PDA

View Full Version : First time gelding data

Valuist
01-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Interesting to see Zito has a horse who was just gelded on Dec. 28 (last Sunday) entered today in the 2nd at GP. Is this back too quick? Isn't their sutures involved and bleeding and infection a risk so soon after the procedure? I'll defer to horsemen and owners who've gelded their horses to answer this one.

DJofSD
01-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Having gelded colts in the distant past, my recollection is a little fuzzy -- maybe a couple of weeks at the most. This could be different for an older horse that is in training. Keeping a recently cut horse moving would be a part of the healing process to help recovery but how much more than hand walking and how soon is another question.

One thing I considered adding to the other thread but did not b/c there are some obvious flaws is the recorded works and any breaks in the pattern a trainer would use.

Also, for older horses, i.e. those that already have testosterone flowing through their blood and have been cut to make them more easily managed/trained, it takes a while for the hormones to drop.

cj
01-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Interesting to see Zito has a horse who was just gelded on Dec. 28 (last Sunday) entered today in the 2nd at GP. Is this back too quick? Isn't their sutures involved and bleeding and infection a risk so soon after the procedure? I'll defer to horsemen and owners who've gelded their horses to answer this one.

See this thread: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119247

There is no way the horse was gelded on December 28th, that is just when it was reported. We don't really know when the horse was gelded.

Valuist
01-01-2015, 12:59 PM

There is no way the horse was gelded on December 28th, that is just when it was reported. We don't really know when the horse was gelded.

Thanks. I missed the earlier thread. Amazing they can sit on this info for weeks if they want. Definitely need fines for late reporting.

Stillriledup
01-01-2015, 01:05 PM

Public all over this one, 2-1 right now with 4 MTP.

Saratoga_Mike
01-01-2015, 01:21 PM

This issue is easy solved (if the procedure is performed on track). Any vet practicing on the track's grounds has three days to report the procedure to the racing office. If they fail to do so, it's a $1,000 fine. Same requirement for the trainer and same penalty. There, problem solved.

cj
01-01-2015, 01:22 PM
This issue is easy solved (if the procedure is performed on track). Any vet practicing on the track's grounds has three days to report the procedure to the racing office. If they fail to do so, it's a $1,000 fine. Same requirement for the trainer and same penalty. There, problem solved.

No argument from me, this is easily fixed.