PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip hot spots?

jballscalls
12-27-2014, 06:34 PM
Hey guys,

I'm taking a road trip from Portland down to Los Angeles and then over through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Louisiana.

Was wondering if you guys had any recommendations as far as any good restaurants to check out, sites to see, cool museums, stuff like that.

Will be on I-5 most of the way to LA then I-10 through phx, tucson, el paso, then over to dallas on 20 i think it is.

Hope everyone is having a nice holiday season!

Clocker
12-27-2014, 07:04 PM
I haven't been down that way in years, but there is a chain of restaurants in Mexico that has places in Tucson and Phoenix. They have Mexico City cuisine, which is different than the northern Mexico food that we get Americanized here. Very good food, at least back in the day. All the meats are grilled, and you can watch the tortillas being made.

http://www.laparrillasuiza.com/

johnhannibalsmith
12-27-2014, 07:42 PM
If the trip isn't for another month or so I'm pretty sure that Rillito Park in Tucson gets rolling first week in February for most of a couple months.

Clocker
12-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Turf Paradise in Phoenix is running now into early May.

Actor
12-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Hey guys,

I'm taking a road trip from Portland down to Los Angeles and then over through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Louisiana.

Was wondering if you guys had any recommendations as far as any good restaurants to check out, sites to see, cool museums, stuff like that.

Will be on I-5 most of the way to LA then I-10 through phx, tucson, el paso, then over to dallas on 20 i think it is.

Hope everyone is having a nice holiday season!SITES: Some I've seen. Some I haven't.

San Francisco is just full of must-sees: the Golden Gate Bridge, Fort Point, Alcatraz (now a National Park), the Presidio, Mission Delores, etc. I've been to SF three times, that last time for four days, and still did not take in all the sights.

In San Jose there is the famous (or infamous) Winchester house. Further south is San Simeon, A.K.A. Hurst Castle, made famous in the movie Citizen Kane.

If you take a northern route using I-40 you can see the Grand Canyon and the Meteor Crater at Winslow, AZ. I think these two should be on everyone's bucket list.

If considerations dictate the southern route I'd take in Tombstone, AZ which is south of Tucson. It's a tourist trap featuring replays of the Gunfight at OK Corral.

In Dallas I'd take in Dealey Plaza, site of the Kennedy assassination.

horses4courses
12-27-2014, 08:41 PM
What types of food do you like best?
I might have recommendations in Sacramento.

Tom
12-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a great adventure, Jason.
Culminating with a new life!

Enjoy every mile of it! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

RunForTheRoses
12-28-2014, 09:15 AM
The Getty Museum in Los Angeles is first rate:

http://www.getty.edu/museum/

This link may have some ideas for some good eats:

http://www.hollyeats.com/WestCoast.htm

This place could be fun to get F ed up in San Francisco, there's one in SD too:

http://www.toronado.com/

jballscalls
12-28-2014, 11:24 PM
What types of food do you like best?
I might have recommendations in Sacramento.

supposed to meet my buddy Frank Miramahdi for breakfast in SActo :) He told me he knows a spot!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Should be a fun trip!

jballscalls
12-28-2014, 11:28 PM
Sounds like a great adventure, Jason.
Culminating with a new life!

Enjoy every mile of it! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Excited and nervous at the same time. Part of the reason I stayed at Portland so long was I struggle with anxiety disorder and a big change kind of was intimidating.

My mom told me recently "son there's a whole big world out there, you just gotta go take the first step to see it."

cj's dad
12-29-2014, 10:56 AM
LA- go thru Iopqnga Canyon (nice view of LA)abd stop at Friggy's - uniquw place to have a meal and a drink. Some real characters in the place.

https://www.facebook.com/FroggysTopangaCanyonFishMarket

Phoenix- Majerle's- owned by ex NBA player Dan

Sundays

We show every NFL football game on Sundays, with drink specials all day long

http://www.majerles.com/wp-content/files_mf/downtown1.png

Majerle's Sports Grill
in Downtown Phoenix
24 North 2nd. Street Phoenix, Arizona 85004 Phone: (602) 253 - 0118 Fax: (602) 253 - 4003 Email: info@majerles.com Directions: Google Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Majerle%27s+Sports+Grill,+24+North+2nd+Stre et,+Phoenix,+Arizona+85004&hl=en&ll=33.448738,-112.071329&spn=0.010527,0.00986&sll=33.448738,-112.071319&sspn=0.021055,0.01972&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=17)

Temps- sports bar near the ASU campus- Irish name- place has an OTB

http://www.amdest.com/az/tempe/msb/mcduffy%27slogo.gif

McDuffy's Off Track Betting

http://www.amdest.com/images/fingers.gif 230 W. 5th St.
Tempe, AZ 85281
602.966.5600, Fax: 602.966.6582

jballscalls
12-29-2014, 08:55 PM
thanks Curtis, I'm gonna spend an extra day in Phoenix, so will look those up!

