PDA

View Full Version : Senate Report: CIA saved lives, weakened Al Qaeda

Clocker
12-11-2014, 01:06 AM
Just in case anyone missed this, because I'm sure it was on all the network news shows.

Senate Intelligence Committee Republicans took a strikingly different tone from their Democratic colleagues Tuesday on the CIA’s detention program, hailing it for saving American lives and playing an important role in weakening Al Qaeda.

The report, issued by the committee’s outgoing senior Republican, Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, stands in stark contrast to Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein’s (D-Calif.) highly critical findings asserting that the CIA misled the public, Congress and the White House about its enhanced interrogation program.

“We have no doubt that the CIA’s detention program saved lives and played a vital role in weakening Al Qaeda while the program was in operation,” the Republican senators concluded.

The GOP report decried the Feinstein study, arguing that it contained “faulty analysis, serious inaccuracies, and misrepresentations of fact” to create a series of false conclusions about the counterterrorism program’s effectiveness and the CIA’s interactions with Congress and the White House.

The authors accused Democrats of failing to be objective when compiling their findings and for harboring “political motivations” in their review, criticisms they said some intelligence officials have also leveled. The Republicans also lamented that the report’s commission cost U.S. taxpayers $40 million.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/gop-senators-defend-cia-alternate-report-113434.html#ixzz3LZBWu5U8

thaskalos
12-11-2014, 01:44 AM
They praise the effectiveness of the CIA detention program...but they downplay the emphasis on the CIA interrogation tactics. All of a sudden..."The most important capability this program provided had nothing to do with enhanced interrogation". :rolleyes: They say this even though these enhanced interrogation techniques were the very FOCUS of the Feinstein study.

And further down we are told that..."the senators were also careful to note that their conclusion that enhanced interrogation techniques proved effective in the past should not be read as an endorsement of any of these particular enhanced interrogation techniques".

So, what is the purpose of this article? How can you praise the effectiveness of a program...without endorsing the techniques which were used therein?

Have these guys no shame?

Clocker
12-11-2014, 02:04 AM
Have these guys no shame?

Both reports were shameless political propaganda. Why is that surprising to anyone?

thaskalos
12-11-2014, 02:09 AM
Both reports were shameless political propaganda. Why is that surprising to anyone?

Well...your quip that this report was "on all the network news shows" gave me the impression that you were impressed by its content.

Clocker
12-11-2014, 02:35 AM
Well...your quip that this report was "on all the network news shows" gave me the impression that you were impressed by its content.

I haven't seen the report, or any comprehensive analysis of it. I was just pointing out that there are many sides to every story. Rarely are any of them true.