PDA

View Full Version : any business people take credit card transactions...need some advice...

sammy the sage
12-17-2014, 07:26 AM
Have been using Global w/Total Merchant Services doing the processing...everything was really smooth at lower costs for awhile...now NOT SO much...plus local rep...has turned unhelpful/non-responsive....and the 800 help line...forget about it....20,30, + min. waits...often getting disconnected right in the middle of it...

Ok...enough rants...just need to get a new provider...web reviews are MOSTLY bought and paid ads....very tough to get an honest answer...

Oh...as far as other local business's....they are getting taken to the cleaner's on their processing fees...and what's absolutely AMAZING...many don't care...I'm in the WRONG racket...so that means one cannot find anyone locally to refer...OUCH

So...does anybody got a processing company they're happy w/???

TJDave
12-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Credit or debit?

Dave Schwartz
12-17-2014, 10:58 AM
We use PayPal. Fees are reasonable. They also seem to be fair in disputes.

Not exactly sure what you are looking for beyond that.

HUSKER55
12-17-2014, 11:15 AM
just a thought and not necessarily a good one.....

I use a small local bank and the amount of services they provide their customers for free and the ones they offer for a fee might surprise you.

One of our friends does a lot of yard sales and markets and she uses that phone app card swiper and the bank helped her. I don't know the details but she is happy.

Would be worth a phone call. Worst they can do is say no. They might know which one works best in your area. Might not but if you don't ask how would you know.

I know I have a small bank and they spoil us seniors rotten. (as if you couldn't tell)

But a call couldn't hurt.

_______
12-17-2014, 04:24 PM
I can't offer any help but am amazed that after looking at this thread earlier today, there was a banner ad for "top 5 card processors" when I returned to look at responses just now.

davew
12-17-2014, 05:19 PM
I think it depends on how much volume you do and what your lowest charges are.

PAYPAL is great for internet stuff, not sure how it would work if you had a coffee shop.

TJDave
12-17-2014, 05:26 PM
If I had a coffee shop I'd first adjust my pricing and then offer a discount for cash.

sammy the sage
12-17-2014, 07:08 PM
thanks for thoughts...further clarification...

phone card swipes...are basically at 2.75% flat rate...no extra charges...

the business is 99% walk-in traffic at 2%...even w/all the extra BS charges tacked on...too lengthy to discuss...typical...locals and most small are at 3%+...

at a min. of sales of 250k in credit & debit transactions...every .025% adds up quickly...(sadly...used to be 3x's that...but that's another story)

by the way...we don't do internet sales...but they are easily DOUBLE the %'s discussed due to fraud/risk factors......

again...thanks for thoughts...am looking forward to reading/hearing about any more...I know one of the regulars here has a large restaurant business...forget who now...perhaps they'll chime in...at this point...willing to pay a little more for the CS aspect of it...

JustRalph
12-17-2014, 07:27 PM
What's the yearly sales volume? You can PM me that if you want.....

Tom
12-17-2014, 10:07 PM
I think that the Sony incident, on top of all the others the last year make it clear - the net will never be secure period.
tick toc, tick toc, tick toc.

sammy the sage
12-18-2014, 07:14 AM
ah yes....Just Ralph....did post the sales volume...currently......250k in credt/debit transactions yearly....not much as used to be...

JustRalph
12-18-2014, 12:37 PM
ah yes....Just Ralph....did post the sales volume...currently......250k in credt/debit transactions yearly....not much as used to be...

That's enough to interest a local provider. I might talk to my banker. Especially if this business is a one off. Lots of local providers gave up on this business a while back, but if you can find one, it might be worth it. It's also nice to be able to call or visit someone locally when there is a problem.

I've been through this a few times. We use a national company that is technically owned by Visa if I remember right. But in the past we have used local providers that gave great discounts based on volume. The higher volume, the better the discount of course.