PDA

View Full Version : The new war protest...quit ur job

JustRalph
11-13-2014, 10:58 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/11/can-quitting-your-job-help-stop-war/382648/?google_editors_picks=true

Purposely not paying Federal Taxes....in protest

Interesting theory

Dave Schwartz
11-14-2014, 12:13 PM
“I was cheating myself by spending all those hours at work,” ...

So, the author has discovered that a simpler life is wonderful, what with those who go to work more regularly essentially supporting his non-working habits.

I am not referring to welfare or other subsistence programs. I am referring to things such as building schools, repairing roads, improving the community, etc.

I consider his to be a totally self-centered lifestyle.

While it is his right to live this way, it is a non-productive life.

IMHO, he has created his version of Utopia. He is welcome to it.

I further suggest that as much as the right wing gets tired of supporting the draw down of illegal immigrants, this guy is worse. I know of several fine Mexican people who work their asses off for peanuts (or less) and would jump at the chance to have an opportunity to become truly productive; to build more for their families and for their communities.

IMHO, this man is a disgrace to humanity.

Again, I say, he has every right to be as he chooses to be and I respect that right. I just do not respect his personal choice.

Clocker
11-14-2014, 12:26 PM
I think that the "thought process" is irrational. What percentage of your taxes go to "war"? It is some portion of the percentage that goes to the military. Some of that spending benefits you in the form of national defense, national disaster relief, etc.

But the other side of it is that the protest has no impact. If you really want to do something about "war", keep your job, cut back on personal consumption and become proactive. Get involved with politics (UGH!!), contribute time and money to anti-war candidates, etc.

What these guys are doing is sticking their heads in the sand. They are ignoring the "problem". They are letting other people fight their battles for them, both the literal battles of national defense and the moral battle against immoral wars.

DJofSD
11-14-2014, 12:47 PM
So, the author has discovered that a simpler life is wonderful, what with those who go to work more regularly essentially supporting his non-working habits.

I am not referring to welfare or other subsistence programs. I am referring to things such as building schools, repairing roads, improving the community, etc.

I further suggest that as much as the right wing gets tired of supporting the draw down of illegal immigrants, this guy is worse. I know of several fine Mexican people who work their asses off for peanuts (or less) and would jump at the chance to have an opportunity to become truly productive; to build more for their families and for their communities.

Again, I say, he has every right to be as he chooses to be and I respect that right. I just do not respect his personal choice.
One aspect of the situation, he is not doing anything illegal. However, the question arises: is he acting immorally or unethitically?

JustRalph
11-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Dave, I'm with you on this one. Including the part about illegals. The guy in the article is really letting down his close neighbors more than anybody else. I'm all for dodging taxes, but there is a minimum you should pay.

I find that about 20% of illegals deserve to stay. Just my viewpoint from having lots of contact with them over the years. Remember, I have seen the bad side of it as a PO and as a 911 operator.

20% in my experience work their butts off and are positive additions to our society. I have helped some become legal. The right way. Those guys would tell you they are against what is going on now. They are also for deportation until they do it right. It's just not fair/right to wave a magic wand and make people legal. After spending a ton of money and jumping through hoops for five years, waving a wand looks pretty insulting to those who went the right way.

I also believe that once Congress comes up with a "path to citizenship" most won't comply anyway......

JustRalph
11-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Related

thaskalos
11-14-2014, 01:33 PM

Mighty strong words. IMO...such words should be reserved for criminals. We can't, in good faith, say that we "respect" a man's right to do or be as he chooses in his life...while, at the same time, calling him a "disgrace to humanity", when we see him actually go out and do it.

This man is operating withing the legal standards set by the law...and he isn't hurting anyone. I don't necessarily agree with his motives for what he is doing...but he is allowed to make his own choices without any criticism, or insults, from me.

Yes...most people choose to live a "productive" life...but this ambition is not usually driven by the desire to pay more taxes to the government. We want to live a productive life mainly because we want to better provide for our families. Family responsibilities are what actually drive us to the "ambitious" life that most of us choose to lead. And the stuff that we happen to acquire in this life, we hope to eventually pass on to our loved ones -- thus lessening their OWN burden, in their OWN lives.

These men have no wives and no kids. For whom should they be working...for the government? Aren't they allowed to lead an abnormal life, since they find themselves in rather abnormal circumstances? Since when should someone be called a "disgrace to humanity"...simply because he chooses to live life on his own terms?

