PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Sat., January 3

Teach
01-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Race One:

:3: Oohlala would benefit from what appears to be an impending wet racing surface (not sure the rain will arrive by the first race). The Danzig-bred filly would relish (if precipitation arrives in time) the off-going. Apprentice “Izzy” Rodriguez needs to get this filly interested early; she was a city-block behind at the half in her last. One thing appears certain, there shouldn’t be any “traffic” problems in this short-field opener. Oh, this filly is donning blinkers; that may well keep her more focused. Trainer Tony Dutrow is good with both first-time “blinks” and maiden claimers. With a well-timed trip, this filly should be right there at the wire. Also: 2 Truly Posseble; 5 QT Bird; 6 Lookingforamiracle.

Race Two:

:6: Volastic gets my nod here. Pulpit-bred gelding looks like he’s at the right level. His connections tried him in a route last time against better; he finished up the track. But here, at this level, under these conditions, at this distance, he’s got a good shot. The gelding has hit the tote in eight of 12 tries at the distance. Fernando Jara is in the irons for trainer Gary Contessa. Contessa is very good when horses are making their second start under his tutelage. Also: 1 Mop Head; 5 Western Tryst.

Race Three:

:2: Energetico is my pick in this claiming sprint. The Seeking The Gold-bred horse should take nicely to the wet surface. Yet the horse has “Burned the British” in his last three as the chalk; he finished fourth in each of those efforts. But now, on a wet surface, he chances are enhanced. Jeremy Rose gets the assignment on this “Brotherly Love” shipper for trainer Rudy Rodriguez. Also: 1 Bemata; 3 Non Stop; 7 Night Patrol.

Race Four:

:1: Artemus Paperboy steps up a bit in this claiming route, but I believe the class hike shouldn’t deter this A.P. Indy-bred ridgling from completing his route. Trainer David Jacobson is having an excellent meet; he does well in all categories. Jockey Angel Cruz gets the riding assignment. Also: 7 For The Luv of Lil; 2 Poliziano; 3 Seeker.

Race Five:

:2: The Spotted Wonder is my pick in this state-bred allowance route. This roan Storm Cat-bred gelding has been the model of consistency in recent efforts, with one problem…there’s been trouble finding the winner’s circle. The gelding has hit the tote in all four of his most recent races. Manny Franco reprises the ride for trainer Leo O’Brien. The off-going should be a big benefit. Also: 3 Changewilldoyagood; 4 Alcolite; 9 Hidden Warrior.

Race Six:

:12: Madroos is my pick in a large-field, wide-open maiden-special sprint. This Indian Charlie-bred colt should enjoy the off-going, the “turn-back,” and the outside starting post. The colt registered a recent solid work; he also adds blinkers. Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin’s have a very good meet; he’s good with “turn-backs”. Fernando Jara gets the call. Also: 5 On Tap; 6 Instructor Kunu; 1 Money Multiplier.

Race Seven:

:10: Mine Over Matter is my choice in this optional claiming sprint for NY state-breds. This veteran horse with earnings of over a half-million dollars should take nicely to the off-going. The A.P. Indy chestnut has hit the tote in 10 of 13 lifetime starts on a wet surface. Irad Ortiz, Jr. for the most capable Mike Hushion. Also: 4 Flying Zealous; 3 Towering Moon; 8 Readytodefer

Race Eight:

In the Grade III, Jerome, I like :9: El Kabeir with Calvin (Bo-Rail) Borel. This Scat Daddy-bred colt has been running against graded stakes company and, I might add, acquitting himself very well. He should take nicely to the off going. Jockey Borel will need to get this colt out and going early to avoid getting hung out to dry on that first turn. If the colt can be guided into a snug, drafting position, he’ll mostdefinitely be a factor. John Terranova II is the conditioner. Others: 7 Ackeret; 8 Nasa; 5 Now We Are Free.

Race Nine:

In the finale, I’m going to try for “a bomb,” the outside horse: :10: Norm the Giant. This Frost Giant-bred colt should relish the off going. The horse’s dam had four winners from five starters. If his jockey can get this horse out and way from his outside starting post, he should become an instant factor. Carl Domino trains. Also: 3 R Cardinal One; 7 Yourthekingjimmy; 8 Freshman Phenom.

Tor Ekman
01-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Note: Borel is not riding El Kabeir due to family matter, Charles Lopez has the mount for today