PDA

View Full Version : More Lessons from the Master

GR1@HTR
01-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Some Fundamental Thoughts on Handicapping
by Dick Mitchell
View other articles by Dick Mitchell

If you're in the mood for some bombast and iconoclasm - read on. If not, skip this article.

I personally think that the class factor is bulltickey. I'm with Andrew Beyer, who says, ?Class is speed.? All the romantic notions of brilliance, endurance, competitiveness, determination, willingness, courage and tenacity make for interesting reading but can't be taken to the bank. I've listened to handicappers tell me that when a ?classy? horse, meets a ?nonclassy? rival and these horses duel eyeball-to-eyeball, the non-classy horse will always succumb to his superior.

As evidence, they point to the fact that on the same day a lowly claimer ran faster than an allowance winner, and everybody knows that the claiming winner doesn't stand a chance against this classier allowance horse - it's simply a matter of class and adjusted final-time doesn't mean squat. If you've taken vows of poverty, then subscribe to this lunacy. If you've decided to divest yourself of your worldly possessions and don't want to waste time, you now know how to do it with alacrity. Keep betting on class horses that run slower adjusted final-times than their so-called lower-class rivals.

Adjusted final-time is always a function of pace. The chances are more than reasonable the slower allowance final-time was the result of a monstrous early pace. If you don't believe that class is speed, then please explain why every single set of par times that I've ever seen has higher classes running faster final-times than lower classes.

I get a big kick out of reading some of the comments of the Daily Racing Form handicappers when they talk about class drops. A wonderful example comes to mind. This particular race was a $20,000 claimer at Hollywood Park. An entry had just raced in a $32,000 claiming race. Trackman commented that this ?'two-level class dropper must be considered as a real threat.? The truth was the horse was making a dramatic rise in class. The horse had won a maiden claiming $32,000 race in subpar time. Its adjusted final-time put it below the claiming $10,000 level, which was the bottom of the barrel. After its maiden victory, it was then entered in an open $32,000 claiming race, and was promptly slaughtered.

What class drop?

This horse had as much chance of beating $20,000 winners as Bill Clinton has of being president after January 20, 2001. Yet, a very good professional handicapper was fooled by this so-called class drop. Class has nothing to with the level that a horse is entered at; it has to do with the horse's adjusted final-time. If a maiden claiming $32,000 horse runs open claiming $40,000 times for all three calls, you must conclude that you're looking at a $40,000 horse in the very worst case. To determine the class of a horse, you need only ask two questions:

1.) Has this horse won at today's level or higher?
2.) Can it run to the pars and profile needed to win at today's level?

If the answer to either question is affirmative, there's no need to consider the class factor any longer. This horse has the class to win. It now becomes a question of form and condition. All the class in the world means nothing, if a contender isn't in form and condition. Ask Mike Tyson after he fought Buster Douglas.

If you think that my views on class are somewhat simplistic, you'll be happy to know that my views on trainers are downright retarded. If you ever want to become a zillionaire, all you have to do is open up a race-betting window that caters exclusively to trainers. The only group less informed than trainers are owners. Trainers are single-dimensioned. They only know about their horse. The rest of the field is mostly a mystery to them. I love it when I hear a punter say, "They're shooting with the four-horse today." What the hell do you think the other eleven barns are doing - trying to lose?

Handicapping trainers, instead of handicapping horses, can be mental incompetence taken to a lower level than idiocy. Consider the best gymnastics trainer in the universe. What's his or her chances of getting you to win a gold medal in Athens in 2004? It's about the same chance that a superior trainer has of getting an inferior horse to beat a superior rival that has a lesser trainer. It's true that 20% of the trainers at your track win approximately 80% of the races, but they do it with superior horses. Even the very best trainers lose many more races than they win. The reason that they lose has nothing to do with their skills as trainers; it's simply that their charges faced superior competition.

