PDA

View Full Version : Stuff That Makes You Feel Old

badcompany
11-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Was watching the Packers/Eagles game. During a kickoff, they played Ozzy Osbourne's classic "Crazy Train."

I Googled the song and saw it came out in 1981, 33 years ago.

Ouch!

TJDave
11-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Listening to Ozzy Osbourne makes me feel young.

Not his music, just hearing him speak.

horses4courses
11-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Lots of things do, but I sure hope that's the case for decades to come. ;)

JustRalph
11-16-2014, 10:31 PM

If you start understanding him.....start to worry

Tom
11-16-2014, 11:08 PM
I got an email today with the updated list of the Class of 69 from our 45th reunion last month.

So many names in blue - deceased.
I was listening to Meet the Beatles - an out in 1964 - when I got it.

SVx-Q4aBmqE

horses4courses
11-16-2014, 11:14 PM
I got an email today with the updated list of the Class of 69 from our 45th reunion last month.

So many names in blue - deceased.
I was listening to Meet the Beatles - an out in 1964 - when I got it.

SVx-Q4aBmqE

Still got all the moves, man :cool:

Tor Ekman
11-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Tom Seaver turned 70 yesterday

Tom
11-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Tom Seaver turned 70 yesterday
:faint:

Greyfox
11-17-2014, 12:22 PM
As the years have gone on, more and more young female store or service station tellers are saying to me:

"Hi Dearie, that will be $15.49."
or
"Will that be everything today Sweetie?"

They never called me Dearie or Sweetie a couple of decades ago.

tucker6
11-17-2014, 01:23 PM
As the years have gone on, more and more young female store or service station tellers are saying to me:

"Hi Dearie, that will be $15.49."
or
"Will that be everything today Sweetie?"

They never called me Dearie or Sweetie a couple of decades ago.
How's it feel to be harmless to the opposite sex? :D

BlueShoe
11-17-2014, 01:28 PM

Who is Ozzy Osbourne and what did he do, have never heard of him? Could Google him, but will let you guys reply first.

dartman51
11-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Who is Ozzy Osbourne and what did he do, have never heard of him? Could Google him, but will let you guys reply first.

Other than totally frying his brain with drugs and alcohol, and biting the head off a bat on stage, he was front man for BLACK SABBATH, in the 70's.

ReplayRandall
11-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Went into a music store the other day and asked where I could find CD's from Steely Dan.........The answer was "WHO"?

BlueShoe
11-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Other than totally frying his brain with drugs and alcohol, and biting the head off a bat on stage, he was front man for BLACK SABBATH, in the 70's.
Which leads to the next question; who was Black Sabbath, or for that matter, Steely Dan? Sorry, but due to my dislike of Rock, in the 70's I had "Gone Country." :) The only 70's rock groups I liked and can remember are the Bee Gees and KC and the Sunshine Band, the disco sounds.

MutuelClerk
11-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Disliking rock at it's peak? My condolences.

BlueShoe
11-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Disliking rock at it's peak? My condolences.
Congratulations on my having musical taste more in order. Imo when the Beetles and 'Stones came along, they destroyed popular music forever, and it has never recovered.

ldiatone
11-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Congratulations on my having musical taste more in order. Imo when the Beetles and 'Stones came along, they destroyed popular music forever, and it has never recovered.
have you seen the movie "Iron Man" well the last song is by Black Sabbath'
Iron Man. plus other assorted love songs...opps thats derek and the dominos and eric clapton who, i over listened to a young girl say "he did Stairway to Heaven"
but was recorded by the Led Zeppelin, Who did the theme songs for the CSI tv seris and Tommy a rock opera which leds me to Mozart and Handel who wrote the Magic flute and Giuilo Cesare and i can't embed on this forum cause i cant figure it out yet......did i miss anything?

Rookies
11-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Might have told this one here before.

Fortunate to have several, young, intelligent, attractive female friends from work.

Several years ago, after I returned to the office at the end of the day, two of the closest approached me and said:

"We were wondering. Which event in human history happened first?

The date you started work here

OR

Were we born?" :blush:

(You know the answer...)

THAT was a heads up! :rolleyes:

TJDave
11-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Imo when the Beetles and 'Stones came along, they destroyed popular music forever.

Way before that. Elvis Presley destroyed popular music. Pat Boone destroyed music in general.

Dark Horse
11-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Note to self - Don't return to this thread. Unless you really want to know why horse racing lost touch with the times.

proximity
11-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Was watching the Packers/Eagles game. During a kickoff, they played Ozzy Osbourne's classic "Crazy Train."

