PDA

View Full Version : New NYRA workout requirements

FantasticDan
12-31-2014, 01:53 PM
The New York Racing Association, Inc. has announced new criteria for workouts that will go into effect on Sunday, January 28 for all 2015 NYRA race meets, mandating a minimum number of official, recorded workouts, as well as minimum distances, for various types of horses:

http://origin-nyra.ae-dns.com/aqueduct/new-nyra-workout-requirements-unveiled-for-2015/

New rules in response to Wicked Irish, unraced in two years with only one published work, who fatally broke down last Saturday at AQU.

lamboguy
12-31-2014, 02:47 PM
just wonder if the works have to be at NYRA tracks or just at accredited facility's?

in Parx you need a published work if the horse hasn't done anything in 45 days. in any event i think the rule is a good one, it gives the product more transparency. i suppose they will be coming out with other rules that are needed going down the road.

FantasticDan
12-31-2014, 03:12 PM
DRF article (http://www.drf.com/news/nyra-establishes-workout-rules)

lamboguy
12-31-2014, 03:42 PM
most guys work over the track at least once no matter how many times they worked someplace else. its very tough to win in New York without having been over the surfaces in Aqueduct and Belmont.

RXB
12-31-2014, 03:44 PM
I don't pay tons of attention to the Aqu inner meet, but eight fatalities within three racing weeks? That is BAD. Is it the surface or are they allowing unsound horses to race left, right and centre?

lamboguy
12-31-2014, 03:56 PM
I don't pay tons of attention to the Aqu inner meet, but eight fatalities within three racing weeks? That is BAD. Is it the surface or are they allowing unsound horses to race left, right and centre?the surface is great, its just different than other places and horses need to get used to it.

that rule is a great rule for New York.

Stillriledup
12-31-2014, 07:36 PM
I don't pay tons of attention to the Aqu inner meet, but eight fatalities within three racing weeks? That is BAD. Is it the surface or are they allowing unsound horses to race left, right and centre?

Be careful now, you might get accused of accusing the vet of lying. :D

I'm sure if you ask everyone involved, all the breakdowns were perfectly sound horses who just took random bad steps that could have happened to anyone. :eek:

Stillriledup
12-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Why not just have training races? That way, fans can see these horses essentially work in company, the betting handles would be much bigger on races littered with firsters, its a handle creator, no reason why not to do it.

Tom
12-31-2014, 07:50 PM
Maybe too many horses only have one race in them? Or left in them.

EMD4ME
12-31-2014, 07:51 PM
Why not just have training races? That way, fans can see these horses essentially work in company, the betting handles would be much bigger on races littered with firsters, its a handle creator, no reason why not to do it.

Some tracks used to have that. Never saw one but saw training race workouts at some LA tracks. They would rank who finished where in the race as part of the workout.

Stillriledup
12-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Some tracks used to have that. Never saw one but saw training race workouts at some LA tracks. They would rank who finished where in the race as part of the workout.

I used to bet off the training races at Fair Grounds. Would have been nice to have a connection to get me the tapes of those races at FG back in the day. ;) ;)

To Tom, that's the argument owners make. But, the training races that used to go at Fair Grounds, went slower than workouts, there was not much jostling, there was usually only 5 or 6 in the field, jocks would stay away from each other and finish under hand rides most times. Not good for the owner to have a "Race" and not get paid as well as tip their hand on their firster. But, in reality, the training race isnt any more strenuous than a fast workout, horses are not being pushed hard.

BlueShoe
12-31-2014, 08:20 PM
that rule is a great rule for New York.
Great rule for every track in North America. As a capper that has recency rules, this rule at least indicates reasonable soundness and intent when considering a play on an absentee runner.

EMD4ME
12-31-2014, 08:21 PM
Great rule for every track in North America. As a capper that has recency rules, this rule at least indicates reasonable soundness and intent when considering a play on an absentee runner.

As long as it's not the Penn clocker, documenting the work....

Stillriledup
12-31-2014, 08:28 PM
As long as it's not the Penn clocker, documenting the work....

oShTJ90fC34

EMD4ME
12-31-2014, 08:50 PM
oShTJ90fC34

:D :D :D