The bottom line is simple. The hierarchy is uncomplicated. Quirin gave it to us in 1983. The most important factors, in order of relevance, are:

1. Ability
2. Form and Condition
3. Angles (extenuating circumstances)
4. Value

The first thing you must do is assess the ability of each contender. If a horse can't run to the pars and profiles demanded of winners at today?s class level, then it?s a throw-out. Second, determine the current form and condition of each of your contenders. Horses not meeting form and condition standards are discarded. (One of the absolute best sources of form and condition eliminations can be found on the videotape Common Sense Form Factor Analysis available in the handicapping.com cyberstore.)

Next, look for extenuating circumstances, or angles. These include ?hot stats? and other reasons out of the mainstream of speed, class and form that a horse should still be considered. This is where your knowledge of trainer maneuvers comes into play, not before. Finally, you must insist on value. Each wager must carry a positive edge. The horse must be going off at odds greater than its true chance of winning.

A great majority of handicappers resist the concept that thoroughbred handicapping is an orderly process based upon fundamentals. They steadfastly refuse to learn the fundamentals. They prefer instead to look for shortcuts. This is why books on the subjects of trainer maneuvers, body language, tote board reading, and situation handicapping are so popular.

I view these books the same way that I view books on the subject of diet. Anybody with half a brain understands that diets don't work. If you want to change your body shape permanently, you must change your eating habits permanently. The same thing is true at the racetrack. If your results are less than consistent profits, you must change something.

I have the good fortune to personally know many winning players. I don't know a single winner that doesn't apply the fundamentals of speed, pace, class, and the form factor before the trainer enters his or her consideration. The trainer factor is a secondary factor. Please don't listen to so-called "trainer experts,'' who claim to win using only trainer statistics, and nothing else. I promise you that they could improve their results dramatically by adding good solid fundamental handicapping to their present methodology.

See you on the short line.

Dick Mitchell

superfecta
01-08-2002, 12:00 AM
Stick to money management,your diatribe on handicapping leaves something to be desired.
So the analyist for DRF is a moron,many trainers are brain dead,Beyer is wrapped up in his figs,tell us some thing we don't know Dick.
The trick is to realize when there is legitimate class drops,trainer patterns and out of whack speed figs.
Some of this stuff is judgement,such as value(what may be valuable to me ,might be trash to you)so to make absolute statements about different factors is shaky ground my friend.That being said ,thanks for the article GR1,I like to see stuff like this,it just proves there is money to be made at the races.

smf
01-08-2002, 01:10 AM
I rec'd an ATM catalog in the mail last week that had 9 of dick's videos for sale. Nine videos. Doesn't include books, tapes, etc., which were on other pages.

Whenever I read anything by dick I get an image in my mind of a guy in a plaid polyester sports coat w/ cheap gold chains hanging off him w/ a ring on every finger. And people still buy the guy's stuff!

ranchwest
01-08-2002, 07:36 AM
So, we should ignore race restrictions and just go by the times, right? We should bet fillies and state breds in open races if they have the times, right? Guess I need to get my binoculars fixed.

Tuffmug
01-08-2002, 10:03 AM
Artax was a state bred!

ranchwest
01-08-2002, 10:52 AM
Yeah, well, I won on Very Subtle at the Breeders' Cup Sprint. But, I don't think there's very many people making money betting horses going from restricted to open races when the basis of their bet is a time equal to that of the open horses.

thoroughbred
01-08-2002, 01:05 PM
When it comes to the question of class, I often resort to the following analogy where I translate the question to human terms.

Sometimes we can get a better understanding of some things by trying to do this, i.e. relating the question to humans instead of horses.

Consider a mile track race in a high school. Such a race is surely a lower class one than a mile race in the Olympics.

Suppose the high school student does the mile in under four minutes in the high school race.

Now we enter the same high school student in the much higher class Olympics race. Why would he not be able to achieve the same finish time as in the lower class high school race?

ranchwest
01-08-2002, 02:18 PM
All I know is that I've seen a lot of horses with good times who hit a brick wall at the top of the stretch when reality set in.

GR1@HTR
01-08-2002, 02:41 PM
"

Now we enter the same high school student in the much higher class
Olympics race. Why would he not be able to achieve the same finish time as
in the lower class high school race?"

===

I like this one...Good question but I think the answer is not as easy. Imagine this...Your back in high school on the track team. Your assignment is to run a 100 dash against sprinters of equal ability. You break from the blocks evenly and duel it out to the end with your fellow runners. You will earn an excellent final time.

Now next week, you are entered in a 100 yard dash, except you have to run against Carl Lewis, Ben Johnson on roids, Michael Johson and Xtra Heat. You break from the block and are getting dusted. Unfortunately, what happens we raise our little white flags and don't run as fast as we did in a competitive situation...-->GAME OVER

Tom
01-08-2002, 03:29 PM
I think there is more to class than speed. At some point, the classier horse will "look at the other horse" and then dust him. It might be a few strides in "warp-speed," or it might be a hundred yard stretch, but the cheap horse knows it and loses heart. This, I think, is why some really cheap speed wins some races - the better horse never catches up to it to "dust it."
Tom

JimG
01-08-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by thoroughbred
When it comes to the question of class, I often resort to the following analogy where I translate the question to human terms.

Sometimes we can get a better understanding of some things by trying to do this, i.e. relating the question to humans instead of horses.

Consider a mile track race in a high school. Such a race is surely a lower class one than a mile race in the Olympics.

Suppose the high school student does the mile in under four minutes in the high school race.

Now we enter the same high school student in the much higher class Olympics race. Why would he not be able to achieve the same finish time as in the lower class high school race?

The early pace can and often does kill a speed horse when moved to a higher class. If the human runner allows the pace to dictate to him..he will run a slower time as well due to running too fast early. Horses have a hard time pacing themselves...as do many pinhead jocks on their backs.

Jim

thoroughbred
01-08-2002, 06:40 PM
Jim G:
Gr1

Note how in both of your discussions refuting my high school student racer, you assumed that the "Olympic" quality racers set a faster pace. But who is to say that the student can't equal them?

Sure, by definition, in the Olympics race, he will race against superior runners than he did in high school, but inherently, he is capable of the same performance he did in school.

All of this is a complicated question. My argument, and yours, both fall apart, for example, by us asking, perhaps the high school student IS of Olympics class.

So when a horse goes up in class, perhaps he really deserves to.
So where does this leave us?

I think the only thing we can say for sure is that horses rise to the higher class races based on capability, so, by definition the competition is keener. What this allows us to predict about a horse going up or down in class is extremely uncertain, I believe.

Tom
01-08-2002, 07:18 PM
You see "class" in action all the time - horse beat maidens, fail in nw1, then beat nw1, fail in nw2, then beat nw2, and so on. Eventually, classic horses get it all together and become stars, but at one time,they were beaten by lesser, until they get seasoning. Same thing with top college football players - they get into the NFL and it takes a few years of seasoning, then they become big stars.
But back class is important, too. How many washed-up NFL starts get traded to Oakland, then find a new life and go back to the top?
Same thing with older claimers - they start to feel good again, then they run back to their numbers. Class is speed, but it is form and experience, too. And maybe even environment - remeber Fourstardave at Saratoga for what, 9 years?
Ability is no good without desire, heart, conditioning, and experience. Put that into a number.
(FH just might!)

Tom

superfecta
01-08-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Tuffmug
Artax was a state bred!

And he could take a punch too!

Good posts yall....but I think we agree more than disagree,too bad.

