PDA

View Full Version : Brisnet.com finally rolls out unlimited data plan

EJXD2
12-10-2014, 06:21 PM
When I joined Brisnet.com in summer 2011, the most common suggestion from this forum was to offer an unlimited subscription plan for our data files, and I promised it would be coming.

I'm sure many gave up and moved on (either to other products or the afterlife), but this is something I've wanted to make happen, and I'm glad it finally has.

So if you're still interested in an unlimited plan from Brisnet.com, our PP data files (in both single- or multi-file formats) are now available for $125/month (which is $100/month if you're a TSC Elite member [i.e. TwinSpires.com VIP]).

You can learn more about the plan http://www.brisnet.com/ppdataplan .

Thanks, everyone!

PICSIX
12-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Awesome :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

JimG
12-10-2014, 06:48 PM
$125 a month and it does not include the exotic results files? Other people get multicaps files which include exotic results for $59 a month. A real shame Churchill Downs had to purchase Brisnet. Damn shame.

BIG49010
12-10-2014, 08:13 PM
I don't see how this really helps anyone, at a dollar a card most people don't download over a $100 dollars a month.

ReplayRandall
12-10-2014, 08:25 PM
When I joined Brisnet.com in summer 2011, the most common suggestion from this forum was to offer an unlimited subscription plan for our data files, and I promised it would be coming.

I'm sure many gave up and moved on (either to other products or the afterlife), but this is something I've wanted to make happen, and I'm glad it finally has.

So if you're still interested in an unlimited plan from Brisnet.com, our PP data files (in both single- or multi-file formats) are now available for $125/month (which is $100/month if you're a TSC Elite member [i.e. TwinSpires.com VIP]).

Thanks, everyone!

How is $125/month a deal? Pay a dollar a card, 5 tracks a day, 25 per week, 100 a month.....Plus I live in a state where I can't legally be a TSC Elite member. Is this the best you can do? I'll give you another chance to revise your "DEAL".

Flysofree
12-10-2014, 09:47 PM
That is WAY TOO HIGH!

Speed Figure
12-10-2014, 09:48 PM

Thanks, everyone!

As much as I want this to be a great deal, IT'S NOT! If the deal was $79 - $89 for unlimited multicap files with results I would sign up now!

JustRalph
12-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Swing and a miss!!!

PhantomOnTour
12-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Air ball !

SAL
12-10-2014, 11:27 PM
As much as I want this to be a great deal, IT'S NOT! If the deal was $79 - $89 for unlimited multicap files with results I would sign up now!

I agree with this- even if it included the exotic results files this price is too high. I can't imagine a stampede of people signing up for this plan :ThmbDown:

rlopez781
12-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Why pay $125/mo when you can sign up with Jcapper's Silver Unlimited deal of $90/mo .drf with exotics results files...If Brisnet wants to make this a homerun success,they should price it about $79/mo .drf with exotics results files...If they do that,they'll have a lot of sign ups...

JimG
12-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Why pay $125/mo when you can sign up with Jcapper's Silver Unlimited deal of $90/mo .drf with exotics results files...If Brisnet wants to make this a homerun success,they should price it about $79/mo .drf with exotics results files...If they do that,they'll have a lot of sign ups...

Ray, I agree. Unfortunately, it is the bean counter mentality that has been prevalent for some time. I am convinced none of the decision makers for CDI have ever bet on a horse race. Not including the exotic results at any price is pure folly. Anyone with a passing knowledge of computer handicapping files knows that the people who want unlimited also must have the results to complete their databases. Of course, the $125 price itself, is out of line as well. There are some good people working at Brisnet (including the OP). Unfortunately, none of them make these decisions.

EJXD2
12-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Hey, all, thanks for the feedback!

We based on the price on known usage. Lots of people were already spending $125+ with us, so this is a great deal for them.

So we made some assumptions that "X" people spending $(y)*25/month ($50, $75, $100) would upgrade.

If they don't, then this will be a big bust. Sorry to hear the reception here isn't great, but I'm glad this is something we can offer our customers.

And fact remains, our prices have remained the same for years despite several increases among the competitors, so I think criticism of CDI owning us is unwarranted.

EdD

ReplayRandall
12-11-2014, 10:31 AM

We based on the price on known usage. Lots of people were already spending $125+ with us, so this is a great deal for them.

So we made some assumptions that "X" people spending $(y)*25/month ($50, $75, $100) would upgrade.

If they don't, then this will be a big bust. Sorry to hear the reception here isn't great, but I'm glad this is something we can offer our customers.

And fact remains, our prices have remained the same for years despite several increases among the competitors, so I think criticism of CDI owning us is unwarranted.

EdD

EdD, I gave you an extra chance to come with something of more value than you previously posted. If this is how you reply to what we've told you, then we have NO DEAL.......

JimG
12-11-2014, 10:52 AM

EdD

No they have not. First of all, TSN, which was an inexpensive alternative, was eliminated. This kept people from acquiring the $59 a month TSN pcs plan which included all data files and results. (To your credit you all did Grandfather in those that were on the plan the magic date of the dissolution, however everyone else that used the plan off and on was SOL)

Secondly, prior to CDI taking over, all brisbet and tsnbet customers got 20% off their brisnet bill if they bet during the month. That was eliminated then reinstated only for the high rollers by CDI.

I appreciate that you all are an advertiser here on Pace Advantage. However, it is obvious that nobody at CDI really listens to the horse player. It is all about money. Keeping the prices the same or raising them is driving away the horse players and worse yet, is a disincentive to get new blood in the sport. The days of pricing things like you are the only game in town should be ending. In the end that did not work well for Blockbuster. Innovative ways to offer customers a good deal that also adds money to brisnet is where the logic should be headed. But, this "offer" clearly indicates it is not.

rlopez781
12-11-2014, 10:55 AM
It is almost the same story...When I was in Manila,Philippines 30 years ago,there was a huge bakery store across our house that sells this hot (pan de sal) bread that Filipinos love to eat every morning or all day.They were selling it at a huge profit because the public were buying.Along came an old Chinese guy and opened a very small bakery store close by and started making the same hot bread and sells it at a lot lower price.There was a line every morning and the people were happy.The huge bakery store saw what was going on but was too proud and did nothing.Anyway there were still some that were buying.The Chinese guy became rich and in 2 years he opened 20 more small bakeries all over the city.The huge bakery went out of business in a year.
I don't think Brisnet is going out of business soon but because of greed they don't want to look at the bigger picture...

EJXD2
12-11-2014, 11:30 AM
It is almost the same story...When I was in Manila,Philippines 30 years ago,there was a huge bakery store across our house that sells this hot (pan de sal) bread that Filipinos love to eat every morning or all day.They were selling it at a huge profit because the public were buying.Along came an old Chinese guy and opened a very small bakery store close by and started making the same hot bread and sells it at a lot lower price.There was a line every morning and the people were happy.The huge bakery store saw what was going on but was too proud and did nothing.Anyway there were still some that were buying.The Chinese guy became rich and in 2 years he opened 20 more small bakeries all over the city.The huge bakery went out of business in a year.
I don't think Brisnet is going out of business soon but because of greed they don't want to look at the bigger picture...

You didn't really need an example half a world away for that! Microsoft and Apple do it all the time!

EdD

rlopez781
12-11-2014, 01:05 PM
EdD,

Excuse old people like me because when we talk,we give examples and experiences of long ago and far away.But hopefully,our message is still there.

DeltaLover
12-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Overpriced racing data, represent a more general problem for the whole industry affecting the evolution of the game itself. Racing officials seem to not having a clue, of how important it is for the expansion of the game, to provide low priced (or even free) making them available to the public, using modern means of distribution, including web services, cloud based repos etc.

The myopic view of keeping related data expensive and IP protected it hurts both the data companies and the industry itself.

As far as the specific BRIS plan, I have to agree with others, that it is simply a joke! For example someone who is following 4 circuits will have almost nothing to gain from this 'deal', especially since it does not even covers the result files.

One other point I would like to make, has to do with old data (going more then two years back), that should have been distributed completely free of charge to encourage people who want to get it to computerized handicapping and to attract players from the newer generations.

Flysofree
12-11-2014, 02:45 PM
What I think maybe they don't get is that horseplayers need to have some money over to actually bet on the races at their sister site, TwinSpires. Buying information for information's sake is not where it is...

Light
12-11-2014, 02:55 PM
This is the case of advertising $1 each or 10 for $10. Unless you are mathematically challenged, you can see there is no difference.

But I do appreciate that Bris still offers the Ultimates free at TS. I think if Bris offered some data files for free for $X of play at TS, that may work for both players and Bris.

EJXD2
12-11-2014, 03:37 PM
As far as the specific BRIS plan, I have to agree with others, that it is simply a joke! For example someone who is following 4 circuits will have almost nothing to gain from this 'deal', especially since it does not even covers the result files.

The purpose of this plan is to give people who want unlimited data an option of spending $125/month instead of $350-$600/month (depending on the month). If you're playing 2-3 tracks/day each week and have no desire to access every track then this is not the plan for you.

One other point I would like to make, has to do with old data (going more then two years back), that should have been distributed completely free of charge to encourage people who want to get it to computerized handicapping and to attract players from the newer generations.

An issue here for better or worse that Brisnet (and others) simply licenses the data from Equibase, and our license does not allow us to "give away the store".

DeltaLover
12-11-2014, 03:45 PM
The purpose of this plan is to give people who want unlimited data an option of spending $125/month instead of $350-$600/month (depending on the month). If you're playing 2-3 tracks/day each week and have no desire to access every track then this is not the plan for you..

Really?

$600 / month???? 20 cards per day or 140 per week??? Maybe somebody is doing it, but clearly he represents an extreme case....

In my case, following three major circuits, I average anywhere from 12 to 15 card per week and I think something like this should be the norm... Still, my action (including the results,) adds up to over $100 per week which I think is way too high..

Monopolies suck

DeltaLover
12-11-2014, 03:47 PM
An issue here for better or worse that Brisnet (and others) simply licenses the data from Equibase, and our license does not allow us to "give away the store".

This is a completely different story..

I repeat:

Monopolies suck

JimG
12-11-2014, 03:59 PM
The purpose of this plan is to give people who want unlimited data an option of spending $125/month instead of $350-$600/month (depending on the month). If you're playing 2-3 tracks/day each week and have no desire to access every track then this is not the plan for you.

So you are trying to reach the guy that currently spends $350-$600 a month and reduce his expenses to $125 a month? Sounds like a business plan. What about all the people spending $20-$50 a month or nothing at all because they currently have better options with Trackmaster, Post Time Daily, or HDW? Why not try to acquire some of that business?

Cry me a fricken river. You guys sold unlimited procaps files for years (including results) at $59 (not including a 20% discount if you played though brisbet) per month. You were not losing money on that or you would not have been doing it. Many of us horse players are also business men and we understand the need for profit. We also understand quasi-monopolistic greed.

JustRalph
12-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Cry me a fricken river. You guys sold unlimited procaps files for years (including results) at $59 (not including a 20% discount if you played though brisbet) per month. You were not losing money on that or you would not have been doing it. Many of us horse players are also business men and we understand the need for profit. We also understand quasi-monopolistic greed.

Those were the days. Nothing but me and my 59 bucks worth of data and Equisim was the only game in town........ :ThmbUp:

Give em hell Jim! Hurry up too! Before they raise the price of coffee at Juan Valdez park! Nothing's been right in this damn game since Laffit and Eddie D. Moved on ! :confused:

JimG
12-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Those were the days. Nothing but me and my 59 bucks worth of data and Equisim was the only game in town........ :ThmbUp:

Give em hell Jim! Hurry up too! Before they raise the price of coffee at Juan Valdez park! Nothing's been right in this damn game since Laffit and Eddie D. Moved on ! :confused:

No. I'm done. I've said all I have to publicly say on this "offer". The game we love has taken a downturn despite some real technological innovations (high speed internet, computers, hd video, etc.) It is a sad state of affairs at this time. I hope it improves. Fingers crossed.

