PDA

View Full Version : Quinn

Stanman
12-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Can I read these books on line from a tablet or do I have to order the book itself. I want to read the condition book.
Thanks Stanman

thaskalos
12-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Are you in a hurry...or is it that you want the book for free?

Krudler
12-15-2014, 01:29 AM
Formatting issues are holding up the book's Kindle release. Don't hold your breath waiting for the issues to get sorted. This message has been on the Amazon site for well over a year.

thaskalos
12-15-2014, 01:58 AM
Handicapping books don't transfer well to kindle; the past performance charts are illegible. You are better off with the actual book.

Krudler
12-15-2014, 02:36 AM
It's a good point, Thaskalos. While some formats allow you to zoom in on PPs or charts contained in ebooks (PDFs for example), it is still a nuisance.

MJC922
12-15-2014, 06:24 AM
On this subject I will say Kindle for PC works wonderfully well. For example I typically prefer hard copy and bought Precision but strained to read the font (my eyes aren't bad either). So, I returned the hardcover and re-ordered it as a Kindle book. On my PC monitor using the kindle app I'm able to enlarge the font, set the background to black with white text, expand the number of words per line and the screenshots with the app configured like this are both clear and large.

Robert Goren
12-15-2014, 06:43 AM
On this subject I will say Kindle for PC works wonderfully well. For example I typically prefer hard copy and bought Precision but strained to read the font (my eyes aren't bad either). So, I returned the hardcover and re-ordered it as a Kindle book. On my PC monitor using the kindle app I'm able to enlarge the font, set the background to black with white text, expand the number of words per line and the screenshots with the app configured like this are both clear and large.Yes it does, but who wants to sit at a computer desk to read a book.

MJC922
12-15-2014, 06:49 AM
Yes it does, but who wants to sit at a computer desk to read a book.

Haha, I agree but in this case I couldn't have done it any other way so choose your poison. Works just as good with a laptop btw.

ldiatone
12-15-2014, 12:30 PM
reading a book now on my new tablet and i like it 2 pages on the screen at the same time. nice lettering. can either stand it up on the keyboard or hold it by hand. Plus the book was 1/2 price on line using kindle.

Tom
12-15-2014, 03:51 PM
I bought a pair of 4X magnifying readers.....works great on all my books.
Don't look at your cat though, it will scare the bejesus out of you! :D

Dave Schwartz
12-15-2014, 08:55 PM
I have been trying to get Pct & Probs into a Kindle book for some time. It is a lot of work.

Easy if the original was designed for a Kindle.

As Thaskalos says, the big problem is screen width.

MJC922
12-15-2014, 09:11 PM
Yeah the standard Kindle e-reader being essentially the size of a small paperback just doesn't work well for most handicapping books. A book with past performances would've been better suited to the larger form factor Kindle DX they recently discontinued. It shouldn't be too bad on a full 9.7 ipad though. I read Crist's exotic book on the iPad mini and Speed to Spare (Cardello)... lot's of zooming. I found it ironic that the Kindle app running on the ipad mini was able to display the images better on zoom to full than the Kindle itself was able to.

Stanman
12-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks everybody. I think I will buy it.

BettinBilly
12-18-2014, 07:05 AM
Agreed with the above 100%. For years, I have tried to stop ordering hard copy books and only do Kindle. No problem except for "Text" books with charts and graphs. It's a total PITA and does not work well at all. Unfortunately, hard copy printed books are a far better choice when it comes to Handicapping books.

I also have a Barnes and Noble "Nook" TABLET and that's not too bad being Android Based. I do have a few Handicapping books on that device and the "PINCH-AND-ZOOM" function is do-able on the charts and graphs that those books contain. So I assume a Kindle "Fire" would not be too bad either.

The problem really comes to fruition when the author keeps referring to the chart or graph within the printed text, and you have to go back and forth between the text and the chart and back to the text over and over again. This just doesn't work well with an electronic reader. It's far better with printed text.

cutchemist42
12-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Not Kindle, but I bought another Quinn book on Google play and it was missing all the graphs on the PC. However, the graphs were on the Android app on my phone. Got my refund for the book while still having access to it so yeah, I think translation is not always perfect.

Tom
12-30-2014, 10:42 PM
I have Kindle Reader on my PC - what a waste of time!
Make a PDF - enough with this so-called technology.
All fluff and no stuff. :ThmbDown: