PDA

View Full Version : Back to Back track records broken

lamboguy
11-19-2014, 08:57 PM
at the mountain tonight in the 5th and 6th race that was held for the last 14 years.

bello
11-19-2014, 09:03 PM
They must be running on ice.

Stillriledup
11-19-2014, 10:06 PM
The horse in the 5th race was a dog on paper, and ran off like a wild horse strangled, he could have won by a lot more, not sure where that performance came from, looked like a superhorse and coming on form was a commoner.

Shemp Howard
11-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Must be milkshake Friday:eek:

fr

mountainman
11-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Strange evening. Just posted blog on it.

mountainman
11-24-2014, 04:36 PM
The horse in the 5th race ran off like a wild horse strangled, he could have won by a lot more

With all respect, sir, I could not disagree more.

Stillriledup
11-24-2014, 05:33 PM
With all respect, sir, I could not disagree more.

Elaborate if you can. I thought the horse was the worse of the entry, but maybe i was wrong and they were really betting on the winner? He didnt' show me anything on paper and essentially exploded, i had to take a double take at his PPs after he won to make sure a horse with PPs can look like that under the wire.

What did i miss?

mountainman
11-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Elaborate if you can. I thought the horse was the worse of the entry, but maybe i was wrong and they were really betting on the winner? He didnt' show me anything on paper and essentially exploded, i had to take a double take at his PPs after he won to make sure a horse with PPs can look like that under the wire.

What did i miss?

I agree the horse had mediocre form, but disagree that the performance was exceptional. It was exceptional for Silver Antelope, but not so big in the grand scheme of things-or even for the condition. I touch on his effort in the blog posted today.

Stillriledup
11-24-2014, 05:59 PM
I agree the horse had mediocre form, but disagree that the performance was exceptional. It was exceptional for Silver Antelope, but not so big in the grand scheme of things-or even for the condition. I touch on his effort in the blog posted today.

Let me clarify. I dont think this is any kind of good horse going forward, im just questioning the form reversal.

pandy
11-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Was it an off track?

therussmeister
11-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Was it an off track?
Frozen, I believe. The winners received Beyers of 83 and 85. which were 23 and 16 points higher than their most recent races.

Stillriledup
11-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Frozen, I believe. The winners received Beyers of 83 and 85. which were 23 and 16 points higher than their most recent races.

Those are phenominal bet-againsts next time at reduced prices, hopefully the track is listed as fast in the DRF. ;)

pandy
11-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Those are phenominal bet-againsts next time at reduced prices, hopefully the track is listed as fast in the DRF. ;)

I agree, definitely bounce prospects.

Stillriledup
11-24-2014, 09:12 PM
I agree, definitely bounce prospects.

Even if they don't bounce, they're good bet againsts, they'll be overbet due to their fame and notoriety and are now known around the globe as track record holders in America.

Their international fame will get them overbet! :D

mountainman
11-24-2014, 11:22 PM
Beyers , raw final times, and future performances aside, both record setters are likely to be overbet next time because neither effort was as good as it might seem.

Nobody behind Silver Antelope brought their A-game, and Present Course was flattered when the pace fell apart at the peak of his customary turn-move.

cj
11-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Tracks records are almost always more about the track than the horse that set it, which is why for the most part they are worthless.

mountainman
11-25-2014, 12:38 PM
Without getting into run-ups, true measurements or wind, I'd guess some surface at some time has played quicker than mnr's did towards the end of Wednesday's card. And I'd love someone to establish that. In a sense, the final portion of my blog is a challenge to do just that.

Tup? Emd? old Caliente? Some long forgotten frozen track at Bowie back in '66??? Any takers? What's the fastest any strip has played for a single card in the history of racing????

ultracapper
11-26-2014, 05:17 AM
Find a day when Longacres was juiced up for Chinook Pass, and you'll find a fast strip. That horse didn't even need any help, but I'm sure they tried to help him anyway.

Stillriledup
11-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Without getting into run-ups, true measurements or wind, I'd guess some surface at some time has played quicker than mnr's did towards the end of Wednesday's card. And I'd love someone to establish that. In a sense, the final portion of my blog is a challenge to do just that.

Tup? Emd? old Caliente? Some long forgotten frozen track at Bowie back in '66??? Any takers? What's the fastest any strip has played for a single card in the history of racing????

