PDA

View Full Version : COMPACT DISC QUESTION

WINMANWIN
05-07-2004, 04:22 PM
I'm curious about cd's and what kinds they offer. I have cd-r that can record but does not RE-WRITE or erase. I'm wondering if I can purchase cd's that record and erase.....tks for any cd info:confused:

SAL
05-07-2004, 04:49 PM
They do make re-writable cd's that you can reuse, but they are not as reliable. Sometimes the cd-rom has problems reading these types of discs.

GameTheory
05-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Even the re-writable ones you can't erase. But you can add more later until it is full (CD-RW). CD-Rs you can write once, and only once, even if you only use a small fraction of the capacity...

WINMANWIN
05-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Tks fella's you would think with the enhanced technology nowadays, the cd's would be better equipped for writeover's.
would the digital disc's, Write over, I do have a digital cd, but its not a write drive...........:confused:

JustRalph
05-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by WINMANWIN
Tks fella's you would think with the enhanced technology nowadays, the cd's would be better equipped for writeover's.
would the digital disc's, Write over, I do have a digital cd, but its not a write drive...........:confused:

Win...you can re-write on those disks........you have to format them....similar to a hard drive .....and it takes forever.......the reason these disks are rarely used is that the plain old CDR's are so cheap.......nobody cares at 10 cents a cdr.......toss em out and burn a new one.......you can burn 10 new ones before you format that old CDRW.........and spend a whole buck.........

kingfin66
05-08-2004, 04:52 PM
I always enjoyed the zip drive on my old pc. It saved lots of info very quickly and takes up little space (imagine a thicker version of a 3.5" floppy). For some reason, they never caught on for data storage. Maybe it is because they are so expensive.

JustRalph
05-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by kingfin66
I always enjoyed the zip drive on my old pc. It saved lots of info very quickly and takes up little space (imagine a thicker version of a 3.5" floppy). For some reason, they never caught on for data storage. Maybe it is because they are so expensive.

might have something do to with the software that Iomega produced for them.........It Sucked! and stopped other hardware from running...........

Also.....the price of the zip disc was 13 bucks and you could put more than twice the same data on a CDR for about 30 cents at the time.....

Hammerhead
05-08-2004, 10:03 PM
I believe it depends on your system and speed I have been using RW's for a while and have no problem erasing and reusing. In fact I use them to transfer info between my 2 systems every day unless I use the router. 1 is a 750 and the other is a 3g.
1 uses ME and the other XP pro. The 750 is a Gateway and the other is a Dell. They each have different CD makers and software. Just like using the old "A" Drive. I guess if configured correctly they should work the same.