NoDayJob
01-08-2002, 09:37 PM
Using the same analogy of the high school runner vs. the Olympic runners- condition also has a role to play in the final time. Et gratia- The Olympic runners all have sprained muscles and the high school runner is as limber as a rubber band. The point being a well conditioned lower class runner/horse will beat an out of condition higher class runner/horse. Now the problem is how to tell which runner/horse is in true top condition. -NDJ

ranchwest
01-08-2002, 09:58 PM
Certainly horses go up and down the class ladder and I'm probably more of a form handicapper than most here, but I still contend that given comparable circumstances, I have to lean with the horse who has been running in open company. I'm surprised, shocked actually, that there is so much disagreement with this premise.

four m
01-08-2002, 10:19 PM
hello,
i know some sheets players who shake at the mention of class. i've noticed --example--
last 3 sheet #'s-from 3 back to last-

if he loses next race they say horse going backwards, i say horse running at higher class--if he runs well, they say horse circled back-i notice horse dropped in class. (would never tell them that)
mike

SAL
01-08-2002, 10:35 PM
For an example in the discussion of class, one has to look no further than in maiden races. How many times have you seen it, a horse runs horribly in MSW races, beaten double digit lengths. Then, drops into a MCL race and all of a sudden he's a superhorse. The Beyers almost always go up. Did the horse all of a sudden get faster? No, he's running against cheaper horses, maybe where he belongs. You still get decent prices sometimes in situations like this.

FortuneHunter
01-08-2002, 10:48 PM
The question is why does its Beyer go up??

Is it because, the horse suddenly finds itself in contention, and says to itself:

"Shit man, I can beat these horses, I looked the #6 in the eye and he said have it your way, so I am a gonna try extra hard today because damit, I can win this sucker, hold on Miglet, I am going for the lead".

superfecta
01-08-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by FortuneHunter
The question is why does its Beyer go up??

Is it because, the horse suddenly finds itself in contention, and says to itself:

"Shit man, I can beat these horses, I looked the #6 in the eye and he said have it your way, so I am a gonna try extra hard today because damit, I can win this sucker, hold on Miglet, I am going for the lead".
Does the horse really get faster,or does it just meet up with horses that run similar races as it does,and that makes it competitive?I think Beyer figs mistakenly go up ,even though the DRF speed rating stays in the same range as the previous race where the horse ran "bad".

ranchwest
01-09-2002, 08:56 AM
I'll trust competition before I will times.

hurrikane
01-09-2002, 10:02 AM
I say the speed figure does go up. When the horse is 15 lengths behind and plodding along. The jockey..the trainer..hell..even the horse knows it's not going to happen today. Kick back..relax..maybe get in the race next time. Now, it a horse is running 4th 3 lengths back the jockey is pushing, the trainer is bitching..even the horse says "Damn...I got a chance at this..lets turn it on".

I think the tough question is when a horse drops...how much will he improve 5 pts..10 pts? That's the tough one.

I agree with RW...competitive races are the key. When you don't have one to compare with..as in a mdn or mcl that when it gets tricky.

Also...Beyer did believe in class. He didn't feel the small drops or rises made a difference.

smf
01-09-2002, 12:51 PM
Hurrikane,

Good point about a jock not pushing a thoroughly beaten horse sometimes. I've seen 2 trainers completely embarrass their jockeys in front of the crowd after whipping a horse that was not taking any purse $$.

As for class drops and rises-----, some circuits that have a shortage of runners you'll see a # of runners drop (or rise) into one particular race. The trainer(s) might not really want to drop his runner for that race, it's just that there may not be another race for that class/ condition in the condition book for the foreseeable future. They're forced to run in what's available as opposed to running up the bills w/o income.

FortuneHunter
01-09-2002, 01:24 PM
In cases where the track is a bull ring, or short on horses, the Racing Secretary "requests" a trainer to run a horse. Stall space is in jepordy if they don't.

This discuusion also lends creedance to trip handicapping with video replay. You should be able to see who is riding and who is loafing, except of course it is Miglet doin' the riding.

Atten: NYRA Trip Handicappers - Fox Sports NY is replaying the entire card in 30 minutes every morning a 8:30am.

They should be consistent on on time. Nets, Devils, Mets don't play at no 8:30 am, so they should be able to keep the schedule.