PDA

View Full Version : for So Cal Fan

smf
04-19-2001, 02:36 AM
Since you're a daily track goer, thought you may know this trainer or her horses. The link is below if you're interested. We've lost so many qualty stables to AP in the past 12 months I'm hoping the newcomers will pick up the slack.

Art Sherman's son (No Cal) is also at LS now w/ about a half dozen or so claimed horses. He chalked his first win last weekend here. Hopefully he has an owner that will help keep Asmussen honest w/ his 'spotting' of his runners (fat chance). Goodness knows Steve's having his own way here right now w/ little worry about his stable being picked clean.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/horse/342803_19westcol.html

so.cal.fan
04-19-2001, 11:48 AM
I don't know her personally, smf. I know who she is.
Sure do wish her luck, but I wish these people would stop shipping our horses out of state!
We are losing claiming horses left and right, many going back to tracks where they have slot racing, big purses for cheap horses.
Can't blame them, but it sure is depleting our supply of horses here in So. Calif.
I hear your announcer every so often, Mike Wrona. Sure do miss him at Hollywood Park! We want him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smf
04-19-2001, 02:13 PM
About Wrona, he'll be the FG race caller next year. He's under contract w/ LS still so he'll call the QH races in the fall, take some time off, then begin at FG in January. Glad to see him back in the big leagues.

I used to cringe when I heard his voice. After a few days of hearing him at LS, I came to appreciate his talent. He's very good, I agree.

I empathize with Cal's problems. Sounds like the political powers aren't helping racing out there any, that's for sure. Kinda dovetails into the Playboy thread going....Nice to have the pols working for you, not against you.

With Louisiana getting slots at all their tracks, it's just a matter of time until Texas tracks have the same troubles Cal tracks have.

Druther
04-19-2001, 03:23 PM
SMF

I have to agree with you about Wrona. He first showed up in So Cal when HOL wanted to "distinguish" itself from SA and wouldn't re-hire Denman (who did call HOL for a few years).

Wrona was the replacement. I couldn't stand his calls at first - and was probably biased over the Denman thing - but he grows on you.

By the time he motored up to No Cal, Wrona was a fixture. Anytime you folks back "east" tire of him, I'm one Californian who'll gladly have him back. Accent and all.

ceejay
04-19-2001, 05:25 PM
I just don't think that Wrona "works" in the Big D, especially in the QH meet. Don't get me wrong, I think that he is talented I just don't think that LS is the right venue for him.

But hey, it could be worse. They could try to hire Terry Wallace away from Oaklawn. (How do you say "goober"?)

smf
04-19-2001, 06:54 PM
Ceejay,

He didn't quite "fit in" at first but the crowd has taken to him more and more. The more experienced attendees are coming around to Wrona's "greatness" so to speak.

You're right about the QH meet. The few times I went to LS during the fall was to bet on HOU (can't phone in wagers on tx tracks here) it seemed much different as to how the crowd accepted his work. The clientele is much different at QH races, and I don't think that particular crowd is as appreciative of Wrona as the t-bred crowd is.

I think part of the problem (when Wrona first came here) was that Dooley was such a good fit and he was the only announcer we'd ever had. The regular attendees were used to Dooley and he was perfect for what LS was trying to get at that position when they began; An accurate caller that connected with the crowd on a semi- personable level. Made you feel at home, so to speak.

Wrona is an excellent caller. I know he's not long for LS and I'll miss his accuracy. FG is getting a good one.