Mike at A+
12-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Hey guys,

The Mrs. and I just did an awesome road trip (I don't fly). Pennsylvania to Wytheville VA to Nashville, Little Rock, OKC, Tucumcari NM, Winslow AZ, Mojave CA, Sacramento, Sonoma Valley, SF, San Luis Obispo, San Diego, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Tucson, Las Cruces, Abilene, Dallas, Little Rock (again), Nashville (again), Radnor VA and back home. 32 days and 7,422 miles. West Coast highlights were definitely Sonoma, especially the Coppola Winery. While in Sacramento, we took a side trip north to Chico CA and the Sierra Nevada Brewery. Excellent restaurant and some very good beer on tap. SanFran was nice. We stopped for lunch at a "non-touristy" place called Swan that was recommended by a SF resident we met in Winslow AZ. Ventura Beach CA was a very classy place. San Diego was OUTSTANDING including Coronado Island. In Arizona, Winslow was nice. We saw the "corner" from the Eagles song "Take It Easy". Tucson was also fabulous with some really good Mexican restaurants. Las Cruces is a very historic little town worth checking out. Tucumcari is a bit run down but a nice place to spend a day.

horses4courses
12-29-2014, 09:30 PM
supposed to meet my buddy Frank Miramahdi for breakfast in SActo :) He told me he knows a spot!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Should be a fun trip!

Enjoy! :ThmbUp:

ReplayRandall
12-29-2014, 09:31 PM
Hey guys,

I have only one place for you to check out. Just north of San Fran is a place you'll never forget, it's where GOD lives.....Muir Woods.

jballscalls
12-29-2014, 10:44 PM
The Mrs. and I just did an awesome road trip (I don't fly). Pennsylvania to Wytheville VA to Nashville, Little Rock, OKC, Tucumcari NM, Winslow AZ, Mojave CA, Sacramento, Sonoma Valley, SF, San Luis Obispo, San Diego, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Tucson, Las Cruces, Abilene, Dallas, Little Rock (again), Nashville (again), Radnor VA and back home. 32 days and 7,422 miles. West Coast highlights were definitely Sonoma, especially the Coppola Winery. While in Sacramento, we took a side trip north to Chico CA and the Sierra Nevada Brewery. Excellent restaurant and some very good beer on tap. SanFran was nice. We stopped for lunch at a "non-touristy" place called Swan that was recommended by a SF resident we met in Winslow AZ. Ventura Beach CA was a very classy place. San Diego was OUTSTANDING including Coronado Island. In Arizona, Winslow was nice. We saw the "corner" from the Eagles song "Take It Easy". Tucson was also fabulous with some really good Mexican restaurants. Las Cruces is a very historic little town worth checking out. Tucumcari is a bit run down but a nice place to spend a day.

holy moly what a trip! I don't fly either. I used to be able to knock out 6 or 700 miles in a day, but anymore, i'm more of a 300 mile a day guy and see things along the way.

Boris
12-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Somewhere between Midland and Dallas, find a bakery that serves kolaches. I recommend the sausage, cheese, and jalapeno.

Mike at A+
12-30-2014, 09:56 AM
holy moly what a trip! I don't fly either. I used to be able to knock out 6 or 700 miles in a day, but anymore, i'm more of a 300 mile a day guy and see things along the way.
We averaged about 350/day when we drove. Some places we stayed multiple consecutive days like Nashville (2), Sacramento (3), Cotati (3), San Diego (3), Vegas (4) and Dallas (3). Our longest leg was Winslow, AZ to Mojave, CA (about 480 miles). By the way, DON'T stay in Mojave. It was just a convenient midway point for getting to Sacramento the next day. Mojave is kind of run down with not much to do. Shortest leg was Abilene, TX to Dallas, TX (about 180 miles). If you like steak, Lytle Land & Cattle in Abilene was great. For Mexican, El Charro in Tucson was the best Mexican food I've ever had. My wife hates Mexican food but loved it there. If you get to Albuquerque and like New York style pizza, Memo's was a big surprise. Outstanding pizza. I talked to the owner after we ate and told him that my wife and I are "pizza snobs", me from Brooklyn and she from Manhattan and that his pizza was surprisingly good. He then said "I'm gonna let you in on a little secret - I'm from The Bronx". Then it all made sense.

cj's dad
02-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Is the road trip over ?

wisconsin
02-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Is the road trip over ?

He's been calling the races at LaD for a couple of weeks now.

cj's dad
02-02-2015, 02:00 PM
I missed post #16

wisconsin
02-02-2015, 03:59 PM
I missed post #16

Apparently, so did I :blush:

iceknight
02-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is having a nice holiday season! saw this quite late, but if you are type who likes sharing some pics from the trip that would be awesome!

Did you look up the night sky in New Mexico? Did you get any tumbleweed giants roll across in Texas/NM/AZ?