PDA

View Full Version : Wow Boca Babe at Laurel

zico20
12-03-2014, 08:58 PM
In the 2nd race tomorrow. She wins first time out in July at Saratoga at 2-1 by 21 lengths. She gets a Brisnet speed figure of 99. Jacobsen claimed her out of that race for 40,000 and she just got buried for 16000 and now 4 races later she is in for 7500 after 3 straight clunkers in NY. Has been bet down all 4 races she has run. Gets a new trainer now. How can a horse that ran that well first time out fall apart so quickly. Is she worth a claim and some time off to fix what is wrong?

A better question is-will she win tomorrow as the favorite or can we throw her out and make some money!!

Stillriledup
12-04-2014, 01:55 AM
I'd toss the 4 at 9-5 ML, those delaware large margin wins are things i can't trust. The 2, even with the dropoff, is still running competitive figures for this class, she's the most likely winner, i'd look to get the 4 out of the exacta, that's how i'm going to approach it.

turfeyejoe
12-04-2014, 09:30 AM
The new trainer is 0 for 5 with steep dropdowns, including losses at even-money and 6-5. I'm against Boca Babe.

zico20
12-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Speaking of possible big favorite throw outs, look at the 5th at Laurel. The :6: Throwback is a Bernadini gelding in for 12,500 after two straight clunkers in maiden SW in New York. Mott no longer trains this one. Horse gets first time Lasix and is putting blinkers back on. Has not run in over 2 months. Is the ML choice at 7-5. I could see this one running off the board at possibly 4-5.

davew
12-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Boca Babe first win was in the slop after taken off turf at Saratoga - only 4 runners, definitely liked the track that day.

Boca Babe sure is scratched a lot, has done best short in slop although trainers / breeding kept trying to get into longer turf.

Last couple scratches for $5K at Laurel
11/12 race 4
11/29 race 9

good chance unless pace with Luna Brava and/or Dreams of Monaco is too hot for Boca Babe who was not really shown much about laying off and passing horses.

zico20
12-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Boca Babe first win was in the slop after taken off turf at Saratoga - only 4 runners, definitely liked the track that day.

Boca Babe sure is scratched a lot, has done best short in slop although trainers / breeding kept trying to get into longer turf.

Last couple scratches for $5K at Laurel
11/12 race 4
11/29 race 9

good chance unless pace with Luna Brava and/or Dreams of Monaco is too hot for Boca Babe who was not really shown much about laying off and passing horses.

Thanks Dave for the info on the scratches. I threw her out after reading your post. She broke down at even money in the stretch. The three obvious horses after her ran 1-2-3 for an 85.20 trifecta. Finally, I beat a big favorite. That doesn't happen very much, if at all.

Tall One
12-04-2014, 01:59 PM
She broke down at even money in the stretch

Damn..:eek:

Stillriledup
12-04-2014, 02:41 PM
I'd toss the 4 at 9-5 ML, those delaware large margin wins are things i can't trust. The 2, even with the dropoff, is still running competitive figures for this class, she's the most likely winner, i'd look to get the 4 out of the exacta, that's how i'm going to approach it.

Ut oh! :D

Stillriledup
12-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks Dave for the info on the scratches. I threw her out after reading your post. She broke down at even money in the stretch. The three obvious horses after her ran 1-2-3 for an 85.20 trifecta. Finally, I beat a big favorite. That doesn't happen very much, if at all.

Yikes, essentially another jacobson breakdown.

zico20
12-04-2014, 03:14 PM

Lets be honest. If you KNEW the :2: was going to break down as the big favorite, you would have had the :4: in the exacta, or at least in the trifecta and you would have hit it, probably multiple times. Anytime a big class dropper gets scratched a couple of times that is a terrible sign. especially with that new trainer of hers. The horse never should have been allowed to run.

Stillriledup
12-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Lets be honest. If you KNEW the :2: was going to break down as the big favorite, you would have had the :4: in the exacta, or at least in the trifecta and you would have hit it, probably multiple times. Anytime a big class dropper gets scratched a couple of times that is a terrible sign. especially with that new trainer of hers. The horse never should have been allowed to run.

No doubt. If i was betting against the 2 i would have never tossed the 4, i would have spread around.

cj
12-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Yikes, essentially another jacobson breakdown.

Hard to believe.

Stillriledup
12-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Hard to believe.

Shocking i tell ya.

cutchemist42
12-05-2014, 01:41 AM

Worst way to beat a fave, as someone who loves beating the fave, the first time it happened from a breakdown I felt guilty.

Stillriledup
12-05-2014, 02:44 AM
Worst way to beat a fave, as someone who loves beating the fave, the first time it happened from a breakdown I felt guilty.

Its one of the things the industry can fix, but when every additional betting interest means more money, there's little incentive to make sure every horse is pretty sound before they race. You can blame the trainers, but some blame also has to go to the attending vet, those vets need to have extra scrutiny on big dropdowns, if you're claimed for 40k four months earlier and now in for 7500, that should raise a red flag, horses like this need to be looked over more and held to a higher standard to race.

Yet, they're not.

alydar
12-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Hard to believe.

Sickening

cj
12-05-2014, 10:11 AM
She was vet scratched twice at Laurel before being allowed to run, November 12th and November 27th.

Tom
12-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Unbelievable.
How can this guy be allowed to be near a horse is a mystery to me.

jk3521
12-05-2014, 06:19 PM
I understand Quick Money claimed off Jacobson by RR died on the track in today's 8th race.

cj
12-05-2014, 06:22 PM
I understand Quick Money claimed off Jacobson by RR died on the track in today's 8th race.

This wasn't the case of a horse breaking down, racing accident.