PDA

View Full Version : Any contest ideas?

Bubbles
05-07-2004, 04:14 PM
My KY Derby contest has been over for about a week now. I'm throwing around the idea of a contest during the Travers Festival of the Saratoga meet. If anyone is interested in that idea, or has another one for a contest before that, post them here, I'll be glad to run a contest that people want to happen. Thanks!

kingfin66
05-07-2004, 09:02 PM
How about a full card handicapping contest. The contestants pick one racing card for a weekend day. They post 1 horse per race for the entire card. Points get scored for payoff on $2WP bets. Since tracks have 8-10 races, the final tally would need to be based on ROI rather than total dollars won.

The drawback to such event is that with contestants choice of track, there could be many tracks played which would making scoring a hard task. An alternative would be to designate a choice of one card per Saturday or Sunday and let the contestants choose which day they play. Or something along those lines.

ceejay
05-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Hwo about a "race of the week" contest in the same format as the KD contest using the DRF races of the week? This week would have been the LA Times and Nassau Co. Maybe run it Memorial to Labor Days as a summer contest.

The only format change that I would like to see is the ability to spread the $200 over both races as the player wants. That way the player could bet $150 in one race and $50 on the other or whatever.

Tom
05-07-2004, 11:29 PM
I like one where everyone gets a starting bankroll, say $200, then we get to pick how much we bet on each race, and get to pass so many races. Say there are 20 mandatory races and 20 optional, you have to bet 10 of them. You can bet any amount, up to a certain limit, so that you can go broke before the contest is over. That way, you mix money management into the mix and reward risks taken on longshots. If you really like a horse, you can unload on him, and if it wins you get rewarded, if it loses, you get your *ss kicked. Every bet matters.

Shacopate
05-08-2004, 02:00 AM
I really like Ceejays idea. Especially the Memorial Day to Labor Day summer contest theme.

Also, I think Tom has a good suggestion. The chance to "load up" and "go broke" are real life opportunities that handicappers face every day.

Maybe start with a $1000 dollar bankroll with the option to pass races. When your at zero, you're out!

Great job btw on the road to the derby contest.

headhawg
05-08-2004, 01:38 PM
I also like Tom's idea. I actually would like to try participating in a contest, work permitting.

B. Comin'
05-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Bubbles,

How about 'best best of the day contest'. Just remember, it's your contest and you set the rules. I'll play!

ceejay
05-08-2004, 04:07 PM
I like the idea of a single bankroll for the summer, but maybe more than $200, or $1000. What about $200/week or $3000 total?

gene
05-09-2004, 04:27 PM
I like the memorial to laber day idea.
using a race card each week selecxted by bubbles.

you did a great job on the last contest and i will defi
natly play in the next one

gene