PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Can't Pass Immigration Reform

horses4courses
11-17-2014, 01:57 PM
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-11-17/republicans-cant-pass-immigration-reform

http://media.gotraffic.net/images/i.jFUBvD7Zgo/v1/640x-1.jpg

boxcar
11-17-2014, 01:59 PM
What do you have against the rule of law, horsey?

horses4courses
11-17-2014, 02:15 PM
What do you have against the rule of law, horsey?

and which rule of law would that be?

Clocker
11-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Illegal immigration threatens American jobs and wages according to Obama:

There’s no denying that many blacks share the same anxieties as many whites about the wave of illegal immigration flooding our Southern border—a sense that what’s happening now is fundamentally different from what has gone on before.

Not all these fears are irrational.

The number of immigrants added to the labor force every year is of a magnitude not seen in this country for over a century. If this huge influx of mostly low-skill workers provides some benefits to the economy as a whole—especially by keeping our workforce young, in contrast to an increasingly geriatric Europe and Japan—it also threatens to depress further the wages of blue-collar Americans and put strains on an already overburdened safety net.

Story here. (http://hotair.com/archives/2014/11/17/immigration-obama-set-to-do-what-he-said-in-2006-would-hurt-american-blue-collar-workers/)

Tom
11-17-2014, 02:45 PM
and which rule of law would that be?

Uh, the Constitution?:rolleyes:

horses4courses
11-17-2014, 02:51 PM

You see, that's the thing.

Your interpretation of all things constitutional, along with millions like you,
is not the same as mine. There are millions who share my views, too.

Can't we all just get along? :faint:

TJDave
11-17-2014, 03:06 PM

Uh, the 14th amendment? ;)

BlueShoe
11-17-2014, 04:48 PM
There are millions who share my views, too.
More millions share my view, which matches the photo in the OP.

Clocker
11-17-2014, 05:58 PM
The entire premise of the article is wrong.

The White House is preparing the nation for ambitious executive action on immigration by President Barack Obama. If Obama follows through (and not to would be political suicide), controversy will rage. Behind the shouting, the expected move will make some Democrats nervous. But it will prove especially vexing to Republican leaders. The reason is simple: Republicans must answer to the Republican base, and the only solution acceptable to the base is noxious to everyone else.

Liberals seem only capable of entertaining one idea at a time, and assume that anyone that opposes their solution to a problem doesn't want to solve the problem. In the liberal "mind", anyone opposed to ObamaCare wants poor people dying in the streets. And apparently they think that anyone opposed to amnesty thinks that the "only solution acceptable" is massive deportation.

There are other solutions acceptable to those on the right, and they have been discussed ad nauseam, apparently falling on deaf liberal ears.

Robert Goren
11-17-2014, 06:33 PM
The republicans could pass a great grandmother driving a 48 Packard.:)

delayjf
11-17-2014, 07:59 PM
There are millions who share my views, too.

And what exactly is your position - open borders??

horses4courses
11-17-2014, 08:11 PM
And what exactly is your position - open borders??

Not at all.
The border needs to be secured as best we can afford.
Most reasonable people agree on that.

The difference of opinion largely concerns amnesty.
What I think is fair differs from those on the Right.

Track Collector
11-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Not at all.

Not the Democrats..........they believe in opening the floodgates for the purpose of increasing their voter base.

Also, we could afford a lot more if cronies were not being paid off thru "stimulus" monies.

horses4courses
11-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Not the Democrats..........they believe in opening the floodgates for the purpose of increasing their voter base.

Also, we could afford a lot more if cronies were not being paid off thru "stimulus" monies.
That is what right wing media tells us.
The democratic voter base is strong enough without unsecured borders.

Secure borders are in the best interests of all Americans.
Deporting illegal immigrants with criminal records is equally so.
A wide ranging amnesty for productive people, plus second generation
and beyond who are not documented is, also, in my view a necessity.

riskman
11-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Obama just had his clock cleaned on Nov.4th. The Democrats and their policies are a dismal failure. If he was the British Prime minister, he would tender his resignation. Yet,he plans to issue executive orders on immigration despite the rejection of of his policies.Republicans should pass a stand-alone border-security bill, and then dare Senate Democrats to filibuster it and dare the president to veto it.
Obama is usurping Congressional power by issuing executive orders on immigration reform. The Congress would then be within its rights to declare all-out political warfare, one being his impeachment.

