PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Surface vs. Chromebook

highnote
12-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Anyone have an opinion on a Microsoft Surface vs. a Chromebook.

From the reviews it sounds like it is better to get the Surface 3 instead of the Surface 2, because the 3 is more like a desktop and laptop. It sounds like the 2 doesn't allow you to run some of the software that you can run on your desktop, but the 3 does.

What about the Chromebook -- can it run all the Windows software -- like racing software?

I do programming in Microsoft Visual Basic. Would I be able to use VB on a Chromebook?

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Chromebook doesn't run anything Windows.

highnote
12-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Chromebook doesn't run anything Windows.

Thanks. That is a big negative for me.

Looks like Surface Pro 3 is the way to go. I was hoping that Surface 2 would work since it's about 1/2 the price of the Surface 3. Guess you get what you pay for.

JustRalph
12-04-2014, 04:27 PM
You're comparing apples to oranges

highnote
12-04-2014, 04:35 PM
You're comparing apples to oranges

I don't know which is the apple and which is the orange, that is, I don't really know much about any of them, so until I learn more I don't which comparisons are valid.

Augenj
12-04-2014, 04:47 PM
I don't know which is the apple and which is the orange, that is, I don't really know much about any of them, so until I learn more I don't which comparisons are valid.
Since you want to use VB.Net, make sure your new computer has .Net on it by going to the Control Panel, Programs and Features, and look for Microsoft .Net Framework. The version I have currently is 4.5.1. You also might want to ensure that you have enough memory to load the IDE and compile your VB source. Basically, the more memory, the better. Using only one GB may cause quite a bit of paging or swapping, whatever they call it.

JustRalph
12-04-2014, 06:12 PM

One (chrome book) is an online appliance only, or mostly. It's pretty much useless without an Internet connection. It has very little storage locally. It relies on the cloud. No local software, as in windows or Apple software can run.

The surface is a regular windows laptop, basically. Although it will act as a tablet.

Two completely different animals. You can buy 4 chrome books for the price of a nice surface 3 setup

MJC922
12-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Beware the cheaper surface (the RT model) you will probably want to stay away from it if you code VBA as I don't think that specific model supports it. You'll see the RT around for $150 to $200 right now too so it's easy to spot. I saw the surface 3 today at staples, your call on that, I dunno it just doesn't excite me much and the price was jacked up but I don't want to be too critical without being hands-on with it.

Speed Figure
12-05-2014, 01:08 AM
The surface pro 3 is great, but it's really over priced! the Asus Vivotab note 8 is a super windows 8 tablet at a great price of $199 for 32GB or $229 64GB. Of course it's sold out at this price on Amazon, But if you keep checking they will have more coming in stock. It also comes with a built in stylus. You can also use a 64GB microSD card to expand the storage.

vegasone
12-05-2014, 03:09 AM
If you want to use VB you need something which will run Win 7,8x. Chrome and RT will not. Seems like you need to do some homework before you buy something.

highnote
12-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Seems like you need to do some homework before you buy something.

Yep. That's why I'm asking. :)

highnote
12-05-2014, 02:35 PM
The surface pro 3 is great, but it's really over priced! the Asus Vivotab note 8 is a super windows 8 tablet at a great price of $199 for 32GB or $229 64GB. Of course it's sold out at this price on Amazon, But if you keep checking they will have more coming in stock. It also comes with a built in stylus. You can also use a 64GB microSD card to expand the storage.

These sound good. I'll check them out.

highnote
12-05-2014, 02:42 PM
One (chrome book) is an online appliance only, or mostly. It's pretty much useless without an Internet connection. It has very little storage locally. It relies on the cloud. No local software, as in windows or Apple software can run.

The surface is a regular windows laptop, basically. Although it will act as a tablet.

Two completely different animals. You can buy 4 chrome books for the price of a nice surface 3 setup

Ahhhh... now it makes sense. Thanks!

Ray2000
12-06-2014, 05:45 PM
HN

Surface 2 (AT&T 4G LTE) includes a SIM card tray, cellular modem, and antennas to connect to mobile carrier networks.

As I understand it Surface Pro 3 has no broadband capabilities built in.

That's what I've been waiting for, I need Office capable of running VBA macros plus internal broadband on a tablet.

I don't think there's any choice but to wait :(

highnote
12-06-2014, 08:02 PM
HN

Surface 2 (AT&T 4G LTE) includes a SIM card tray, cellular modem, and antennas to connect to mobile carrier networks.

As I understand it Surface Pro 3 has no broadband capabilities built in.

That's what I've been waiting for, I need Office capable of running VBA macros plus internal broadband on a tablet.

I don't think there's any choice but to wait :(

I wonder why they didn't include the ability to connect to mobile carrier networks in Surface 3?

JustRalph
12-06-2014, 11:11 PM
theres only so much room for radios on these things.

I would guess that might be the reason.

I walk around with a credit card size 4G hotspot from Verizon, that I have come to dearly love. Nothing like having Internet connection everywhere you go. The prices have come way down ...... I assume more people are using hotspots etc.....rather than using a dedicated radio in one single device.

FocusWiz
12-07-2014, 12:29 AM
That's similar to what I do with my (now discontinued) Surface Pro 2; I have a Windows Phone that can be used as a mobile hotspot and I use that for connectivity on the Surface Pro 2 when I am not in the range of another WiFi network.

I have an Android tablet and a Windows laptop as well. The smaller form factor of the Surface Pro 2 was what appealed to me. I think they eliminated it at least partly because they felt it made their Surface 2 look inferior (it is). I think for a larger screen like the Surface Pro 3, there are cheaper alternatives, but the product is well designed and the latest version of Windows 8 (8.1) and Office 365 finally have most of the bugs removed.