SAL
12-11-2014, 04:32 PM
So you are trying to reach the guy that currently spends $350-$600 a month and reduce his expenses to $125 a month? Sounds like a business plan. What about all the people spending $20-$50 a month or nothing at all because they currently have better options with Trackmaster, Post Time Daily, or HDW? Why not try to acquire some of that business?

This is exactly right. You're not trying to attract the people that are already spending over $125 per month, you should be trying to get the people spending $50 or $60 per month or people that are getting unlimited files somewhere else. So offering a plan that is not competitively priced is not a good business move, imho. Also, you might attract more business if you include the results files in the plan as well.

Speed Figure
12-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Once Timeform US comes out with a data file with unlimited downloads Brisnet will be done! I know they are losing business with Timeforms $69.99 package right now. This is why they finally came with there unlimited downloads. I'm sure they thought we were going to be jumping for joy, but the only thing they are going to keep doing is LOSING BUSINESS!

raybo
12-12-2014, 01:37 AM
I applaud Brisnet/CDI for finally doing what players have been asking about for years, in my case, over 15. I was a loyal Brisnet customer for many years, and even recommended this company to others, on this very forum. However, when the former TSN customers were given an unlimited plan, and the existing long time loyal Brisnet customers, who had been asking for the same thing all along, were totally ignored, I decided right then that I would no longer do business with a company that doesn't care about their customers. So, I left Brisnet, after all those years, and went to JCapper/HDW and not only got the data plan I wanted, but also got the results files included in the plan.

So, even though Brisnet has finally offered an unlimited data plan, it comes far too late, and will not cause new, or old customers, to sign up, especially when they can get more product for much less money from other sources.

In short, not only is it a further sign of profound greed and poor business operation (by both Brisnet and CDI), it is downright insulting to everyone here.

raybo
12-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Once Timeform US comes out with a data file with unlimited downloads Brisnet will be done! I know they are losing business with Timeforms $69.99 package right now. This is why they finally came with there unlimited downloads. I'm sure they thought we were going to be jumping for joy, but the only thing they are going to keep doing is LOSING BUSINESS!

I agree, Brisnet was forced into the unlimited offering due to competition, I doubt they did it out of the goodness of their heart (the high price is a tip off). If TFUS offers a data file plan, and it is mapped like the 1435 field Bris files, and it is competitively priced, that will almost assuredly severely damage Brisnet/CDI regarding their data offerings, and possibly, other data providers also.

PressThePace
12-22-2016, 04:01 PM

EdD

Count me as one of the many unhappy customers spending " $(y)*25/month ($50, $75, $100)" that will NOT upgrade; your transparency speaks volumes about how much you think of your customers. Thanks for the memories....

SandyW
12-23-2016, 09:45 PM
$125 a month and it does not include the exotic results files? Other people get multicaps files which include exotic results for $59 a month. A real shame Churchill Downs had to purchase Brisnet. Damn shame.
When Brisnet grandfathered the PROCAP people in they never gave any body the chance to join those people including many people who may not have been turned on that particular month or were using different downloads from Brisnet AND WERE GREAT CUSTOMERS OF BRISNET FOR YEARS AND YEARS. If Brisnet can sell that package for $59 then everybody should have the chance to purchase that same Multicap plan.
This is a two tier system that is and was not fair to all Brisnet customers.

WPL
01-01-2017, 03:08 PM
What's the difference between the $1 PP data files and the $2 A-Odds data file besides the price?
I am suspecting the files are exactly the same, so why the price differential?

Does the $125/month include results chart files?

2low
01-01-2017, 06:25 PM
What's the difference between the $1 PP data files and the $2 A-Odds data file besides the price?
I am suspecting the files are exactly the same, so why the price differential?

Does the $125/month include results chart files?

Results are another $75/mo.

I don't know anything about the A-Odds files.