Tom
11-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Not at all.

The difference of opinion largely concerns amnesty.
What I think is fair differs from those on the Right.

Balderdash. Tell your daughter not to get too pregnant.

Funny how you, and millions like you, think allowing the president do whatever he wants to is ok now, but when BUSH had congressional approval, it was wrong.

You, and millions like you, were REJECTED by AMERICA this month.
To run out now, like the chicken -shit coward he is, Obama is spitting in the face of the American voters. WE ELECTED who we want to represent us, and WE REJECTED his polices. The classless pig now says to us he will do what he pleases?

Track Collector
11-17-2014, 09:23 PM

Because the left wing media doesn't want to tell you the truth. :p

Tom
11-17-2014, 09:23 PM

The democrat base is too lazy and stupid to show up to vote.
Not without free phones and promises of making the republican base pay more to take of the worthless slugs. :lol:

Tell you what, let's compromise - we will let in one illegal for every two dem basers we kick out. I have no doubt the majority of illegals here are better workers, better citizens, and smarter than your average dem baser.

horses4courses
11-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Balderdash. Tell your daughter not to get too pregnant.

Funny how you, and millions like you, think allowing the president do whatever he wants to is ok now, but when BUSH had congressional approval, it was wrong.

You, and millions like you, were REJECTED by AMERICA this month.
To run out now, like the chicken -shit coward he is, Obama is spitting in the face of the American voters. WE ELECTED who we want to represent us, and WE REJECTED his polices. The classless pig now says to us he will do what he pleases?

You can go to hell....don't ever bring my daughter,
or any family member, into our banter.

Fawk you, Tom

LottaKash
11-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Obama is usurping Congressional power by issuing executive orders on immigration reform. The Congress would then be within its rights to declare all-out political warfare, one being his impeachment.

Plain and simple, that is exactly what the guy is doing, and that is exactly what The Congress needs to do, otherwise, we are history...Literally...

If the Congress and the Courts don't stand up for the Constitution NOW, then we are lost to whatever comes after that....It won't be that good, I don't think...

I doubt if that will happen tho, as this current state of our union, is so bizarre compared to yesteryears, that it seems as if all of this is playing out according to a script...

Valuist
11-17-2014, 09:37 PM

If that was true, they wouldn't have taken a beating in the elections earlier this month.

Tom
11-17-2014, 09:38 PM

Fawk you, Tom

Lighten up, loser.
It was not aimed at your daughter, it was a general statement.
Are that dense?
Really?

Tom
11-17-2014, 09:39 PM
If that was true, they wouldn't have taken a beating in the elections earlier this month.

That little D by their names must mean denial!

JustRalph
11-17-2014, 09:46 PM

Fawk you, Tom

you actually thought that reference was to a real person? You are out there sometimes , you know?

Tom
11-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Elections have consequences.

horses4courses
11-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Lighten up, loser.
It was not aimed at your daughter, it was a general statement.
Are that dense?
Really?

As ever, your choice of words leaves a lot to be desired.

NJ Stinks
11-18-2014, 12:01 AM
you actually thought that reference was to a real person? You are out there sometimes , you know?

Yea. and Tom is the most level-headed guy walking down the street. :rolleyes:

classhandicapper
11-18-2014, 02:17 PM
The problem with amnesty (even when Reagan did it) is that it encourages illegal immigration among long term thinkers.

"If I go there after this amnesty, they will eventually amnesty me anyway".

Clocker
11-18-2014, 02:46 PM
The problem with amnesty (even when Reagan did it) is that it encourages illegal immigration among long term thinkers.

"If I go there after this amnesty, they will eventually amnesty me anyway".

The problem there was that Reagan trusted the Democrats when they agreed to a comprehensive program of amnesty, employer sanctions, and border enforcement. They got the amnesty, but the other two parts of the law were gutted or under-funded.

