybe. Last time he ran he got support from Protestant evangelicals who didn't know he was a cultist. They won't make that mistake this time around.

fast4522
01-05-2015, 08:36 PM
please just kill me now.

I really feel we have to thankful that good people participate in the process but far left and right need not apply. Like no one is interested in Santorum or Huntsman on the national level. Both know upfront the national debt would be paid off before they got the nomination. Huckabee is making moves but the reality is these three are only interested in raising their stock, and for whatever reason to have some say in the platform of the convention.

TJDave
01-05-2015, 09:06 PM
If Jeb Bush wants the nomination he will get it. He's got the connections and money behind him to do it. I would bet the only undecided for him is if he thinks he can beat the democrat nominee. And there it's simply electoral math.

ReplayRandall
01-05-2015, 09:15 PM
If Jeb Bush wants the nomination he will get it. He's got the connections and money behind him to do it. I would bet the only undecided for him is if he thinks he can beat the democrat nominee. And there it's simply electoral math.

TJ, it's obvious you want Jeb to get the nomination, knowing he will absolutely lose to the Democratic nominee. On this point we agree, as he will lose. Therefore, under no circumstance should Jeb Bush ever be the Republican nominee......

TJDave
01-05-2015, 09:21 PM
TJ, it's obvious you want Jeb to get the nomination, knowing he will absolutely lose to the Democratic nominee.

Why would you say that? If Jeb Bush were my party's nominee he would get my vote. ;)

ReplayRandall
01-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Why would you say that? If Jeb Bush were my party's nominee he would get my vote. ;)

And what party would that be? BTW, I'm an independent conservative.....

NJ Stinks
01-05-2015, 09:42 PM
My guess is Huckabee's TV show was a losing proposition for FOX News for a long time. Rather than embarrass Huckabee when cancelling the show, the presidential run excuse was hatched.

TJDave
01-05-2015, 09:43 PM
And what party would that be? BTW, I'm an independent conservative.....

I'm a registered republican. Have been for 30+ years.

JustRalph
01-06-2015, 12:34 AM
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/mike-huckabee-is-a-poison-pill-for-conservatives/

Hucks a poison pill

JustRalph
01-06-2015, 12:46 AM
My guess is Huckabee's TV show was a losing proposition for FOX News for a long time. Rather than embarrass Huckabee when cancelling the show, the presidential run excuse was hatched.

It was the Top rated weekend show on cable

NJ Stinks
01-06-2015, 01:55 AM
It was the Top rated weekend show on cable

That tosses my theory into the recycling bin! :mad: :)

PaceAdvantage
01-06-2015, 03:06 PM
TJ, it's obvious you want Jeb to get the nomination, knowing he will absolutely lose to the Democratic nominee. On this point we agree, as he will lose. Therefore, under no circumstance should Jeb Bush ever be the Republican nominee......I think this is a ridiculous statement.

I haven't been following politics much lately...and I'm not very familiar with good ol' Jeb. But if you're stating this just because the Bush name is toxic, well, I give voters more credit than that...I don't think they would simply and automatically dismiss him based on last name alone. OF COURSE, some will...but not enough to state he'd be an automatic loser, no matter who the Dem nominee is...

DJofSD
01-06-2015, 03:09 PM
You can give the voters some credit but not too much. They're led around by the media and the media will dismiss him b/c of his last name and guilt-by-association.

horses4courses
01-06-2015, 03:13 PM
I think this is a ridiculous statement.

I haven't been following politics much lately...and I'm not very familiar with good ol' Jeb. But if you're stating this just because the Bush name is toxic, well, I give voters more credit than that...I don't think they would simply and automatically dismiss him based on last name alone. OF COURSE, some will...but not enough to state he'd be an automatic loser, no matter who the Dem nominee is...

I agree with that.
Name recognition is powerful on the ballot.
Many undecided voters take comfort in seeing
a name that they know, and feel they can trust.

Jeb Bush has to be one of the strongest GOP candidates.
He would not be without a chance of winning, either.

rastajenk
01-06-2015, 03:13 PM
It has occurred to me that the media might actually help him, because he's kind of a centrist, before turning on him, because he's a Republican.

Tom
01-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Many people would be happy to see the name Bush again......

DJofSD
01-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Not me. I believe Bush screwed us over and many just don't know it yet.

FB.

horses4courses
01-06-2015, 03:21 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah......
That was your "the economy's tanking" schtick.

Taken a look around lately?
You're in need of new material.

horses4courses
01-06-2015, 03:29 PM
I believe Bush screwed us over and many just don't know it yet.

I'll admit it, I developed a soft spot for W.
He did America a great service by staying alive while in office.
The alternative would have been unthinkable.

Tom
01-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Not me. I believe Bush screwed us over and many just don't know it yet.

FB.

Obama, Clinton, Bush.
You decide.

PaceAdvantage
01-06-2015, 03:41 PM
I'll admit it, I developed a soft spot for W.
He did America a great service by staying alive while in office.
The alternative would have been unthinkable.Get your story straight. Aren't you supposed to be saying Cheney was the one actually calling all the shots from 2000-2008?

