PDA

View Full Version : NFL WildCard weekend Jan 3 and 4, 2015.

Stillriledup
12-29-2014, 05:42 AM
2 lines out already, Carolina -4 vs Zona and Dallas -7 vs Detroit.

Zona much better record, but getting points? I guess they have no real QB now? Can you lay 4 pts with a team who isn't even .500? That's tough.

Dallas hitting on all cylinders....but, they're still Dallas and to lay 7 with the pressure on them is a hard sell for me. But i don't know enough to know if Detroit can hang with them, any thoughts on the weekend's games?

Secondbest
12-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Just heard on the radio that Suh may be suspended for stepping on Rogers.

cj's dad
12-29-2014, 02:55 PM

Carolina is hot - 4 in a row

Suh will be fined- suspension would be too harsh for a playoff game - maybe 1 game in 2015 reg season

RXB
12-29-2014, 02:57 PM

Justice is served. Can't believe Mike Pereira said he thought it was unintentional. Glad he's just on TV now instead of still working for the league.

MutuelClerk
12-29-2014, 03:05 PM
Suh is out. Caldwell is still a moron for challenging a play he was told he can't win. Then he goes off on a reporter after the game telling him to do his homework. HAHAHA only in Detroit. I think it's a prerequisite in hiring coaches to not know the rules in Lion land.

PhantomOnTour
12-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Steelers fans nervously await the diagnosis on Le'Veon Bell.
With him they should beat Baltimore - without him they will likely lose.

Tough break - tough sport

Robert Fischer
12-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Steelers fans nervously await the diagnosis on Le'Veon Bell.
With him they should beat Baltimore - without him they will likely lose.

Tough break - tough sport
I think they can do fine with a mix of Archer and Harris.

What I'm most worried about is if Bell's knee isn't stable and he tries to play anyway, and can't do anything.

Secondbest
12-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Steelers opened -3 1/2 bet down to-3 .Haven't almost all steeler raven games been decided by 3pts? To me this the best game to watch all weekend.

Dark Horse
12-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Line is between 3 and 3.5; as in Steelers -3 -120 and Ravens +3.5 -120. Ravens +3.5 has value, imo. I may take the Ravens to win the game SU as well.

Stillriledup
12-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Of course Suh is suspended, "they" want Dallas to advance, good for ratings. Good job guys!

burnsy
01-03-2015, 02:56 PM
I don't know about the Balt. vs. Pitt. game. Hard to gauge, but Pittsburg has key injuries vs. a pretty good defense. I can't pull the trigger though.

I will bet on Arizona though + 5 1/2. They play in the hardest division and even without a QB I think it will be close vs. the Panthers. The TV gurus are banking on Carolinas recent success which is all true but they have not beaten any teams like this. If Arizona's defense travels in the poor weather today, I think they can win, if not, it should be close enough to cover.

RXB
01-03-2015, 05:18 PM
That mistake by the Panthers' punt returner was one of the silliest errors I've seen. Cardinals really needed that.

RXB
01-03-2015, 05:44 PM
This is just an awful game. Atrocious punting by Arizona, the bad punt return error and missed short FG by Carolina, Lindley and Newton are making bad throws and not seeing open receivers, some dropped passes. I hope whoever wins this game enjoys it to the max because they're almost certainly out next week.

And as I type this, Newton throws it right to Cromartie. Right to him.

Stillriledup
01-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Embarrassing effort by Zona, they shot their load and fizzled out at the end, this was more of a zona blow up than a carolina win, how good can Car be, they're not even a .500 team.

One and done for Car, i'd be shocked if they won on the road.

Robert Fischer
01-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Silly silly call on a deep pass by the Steelers.

They call it no pass interference because it was "tangled feet".

and you hear Cris Collinsworth backing it up on the air "Oh yea, 'tangled feet', the ref wanted to throw the flag but he merely ran over the receivers legs..."

The defender was lost and didn't see the ball and essentially ran over the back of the legs of the receiver.

I wasn't aware that 'intent' mattered in pass interference, or that feet were open-season...

Stillriledup
01-03-2015, 10:11 PM
FLACCO!@ :ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer
01-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Looks like Baltimore will probably advance.

The missed 'tangled feet' call was a big momentum changer, but neither of these teams is really a deep playoff team.

Pittsburgh has been giving up key passes on defense to Baltimore all game, and it's been a weakness during the season.

horses4courses
01-03-2015, 10:32 PM

The missed 'tangled feet' call was a big momentum changer, but neither of these teams is really a deep playoff team.