Ouch!

one of my sisters robbed the cradle and one night we had to explain to explain the guns n roses era to her then fiance. :eek:

on the young side, i still get carded at the racino from time to time. :)

OTM Al
11-17-2014, 08:43 PM

Ouch!

I can't think of records from that time without thinking of those Columbia House record club offers. It was usually a rip off but if you waited for the right promotion you could get a decent deal. Wonder how long it's been since that went out of business.

jballscalls
11-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Note to self - Don't return to this thread. Unless you really want to know why horse racing lost touch with the times.

haha!!

Tom
11-17-2014, 09:33 PM
I got a lot of good albums for 11 cents, Al!
Funny, I was thinking about them the other day -wondering if they were still around. The big part of the Sunday paper was going over the list in the flier endlessly, trying to narrow down what ones I wanted too order.

5s7_WbiR79E

OTM Al
11-17-2014, 09:57 PM
I got a lot of good albums for 11 cents, Al!
Funny, I was thinking about them the other day -wondering if they were still around. The big part of the Sunday paper was going over the list in the flier endlessly, trying to narrow down what ones I wanted too order.

5s7_WbiR79E

The trick was to have the full catalogue. They would send anything they had but usually what they advertised you either had or didn't want.

badcompany
11-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Way before that. Elvis Presley destroyed popular music. Pat Boone destroyed music in general.

The irony is that Ozzy's guitarist, who co-wrote "Crazy Train," the late, great Randi Rhodes, was a classically trained guitarist, who could've just as easily been a violin prodigy.

ZcoweoZ6jpM&sns=em

jballscalls
11-18-2014, 11:00 AM
The irony is that Ozzy's guitarist, who co-wrote "Crazy Train," the late, great Randi Rhodes, was a classically trained guitarist, who could've just as easily been a violin prodigy.

ZcoweoZ6jpM&sns=em

the Mr. Crowley solo is my favorite of his. I remember on one of the two albums Rhodes did he played a classical piece he wrote, called Dee

magwell
11-18-2014, 11:39 AM
When I hardly ever see a pay phone........;)

RaceBookJoe
11-18-2014, 12:09 PM
the Mr. Crowley solo is my favorite of his. I remember on one of the two albums Rhodes did he played a classical piece he wrote, called Dee

Dee was a nice short and fairly easy tune to play. I loved Randy's playing on those 2 albums. Had to learn all his solos back in the day, even though the Crazy Train solo is probably the most well-known, my favorite one to play was "Over the Mountain". The switch between the 1st part of the solo and the 2nd part I just love...where you do a 3 fret hammer trill while reaching over with your other hand to grab/pull/frig the same string.
Always l liked the solo in "Believer", "Mr Crowley" and "Revelation Mother Earth" too.

Ozzy always had a decent guitarist working with him, Jake E Lee was decent and Zakk Wylde is a monster

Actor
11-18-2014, 06:47 PM
What makes me feel old?

Depends.

Robert Goren
11-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Might have told this one here before.

Fortunate to have several, young, intelligent, attractive female friends from work.

Several years ago, after I returned to the office at the end of the day, two of the closest approached me and said:

"We were wondering. Which event in human history happened first?

The date you started work here

OR

Were we born?" :blush:

(You know the answer...)

THAT was a heads up! :rolleyes:The correct answer to that question is "Tell you mother, I remember her fondly." :) I actual had a co-worker say " Did your mother teach you every thing she knows about sex?"

Zaf
11-18-2014, 10:04 PM

ZcoweoZ6jpM&sns=em

Wow, great version of that classic song. Tragedy the way Randy Rhodes met his demise. Think there was a book written about it. The bass player in that video, is that Rudy Sarzo ?

Z

Canarsie
11-19-2014, 08:57 AM
If you guys and gals want to revisit time there is no better place to do it with the internet archive. When I saw the charmin commercial with mr. whipple I said to myself "how did you think it was so funny way back then".

All kidding aside they have tons of dead and other groups concerts, audio, texts, computer stuff, and people posting. One can surely spend quite a long time looking for treasures that can't be found anywhere else.

It's also very nice to leave a contribution if you use the site moderately or higher. The amount of time and effort to retrieve some stuff that put smiles on someone's faith is worth a small contribution. Doing so will ensure that future generations go back to a high tech time capsule and review how the world and our nation lived and grew.

Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies .

https://archive.org/

Wayback Machine go browse history

https://archive.org/web/

RaceBookJoe
11-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Wow, great version of that classic song. Tragedy the way Randy Rhodes met his demise. Think there was a book written about it. The bass player in that video, is that Rudy Sarzo ?

Z

Yeah, Rudy Sarzo playing bass...I believe it was him that wrote the book you are talking about, book might be called "Riding the Crazy Train" or something like that.

