PDA

View Full Version : horse shipping

lamboguy
01-03-2015, 10:52 AM
i have been shipping horses from Ocala to New York forever. when gasoline was $4.00 a gallon i was paying $500 for a stall and a half plus a gas surcharge of $75. today the price of gas is less than half and they are charging me $808 for the very same ship !

is there any justice in this world?

JustRalph
01-03-2015, 11:51 AM
i have been shipping horses from Ocala to New York forever. when gasoline was $4.00 a gallon i was paying $500 for a stall and a half plus a gas surcharge of $75. today the price of gas is less than half and they are charging me $808 for the very same ship !

is there any justice in this world?

Sounds like somebody has a monopoly

I would start shopping

lamboguy
01-03-2015, 12:24 PM
there are plenty of guys that you can get to ship horses, but for the most part they are unreliable and don't have the right insurance. plus when you give them the horse they are in a boxed stall, they pick up another horse somewhere and when they make it up north they are in single stalls. that makes for a big difference on a 24 hour ship. its almost as if the horse runs 2 races while he is in the van. meanwhile the horse is on a schedule to make a race in New York and you now have a horse that is completely knocked out from the ship

TJDave
01-03-2015, 01:49 PM
there are plenty of guys that you can get to ship horses, but for the most part they are unreliable and don't have the right insurance. plus when you give them the horse they are in a boxed stall, they pick up another horse somewhere and when they make it up north they are in single stalls. that makes for a big difference on a 24 hour ship. its almost as if the horse runs 2 races while he is in the van. meanwhile the horse is on a schedule to make a race in New York and you now have a horse that is completely knocked out from the ship

I think you just answered your previous question.

Ocala Mike
01-03-2015, 03:15 PM
You get what you pay for. I've never had a complaint using Lorraine, Brook Ledge, Sallee, or Creech from and to Ocala.

lamboguy
01-03-2015, 03:17 PM
You get what you pay for. I've never had a complaint using Lorraine, Brook Ledge, Sallee, or Creech from and to Ocala.i always use Lorraine, they are all about the same. i was just complaining because when gas was going up they all gave you the fuel surcharge, now that it has come down their prices haven't dropped.

Ocala Mike
01-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Right; don't expect airline fares to plummet any time soon, either. What goes up doesn't necessarily come down after all.

Shemp Howard
01-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Right; don't expect airline fares to plummet any time soon, either. What goes up doesn't necessarily come down after all.

My wife's New Year's Eve comment verbatim.

How did you know?

Ocala Mike
01-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Lucky guess, Shemp. Your wife must be a smart gal! Like your tag - "Refugee from Bowie"; I go back to the days when NY horseplayers, hungry for action, anxiously awaited the Bowie opening around the 3rd week of January.

davew
01-04-2015, 02:49 PM
I suspect it may have to do with what state they are based in and how big of company they are.