Pittsburgh has been giving up key passes on defense to Baltimore all game, and it's been a weakness during the season.

The only team out of the eight playing this weekend with the potential
to go deep in the playoffs is Dallas. The emphasis is on the word "potential".

The top two seeds in each conference are ranked accordingly for a reason.

Stillriledup
01-04-2015, 02:20 AM
The only team out of the eight playing this weekend with the potential
to go deep in the playoffs is Dallas. The emphasis is on the word "potential".

The top two seeds in each conference are ranked accordingly for a reason.

Dallas can win TWICE in Seattle in one year (if it comes to that)?

burnsy
01-04-2015, 09:22 AM

I sort of disagree. I told my friend yesterday because he was betting the Steelers. The Ravens are the AFC version of the NY Giants. When they squeak in and get hot.....watch out. I liked the Ravens yesterday but I didn't think they would win that easily, so I backed off.....big mistake by me. Out of the 4 teams that played yesterday, they were by far the best. They should lose next week but I would not be surprised at all if they get all over Tom Brady and it gets sour at Gillette. Its happened twice before. Lets see what the spread is.

Secondbest
01-04-2015, 12:29 PM
They beat the Pats before up there they can do it again. Pats didn't finish playing well. Last game notwithstanding.Should be interesting.

Robert Fischer
01-04-2015, 05:11 PM
14-0 Detroit over Dallas...

thaskalos
01-04-2015, 05:12 PM
99.9-yard touchdown drive. :faint:

badcompany
01-04-2015, 05:40 PM
As a Giants fan, I'm enjoying watching the Cowboys stink the place up. :ThmbUp:

DRIVEWAY
01-04-2015, 06:57 PM
At the end of the 3rd quarter, Dallas is positioned to win.

The only problem is that Romo is still the QB.

Up to the challenge or Choke Number ###.

As a Giants fan, It's wait till next year. Will Dallas be soon saying the same thing?

Please interview Jerry Jones right after the game. Maybe he can teleconference with Jimmy Johnson. :lol:

Robert Fischer
01-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Please interview Jerry Jones right after the game. Maybe he can teleconference with Jimmy Johnson. :lol:

Big drive here. 8:25 left in the 4th quarter, Dallas ball, down 17-20.

DRIVEWAY
01-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Jerry is all smiles with his buddy (Chris Christie) at his side. Go Refs, no I mean Go Dallas. :lol:

Robert Fischer
01-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Jerry is all smiles with his buddy (Chris Christie) at his side. Go Refs, no I mean Go Dallas. :lol:

Dependable plays of the day:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2015/01/05/781e52d74e9c76f815f2f83facba8cbc.gif

tucker6
01-04-2015, 07:58 PM
bad officiating in that game.

tucker6
01-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Dependable plays of the day:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2015/01/05/781e52d74e9c76f815f2f83facba8cbc.gif
Never let it be said that the NFL is an honest game.

MutuelClerk
01-04-2015, 08:52 PM
I hope on June 14th the city of Detroit mails a card to the city of Dallas.

Stillriledup
01-04-2015, 09:46 PM

You mean the league might make more money if Dallas advances than Detroit?

SAY WHAT? :D

thaskalos
01-04-2015, 10:24 PM
The NFL. The best league money can buy.

Valuist
01-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Its Seattle vs NE or Denver. Doesn't matter. Come January, you'd better have a defense. And this is why those Colt teams with Manning only won one SB, and this Packers team won't make it there.

RXB
01-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Re: the picked-up flag, I thought the Detroit TE had his hand in the facemask of the Dallas LB a few strides earlier. Of course, if they'd called offsetting fouls Detroit would've still been in a 3rd down situation instead of 4th down. Oh well, just evened out the Suh appeal victory.

Seattle isn't a lock to win the NFC Championship game. The Seahawks are not quite as strong as last year, IMO. They're on a six-game winning streak but four of those victories were over teams using second-string/third-string QB's and the other two were vs. 8-8 San Fran. They should handle Carolina without much trouble but might be in for a shock to the system when they finally face a good team with a QB that can genuinely play.

cj
01-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Has the NFL given any explanation? Because that was the most obvious PI you could have, not to mention Dez should have gotten another 15 for running on the field without a helmet.

Rookies
01-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Has the NFL given any explanation? Because that was the most obvious PI you could have, not to mention Dez should have gotten another 15 for running on the field without a helmet.

Several have mentioned that idgit Bryant... says the guy who remembers Andre Reed in the SB!

RXB
01-04-2015, 11:18 PM
When Bryant ran out onto the field I thought he was going to get flagged.

I did find a clip that shows the rather obvious illegal use of hands by the Det TE. It's as flagrant as the subsequent contact by the Dallas LB.

https://vine.co/v/OdD5hWMBK2q

cj
01-04-2015, 11:23 PM
When Bryant ran out onto the field I thought he was going to get flagged.

I did find a clip that shows the rather obvious illegal use of hands by the Det TE. It's as flagrant as the subsequent contact by the Dallas LB.

But they didn't pick up a flag for no reason for illegal use of hands. That hands to the face happens ALL the time and is rarely called.

RXB
01-04-2015, 11:26 PM
But they didn't pick up a flag for no reason for illegal use of hands, which I don't think there is any such penalty anyway on a receiver. OPI, sure.

Oh yes, a receiver can be flagged for that if he isn't carrying the ball.

cj
01-04-2015, 11:29 PM
Oh yes, a receiver can be flagged for that if he isn't carrying the ball.

Yeah, you didn't mention hands to the face, I saw it when I watched the vid and edited. It doesn't change that there was ZERO reason for picking up the flag once it was thrown. Not flagging Dez was even worse, that is an obvious unsportsmanlike conduct.

RXB
01-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Dallas got the better of that particular exchange, obviously. Like I said before, even an offsetting fouls call would've left Detroit at 3rd and 1. But I think Suh should've been suspended so I don't feel sorry for Detroit.

Robert Fischer
01-05-2015, 01:59 AM
Has the NFL given any explanation? Because that was the most obvious PI you could have...
It was clearly pass interference.

I don't think it was cheating. I think it was simply incompetence.

The closest thing to an explanation that I've heard, is that the referees decided that the linebacker had in fact "legally face guarded" the receiver. That obviously wasn't the case.

Stillriledup
01-05-2015, 05:37 AM
It was clearly pass interference.

I don't think it was cheating. I think it was simply incompetence.

The closest thing to an explanation that I've heard, is that the referees decided that the linebacker had in fact "legally face guarded" the receiver. That obviously wasn't the case.

How bad would the incompetence have to be before you thought it was more than incompetence?

Robert Fischer
01-05-2015, 07:02 AM
How bad would the incompetence have to be before you thought it was more than incompetence?
More of a style thing, than a size thing.

Rookies
01-05-2015, 08:14 AM
NFL

NO
FREAKIMG
LIONS

:lol:

Clocker
01-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Should have had Ed Hochuli there to explain things.

NFL referee Pete Morelli has explained why a pivotal penalty flag against the Dallas Cowboys was overturned in their playoff win over the Detroit Lions.

There was widespread confusion and anger when what appeared to be a clear pass interference penalty on Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens with 8:25 left in the fourth quarter was reversed, even after Morelli announced it over the public address system.

No explanation was offered during the game, fueling the mystery.

After the game, Morelli said the penalty was overruled because a second official (who didn't throw the flag) with a better view felt that there wasn't enough contact to call a penalty. This official determined that Hitchens was face-guarding (which is not a penalty in the NFL), not interfering with Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew.

"The back judge threw his flag for defensive pass interference. We got other information from another official from a different angle that thought the contact was minimal and didn’t warrant pass interference," he told the pool reporter after the game. "He thought it was face-guarding."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-ref-explains-why-lions-033352068.html

cj
01-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Should have had Ed Hochuli there to explain things.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-ref-explains-why-lions-033352068.html

Better to be thought idiots than open their mouths and remove all doubt.

thaskalos
01-05-2015, 12:54 PM
"Face-guarding"? :D

That was as obvious a pass interference as we are ever likely to see.

cj
01-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Mike Pereira tries to defend the refs as often as possible, even he couldn't defend this one.

RXB
01-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Moving on to the game not yet discussed, Cincy didn't get a great pass rush but I thought they covered downfield quite well and Luck still picked them apart. When they did get some pressure he avoided it almost every time. And he threw the ball really well-- the deep TD throw to Moncrief while being tackled was sublime.

Question is, can the Colts' front office get the necessary support around Luck? Right now they have mediocre defence, running backs and (injury-riddled) offensive line so they have to lean on Luck, a good set of WR's & TE's and outstanding punting & kicking. (McAfee is making about $3 million/year and that's probably still a bargain considering the quality of his punts and kickoffs.)

horses4courses
01-05-2015, 01:34 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6lw8u-IcAA_YWi.jpg

burnsy
01-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Everybody remembers this awful call. But there were a few in all the games that were the exact opposite. Bad consistency like this is even worse than the bad call. A couple of very good defensive plays were called as "interference". If you make a good play for the ball and barely touch the guy.........there's a flag. If you are not even looking for the ball and the ball hits you in the process of bowling the receiver over.....the flag gets picked up.........go figure. :confused:

cj
01-05-2015, 02:19 PM
All this talk about the bad call, and I'd still argue the Lions deserved to lose the second they punted on fourth and 1 in Dallas territory.

horses4courses
01-05-2015, 02:24 PM
As always, it will all be forgotten a week from now.

The Cowboys will likely get their asses handed to them in GB.
Even if they don't, I doubt the refs will have much to do
with the outcome.

RXB
01-05-2015, 02:56 PM
As always, it will all be forgotten a week from now.

The Cowboys will likely get their asses handed to them in GB.
Even if they don't, I doubt the refs will have much to do
with the outcome.

What makes you think a team that went 8-0 on the road including a win over Seahawks will get their asses handed to them in Green Bay? Especially with Rodgers limping?

cj
01-05-2015, 02:58 PM
What makes you think a team that went 8-0 on the road including a win over Seahawks will get their asses handed to them in Green Bay? Especially with Rodgers limping?

The Giants didn't have much trouble in Green Bay in January lately.

horses4courses
01-05-2015, 03:00 PM

If Rodgers is healthy, GB wins.
The Packers aren't the greatest, you're right.
That's why they play the games.

RXB
01-05-2015, 03:02 PM
If Rodgers is healthy, GB wins.
The Packers aren't the greatest, you're right.
That's why they play the games.

Again, what makes you so certain? Green Bay didn't win any more games than Dallas, and the Cowboys are 8-0 on the road.

horses4courses
01-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Again, what makes you so certain? Green Bay didn't win any more games than Dallas, and the Cowboys are 8-0 on the road.

I don't like the Cowboys' chances in freezing Green Bay.
Their performance yesterday wasn't very inspiring, either.
That extra week of rest counts for a lot this time of year.

Hey, I'm wrong around 50% of the time....... ;)

rastajenk
01-05-2015, 03:14 PM
At least they're playing that one in the afternoon. I thought for sure they'd make it the Saturday night game after a week of sub-zero temps.

Stillriledup
01-05-2015, 03:41 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6lw8u-IcAA_YWi.jpg

Incredible. The most obvious PI you will ever see and not only that, but the guy took his helmet off and didn't get 15.

You cant throw the flag, announce the penalty and then change it.

banacek
01-05-2015, 04:44 PM
In the CFL playoffs in 2013 there was a blatant pass interference call missed which likely cost the team the game. This was the impetus to allow challenges for pass interference in 2014.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/08/cfl-approves-replay-of-pass-interference/

PhantomOnTour
01-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Pettigrew grabbed Hitchens' facemask before any defensive pass interference. Both guys committed a penalty on the play.
I would have been okay with a flag or a no flag, but have some conviction for Chrissakes!

To throw the flag, announce the penalty, and then pick up the flag is an abomination.

delayjf
01-05-2015, 05:41 PM
"Face-guarding"?

That was as obvious a pass interference as we are ever likely to see.

IMO - I don't think the call was as egregious as most here and here's why.

1st - Hitchens grabbing Pettigrew's Jersey was incidental, it was a quick 1 second grab that did not impede Pettigrew one bit. I saw that level of holding all day on both sides of the ball.

2nd-Face-guarding is legal in the NFL (its illegal in college) - as long as you not making contact with the receiver prior to the ball getting there. I think people are spring loaded to think when they see a defender with his back to the pass with his hands up, that it's automatically PI, it is not. I think I saw a similar play in the Pittsburg game where the defender had his back to the ball with his hands up - but not making contact, which was also not called. To me, here's the issue - "contact" is subjective in each and every game.

3rd - Pettigrew was grabbing Hitchens facemask during the route (Phantomontour, you stole my thunder but seeing is believing, see the video link below). So in a perfect world, it should have been off-setting penalties.

I thought the running into the kicker call was a bad call as he was pushed into the kicker by the blocker.

Stillriledup
01-05-2015, 05:44 PM
IMO - I don't think the call was as egregious as most here and here's why.

1st - Hitchens grabbing Pettigrew's Jersey was incidental, it was a quick 1 second grab that did not impede Pettigrew one bit. I saw that level of holding all day on both sides of the ball.

