PDA

View Full Version : Taris

ronsmac
12-22-2014, 12:42 PM
I meant to bring this up last month. Was anyone else surprised that she didn't run in the f&m sprint? I thought she layed over the field.

cj
12-22-2014, 12:48 PM
I meant to bring this up last month. Was anyone else surprised that she didn't run in the f&m sprint? I thought she layed over the field.

Here were Beattie's comments after the race:

http://www.keeneland.com/racing/keeneland-barn-notes-oct-19

Didn't she go through the sales right around that time? I know that doesn't preclude running in the BC, but after her last effort, her value was probably at a high point already.

Yes, she did, found it:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88560/callaghan-purchases-speedy-taris-for-235m

I'll be curios to see how she runs "Beattie off". I hate to be skeptical, but it makes you wonder when a guy with his reputation wants no parts of the Breeders Cup and then sells her.

cj
12-22-2014, 12:51 PM
These are her lifetime PPs via TimeformUS:

ronsmac
12-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Here were Beattie's comments after the race:

http://www.keeneland.com/racing/keeneland-barn-notes-oct-19

Didn't she go through the sales right around that time? I know that doesn't preclude running in the BC, but after her last effort, her value was probably at a high point already.

Yes, she did, found it:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88560/callaghan-purchases-speedy-taris-for-235m

I'll be curios to see how she runs "Beattie off". I hate to be skeptical, but it makes you wonder when a guy with his reputation wants no parts of the Breeders Cup and then sells her.Good point.

TonyK@HSH
12-23-2014, 07:27 AM
I'll be curios to see how she runs "Beattie off". I hate to be skeptical, but it makes you wonder when a guy with his reputation wants no parts of the Breeders Cup and then sells her.

We will see Friday

classhandicapper
12-23-2014, 09:10 AM
We will see Friday

That's an interesting race.

She's very fast, but there's a ton of speed in the race. It should be a pretty good test for her.

taxicab
12-26-2014, 01:00 AM
Very interesting purchase.
Coolmore slapped down 2.3 million for this one.
Coolmore not only does quite well on the track, but they are the most successful breeding outfit in the world.
So they are also thinking broodmare down the road.
I would imagine Taris vetted out like a champ otherwise the Irish bunch don't get near her.
As CJ hinted at Trainer Beattie has a less than squeaky clean reputation,so the Coolmore horseflesh types must of really liked what they saw.
In a bit of an eye opener Taris was placed in the barn of young English trainer Simon Callaghan.
Coolmore has never had much luck with horses based in the United States(only doing well with stock sent over from Europe).
They have sent a few young horses to Bob Baffert, and placed some high priced private purchases in the Pletcher barn with limited success.
If trainer Simon can make some noise with Taris he might receive some very nice runners from the Ballydoyle yard in the future, which would be a huge boost to his career.

Ocala Mike
12-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Will try to beat her with the :3: , Thank You Marylou (Ramsey/Maker).

letswastemoney
12-26-2014, 05:22 PM
I don't know if I'll bet, but I'm slightly interested in Stonetastic.

I'm a bit skeptical the track was speed favoring during the F/M Sprint considering closers dominated the finish.

Tom
12-26-2014, 05:32 PM
I'll take :10: JoJo Warrior.
I do not trust figs from Kee- I ignore all races run there and have for years.
Dirt or Poly - I have no faith in anything they run.

Robert Fischer
12-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Looks like a nice underlay today.

JimG
12-26-2014, 05:50 PM
FWIW, I have 1-7-3 in this race.

Jim

Robert Fischer
12-26-2014, 05:57 PM
i bet :3: and :10: to win in the La Brea S.

Robert Fischer
12-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Nope, I was wrong.

Taris did in fact carry her form forward, and was much the best in defeat.

Dark Horse
12-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Taris did in fact carry her form forward, and was much the best in defeat.

Nope, I was wrong.

Took the liberty to edit that for you.

Following a slow start, the odds-on favorite had a clean trip and failed to win in spite of a four length lead in the stretch on a speed-favoring track.

Robert Fischer
12-26-2014, 06:41 PM

Following a slow start, the odds-on favorite had a clean trip and failed to win in spite of a four length lead in the stretch on a speed-favoring track.

