PDA

View Full Version : FIRING LINE - Line of David colt

Track Phantom
11-30-2014, 11:40 AM
If I could bet this horse in a Kentucky Derby future book bet, I would. I doubt he is even on the board. I think he will be soon.

He is bred to go long. Dam was 2nd in the G1, 1M 1/8 Vanity, 2 lengths behind Azeri. Sire won the G1, 1M 1/8 Arkansas Derby. Broodmare sire is Conquistador Cielo, winner of 6 out of 7 routes including the Belmont.

I think this runner is going to be a serious player as a three-year old.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/valento07/FiringLine_1915x217_zpsc2802211.jpg

Robert Fischer
11-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Hard for me to get a great read on that horse's performance.

He started slow and then seemed to be gaining ground throughout much of the race, which is always hard.

He finished well.

What threw me off was the 13's big move to win. Visually it looked like a big move. And that 13 wasn't bet much on the board. The 13 should have been flattening a bit late, and that flattered the runner up a bit.

Your Firing Line horse certainly did nothing wrong.

Track Phantom
11-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Hard for me to get a great read on that horse's performance.

He started slow and then seemed to be gaining ground throughout much of the race, which is always hard.

He finished well.

What threw me off was the 13's big move to win. Visually it looked like a big move. And that 13 wasn't bet much on the board. The 13 should have been flattening a bit late, and that flattered the runner up a bit.

Your Firing Line horse certainly did nothing wrong.

I think there were 4 or 5 wire to wire winners that day. The fact he was closing into a speed bias track has to be considered. I was very impressed with his performance. Losing is no big deal as long as the horse shows run at one or more points in the race, which he did.

Today will tell us more.

Robert Fischer
11-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Today will tell us more.

Will be cool to watch.
Obviously he should be contending here today and well backed.

Let's see if there is anything else in the race:

8-Ideal- Fox hill Farms $250K supersaver/tiznowmare colt. Hollendorfer's top priority here. Has solid works, and JH has big FTS #s but they may not have this one fully-cranked. Interesting. Also overlaid ml odds. Bad ml or is word out that IDEAL isn't much? Could be biggest threat in terms of talent.

5 - Go Trumpy Go - Peter Miller's best shot here.

3 - Blue Harbor - Decent works, draws a good jock.

9 - Big Hat Charlie - was 4th choice in the Dortmund race last time. And he ran credibly before flattening out in the stretch. He probably flattens again today, but always some hope 2nd time starter.

1 - Run Henry Run - Hollendorfer's 2nd string, but I like the pedigree and the works. Better than others.

Your guy should shine here vs. these maidens, but I'd like for 1 or 2 others to make him work. :ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer
11-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Not much 'action' on either of the two Hollendorfer FTS thus far in the daily double pools from race 8.

Track Phantom
11-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Very professional effort. He was sitting behind the speed and won easily when asked and was geared down in 1:16 flat. I think that field was actually much better than it looked on paper as many ran behind Baffert's Dortman and there were some good looking first timers.

Will be interesting to see where he pops up next.

Robert Fischer
11-30-2014, 09:57 PM
looked great

Track Phantom
11-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Twitter exchange with trainer Simon Callaghan. He said the Sham is likely next for him at Santa Anita on January 15.

Stillriledup
12-01-2014, 12:57 AM
If I could bet this horse in a Kentucky Derby future book bet, I would. I doubt he is even on the board. I think he will be soon.

He is bred to go long. Dam was 2nd in the G1, 1M 1/8 Vanity, 2 lengths behind Azeri. Sire won the G1, 1M 1/8 Arkansas Derby. Broodmare sire is Conquistador Cielo, winner of 6 out of 7 routes including the Belmont.

I think this runner is going to be a serious player as a three-year old.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/valento07/FiringLine_1915x217_zpsc2802211.jpg

Didn't see this till just now, this horse was visually stunning in his first start, he got a "wow" from me just on looks, length of stride and presence.

He has every shot to be a pretty good one.

tanner12oz
12-01-2014, 05:07 AM
Extremely professional, result never appeared in doubt

Track Phantom
12-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Extremely professional, result never appeared in doubt

He is my Derby Watch runner. We'll see if he moves forward. Love the breeding for the classic distances.

Gapfire
12-01-2014, 12:41 PM
I like this colt. He distributes his energy like a horse who wants to longer. Hope he stays strong.

Robert Fischer
12-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Some really good 2yos so far.

Hoping they stay sound and we have a big 2015.

cj
12-01-2014, 05:09 PM
He ran a 103 TimeformUS Speed Figure, very good for a 2yo this time of year. I'd guess it is roughly around a 96 Beyer.

Track Phantom
03-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Awesome.... Looked like a paid workout in the Sunland Derby. Too bad he didn't beat anything.

horses4courses
03-22-2015, 08:08 PM
Awesome.... Looked like a paid workout in the Sunland Derby. Too bad he didn't beat anything.

Doesn't matter....he's top class

Anyone who thinks Dortmund has a big shot, has to respect this colt :ThmbUp:

Beating nothing at Sunland today will only increase his odds in May.

tanner12oz
03-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Been following him since his first race and was glad to see him get his photo taken today. He will be a square price in the derby and he's just as capable as some of those with shorter odds

taxicab
03-22-2015, 11:12 PM
The Sunland Derby was the best possible place to run Firing Line:

He badly needed Derby points.....Check.
He needed a Graded Stakes win to beef up his breeding resume......Check.
He needed a confidence builder after some heartbreaking losses.....Check.
Got away from Dortmund.....Check
He proved he could ship and win......Check.
An easy 400k in the bank.....Check.
Kudos to trainer SC for choosing the perfect spot for his horse.

horses4courses
03-23-2015, 10:03 AM
There are some negatives.

A 6 week layoff into the Derby is not ideal.
Preps where you haven't had to deal with some adversity,
like getting dirt kicked in your face, or needing to
negotiate traffic, are not really the best, either.

That being said, this horse can run.
It will be difficult to leave him out of Derby exotics.

letswastemoney
03-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Firing Line has proven his ability to withstand a torrid pace and kick on. Not even American Pharoah can say that right now.

davew
03-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Does anyone know if Firing Line is going to race again before the Derby?
I am guessing the Santa Anita Derby is out.

Dark Horse
03-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Lots of speed lining up for the Derby. American Pharoah (why is everybody pronouncing this as pharaoh?), Dortmund, Firing Line. I'm already leaning closers.

Spiderman
03-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Does anyone know if Firing Line is going to race again before the Derby?
I am guessing the Santa Anita Derby is out.

SA Derby is only two weeks from the Sunland and should not be considered for a race prior to KD Derby. The only "preps" more than two weeks prior to the KD are the Arkansas Derby on April 11 - three weeks from Sunland. The Lexington is also on same date and would be a public workout for any of the main contenders.

The only reason for a race before the Derby, if it cannot be taught in workouts, is to prepare Firing Line to stalk and close which he did in his first two career races. There will be plenty of pace in the Derby and the winner will come from off the pace.