PDA

View Full Version : Fall Churchill meet

Valuist
11-27-2014, 12:15 PM
It may be a little under the radar, but this meet has become an excellent betting meet once again. Go back a couple years; you basically had most of your ship ins coming from Kee (Poly), AP (Poly) and TP (Poly). With the emphasis on 2 year old racing, most of these races were complete guesswork as the bulk of the horses had never run on real dirt. Now, CD takes over the KY Sept dates and Kee goes to real dirt. More horses coming from Ind, and those from Arlington have most likely run at CD or Kee in the interim.

Robert Goren
11-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Still on my boycott list. There absolutely no reason any bettor should wager at that joint after the slap in the face they gave us. If you wager there, you are proving the people right who say horseplayers are degenerate gamblers.

olddaddy
11-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Still on my boycott list. There absolutely no reason any bettor should wager at that joint after the slap in the face they gave us. If you wager there, you are proving the people right who say horseplayers are degenerate gamblers.

Agree but I still play oaks and derby day, I probably shouldnt but I do.

DeltaLover
11-27-2014, 10:26 PM
It is going to take a while for me to resume my CD betting. During the fall meeting I payed very little, if any, attention to it... I have enough to do with NYRA and South Cal, to start following CD again..

Stillriledup
11-27-2014, 11:30 PM

Thank you for posting this, just saying no to these people and this place makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Makes me feel like i stand for something, its a great feeling.

BIG49010
11-28-2014, 01:40 PM
They cut off AmWest from CD properties, so they lost any chance of me betting into their pools.

arw629
11-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Can you guys elaborate on why you boycott CD? I play their races occasionally, but I find myself zoning in on NYRA and my home track Mountaineer at night....well I guess Mahoning Valley should be considered my home track since I live only 15 minutes away, but I have a passion for cheap hot dogs, IC light, and Peter Berry on Sunday nights

Tall One
11-28-2014, 04:41 PM
I'll bet the Oaks, the Derby card, and that's it.

Agree with Goren's post..used to enjoy going there a few times in the spring/summer meet, particularly on Steven Foster Day, but I wont do that anymore.

NYRA/GP/OP/KEE, hell even Turfway..I've got plenty of other options on that circuit. :)

Stillriledup
11-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Can you guys elaborate on why you boycott CD? I play their races occasionally, but I find myself zoning in on NYRA and my home track Mountaineer at night....well I guess Mahoning Valley should be considered my home track since I live only 15 minutes away, but I have a passion for cheap hot dogs, IC light, and Peter Berry on Sunday nights

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112606&highlight=boycott+churchill

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113176&highlight=boycott+churchill

Valuist
11-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Principles are good for horse bettors. Good betting opportunities are better. While some of you are patting yourselves on the back, you've missed out on a number of good betting opportunities.

Stillriledup
11-30-2014, 03:40 AM
Principles are good for horse bettors. Good betting opportunities are better. While some of you are patting yourselves on the back, you've missed out on a number of good betting opportunities.

You can say that about any situation, any track, any day of the year. But, if you let large racetrack conglomerates treat you as an insignificant part of their lives, how does that translate into good betting opportunities?

The good opportunities you have today might be gone tomorrow if nobody stands up to the bully.

Some_One
11-30-2014, 04:36 AM
a 3-1 horse who should be 2-1 is a good bet no matter what idiots run the track. It's not like you're playing against the track, you're playing against other bettors.

Stillriledup
11-30-2014, 06:05 AM
a 3-1 horse who should be 2-1 is a good bet no matter what idiots run the track. It's not like you're playing against the track, you're playing against other bettors.

That's the small picture. You're right, give anyone 3-1 on inherent 2-1s and they'll make bank.

BUT, if you let the bully be the bully, they can just keep raising takeout, after all, if the bettors didn't say no, what's to prevent them from raising it again and again. All those 2-1s that should be 3-1 go away if they raise takeout again. That's the big picture, the long term view.

pandy
11-30-2014, 07:32 AM
It may be a little under the radar, but this meet has become an excellent betting meet once again. Go back a couple years; you basically had most of your ship ins coming from Kee (Poly), AP (Poly) and TP (Poly). With the emphasis on 2 year old racing, most of these races were complete guesswork as the bulk of the horses had never run on real dirt. Now, CD takes over the KY Sept dates and Kee goes to real dirt. More horses coming from Ind, and those from Arlington have most likely run at CD or Kee in the interim.

I agree. I started following it a few weeks ago, good meet.

Robert Goren
11-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Sometimes you have to take stand which is against your short term interests to improve your long term outlook. I severely doubt there are enough good betting opportunities at CD to warrant a look even if I wasn't boycotting the place. In recent years, the place was God awful for finding bettable races. I fail to see how hiking the takeout is going to turn bad betting races into good ones.