Opening day Dec 26, 2010 at SA, The Factor went 106.98 among others. Malibu went 119 and change for 7/8ths.

Still probably slower than what you had the other day.

thespaah
11-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Beyers , raw final times, and future performances aside, both record setters are likely to be overbet next time because neither effort was as good as it might seem.

Nobody behind Silver Antelope brought their A-game, and Present Course was flattered when the pace fell apart at the peak of his customary turn-move.
Does Mnr no longer put the additive into the mixture of the dirt course that prevents or retards freezing?

forced89
11-27-2014, 09:49 AM
They must be running on ice.

This happened a number of years ago at PN. Renpher Stable ran a run of the mill claimer who broke the track record (still stands) for a mile on a frozen track. He was claimed out of the race and never to my knowledge ever raced again.

mountainman
11-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Opening day Dec 26, 2010 at SA, The Factor went 106.98 among others. Malibu went 119 and change for 7/8ths.

Still probably slower than what you had the other day.

Indeed. If 'The Factor' runs a virtual 1:07, 'Ms Jean Elizabeth' doesn't run 1:08.

mountainman
11-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Does Mnr no longer put the additive into the mixture of the dirt course that prevents or retards freezing?

The mountain-main doesn't freeze rock-hard in the way some other surfaces might. With a higher gravel content, the cushion instead forms clods in cold weather and can actually play slower, since horses can't get a moist, bouncy push-off.

Rather than frozen cushion creating the fast times last Wednesday, my guess is the maintenance crew endeavored to keep clodding at a minimum by raking much of the top layer off. The base was probably frozen, and according to several riders, horses were striking right through a shallow cushion and directly onto that base.

Stillriledup
11-27-2014, 11:25 PM
The mountain-main doesn't freeze rock-hard in the way some other surfaces might. With a higher gravel content, the cushion instead forms clods in cold weather and can actually play slower, since horses can't get a moist, bouncy push-off.

Rather than frozen cushion creating the fast times last Wednesday, my guess is the maintenance crew endeavored to keep clodding at a minimum by raking much of the top layer off. The base was probably frozen, and according to several riders, horses were striking right through a shallow cushion and directly onto that base.

Want an idea for a blog entry for early next year? Follow all the winners and maybe the runners up for that night and see "where are the now" after a winning or strong runner up performance. Take all the winners and a few 2nd place finishers who ran their eyeballs out and see how they came back.

mountainman
11-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Want an idea for a blog entry for early next year? Follow all the winners and maybe the runners up for that night and see "where are the now" after a winning or strong runner up performance. Take all the winners and a few 2nd place finishers who ran their eyeballs out and see how they came back.

Useful exercise for handicappers, if a bit too thin for the blog.

Al Gobbi
11-28-2014, 12:37 AM
Churchill also had the one mile track record broken this fall that occurred after the track froze and they had to cancel a few days. I believe the time was faster than any other mile race there this fall by over three seconds.

Stillriledup
12-18-2014, 09:42 PM
The "Antelope" is running in 2 mins at Charlestown in the 7th. He's a billion to one, nobody was fooled (unfortunately)

Stillriledup
12-18-2014, 09:49 PM
The horse in the 5th race was a dog on paper, and ran off like a wild horse strangled, he could have won by a lot more, not sure where that performance came from, looked like a superhorse and coming on form was a commoner.

No surprise, back to a commoner. Off at 36-1 was virtually eased in the stretch in the 7th at CT (12/18)

Stillriledup
01-22-2015, 09:47 PM

This "superhorse" showed Beyers of 21, 41, 60 in the 3 starts before his 83 on Nov 19th. He ran on Dec 18th and ran a 19. Now, he's back at CT tonight...racing in a few minutes.

Stillriledup
01-22-2015, 10:08 PM
This "superhorse" showed Beyers of 21, 41, 60 in the 3 starts before his 83 on Nov 19th. He ran on Dec 18th and ran a 19. Now, he's back at CT tonight...racing in a few minutes.

another disasterous performance for this wonderhorse from Mtn.

Seems like everyone and their mother knew this horse had "no shot" to duplicate that form at another track except the connections. Always remember buy low sell high. Not sure why you wouldn't sell a horse like this off a "Smashing" win.