PDA

View Full Version : McLeod Jr. wipes out Sanders

PhantomOnTour
11-17-2014, 11:09 AM
That was a brutal and vicious hit in the Rams-Broncos game.
It was also totally legal and not deserving of a flag.

At normal speed it appeared that McLeod Jr. led with his helmet, but slow mo reveals a perfect "shoulder to shoulder" shot.

gheuks
11-17-2014, 11:19 AM
i do not disagree with you, but im guessing the argument would be that he was a "defenseless receiver"

Robert Fischer
11-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Great highlight play by the defender, and ultimately a bad call, but it is very easy to excuse the referee. It did 'look' like helmet-helmet at live speed. They don't review those type of calls. The real test will be whether or not the NFL issues a fine on McLeod.

i do not disagree with you, but im guessing the argument would be that he was a "defenseless receiver"
Good point.
That is a rule with a loot of wiggle-room.

burnsy
11-17-2014, 11:34 AM
The Rams defense looks like a Tour de force at times. They beat the Broncos like a red headed step son yesterday. Very physical. Peyton felt the heat all day and people were literally being carried off the field. Unfortunately, they are a young team that is very inconsistent. Peyton is really good but when you put that much air under some of your passes it gives these guys time to adjust and load up........that's what the secondary was doing.

MutuelClerk
11-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Hits like those, hard, perfectly timed and for whatever reason penalized are driving me away from watching football. Blame the QB for hanging the pass, or usually leading the receiver over the middle of the field. I understand wanting to stop the missile like headshot, but this was a perfectly timed hard hitting break up of a pass. It's football. Sometimes it hurts.

PhantomOnTour
11-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Hits like those, hard, perfectly timed and for whatever reason penalized are driving me away from watching football. Blame the QB for hanging the pass, or usually leading the receiver over the middle of the field. I understand wanting to stop the missile like headshot, but this was a perfectly timed hard hitting break up of a pass. It's football. Sometimes it hurts.
It was a thing of beauty.

I really dislike the "defenseless receiver" rule...too vague and leaves too much room for interpretation.
A receiver can put himself in any kind of precarious situation and if you hit him too hard it's a penalty.
Some responsibility MUST fall on the receiver.

Marshall Bennett
11-17-2014, 12:07 PM
It was a thing of beauty.

I really dislike the "defenseless receiver" rule...too vague and leaves too much room for interpretation.

As players grow and get stronger as has been the case for years, rules change to accommodate them. Someone would likely lose their life eventually.
I like the rule myself.

Robert Fischer
11-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Offensive coordinators, QBs and WRs are smart and they know the rules too.

They're pushing the envelope, and aren't afraid to send a player out in a flag-football pass pattern, knowing he is dedicating 100% to the catch and 0% to defending himself.

It's an easy call for the NFL.
Lawsuits and offense beats defense and grumpy fans every time.

JustRalph
11-17-2014, 02:51 PM
i think it's official. the violence of the game has now reached a point where players can no longer hold up. injuries dictate who wins and who loses now. When 4 starters go out in the first half (Denver) and a team falls apart thereafter.....and I agree that wasn't the only reason they lost.......entire divisions can be rocked by 3-4 injuries.......I think it makes for a an entirely different game.

Knees and ankles can't take the speed and velocity anymore.