I see no reason for amnesty for those in the country illegally. Have an open registration period. Anyone guilty of past crimes is deported. Any illegals that have been living and working here in good faith get residency and work permits, but no path to citizenship unless they apply through the same process as any other non-citizen. After that period, shut it down and start deporting anyone coming in after that.

classhandicapper
11-18-2014, 02:54 PM
The problem there was that Reagan trusted the Democrats when they agreed to a comprehensive program of amnesty, employer sanctions, and border enforcement. They got the amnesty, but the other two parts of the law were gutted or under-funded.

I see no reason for amnesty for those in the country illegally. Have an open registration period. Anyone guilty of past crimes is deported. Any illegals that have been living and working here in good faith get residency and work permits, but no path to citizenship unless they apply through the same process as any other non-citizen. After that period, shut it down and start deporting anyone coming in after that.

I'd vote for you.

woodtoo
11-18-2014, 03:02 PM

How can anyone argue with this logic? I mean it just makes too much sense,

Is there any other country in the world so torn up about illegal immigration?

Tom
11-18-2014, 03:16 PM
We are patheic.

TJDave
11-18-2014, 03:17 PM
There's a simple way to deal with illegal aliens.

Don't hire them.

Tom
11-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Businesses found hiring illegals should forfeit their assets.
Just like a drug seller loses his car.

TJDave
11-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Businesses found hiring illegals should forfeit their assets.
Just like a drug seller loses his car.

Next time you're in your favorite restaurant ask the owner/manager if they hire illegals. Watch their eyes get big. ;)

Clocker
11-18-2014, 03:48 PM

Don't hire them.

That was a major nail in the coffin of the Reagan amnesty program. It all sounds good, but politicians on both sides of the aisle don't have the fortitude to stick to their guns. The same reason we can't get rid of earmarks and other pork.

Why were the employer restrictions so ineffective? During the debate in Congress, the bill's sponsors ended up watering down the sanctions on employers to attract support from the business community, explains Wayne Cornelius of the Center for Comparative Immigration Studies at U.C. San Diego. "The end result was that they essentially gutted the employer sanctions," he says.

Under the final law, all employers had to do to avoid sanctions was to make sure their workers had paperwork that "reasonably appears on its face to be genuine." If the documents were decent fakes, that wasn't the boss's problem. In fact, employers were actually penalized if they scrutinized a worker's nationality too aggressively.

What's more, industries such as agriculture, construction and landscaping often skirted the paperwork rules by relying on contractors and subcontractors. That made it easier for companies to maintain plausible deniability. In California, up to 80 percent of seasonal harvesting is done through contractors — and unauthorized immigrants are thought to make up a massive portion of the workforce.

This would be a big part of the enforcement problem today, as if Obama cared a hoot about enforcement. I'm sure phony I.D. is a big market for illegals today.

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/01/30/in-1986-congress-tried-to-solve-immigration-why-didnt-it-work/)

JustRalph
11-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Clocker and Tom are right. The only thing I would add to clockers idea is that those who want to stay have to have two citizen sponsors

Tom has it right. Death penalty for businesses.

BlueShoe
11-18-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm sure phony I.D. is a big market for illegals today.

A huge market, and not all that hard to get or very expensive, from what I have been told. If ever actually made mandatory, have to wonder just how effective E-Check would be?

TJDave
11-18-2014, 04:41 PM
A huge market, and not all that hard to get or very expensive, from what I have been told. If ever actually made mandatory, have to wonder just how effective E-Check would be?

E-Check is a ruse. No employer in industries that employ illegals is being fooled. They know who they are hiring. They are consciously breaking the law.

JustRalph
11-18-2014, 05:06 PM
some carry multiple Docs in multiple names. For multiple jobs.

My wife had a guy come into the restaurant and drop off a check for one of her employees. It was from a restaurant down the street. (His 2nd job) My wife told the delivery guy she had no employee by that name. Delivery guy says "he's worked here for two years" she walks delivery guy into the kitchen to point the guy out. He walks over and shakes hands with Juan and hands him the check. Juan explains in broken English that he uses his real name when working for my wife , but his "other name" when working for the other company.

The home office tells the wife to ignore it since he passes e check for them. It's the other place that has a problem? ........

TJDave
11-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Without asking for ID I can tell if a prospective employee comes from Texas or New Jersey.

Spanish works the same way. ;)

TJDave
11-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Juan explains in broken English that he uses his real name when working for my wife , but his "other name" when working for the other company.

The home office tells the wife to ignore it since he passes e check for them. It's the other place that has a problem? ........

How does he cash his checks? Aren't banks pretty strict about ID?

BlueShoe
11-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Spanish works the same way. ;)
Spanish speaking Americans have told me that often they can tell if a person is legal or not just by observing their manner and dress. When spoken to, they can then tell what state in Mexico they came from. Even non Spanish speakers like myself can often tell the illegals from the citizens, instincts can be quite on target at times.

Clocker
11-18-2014, 06:31 PM

The bodega down on the corner isn't.

JustRalph
11-18-2014, 06:33 PM

Check cashing stores in Spanish neighborhood. No problem for 8% of the check.

Robert Goren
11-18-2014, 07:28 PM
The republicans could pass a great grandmother driving a 48 Packard.:) I am in as bad a shape as the republicans.:blush:

Rwahi1
11-18-2014, 11:06 PM
ooY_j9h5FbQ

Clocker
11-18-2014, 11:15 PM
"You're all illegal"...according to this guy. Ha!

That's what happens when you don't secure your borders. :p

TJDave
11-19-2014, 02:35 AM
The bodega down on the corner isn't.

So, how does the bodega clear the check?

Clocker
11-19-2014, 11:05 AM
So, how does the bodega clear the check?

I don't know, maybe deposit it in their bank account, with all the other checks they took in that day?

PaceAdvantage
11-19-2014, 03:47 PM
As ever, your choice of words leaves a lot to be desired.Coming from the person who thought "Fawk you" was the proper choice...precious...

tucker6
11-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Don't hire them.
I thought you were going to suggest mine fields.

horses4courses
11-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Coming from the person who thought "Fawk you" was the proper choice...precious...

Just hadn't run into that phraseology before, that's all.
Caught me off guard.

They were obviously words chosen by someone who doesn't have a daughter.
Crude and obnoxious - nothing new around here from certain people.

Words that might be uttered by some idiot drunk at a bar.
The type of guy who, after saying them, wakes up on the
floor spitting out teeth. Generally speaking, of course.

JustRalph
11-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Just hadn't run into that phraseology before, that's all.
Caught me off guard.

They were obviously words chosen by someone who doesn't have a daughter.
Crude and obnoxious - nothing new around here from certain people.

Words that might be uttered by some idiot drunk at a bar.
The type of guy who, after saying them, wakes up on the
floor spitting out teeth. Generally speaking, of course.

Nice way to call Tom a drunk, and not call Tom a drunk. Is that you Gruber?

horses4courses
11-19-2014, 09:39 PM
Nice way to call Tom a drunk, and not call Tom a drunk. Is that you Gruber?

No, it's not Gruber.
I don't know who he is.

Nor do I know anything about Tom's personal habits.
He just needs to watch his mouth (keyboard) sometimes.

Tom
11-19-2014, 10:03 PM
You need to get out more.
If you can't handle it here, your should consider kumbya.com

TJDave
11-20-2014, 02:39 PM
G.O.P. Unveils Immigration Plan: “We Must Make America Somewhere No One Wants to Live”

OVEMBER 19, 2014

BY ANDY BOROWITZ

(The Borowitz Report)—Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell unveiled his party’s long-awaited plan on immigration on Wednesday, telling reporters, “We must make America somewhere no one wants to live.”

Appearing with House Speaker John Boehner, McConnell said that, in contrast to President Obama’s “Band-Aid fixes,” the Republican plan would address “the root cause of immigration, which is that the United States is, for the most part, habitable.”

“For years, immigrants have looked to America as a place where their standard of living was bound to improve,” McConnell said. “We’re going to change that.”

Boehner said that the Republicans’ plan would reduce or eliminate “immigration magnets,” such as the social safety net, public education, clean air, and drinkable water.

The Speaker added that the plan would also include the repeal of Obamacare, calling healthcare “catnip for immigrants.”