The only way to convince tracks not raise takeout is to show them that they not lose handle, but that they lose so much handle that they actually lose money by doing so. We need to teach race tracks and horsemen raising takeout will not provide more money for purses and that cutting takeout will. If that means passing up a few 2/1 horses going off at 3/1, so be it. With the higher takeout , there can not that many any how.

castaway01
11-30-2014, 08:38 AM
I've been playing a little CD. I always liked betting the track and have done well there. As far as the boycott, I'm more of a NYRA, Tampa, mid-Atlantic tracks player, so I doubt CDI noticed the hundreds of dollars I stopped betting there. :rolleyes: Actually, the mere fact that SRU and Goren, two people whose posts are consistently wrong about everything, support the boycott and a sharp player like Valuist says Churchill was a good betting meet tells me I should've been betting CD heavily.

therussmeister
11-30-2014, 08:56 AM
As I said in the original boycott thread, if raising takeout is intrinsically bad for business organizing a boycotting is unnecessary. If everyone makes financial decisions that best serve their current needs, nature will take its course.

As for me, since I am heavily into superfectas, ironically, if I boycott Churchill I will replace it with a track that has a higher takeout rate for superfectas. I believe Churchill still has the lowest superfecta rate of all tracks currently running.

Robert Goren
11-30-2014, 09:18 AM
I've been playing a little CD. I always liked betting the track and have done well there. As far as the boycott, I'm more of a NYRA, Tampa, mid-Atlantic tracks player, so I doubt CDI noticed the hundreds of dollars I stopped betting there. :rolleyes: Actually, the mere fact that SRU and Goren, two people whose posts are consistently wrong about everything, support the boycott and a sharp player like Valuist says Churchill was a good betting meet tells me I should've been betting CD heavily.Neither I or SRU started the boycott of CD. I just joined in. But if you read either of two threads, you find that most of the most respected posters here were behind it. I am smart enough to know that if we keep rewarding takeout rates hikes with our business, they will keep raising them. I bet so little that nobody much cares about where I bet, but I do what I can to help the cause of lower takeout for all.

Tom
11-30-2014, 09:48 AM

No, we have just found them at other tracks.
There is more to life that CD, NYRA, SA, DMR, KEE.......a lot more, and some think better as well. I do not to bet any of theses tracks, and will not after yesterday.

To each his own. Add me to SRU and Bobby.

Jeff P
12-02-2014, 09:18 PM
DRF.com is reporting a 19% drop in 2014 handle vs. 2013 for the recently concluded Churchill fall meet and cited 'dissatisfaction from horseplayers in the North American simulcast market' because of the takeout increase as a contributing factor.

Kudos to DRF for some honest reporting.

Handle plunges again at Churchill fall meet:
http://www.drf.com/news/handle-plunges-again-churchill-fall-meet

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – All-sources handle at the Churchill Downs fall meet that ended Sunday was down significantly again, continuing a downward trend at this historic track.

Gross handle at a 24-day meet that began Oct. 26 was $95,225,100, for a daily average of $3,967,712. The gross was down 19 percent from the 2013 fall meet, where handle was $117.6 million for 25 days, and the daily average was down 16.7 percent.

Daily handle at the 2013 fall meet was down 15.3 percent from the 2012 fall meet, where 21 dates were run. Moreover, handle at the 2014 spring meet was down 28 percent from 2013, not including the Kentucky Derby and Oaks, and handle at the 2014 September meet was down 16 percent from the inaugural September meet in 2013.

Churchill officials long have claimed that they are at a competitive disadvantage without the gaming revenue that rival tracks can funnel into purses. Another factor in play: Churchill raised wagering takeout to the statutory maximum this year, leading to dissatisfaction from horseplayers in the North American simulcast market.

-jp

Stillriledup
12-02-2014, 09:24 PM
I've been playing a little CD. I always liked betting the track and have done well there. As far as the boycott, I'm more of a NYRA, Tampa, mid-Atlantic tracks player, so I doubt CDI noticed the hundreds of dollars I stopped betting there. :rolleyes: Actually, the mere fact that SRU and Goren, two people whose posts are consistently wrong about everything, support the boycott and a sharp player like Valuist says Churchill was a good betting meet tells me I should've been betting CD heavily.

This goes a bit deeper than supporting any kind of Boycott, i have to tell you i care more about my fellow player and fellow man than i do about some slimy gaming company, so i could take them or leave them, but making a stand against something like takeout raises is supporting your fellow players, if that means i'm wrong, i don't want to be right.