PDA

View Full Version : CONTEST

gambler844
12-22-2014, 07:04 PM
How does one determine in what is the best contest to play.
Example

Contest A
$12 to enter
64 people in contest
1st pays $350
2nd pays $150
3rd pays $100
4th pays $75
5th pays $25

Contest B
$9 to enter
31 people in contest
1st pays $175
2nd pays $75

Which is the best contest to enter and why?

Thanks for any help
ed

davew
12-22-2014, 07:32 PM
some considerations-

what is the vig (cost lost for administration)
both close to 10% the bigger contest a little less, the smaller a little more

what percent entrants cash
the larger is close to 8% while the smaller is close to 7%

how much of pool does winner get
small contest is 70% while large contest is 50%

the above is minor compared to ->
is the contest compatible to your current methods
or can you adjust to a method that can win

If not and you are going to lose ->the $9 contest will cost you less than $12 contest - if you want to prorate it for hours of entertainment, lengths need to be considered.

gambler844
12-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks Davew

taxicab
12-22-2014, 11:03 PM
It looks like the combined entry fees are $21.
Speaking as the true degenerate that I am.
Play em both. :ThmbUp:

ten2oneormore
12-23-2014, 11:38 AM
I would pick the tournament with the most top heavy payouts.

ReplayRandall
12-23-2014, 12:24 PM
If the contest races were the same in both, (A) would have a higher par score to cash than (B), and if two players had bankrolls of $108, then Player (A) would play in 9 contests and player (B) would play in 12. For the money outlay, it looks preferable to play in 3 more contests for overall entertainment value.

gambler844
12-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks to all.

Robert Fischer
12-23-2014, 09:39 PM
How does one determine in what is the best contest to play.
Example

Contest A
$12 to enter
64 people in contest
1st pays $350
2nd pays $150
3rd pays $100
4th pays $75
5th pays $25

Contest B
$9 to enter
31 people in contest
1st pays $175
2nd pays $75

Which is the best contest to enter and why?

Thanks for any help
ed

I don't know. I can't see enough into the individual contests, and the rules and the participants.

If it were a situation with equal competition, then I would play neither.

If I thought the game were skill-based, and that I was one of the better players, I would play contest "A" for the higher prize, and greater number of prizes.

ReplayRandall
12-23-2014, 11:41 PM
If I thought the game were skill-based, and that I was one of the better players, I would play contest "A" for the higher prize, and greater number of prizes.

Now that would be a real stretch for you, JK...:cool:

Happy Holidays!

AlanBaze
12-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I believe there are some very skilled players in these tournaments. Often it is the same people winning tournaments. I find it hard to believe these same people are just lucky!

ReplayRandall
12-25-2014, 11:25 AM
I believe there are some very skilled players in these tournaments. Often it is the same people winning tournaments. I find it hard to believe these same people are just lucky!

I'm going to give you the following scenario about the same people winning Tournaments:

I've been friends with many well financed horseplayers for over 30 years. Some live in Kentucky, others live in New York, Florida, California, Louisiana, and Canada. All these players know their home-tracks like the back of their hand. We all share info from time to time as a way of everyone staying ahead of the game. We noticed the proliferation of tourneys started to really take hold around 2005. As we talked with each other about this phenomenon, we came to the conclusion, that if we marshaled our experience and finances together, we might have a very lucrative investing vehicle on our hands. Even with tourney restrictions of only 2 entries per person, there were 6 of us with a combined blended power of 12 entries.

Now think about our possible success rate in this endeavor. No buy-in requirement prices us out, and in every tourney we are a "collective" favorite. We are "live" in every tourney we play, having all longshot scenarios covered. How can you stop us since no one knows of our collective agreement? Over the last 9 years, each of us ends up by randomness of seeing our names atop the leaderboards of many tourneys. The same 6 names keep reappearing over and over. Everyone believes most of us are the elite of the tourney circuit. BTW, we aren't the only "group" who has this arrangement. Are we all ahead for this investment?......Does it matter in this stage of our retirement years?.......Bottom-line, we are having the greatest time of our horse-playing lives.....

horses4courses
12-25-2014, 12:15 PM

That's me :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
12-25-2014, 12:31 PM

Betting $21 doesn't make you a "degenerate". You are going to have to try a lot harder than that if you want to be admitted to our club. :)

ReplayRandall
12-25-2014, 05:38 PM
That's me :ThmbUp:

Has nothing to do with the tournament or $21. H4C, you're just simply by definition, a complete degenerate........Happy Holidays....