PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft unusual sign in activity email

badcompany
12-14-2014, 04:18 PM
I've gotten two of these, recently. I had to verify my info to gain access to my account.

Has this been a common occurance lately?

Dave Schwartz
12-14-2014, 04:58 PM
May I suggest that you post which MS login you are referring to? There are so many programs.

wilderness
12-14-2014, 05:22 PM
badcompany,
Are you viewing the emails in html?

It's a common virus practice to use html, which results in showing one URL, however underneath the syntax is an entirely different URL.

It's been my practice for nearly two decades to view email headers to determine whether the URL is valid on these types of emails.

After a while, you'll easily learn when most are phony and not even be required to view the headers.

DJofSD
12-15-2014, 09:52 AM
I've gotten two of these, recently. I had to verify my info to gain access to my account.

It smells like a phishing expedition, see:
http://www.onlinethreatalerts.com/article/2014/5/7/hotmail-unusual-sign-in-activity-fake-email-and-phishing-scam/

Mystic
12-17-2014, 03:34 PM
You can usually go to your account settings and view your sign in activity. I currently am showing about 4 countries at any given time or day trying to hack into my account.

whodoyoulike
12-17-2014, 06:39 PM

This doesn't sound legit (or good). Be careful, I wouldn't respond.

badcompany
12-17-2014, 07:37 PM
This doesn't sound legit (or good). Be careful, I wouldn't respond.
This is the email.

My account was blocked. I had to get a security code, which was sent to me via phone, to get back in.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/afd89300ca4d7498d9bbed0a576e082f_zps22b4fc28.jpg

Mystic
12-17-2014, 07:50 PM
You can usually go to your account settings and view your sign in activity. I currently am showing about 4 countries at any given time or day trying to hack into my account.

Thailand and Brazil tried today.

whodoyoulike
12-17-2014, 08:47 PM
This is the email.

My account was blocked. I had to get a security code, which was sent to me via phone, to get back in.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/afd89300ca4d7498d9bbed0a576e082f_zps22b4fc28.jpg

After you logged in did you review your recent activity?

I wouldn't log-in except on a device which allowed you entry without that warning then you should review your recent activity. While logged in, I would use the contact system admin link to find out if something is wrong.

tupper
12-18-2014, 02:13 AM
Before you "verified" your account, did you try to login to your account with another computer (or with a live OS)? It's always a good idea to have a live CD/USB handy.

You might try logging-in from another computer (or from a live OS) now and see what happens.

Hope you haven't been pwnd.

badcompany
12-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Before you "verified" your account, did you try to login to your account with another computer (or with a live OS)? It's always a good idea to have a live CD/USB handy.

You might try logging-in from another computer (or from a live OS) now and see what happens.

Hope you haven't been pwnd.

Nah, apparently it was really Microsoft. I was never asked for any personal info, and I have recently signed in from a different pc.

Thanks for the help, everyone.