PDA

View Full Version : Golf Watch

mountainman
12-07-2014, 06:04 PM
I'm seriously considering the Garmin gps golf watch that measures swing speed and tempo. Has anyone bought or tried it? Any word on how that special feature performs?

AndyC
12-07-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm seriously considering the Garmin gps golf watch that measures swing speed and tempo. Has anyone bought or tried it? Any word on how that special feature performs?

Personally, I would never buy one. For starters playing with a watch on is annoying for me. As a GPS device you will not get distances to the pin, something you would get with a laser, only distances to the front, middle and back. As for swing speed and tempo, how often do you really want to check each of those? Tempo is something that you can feel while swing speed might be something to check if you are going through a major swing change. This device will work fot tempo and swing speed. http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Sensors-Swing-Speed-Radar/dp/B0013L68A6

mountainman
12-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Personally, I would never buy one. For starters playing with a watch on is annoying for me. As a GPS device you will not get distances to the pin, something you would get with a laser, only distances to the front, middle and back. As for swing speed and tempo, how often do you really want to check each of those? Tempo is something that you can feel while swing speed might be something to check if you are going through a major swing change. This device will work fot tempo and swing speed. http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Sensors-Swing-Speed-Radar/dp/B0013L68A6

Tx for the input, dude. It always strikes me as odd that Phil Mickelson wears a big ole watch while he plays. I mean, where else does he have to be??

I'll probably buy the standard Garmin and not shell out for the deluxe swing-trainer edition. Those things are expensive enough to start with.

Greyfox
12-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Personally, I would never buy one.

Nor I.

But I'm a terrible golfer, by ayone's standards, but I have a good attitude.

I golf with three guys, once a week...and only play once a week.
Two of them have expensive watch calibrators which give the distance to the green.
Those watchs speed up their play. (By age or nature, they are slow. I play fast,)

They used to step out distances which slowed our foursome up, considerably,
from the yardage markers.
So, yes. It speeds up some old timers play.
Does it improve their golf.
Only from a time viewpoint. I hate slow play.
Does it improve their play. Doubtful,
I can still look at a green and have a rough idea how far it is a way.
Can I strike the ball that distance with accuracy?
I try to.

cj an earlier post this or last year that mentioned a cheap ap from the internet that he could use
that did the same thing.
Contacting him by pm might be an idea to consider.

TJDave
12-08-2014, 03:59 AM
They used to step out distances which slowed our foursome up, considerably

Tell anyone who steps out distances who isn't playing a low handicap or for serious cash that they're an asshole. Tell 'em I said so.

AndyC
12-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Tell anyone who steps out distances who isn't playing a low handicap or for serious cash that they're an asshole. Tell 'em I said so.

There is no excuse for slow play even if you are a low handicap playing for serious cash. Good players do their pre-shot work while the others in the group are playing. Low handicappers slow up considerably once they reach the green. Many high handicappers don't have a clue about preparing for their shot into the green while others are hitting.

AndyC
12-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Nor I.

But I'm a terrible golfer, by ayone's standards, but I have a good attitude.

I golf with three guys, once a week...and only play once a week.
Two of them have expensive watch calibrators which give the distance to the green.
Those watchs speed up their play. (By age or nature, they are slow. I play fast,)

They used to step out distances which slowed our foursome up, considerably,
from the yardage markers.
So, yes. It speeds up some old timers play.
Does it improve their golf.
Only from a time viewpoint. I hate slow play.
Does it improve their play. Doubtful,
I can still look at a green and have a rough idea how far it is a way.
Can I strike the ball that distance with accuracy?
I try to.

cj an earlier post this or last year that mentioned a cheap ap from the internet that he could use
that did the same thing.
Contacting him by pm might be an idea to consider.

The sad part is that most players given the exact distance can't even hit their ball anywhere near the exact distance. Their variances on the distances with each club can be 30 yards or more.

Greyfox
12-08-2014, 12:09 PM

Of course they are. They know it. Who else would play with a hacker like me? :D