PDA

View Full Version : Yet another brave police officer protecting and serving

iceknight
11-21-2014, 07:06 PM
At least the nypd is not trying to cover it up from the get go this time around.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/22/nyregion/new-york-police-officer-fatally-shoots-brooklyn-man.html?_r=0

"I felt threatened for my life" seems to be the most common excuse in the rampant killing of people by police. Also note that once someone is dead they cannot speak for themselves to explain any circumstance.

Every time a cop steps out, he (or she) is not at war and neither is their life under constant threat.

In the same situation, if a cop in the stairwell of a private building gets shot by some licensed gun carrying private citizen who was fearing for their life, how exactly would they be treated?

MONEY
11-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Aug 15, 2014 - A new FBI database said about 400 people are killed by police each year. ... On average, local police forces kill 400 people every year in the ...
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/local-cops-kill-400-people-year-report-article-1.1904876

--------------------------------------------------
A total of 1,501 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty during the past 10 years, an average of one death every 58 hours or 150 per year. There were 100 law enforcement officers killed in 2013

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/enforcement/

thaskalos
11-21-2014, 08:53 PM
Aren't the cops supposed to yell out some kind of warning before they discharge their weapons...or is that just in the movies?

MONEY
11-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Aren't the cops supposed to yell out some kind of warning before they discharge their weapons...or is that just in the movies?

Police officers are trained to yell "Police don't move",
but only if they are not in immediate threat of harm.

The officer in the above case should have never drawn his gun.
He will lose his job & probably do time for manslaughter.

JustRalph
11-21-2014, 10:02 PM
From the article

"“You have to have to be justified in having it out and having one in the chamber,” Mr. Kornberg said."

Utter bullshit. Every cop in America has a round chambered.

They say the stairwell is one of the most dangerous places in the project. Officer discretion. No problem having a weapon out. You just have to use good practices.

Accidental discharges happen, and are often tragic. officers shoot other officers in this situation all the time. If he did just accidentally discharge his weapon, it's a tragedy. It's hard to prove otherwise, but it's hard for Sharpton to make a civil rights case if it's just an accidental discharge. Sad all the way around.

Tom
11-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Sharpton - shows up like a fart after chili and beer.
Just a lot less useful.
Coast to Coast racism from this bigot.
If he is involve, the cop should get a medal.

iceknight
11-21-2014, 11:48 PM
"They" say the stairwell is one of the most dangerous places in the project. Officer discretion. No problem having a weapon out. You just have to use good practices.

Accidental discharges happen, and are often tragic. officers shoot other officers in this situation all the time. If he did just accidentally discharge his weapon, it's a tragedy. It's hard to prove otherwise, but it's hard for Sharpton to make a civil rights case if it's just an accidental discharge. Sad all the way around. You are the one that is bringing Sharpton (the scum)'s name up here and trying to distract from the issue. Fact is someone died. Someone that is not a police officer, dying at the hands of a police officer is easily termed as "tragedy" when it is actually more of an indicator of a systemic problem.

If the roles are reversed, even in a dark stairwell or on private property, by a private citizen fearing for their safety, with a legally owned and licensed firearm, it would NOT be called a "tragedy". The person pulling the trigger would be in jail first (if they have already not been killed) and they would have been charged with the most serious offenses possible.

Fact is that the police is militarized and acting all the time like it is at war. If the police drop that attitude and start enforcing the law instead of being the executor of capital punishment, it would help. This was a false assessment of threat and a reckless discharge, while being substantially intentional to neutralize the "perceived" threat. To term it accidental is highly unfortunate.

JustRalph
11-22-2014, 04:03 AM
X

You are the one that is bringing Sharpton (the scum)'s name up here and trying to distract from the issue. Fact is someone died. Someone that is not a police officer, dying at the hands of a police officer is easily termed as "tragedy" when it is actually more of an indicator of a systemic problem.

I'm not trying to distract from anything. The article says the Deputy police commissioner spoke with Sharpton. My comment about Sharpton is a result of that in the article.

If the roles are reversed, even in a dark stairwell or on private property, by a private citizen fearing for their safety, with a legally owned and licensed firearm, it would NOT be called a "tragedy". The person pulling the trigger would be in jail first (if they have already not been killed) and they would have been charged with the most serious offenses possible.

Accidental discharges happen all the time. And people get charged. If you don't think there is a difference here, you are wrong. On duty Cops are performing the duties assigned them by the city. That's why they are treated differently. It is presumed that they are not an immediate threat to public safety based on their position of trust already acquired. There is no reason to think that they will shoot anybody else prior to being charged etc. it's not that way with everyday citizens. They must bail out, face arraignment and be evaluated prior to being released. etc. cops have already been evaluated etc. it occurs during their hiring process and during their training. face it, they are treated differently for legitimate reasons. Including when incarcerated.

Fact is that the police is militarized and acting all the time like it is at war. If the police drop that attitude and start enforcing the law instead of being the executor of capital punishment, it would help. This was a false assessment of threat and a reckless discharge, while being substantially intentional to neutralize the "perceived" threat. To term it accidental is highly unfortunate.

Bullshit on a stick. You are taking huge leaps. You don't know that. You are assuming this officer committed a premeditated murder. You and I know nothing of the sort. Let the investigation play out. I agree the police in this country have gone way overboard. It's a product of allowing governments to get out of control.

The same people in New York who allowed the Government to take away their 2nd Amendment rights last year cannot now sit back and whine that the government (the police are the foot soldiers of government) is becoming too powerful or militaristic after allowing the government to walk on them. If you are going to live in New York, expect your government to do whatever it wants. I doubt that an 18 month rookie Cop is an appropriate target for complaining about over-active cops. By the way, calling something a tragedy is not laying aside blame. Just because I called it a tragedy doesn't imply I was excusing anyone

JustRalph
11-22-2014, 08:01 AM
More

http://nypost.com/2014/11/21/police-fatally-shoot-man-in-brooklyn-building/

The round may have been a ricochet

http://nypost.com/2014/11/22/tenants-live-in-fear-at-the-notorious-pink-houses/

Let's throw some light bulbs at the projects.......that'll keep em.....

iceknight
11-22-2014, 11:11 AM
XI agree with several of your points, but I am not speculating murder. But why does this happen too often?

if accidental discharges happen ALL the time - then it is not accidental, it is a systemic issue. people's lives cannot be brought back.

Sorry I glazed over the sharpton note there (that liar gets everywhere).

What I am still darned tired if how "police work is dangerous" is mentioned all the time when you have three times more number of civilians being killed at the hands of police - where they may have been innocent and did not warrant capital punishment. Being a civilian is dangerous in this country now. That is what it is.
More police die in traffic accidents anyway, than being shot by would be ambushers or someone like that.