PDA

View Full Version : The Imitation Game

lansdale
11-18-2014, 11:01 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to put this thread, but I know there are some people here involved with IT and computers - might be of interest. PA can always move.

In the IG, a British-made film opening within the next week or so, Alan Turing the legendary mathematician whose work was central to the development of the computer, leads a motley crew of boffins as they attempt to crack the seemingly unbreakable German code generated by the Enigma machine. I read this script a couple of years back after Leo di Caprio optioned it off the Blacklist, the list of Hollywood's best yet unmade scripts. Apparently, he decided that the part of a British math genius was too much of a stretch, and Benedict Cummerbatch ended up in the role. The draft I saw was pretty good, but haven't seen the film, although C-man is being touted for an Oscar. Audiences may be disappointed that it deals more with Turing than with the processes of code-breaking, but it's much more entertaining than, say 'A Beautiful Mind', which it somewhat resembles. Churchill said that Turing was the single most important Brit in bringing the war to an end - likely a year early, saving millions of lives. Too bad the Britsh didn't treat him better.

JustRalph
11-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Turing actually came up in a conversation last Xmas in a large family gathering. Only a couple of us knew who he was. I saw the trailer the other day. Looks good.

Tragic how he was treated. Every educated person on the planet should be aware of his contribution to the war effort and computers. Every person should be aware of the terrible way his own country treated him afterwards