ReplayRandall
01-06-2015, 03:50 PM
I think this is a ridiculous statement.

Ridiculous? Do you think I want to be proven correct? The Bush name unfortunately IS toxic and will rally the Democratic base like never before. The mid-term elections was the "pendulum" swing of low turnout and Obama's abysmal numbers and job performance. The RNC did a much better job of getting the base to vote than the DNC, along with frustrated conservative independent voters, but the pendulum will fully swing back in 2016 if the name Bush is atop the GOP ticket. The conservative independent voters would be hard pressed to help turn the tide against the sheer numbers advantage that the Dems have over the GOP registered voters. There HAS to be a better candidate come forward for the GOP to win back the White House. I am sure of my statement and will stand by it......

PaceAdvantage
01-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Jeb Bush has a lot more going for him than good ol' Georgie did...I haven't seen anyone try and peg him as a dumbass...that's always good...plus he's seen as level-headed...another good trait...

I disagree with you at this point. That's all...

reckless
01-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Jeb Bush has a lot more going for him than good ol' Georgie did...I haven't seen anyone try and peg him as a dumbass...that's always good...plus he's seen as level-headed...another good trait...

I disagree with you at this point. That's all...

The media and the left wing elite (un)class hated G.W. in part because of his accent -- southern/western/whatever that was, and his macho and sporting references.

With Jeb, he wants people to believe that he's an intellectual, phony looking eyewear notwithstanding, which is as much a joke as saying G.W. was a dope.

And as this campaign gets going, we'll hear and read how smart Jeb is, etc., unlike big brother G.W. Then if Jeb does get the nomination, stories will eventually pop up on how he didn't know how much a dozens eggs cost or the price of meat loaf.

JustRalph
01-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Jeb Brings a big jump on campaigning in Florida. That's huge. But I don't want him to win.

Btw, Florida now has more population than NY. Florida will be a big player in the future. Especially as NY loses electoral college votes and Florida gains. That's the future though.

horses4courses
01-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Get your story straight. Aren't you supposed to be saying Cheney was the one actually calling all the shots from 2000-2008?

More than his fair share of the shots, yes, but not all.
He would have been insufferable as president.

rastajenk
01-06-2015, 08:20 PM
I think he'd be a good one. Nothing phony about him, complete opposite of the current occupant.

Tom
01-06-2015, 10:06 PM
I poster on the old PA that Cheney was the main reason to vote for W.
In case of a world crisis (enter:9/11) who would you want in the WH....Bush 41's team, led by Cheney, or Idiot Al Gore? Stupid Al would have blamed in on the millions of degrees in the center of the earth erupting.

Obama would have apologized for our building getting in the way.

Cheney is a better man than every democrat out there.
Geez, Urkle is a better man than any of them! :lol:

horses4courses
01-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Then do your best to get Cheney to run in 2016.
Heck, he has the heart of a 40 year old.....he's gonna live forever.

Man.....I'd pay to see that happen. :ThmbUp:

reckless
01-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Then do your best to get Cheney to run in 2016.
Heck, he has the heart of a 40 year old.....he's gonna live forever.

Man.....I'd pay to see that happen. :ThmbUp:

Cheney also has the heart of a lion, unlike the Democrat Party/left wing sissy boys you cheer for.

I am in agreement with you! I'd pay to see it happen too.!

lamboguy
01-07-2015, 02:09 PM
I poster on the old PA that Cheney was the main reason to vote for W.
In case of a world crisis (enter:9/11) who would you want in the WH....Bush 41's team, led by Cheney, or Idiot Al Gore? Stupid Al would have blamed in on the millions of degrees in the center of the earth erupting.

Obama would have apologized for our building getting in the way.

Cheney is a better man than every democrat out there.
Geez, Urkle is a better man than any of them! :lol:i'd rather have PUTIN here than all of them bums

Clocker
01-07-2015, 02:35 PM
i'd rather have PUTIN here than all of them bums

Putin is what Obama would like to be, virtual president for life without a messy legislature to block his will.

Of anyone on the world stage today, I'd opt for Netanyahu.

lamboguy
01-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Putin is what Obama would like to be, virtual president for life without a messy legislature to block his will.

Of anyone on the world stage today, I'd opt for Netanyahu.Putin got a tremendous approval rating over 80%.

the presidents in this country all have about the same, 48%

Robert Goren
01-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Cheney also has the heart of a lion, unlike the Democrat Party/left wing sissy boys you cheer for.

I am in agreement with you! I'd pay to see it happen too.!Gee, I thought they put a human heart in him 2 years ago. This is the first time I have been wrong in 2015. I have 2 more times left for the year.:)

reckless
01-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Gee, I thought they put a human heart in him 2 years ago. This is the first time I have been wrong in 2015. I have 2 more times left for the year.:)

You're never wrong Robert, just slightly misguided. :)