2nd-Face-guarding is legal in the NFL (its illegal in college) - as long as you not making contact with the receiver prior to the ball getting there. I think people are spring loaded to think when they see a defender with his back to the pass with his hands up, that it's automatically PI, it is not. I think I saw a similar play in the Pittsburg game where the defender had his back to the ball with his hands up - but not making contact, which was also not called. To me, here's the issue - "contact" is subjective in each and every game.

3rd - Pettigrew was grabbing Hitchens facemask during the route (see video link below). So in a perfect world, it should have been off-setting penalties.

I thought the running into the kicker call was a bad call as he was pushed into the kicker by the blocker.

But even offsetting, don't the Lions get another play on 3rd down?

delayjf
01-05-2015, 06:23 PM
They do, and who knows what would have happened. It still would have been 3rd and long.

Stillriledup
01-05-2015, 06:30 PM
They do, and who knows what would have happened. It still would have been 3rd and long.

Didnt they punt on 4th and 1? Wouldn't it have been 3rd and 1?

cj
01-05-2015, 06:37 PM

It would have been 3rd and 1.

Lets not forget this gem from August:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/7/5981381/dean-blandino-cowboys-party-bus-stephen-jones

Stillriledup
01-05-2015, 07:29 PM
It would have been 3rd and 1.

Lets not forget this gem from August:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/7/5981381/dean-blandino-cowboys-party-bus-stephen-jones

If the Cowboys get down and look like they're going to lose their next game, the NFL will "pull the plug" and start calling every penalty under the sun against them....that way, they can point to the boxscore and say "see, we don't favor them"

Oldest trick in the book.

Rookies
01-05-2015, 10:41 PM
Pettigrew grabbed Hitchens' facemask before any defensive pass interference. Both guys committed a penalty on the play.
I would have been okay with a flag or a no flag, but have some conviction for Chrissakes!

To throw the flag, announce the penalty, and then pick up the flag is an abomination.

Yep- correct.

But then how do you explain the Dez Idgit incident which apparently only happened in some parallel Jerry Jones dimension?

(Every Bills fans knows, as per SBXXVI with Andre Reed, the helmet goes off and it's a 15 Yard Personal Foul and 1st Down Lions.)

Stillriledup
01-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Even if you, as the refs, discuss it and determine its offsetting fouls, its still 3rd and 1 Detroit. Which Detroit would have taken in retrospect.

Its funny how the NFL is upset at NJ because they say sports betting will ruin the brand, or, something like that and here's Chris Christie yucking it up with Jerry Jones while the NFl is doing much more damage to their brand by this shady officiating.

If you're going to shady officiate, at least do it to benefit a smaller market team, than the conspiracy theorists will have nothing to hang their hat on.

delayjf
01-06-2015, 09:59 AM
But then how do you explain the Dez Idgit incident which apparently only happened in some parallel Jerry Jones dimension?

According to the Vice President of Officiating who was on the NFL Channel last night, its only an automatic penalty when a player on the field that's involved in the play removes his helmet to protest a call, officials have the discretion regarding players coming off the bench that protest a play.

thaskalos
01-06-2015, 10:09 AM
When popular sports become "Big Business", they cease to be pure sports. And when they cease to be pure sports...we see what we saw in the Detroit/Dallas game. As they say in Hollywood..."THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!"

cj
01-06-2015, 10:12 AM
According to the Vice President of Officiating who was on the NFL Channel last night, its only an automatic penalty when a player on the field that's involved in the play removes his helmet to protest a call, officials have the discretion regarding players coming off the bench that protest a play.

It isn't really the helmet, it is a guy that isn't on the field running out to the middle to protest a flag. Only in the crazy NFL is that not a penalty, helmet or no helmet.

tucker6
01-06-2015, 01:15 PM
yet that same official went on to say that he would have dinged Dez for 15 yards. A lot of cya in his quotes.

Stillriledup
01-06-2015, 09:02 PM
When popular sports become "Big Business", they cease to be pure sports. And when they cease to be pure sports...we see what we saw in the Detroit/Dallas game. As they say in Hollywood..."THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!"

Its always been not "pure sport" Its pro wrestling for the most part. That comment "insults" some people, but when the results are tainted by outside forces as to who's more popular or who might get better tv ratings, you cease to have a sport and what you have is a scripted reality show.

It is what it is....you couldn't have watched the Dall/Det game and come away with any other conclusion....well, unless you were born last night, which most of us were not.