Attempting, perhaps, to tamp down excitement about the plan, McConnell warned that turning America into a dystopian hellhole that repels immigrants “won’t happen overnight.”

“Our crumbling infrastructure and soaring gun violence are a good start, but much work still needs to be done,” he said. “When Americans start leaving the country, we’ll know that we’re on the right track.”

In closing, the two congressional leaders expressed pride in the immigration plan, noting that Republicans had been working to make it possible for the past thirty years.

Clocker
11-20-2014, 03:04 PM
G.O.P. Unveils Immigration Plan: “We Must Make America Somewhere No One Wants to Live”

Sounds like Alan Grayson is off his meds again.

Is that a heavy handed (failed) attempt at humor, or is it a real post from one of the inmates at Democratic Underground? It is often hard to tell the difference.

reckless
11-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Next time you're in your favorite restaurant ask the owner/manager if they hire illegals. Watch their eyes get big. ;)

I stopped going to a somewhat nice local restaurant. Simply put, everyone that worked there (besides the owner) was an illegal. My wife and I used to patronized the place 2-3 times a month and we did this for almost 5 years.

I ran into the owner one morning and he asked how come I don't see him anymore. He initially asked if the food was bad and could that be the reason why I no longer visited.

I told him that it bothered me that all his workers were illegals. I also mentioned that there were many local residents that could use the work. People that he knew even and how come he never bothered hiring any of them?

He said, "if I did, I'd have to jack up the prices for my meals."

I called him out on that and said: I don't believe that's the reason. You already charge $18.50 for a small bowl of spaghetti and meatballs with horrible bread. Who the hell are you kidding?

He walked away abruptly and when I saw him again 3-4 weeks later, he walked right by me without saying a word.

JustRalph
11-20-2014, 07:07 PM
They love him over at the chamber of commerce

reckless
11-21-2014, 11:46 AM
They love him over at the chamber of commerce

Yes, selfish and corrupt corporate America are the secret driving force behind all this ilegal immigration and the destruction of this once-great country.

The internationalist Fortune 1000, along with the localized Chamber of Commerce, want an uneducated and unskilled workforce and a piss-poor underclass to buy their cheap and low-quality products. They'll get all that and more with this amnesty and 'immigration reform'.

Robert Goren
11-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Yes, selfish and corrupt corporate America are the secret driving force behind all this ilegal immigration and the destruction of this once-great country.

The internationalist Fortune 1000, along with the localized Chamber of Commerce, want an uneducated and unskilled workforce and a piss-poor underclass to buy their cheap and low-quality products. They'll get all that and more with this amnesty and 'immigration reform'.The employers who hire illegals are too cheap to belong the Chamber. I know because I use to belong to the Chamber for business reasons and I knew businesses that hired illegals also because of business dealings. The Chamber is and is not a lot of things, but being a supporter of hiring illegals is not what the Chamber supports.
I will say this much as person who was involved in hiring, the lack of good ID system for identifying US citizens makes it really easy to hire an illegal unintentionally. The state IDs/driver licenses as means of checking for citizenship is a joke. $50 will buy you an ID that nobody can spot as a phony.

TJDave
11-21-2014, 01:35 PM
I will say this much as person who was involved in hiring, the lack of good ID system for identifying US citizens makes it really easy to hire an illegal unintentionally. The state IDs/driver licenses as means of checking for citizenship is a joke. $50 will buy you an ID that nobody can spot as a phony.

A phony ID makes it easy to hire an illegal intentionally.

A properly worded employment questionnaire with verifiable references will expose most all violators. Of course, difficulty with the language would be a dead giveaway.

Unintentionally hiring illegals is not happenstance.

horses4courses
12-29-2014, 03:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4cRh9ACMAAuHt5.jpg

lamboguy
12-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Obama leads the league in deportations. it took GW Bush 2 years to deport 2 million people, Obama did it in 6 years.

JustRalph
12-29-2014, 03:50 PM
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tiny-fraction-of-30000-border-surge-families-children-deported/article/2557940

Jeb is going to run on this shit

Clocker
12-29-2014, 04:41 PM
http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/193722.jpg...