RaceBookJoe
11-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Yeah, Rudy Sarzo playing bass...I believe it was him that wrote the book you are talking about, book might be called "Riding the Crazy Train" or something like that.

Edit : Rudy Sarzo's book is called "Aboard the Crazy Train", I haven't read it yet, just glanced through it at B&N.

badcompany
11-19-2014, 04:25 PM
hDCK_yyzoh8&sns=em

Mr. Crowley from the same set. Equally amazing.

RaceBookJoe
11-19-2014, 07:54 PM
hDCK_yyzoh8&sns=em

Mr. Crowley from the same set. Equally amazing.

Interesting video here I found of the solo I liked that I mentioned in post 29. Its an isolated guitar track of "Over the Mountain", I believe the solo starts around 2:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ICdOQlxGcI

PhantomOnTour
11-19-2014, 08:30 PM

Z
Ozzy - Randi - Rudy....who's the drummer?

Carmine Appice?

EDIT:
after a little research it looks like Tommy Aldridge

RaceBookJoe
11-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Ozzy - Randi - Rudy....who's the drummer?

Carmine Appice?

EDIT:
after a little research it looks like Tommy Aldridge

Correct Aldridge, but Appice ( his brother Vinny played for ozzy also at one time) was the drummer when I saw the "Bark At The Moon" tour in 1983...sidenote, Motley Crue was the opening act.

Valuist
11-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Which leads to the next question; who was Black Sabbath, or for that matter, Steely Dan? Sorry, but due to my dislike of Rock, in the 70's I had "Gone Country." :) The only 70's rock groups I liked and can remember are the Bee Gees and KC and the Sunshine Band, the disco sounds.

Ever hear of the genre referred to as metal? Sabbath was the original. Nobody had ever sounded like them, and arguably, nobody has since. Never has music sounded so evil.....gotta love it.

In terms of sounding old, I feel old when I hear music of today and it all sounds the same to me. I remember hearing older people say that back in the 70s and 80s.

RBJ, speaking of Sabbath and Vinnie Appice, he never played for Ozzy. He replaced Bill Ward in the Dio led Sabbath, which later on would become Heaven and Hell.

Tom
11-19-2014, 10:08 PM
I saw Sabbath's first album in the store and had no clue who they were, but the cover was interesting so I bought it.

Got it home and played it and my jaw dropped! Awesome cuts! I later got the 8 Track and played it in my convertible all summer long - Iron Man and Paranoid at full volume......life was good.

RaceBookJoe
11-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Ever hear of the genre referred to as metal? Sabbath was the original. Nobody had ever sounded like them, and arguably, nobody has since. Never has music sounded so evil.....gotta love it.

In terms of sounding old, I feel old when I hear music of today and it all sounds the same to me. I remember hearing older people say that back in the 70s and 80s.

RBJ, speaking of Sabbath and Vinnie Appice, he never played for Ozzy. He replaced Bill Ward in the Dio led Sabbath, which later on would become Heaven and Hell.

you are correct about Vinny, I get that era a bit muddled with all of the musical chairs some of these guys played ;)

RaceBookJoe
11-20-2014, 09:07 AM
I saw Sabbath's first album in the store and had no clue who they were, but the cover was interesting so I bought it.

Got it home and played it and my jaw dropped! Awesome cuts! I later got the 8 Track and played it in my convertible all summer long - Iron Man and Paranoid at full volume......life was good.

I remember reading somewhere that they recorded that album for under $1000 and I also think they did it in a day or 2 at most...really quick session though. not sure if that was a rumor or true

HUSKER55
11-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Remember Ray Orbison and Pretty Woman?

Story I heard was they made it while their wives went shopping.

badcompany
11-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Cut Blue Shoe some slack. When he was growing up, this is how women dressed at the beach.

http://ladyeconomistdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/bathing-suit-women-in-bathing-suits-on-collaroy-beach-1908-photographed-by-colin-caird-credit-library-of-new-south-wales-via-flickr-commons.jpg

OTM Al
11-20-2014, 10:48 AM

That was their second album, Paranoid, but a pretty good one at that. First album, Black Sabbath, was also pretty good and came out about six months before, but had no big hits on it. That was the one with the picture of what kind of looked like a witch in a village. Some credit it being the first heavy metal album. If I remember right in the credits, songs are credited to John Osbourne and in the band lineup he is listed as Ossy Osbourne. Think I still have my vinyl copies of both around somewhere.

ShenanigansGirl
11-20-2014, 01:43 PM
That was their second album, Paranoid, but a pretty good one at that. First album, Black Sabbath, was also pretty good and came out about six months before, but had no big hits on it. That was the one with the picture of what kind of looked like a witch in a village. Some credit it being the first heavy metal album. If I remember right in the credits, songs are credited to John Osbourne and in the band lineup he is listed as Ossy Osbourne. Think I still have my vinyl copies of both around somewhere.

