PDA

View Full Version : Frank Stronach is "doing it"

karlskorner
05-08-2004, 10:29 AM
From the Miami Herald 5/8/04

Gulfstream Park owners have decided to demolish existing buildings and put up a "state-of-the-art" facility. After 65 years, Gulfstream Park is getting a major face-lift and expansion. Magna Entertainment Corp. has decided to level the existing buildings in Hallendale Beach and begin from scratch, including a new grandstand, clubhouse, barns and 1 1/8 mile track in a project to cost $120 million for racing improvements. Additional long-term plans also include a retail, entertainment and residential complex.

Temporary bleachers and tents will be erected for the 2005 Gulfstream meeting, which will run from 1/3/05 to 4/24/05 The new grandstand and clubhouse are expected to be ready in 2006.

"Everything is coming down" said GP president Scott Savin. "the grandstand, the clubhouse, administration buildings, the paddock, the tote board, the state offices, the concert stage - everything except the jocks room and first-aid room. They will remain through the 2005 meeting, then come down. The first phase of the project involves not only the removal of the buildings, but also the installation of new dirt and grass racing surfaces. "The two surfaces wil be state of the art" said Savin. Savin said the tent setup will be similar to what GP used for the 1999 Breeders Cup.

B. Comin'
05-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Stronach got a 125 million (approx.) tax break from his 'losses' in his tracks alone last year.

It's all about da' money, and usually is.;)

Tom
05-08-2004, 04:25 PM
3-5 says once they are all torn down, something other than a race track goes up instead.

JustRalph
05-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Tom
3-5 says once they are all torn down, something other than a race track goes up instead.

can you say Condo's!

karlskorner
05-09-2004, 09:20 AM
The plans call for 1500 condo's plus a large upscale shopping center (to be built at a later date). No racetrack, no permits to build, Hallendale needs the racetrack as a tourist attraction.

kenwoodallpromos
05-09-2004, 12:11 PM
How mant temp bleachers are feasible? Will the 1500 condos overlook the track like luxury skyboxes?

delayjf
05-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Is he or isn't he going to rebuild the track, and what might that mean to Hialeah??

Stillriledup
05-19-2010, 01:12 AM
6 years later, how did this work out?

Was it a good move or bad move for Mr Magna?

Tom
05-19-2010, 07:39 AM
They rotated the tires on the grandstand.

castaway01
05-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Since Magna went bankrupt, I guess that tells you how it all turned out. As inept as most racetrack management is, Magna goes above and beyond their standards to new levels of incompetence. The sad thing is, they were able to scam the bankruptcy court to keep control of their most important tracks.

PhantomOnTour
05-19-2010, 11:35 AM
From the looks of things, ole Frank will soon run Cali racing. To hell with them; they are the ones who made him install AWS and look where all the hortsemen are going...away. All Frank has to do is wait it out. Neat chat on 'At The Races' yesterday with Jerry Jamgochian about this subject.

Deepsix
05-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I haven't been to Gulfstream Park however I recall a couple people here give reviews after attending. I have noticed that the racing has been on the upswing and reports are that the mall has been steadily filling with shops. The concept of a smaller plant offering a variety of entertainment options doesn't seem to be out of whack.

Here's a link-

http://www.thevillageatgulfstreampark.com/

the little guy
05-19-2010, 11:47 AM

Reasonably well.....Karl has stopped posting.

Stillriledup
05-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Reasonably well.....Karl has stopped posting.

Really? Karl's goners?

COME BACK KARL! :lol:

Kimsus
05-19-2010, 10:38 PM
From the Miami Herald 5/8/04

Gulfstream Park owners have decided to demolish existing buildings and put up a "state-of-the-art" facility. After 65 years, Gulfstream Park is getting a major face-lift and expansion. Magna Entertainment Corp. has decided to level the existing buildings in Hallendale Beach and begin from scratch, including a new grandstand, clubhouse, barns and 1 1/8 mile track in a project to cost $120 million for racing improvements. Additional long-term plans also include a retail, entertainment and residential complex.

Temporary bleachers and tents will be erected for the 2005 Gulfstream meeting, which will run from 1/3/05 to 4/24/05 The new grandstand and clubhouse are expected to be ready in 2006.

"Everything is coming down" said GP president Scott Savin. "the grandstand, the clubhouse, administration buildings, the paddock, the tote board, the state offices, the concert stage - everything except the jocks room and first-aid room. They will remain through the 2005 meeting, then come down. The first phase of the project involves not only the removal of the buildings, but also the installation of new dirt and grass racing surfaces. "The two surfaces wil be state of the art" said Savin. Savin said the tent setup will be similar to what GP used for the 1999 Breeders Cup.

It can't hurt, GP hasn't been the same since Bailey and Sellers rode there in the late 90's IMO.

Dahoss9698
05-19-2010, 10:57 PM
It can't hurt, GP hasn't been the same since Bailey and Sellers rode there in the late 90's IMO.

You are commenting on a post from 6 years ago. The changes already happened.

karlskorner
05-20-2010, 09:10 AM
I haven't been the same since last January when my lady Doctor insisted I get rid of the HARLEY DAVIDSON, she said at 84 your to damn old to ride a cycle to CRC during the summer months.

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2010, 07:48 PM

Was it a good move or bad move for Mr Magna?Good to see you're living up to your avatar and location by resurrecting these long-since-dead threads...

Stillriledup
05-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Good to see you're living up to your avatar and location by resurrecting these long-since-dead threads...

Thanks. I hadn't bumperooski'd one in a while, so i thought i'd do it before someone 'called me out' on my tagline.

:jump: