PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawal Times Questioned

Sea Biscuit
12-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Why should a horse receive a positive test for a drug administered with a normal amount outside the recommended withdrawal time?

Such is the case with trotter Stonebridge Rich. On November 21, Stonebridge Rich was a winner in the second leg of the Autumn Series at Woodbine Racetrack. Last Wednesday, trainer Anthony MacDonald was informed by the Ontario Racing Commission that the horse tested positive for carbocaine (mepivacaine) commonly used as an anesthetic in horses. The ORC confirmed these details to Trot Insider last Thursday.

Read on

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/12-9-14/withdrawal-times-questioned.html

mrroyboy
12-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Sea, I think like humans, horses have different metabolisms. Some drugs last longer in some horses. But if It is a pain med rather than some kind of stimulant I don't get too excited about it.

Sea Biscuit
12-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Sea, I think like humans, horses have different metabolisms. Some drugs last longer in some horses. But if It is a pain med rather than some kind of stimulant I don't get too excited about it.

I think its about time the vets should take the rap for a positive such as this instead of the trainers specially if they are licensed by the proper authority such as the Ontario Racing Commission (ORC).

Pena for instance got banned from NY tracks because of 1100 violations of out of time administrations of legal drugs by licensed vets.

The vets are paid good money for doing a job and if they fail they should be held accountable/responsible for their actions.

Makes sense. To me it does.

mrroyboy
12-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Vets should take some of the responsibility for sure. But the trainer has always taken the heat. If a groom is caught screwing one of the outriders in a trainers barn the trainer could be held responsible!!! Crazy but true.

Sea Biscuit
12-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Not much response in this thread.

I think people just don't care anymore one way or another.

LottaKash
12-12-2014, 10:55 AM

I think people just don't care anymore one way or another.

Biscuit, most of us care, but what can one say....It is a "catch-22" kind of a thing....

We all want clean racing, and it is good that they catch these things, but, the truth is this is a very ticklish situation.....Good that they caught the infraction, but bad on the trainer and owner if what they said is true....

Imo, the VET is the responsible party in all of this, but is he really ?....Who can say ?...I dunno.. :confused:

Sea Biscuit
12-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Biscuit, most of us care, but what can one say....It is a "catch-22" kind of a thing....

We all want clean racing, and it is good that they catch these things, but, the truth is this is a very ticklish situation.....Good that they caught the infraction, but bad on the trainer and owner if what they said is true....

Imo, the VET is the responsible party in all of this, but is he really ?....Who can say ?...I dunno.. :confused:

Kash: In the medical field doctors are held responsible/accountable when they screw up with a patient. Just ask any doctor how much he pays for malpractice insurance to protect himself.

No reason why the Vets, who have the expertise with drugs and withdrawal times and not the trainer, should not be held accountable when they screw up.

lamboguy
12-12-2014, 03:39 PM

I think people just don't care anymore one way or another.its a very frustrating subject.

the main point i can say is that since drugs have been allowed, the attendance and wagering volumes at race tracks have been steadily going down.

there are people that strictly handicap trainer's for drug usage these days. the guys that are trying to handicap horses are in trouble.

mrroyboy
12-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Bottom line is the vets probably never will be held responsible even if they should be.

Sea Biscuit
12-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Stay granted to Stonebridge Rich

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/12-26-14/stay-granted-stonebridge-rich.html