Live and let live, I say. We don't all follow the same call...

boxcar
11-14-2014, 01:38 PM
One aspect of the situation, he is not doing anything illegal. However, the question arises: is he acting immorally or unethitically?

Yes, he is!

DJofSD
11-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Yes, he is!
OK, you could expand on that.

What if you were to say he retired early? Now what?

boxcar
11-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Mighty strong words. IMO...such words should be reserved for criminals. We can't, in good faith, say that we "respect" a man's right to do or be as he chooses in his life...while, at the same time, calling him a "disgrace to humanity", when we see him actually go out and do it.

Nonsense! Assuming, a person's choice is legal he certainly has the "right" to make smart or downright stupid choices. However, most of us only applaud the former and rightfully criticize the latter. And then there is the issue of whether a "legal" choice is moral or immoral.

Clocker
11-14-2014, 01:50 PM
And then there is the issue of whether a "legal" choice is moral or immoral.

Do you mean according to his morality or yours?

boxcar
11-14-2014, 01:53 PM
OK, you could expand on that.

What if you were to say he retired early? Now what?

From purely a biblical standpoint the man should be productively engaged in work -- not only to support himself and his family but to meet the needs of others. Unless this man is independently wealthy, which isn't too likely if he quit a job, then the question becomes: How is he going to meet the biblical mandate?

It sounds to me as though this guy may be another misguided, disillusioned peacenik.

boxcar
11-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Do you mean according to his morality or yours?

Neither. God's word.

Clocker
11-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Neither. God's word.

His God or yours?

Robert Goren
11-14-2014, 02:03 PM
People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. There are people here who make their living gambling or trading stocks. Even they don't, they wish they could. Not exactly productive activities.

PaceAdvantage
11-14-2014, 02:06 PM
People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. There are people here who make their living gambling or trading stocks. Even they don't, they wish they could. Not exactly productive activities.Don't be silly.

And when you reply, please note that I have not condemned the topic of this thread for their lifestyle choices.

thaskalos
11-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Nonsense! Assuming, a person's choice is legal he certainly has the "right" to make smart or downright stupid choices. However, most of us only applaud the former and rightfully criticize the latter. And then there is the issue of whether a "legal" choice is moral or immoral.

And this coming from the man who professes to follow the teachings of a wise teacher who once declared..."Let him who is without sin cast the first stone..."

You are a walking contradiction, Boxcar.

thaskalos
11-14-2014, 02:22 PM
From purely a biblical standpoint the man should be productively engaged in work -- not only to support himself and his family but to meet the needs of others. Unless this man is independently wealthy, which isn't too likely if he quit a job, then the question becomes: How is he going to meet the biblical mandate?

It sounds to me as though this guy may be another misguided, disillusioned peacenik.

What a question... :rolleyes:

thaskalos
11-14-2014, 02:23 PM
His God or yours?

Boxcar's God is the ONLY God. The rest of us are all disillusioned.

boxcar
11-14-2014, 03:06 PM
And this coming from the man who professes to follow the teachings of a wise teacher who once declared..."Let him who is without sin cast the first stone..."

You are a walking contradiction, Boxcar.

No, you are! You have taken the above verse out of its context. Go back and read it in its context. I'm not condemning anyone. I'm simply stating what the bible teaches and it appears that anyone who wants to lounge around for the rest of his life in the name of world peace would be in violation of scripture.

Also, The same wise teacher also taught that we should judge righteously.

boxcar
11-14-2014, 03:08 PM
His God or yours?

There is only one God, although sinners tend think there is more than one. That way they think they can muddy up the waters.

thaskalos
11-14-2014, 03:19 PM
No, you are! You have taken the above verse out of its context. Go back and read it in its context. I'm not condemning anyone. I'm simply stating what the bible teaches and it appears that anyone who wants to lounge around for the rest of his life in the name of world peace would be in violation of scripture.

Also, The same wise teacher also taught that we should judge righteously.

He did? Then who was the guy who said..."Judge not, lest ye be judged?"

Tom
11-14-2014, 03:34 PM

Or just another anchor.
No work, no food. Simple rule of life.
Thin the herd.

HUSKER55
11-14-2014, 04:53 PM
real men don't act like that.