Actually, OTMAL, you HAD those albums, but your parrot ate them. :p

OTM Al
11-20-2014, 01:49 PM
I believe he only got to the M-Z shelf.....

Tom
11-20-2014, 02:41 PM
I have the first album on vinyl.
It is what I call a 27 cent album.
That means I need to tape a quarter and two pennies to the needle, so that it will pass through the skips.

Remember those good old days? :lol::lol:
Almost as much fun as the 8 Track days, when you stuck a match book under the cassette to get rid of the double tacking.

badcompany
12-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Was just scrolling through the cable guide and saw "Caddyshack" was on. I noticed the year it came out, 1980, 34 going on 35 years ago. Oh, God :(

FocusWiz
12-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Was whistling "Donkey Serenade" this week. Someone asked me what the song was. I mentioned the name "Allan Jones" and got blank stares. I mentioned his son, Jack Jones....more blank stares.

NJ Stinks
12-21-2014, 03:23 AM
Thanksgiving day at my niece's house....they have a basket in the driveway and a basketball on the lawn. I start shooting for the first time in about 9 years. First 7 or 8 shots are barely hitting the front of the rim. Then I start knocking them down....

Time for some jump shots....let's just say my lack of agility made me feel older than I ever felt before. No wonder I still stink at golf....

MutuelClerk
12-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Wishing someone Merry Christmas and offending them because I didn't say Happy holidays. Best part is they're Christian. I'm glad I'm old....

Mystic
12-25-2014, 07:35 PM

He changed everything. Not sure about "destroyed".. What did he destroy?

Robert Goren
12-25-2014, 07:52 PM
I heard a new Christmas song this year and thought it was pretty good and was patting myself on the back for being up to date in my music tastes. Then I found Fairytale of New York was recorded 27 years and the new female artist on the record that I fell in love with, Kristy MacColl, had been dead for 14 years.

Stillriledup
12-25-2014, 08:11 PM

Ouch!

This is because people who know the song Crazy Train have/spend more money than those who are too young to know it.

#NFLGREED

PhantomOnTour
12-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Today at our Christmas gathering my niece was playing with a Yo-Yo, a Spirograph (yes!!!) and had a little turntable spinning some vinyl...wow.

My mother bought her a little turntable and gave her some old records she had (Broadway musical soundtracks)...Annie, Sound Of Music etc...
Spent half the day hearing, "We'd like to thank ya' Herbert Hoover"

cj's dad
12-25-2014, 09:15 PM
Realized today that there are zero blood relatives in my family older than me.

JustRalph
12-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Realized today that there are zero blood relatives in my family older than me.

Ok guys.......Top that! :lol: :lol:

thaskalos
12-26-2014, 05:05 AM
Ok guys.......Top that! :lol: :lol:

When I got out of bed this morning...I tripped over my balls.

JustRalph
12-26-2014, 05:33 AM
When I got out of bed this morning...I tripped over my balls.

Now I know why they sell those rabbit slippers

DJofSD
12-26-2014, 09:46 AM
This made me feel old when talking with relatives after Christmas dinner: Joe Cocker passing a few days ago.

badcompany
12-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Deborah Harry of Blondie will be turning 70 this year :(

Marshall Bennett
12-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Amazing how time really ages the old rockers. Booze and drugs has to be a contributing factor. Keith Richards, Neil Young, and Jimmy Page just to name a few. They look like shit.

thaskalos
12-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Amazing how time really ages the old rockers. Booze and drugs has to be a contributing factor. Keith Richards, Neil Young, and Jimmy Page just to name a few. They look like shit.

Not all of them...

http://mix1065fm.cbslocal.com/2012/03/05/what-they-look-like-now-billy-idol-photos/

kingfin66
12-26-2014, 11:24 PM
And Billy is, by his own admission, still not sober. Maybe that is his secret. That and he is not 70 like the others.

Robert Goren
12-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Amazing how time really ages the old rockers. Booze and drugs has to be a contributing factor. Keith Richards, Neil Young, and Jimmy Page just to name a few. They look like shit.They are not the only ones. I keep wondering who that old man is looking back at me from my shaving mirror.

BlueShoe
12-27-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm still five years older than Mick Jagger, and that is never going to change. :blush: :( It would be nice though, if I could get a bit more Satisfaction. :D

Actor
12-27-2014, 06:48 PM
They are not the only ones. I keep wondering who that old man is looking back at me from my shaving mirror.The old man who looks back at me from the mirror is my father.