PDA

View Full Version : PA Derby Still Grade 2

Bigadam119
12-05-2014, 08:09 PM
I may be a little impartial because it's my home track, but how did the PA Derby not get upgraded? It seems like they have had strong enough fields (stronger than some current grade 1 fields) headlined by a BC Classic winner and BC Classic second in the last two years.

alydar
12-05-2014, 09:04 PM
I would agree with you that based on the last few years it may have been overlooked. It appears to be a bit of an insider's game when it comes to grading races. Another year or two and it will get wha the credit that it deserves, assuming they can keep attracting big time horses.

jballscalls
12-05-2014, 09:34 PM
how does the Fair Grounds Oaks not get elevated to G1?

Untapable
Believe You Can
Rachel Alexandra
Proud Spell
Summerly
Ashado
and plenty more good ones

Bigadam119
12-05-2014, 10:32 PM
I would agree with you that based on the last few years it may have been overlooked. It appears to be a bit of an insider's game when it comes to grading races. Another year or two and it will get wha the credit that it deserves, assuming they can keep attracting big time horses.

I agree seems like almost all the graded stakes are at 6 tracks.

Valuist
12-06-2014, 03:26 PM
There's nothing new here. This is the flaw of the grading system. Once a race is assigned a grade, it takes a lot to move it. And even then, no guarantee it gets changed.

Shemp Howard
12-06-2014, 03:29 PM
No race ever run at a dump like Parx should ever be a Grade I.

Stillriledup
12-06-2014, 03:38 PM

They're slots infused, they have cash to burn, shouldn't the place be un-dumpified by now?

Cholly
12-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Many of the old guard feel that after Labor Day, 3yo's should be running in open company and not in age-restricted races...valid or not, this sentiment likely works against the PA Derby.

Shemp Howard
12-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Many of the old guard feel that after Labor Day, 3yo's should be running in open company and not in age-restricted races...valid or not, this sentiment likely works against the PA Derby.

3 yo's get weight from older horses all year.

That's a spurious argument, IMHO.

Bigadam119
12-06-2014, 04:45 PM

There's already a grade 1 race held there...

A pretty strong one too

wisconsin
12-06-2014, 09:07 PM

Place is far from a dump from what I saw.