If we always agreed, this would be much less fun. :ThmbUp:

cj
12-26-2014, 07:09 PM

I tend to agree, she obviously ran well, but some are making her out as the next Safely Kept or Xtra Heat, I don't see it yet.

Robert Fischer
12-26-2014, 07:30 PM
I tend to agree, she obviously ran well, but some are making her out as the next Safely Kept or Xtra Heat, I don't see it yet.
No, she is nothing amazing.

I'm not comparing her to great horses.

What I am saying is that when we look at her performance vs. the La Brea field today, that we will say "hey, Taris ran significantly better than the 9-Sam's Sister.

Or maybe we won't..., and I'll have an unpopular opinion. Won't be the first time.

cj
12-26-2014, 07:34 PM
No, she is nothing amazing.

I'm not comparing her to great horses.

What I am saying is that when we look at her performance vs. the La Brea field today, that we will say "hey, Taris ran significantly better than the 9-Sam's Sister.

Or maybe we won't..., and I'll have an unpopular opinion. Won't be the first time.

Actually, most I'm seeing are saying she was much the best.

I like to be contrarian, especially with horses everyone will bet. I think the slow start is being trumped up more than it should be. The chute/rail camera angle can be deceptive. She was a step slow. When I see a horse blow a lead like that, I immediately think distance limitations. She'll do great at six furlongs, but seven is pushing it in my opinion.

Robert Fischer
12-26-2014, 07:42 PM
I thought Taris ran fairly fast fractions, and Sam's Sister picked up the pieces late.

I didn't want Taris today, and I don't want her any time in the future. Her value plays have past.

Rex Phinney
12-26-2014, 10:32 PM
She needed the rider to get his head out. If he keeps her relaxed for 100 more feet turning for home then she wins for fun. She ran good enough to win. With all that speed in there the rider should have not tried to open up in the stretch like he did.

Use enough horse to cover the speed and no more.

plainolebill
12-27-2014, 01:21 AM
I thought she was up against it today. Rail post, running against probably the quickest fillies she'd ever faced but she ran lights out.

RXB
12-27-2014, 01:28 AM
Fast early fractions in that race and contested, too. Taris won big in both of her two previous 7f tries so I don't think the distance is a problem. She romped gate-to-wire in the 7f Raven Run on a day when the other early leaders in dirt races were getting buried.

Her pedigree suggests California dirt surfaces might not be ideal.

Speed Figure
12-27-2014, 01:50 AM
She did seem prime for a bounce! last race was 13 points higher then the 2nd race back and the race was on ploy! her dirt numbers were right in line with the others.

Dark Horse
12-27-2014, 02:45 AM
If that's a Baffert horse everyone agrees it's a one-dimensional speed. And rightly so, imo.

classhandicapper
12-27-2014, 09:42 AM
I thought Taris was much the best, but being much the best of Sam's Sister and Thank You Marylou at this stage in their development does not necessarily make Taris special. It makes her very good.

I think she easily gets 7F on raw ability, but under quality stress she may be better at 6F and last.

forced89
12-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Coolmore should have left her with Todd Beattie.

cj
12-27-2014, 01:39 PM
TimeformUS Speed Figures for the race, Taris 110, Sam's Sister 102. I think that is a pretty good representation of what happened.

That said, if they met under the same conditions, which would you want, Taris at 3-5 or Sam's Sister at 6-1?

GatetoWire
12-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Taris injured her ankle in the race yesterday and is going to miss some time

http://www.drf.com/news/taris-out-first-half-2015-ankle-injury

Rex Phinney
12-27-2014, 02:42 PM
TimeformUS Speed Figures for the race, Taris 110, Sam's Sister 102. I think that is a pretty good representation of what happened.

That said, if they met under the same conditions, which would you want, Taris at 3-5 or Sam's Sister at 6-1?

I'll still take Taris, assuming she gets a real big time rider like Mike Smith or Gary Stevens.

cj
12-27-2014, 02:47 PM
I'll still take Taris, assuming she gets a real big time rider like Mike Smith or Gary Stevens.

At a tenth of the odds, I wouldn't, but that is what makes this a great game.

letswastemoney
12-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Future Taris races will probably be nice to watch without any wager. Her talent seems too good to be confident going against unless the race is loaded with speed.

RunDustyRun
12-27-2014, 06:44 PM
not surprised to see this filly injured and having surgey...as a SoCal better, I have seen too many Callaghan horses work fast and end up on the shelf...his horses are usually good for one or two good races off the bench and then they decline.....baffling why Zetcher and now Coolmore place talented horses w/ him....we'll see how Firing Line ends up but I'm wary

cj
12-27-2014, 06:50 PM
not surprised to see this filly injured and having surgey...as a SoCal better, I have seen too many Callaghan horses work fast and end up on the shelf...his horses are usually good for one or two good races off the bench and then they decline.....baffling why Zetcher and now Coolmore place talented horses w/ him....we'll see how Firing Line ends up but I'm wary

You know he just got her, right?

RunDustyRun
12-27-2014, 07:45 PM
absolutely I do...don't need to be patronized...have followed Callaghan for the last three years, and most if not all of his stock work fast, fire first and second time out with him as the trainer (and Taris was definitely ready) and then flame out never to be a factor again

forced89
12-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Like I said "should have left her with Todd Beattie".

classhandicapper
12-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Given she got injured, I guess the jury is still out on how good she is.

cj
12-28-2014, 06:01 PM
absolutely I do...don't need to be patronized...have followed Callaghan for the last three years, and most if not all of his stock work fast, fire first and second time out with him as the trainer (and Taris was definitely ready) and then flame out never to be a factor again

I didn't mean it that way, sorry.

No Jet Lag running today at Santa Anita certainly fits the mold.

RunDustyRun
12-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Not a problem...likely frustration because after three years of SoCal betting, I can no longer bet there thanks to the Mid Atlantic dispute...

And yes, No Jet Lag fits this trainer's pattern, along with the likes of Bajan, Fashion Plate, Belle Royale and others...just think the guy overworks his stock...in the case of Ontology, he pulled a classic Jacobson move and dropped a classy horse in for a low level claim, and while the horse won on pure heart, the claim was voided because he was unsound...

cj
12-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Not a problem...likely frustration because after three years of SoCal betting, I can no longer bet there thanks to the Mid Atlantic dispute...

And yes, No Jet Lag fits this trainer's pattern, along with the likes of Bajan, Fashion Plate, Belle Royale and others...just think the guy overworks his stock...in the case of Ontology, he pulled a classic Jacobson move and dropped a classy horse in for a low level claim, and while the horse won on pure heart, the claim was voided because he was unsound...

Same happened with No Jet Lag, claim was voided yesterday for same reason.

RunDustyRun
12-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Same happened with No Jet Lag, claim was voided yesterday for same reason.

didn't know that, thanks...and yet the horse had two blistering 5 furlong works prior to the race -- 59.6 and 59.8...makes you wonder if he takes after the name of one of his better former horses...Slim Shady

Tall One
12-29-2014, 02:53 PM
didn't know that, thanks...and yet the horse had two blistering 5 furlong works prior to the race -- 59.6 and 59.8...makes you wonder if he takes after the name of one of his better former horses...Slim Shady

A workout audition..

Fast move or two in the morning that says the horse & drop are on the up and up....until said horse is in your barn. Or, in this case at least, before that even happens. :ThmbDown:

GatetoWire
12-29-2014, 04:50 PM
No Jet Lag was retired today

Rex Phinney
12-29-2014, 07:33 PM
I haven't had much faith in Callaghan since he was given Jaycito and went about totally guessing at what the horse needed. In the short time he had the horse he did things with him that just built up the sense that he didn't know what the horse needed/ wanted.

Rex Phinney
12-29-2014, 07:41 PM
At a tenth of the odds, I wouldn't, but that is what makes this a great game.

Fair enough, you've probably cashed way more bets than I ever will so I'll keep this in mind. I can say though being there Friday she was moving like a very special animal.

I just think Mike Smith or even Martin Garcia would fit her better.

I feel like Bejarano was making up for a prior error. If you go back to the first race he was on the :7: I think. Seemed to have plenty of horse to win the race and waited at the top of the stretch while others put a half length on his mount. The horse was full of run to the end but couldn't make up the head start the others had on him.

Fast forward 5 races and he lets Taris go before they hit the stretch and even though they had the other speed covered. Like I said if he keeps her relaxed another 100 feet she wins easy.

Leaves you feeling the talent of the horse exceeded the jockey or the trainer. Just my opinion.